My First Brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Brick

If I remember correctly, after about 6 months of training I tried to break a brick. I failed, many times, and my palm was in pain. I thought that there must be a secret.
    I was trying to find the right method, and found out that the trick was in a small detail - you have to lift the brick just a little bit by pressing on the one side just before hitting it. Its easy to find tutorials on the internet,

for instance here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuuvNtC9P1o

After that I forgot about it and did not try it any more. At the same time, my chi was building up every day, but I did not notice it.

Then, after some time, I found the old videos showing Sigungs senior students breaking the bricks in a "normal" way, without cheating. I was bit confused.

But after seeing the Cosmos Palm Test Video I was quite surprised.

My Sifu mentioned many times, that with big amount of internal force breaking a brick is a piece of cake (and nice party trick). Sifu told me many times to avoid fighting and to be careful with people, even with hand-shakes. I trust my Sifu, but I thought that He is trying to be kind to me. I was sure that I need at least a couple of more years of practice to reach that level.

We do not focus on testing the force in our school, and to ask Sifu for demonstration will be rude and disrespectful. I just learned to trust my Sifu and did what He told me, even if I did not believe in myself and my strength.

Last Christmas I visited my girlfriends parents. We were chatting and suddenly they asked my about my practice. Its a big, important part of my life and my gf mentioned before that I train every day. They were interested in Chi Kung, Chi in general and what one can do with it. I told them about great benefits, but they were not convinced. I guess its typical in the west - people just dont believe in chi. So I showed them Cosmos Palm Test video. They were more impressed, but still sceptical. Suddenly, my gfs father said - well, there are many bricks laying at the back of the house, maybe you can show me how to break one?

I was surprised and confused. I did not believe in myself and was afraid to fail. It will be such a shame. If I fail, they will never again want to listen to me talking about Chi Kung or Kung Fu, at least without smiling ironically.

We went outside and he picked up a thick, old brick. We supported it with two other bricks and he tried to break it with his palm. He tried couple of times, but his palm was just bounced off. Then was my turn. I relaxed as much I could and let my chi flow. Then I did couple of One Finger Zen (just sending chi to the finger), focused, aimed in the middle of the brick and executed fast slap.

I broke it in first try!. It was really easy and with totally no pain. I was really surprised, actually more than my gfs father!

I did couple of Lifting The Sky just to be safe and we went back home.

That experience opened my eyes. If I had any doubts before, they just disappeared. Maybe somewhere inside I was sceptical, just a bit. Not any more...

Then I understood how lucky I was - to have opportunity to learn in such amazing school. To find my Sifu in the same city, and to learn from great Shaolin Grandmaster.

Now i know why one have first to trust to learn, to keep the practice every day without doubts. Just empty the mind and open the heart. The mind is sneaky and needs a proof. I am sure both my Sifu and Sigung (and many other Sipaks and Students of Shaolin Wahnam) can do amazing things. But they never show off. They are humble and kind. This realization was a great lesson for me.

Thank You Sigung, Sifu and all my Sisters and Brothers. Thank You from the bottom of my heart. For kindness, wisdom and patience in teaching that amazing art!

Sigung was kind to share with me wise words:

Congratulations for breaking a brick. It is a remarkable achievement.

As I have sometimes mentioned, bricks in Europe and North America are very hard. Most martial artists, including well-known masters, cannot break them. Breaking a European or an American brick is like breaking two Malaysia nricks, and three China bricks.

But compared to the wonderful; benefits of good health, vitality, longevity and finding every day a joy, breaking a brick is really nothing. You may have noticed that we do not pay much attention to brick-breaking. Many of our senior students and instructors who broke bricks the first time were actually surprised they could do it. They broke bricks without hand conditioning, like hitting a sandbag or a wooden pole, and without special prior training.

How could they have the force to break bricks without special training? They develop internal force from their regular training. Besides enabling them to break bricks, more significantly their internal focce gives the them good health, vitality, longevity, peak performance and spiritual joys.

Right now I already look forward to the Essence of Shaolin course. It will be a very specail course. I also look forward to seeing your videos on our Forum. By the way, it will be inspiring to many students if you also describe your experience of brick-breaking in our Forum.

Best regards,
    Sigung.

With Shaolin Salute
    Karol

Dear Karol,

Congratulations, and thank you for sharing

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Karol Siheng,

Congratulations!

Now you know that if Santaclaus, a burglar, or a chimney sweeper has gotten stuck in a brick chimney, you can save their day!

With sincere respect,
      Olli

Comment

Thank You

I can even try to become a good bricklayer...

Comment

Dear brother, SUPER-fantastic story, and most excellent result!! I thoroughly enjoyed reading your experience and, as always, really admire your attitude, warm-heartedness, and constant growth and example-setting!

I look forward to reading more wonderful developments and to hopefully seeing you again on a future course!!!

From the heart,

Kristian

Comment

Congratulations Karol! Amazing progresss!

Hugs

Comment

Good job, Karol! Keep smashing those doubts

Best wishes,
              Markus Kahila
              Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Never had the opportunity to break a brick

Congratulations Karol! Well done

I have been practicing Tai Chi Chuan for almost three and a half years now. I can feel the Chi flowing more strongly inside my body with time passing. However, I have never had the opportunity to try to break a brick. That would be interesting to see if I am able to do so or not! Where are those bricks to try it out?

Keep practicing and enjoy!

Comment

Dear Karol,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Hope to see you again soon,

Nessa
                  Nessa Kahila
                  Shaolin Nordic Finland
                  Instructor
                  nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment