Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Often Did You Hit Overtraining in Year 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Often Did You Hit Overtraining in Year 2016?

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Let's have a survey to see how well learning a basic skill has been sinking in!

How often did you hit overtraining during this past year, excluding the times it resulted from intensive training with Sigung (or something similarly intensive)? Extended overtraining can be dangerous and even slight one always causes minor discomfort, so it is not recommended in our school. It is one of our basic skills to operate at 30% of our best and attain steady progress, so that our body and mind is able to integrate their continued development in a harmonious pace. Sisook Leo's Over-Training and Over-Cleansing thread is an excellent place for sharing more detailed experiences and finding more information about the skills of regulating practice.

As I'm fairly new to our school and not yet in entirely good health, I've found it challenging to pace myself and avoid overtraining. I found yesterday that my mind and spirit are cleansing too fast thought thankfully not very deeply, so now I have to cut back a bit and letting it settle. I would estimate that I have hit gentle overcleansing about half a dozen times this year, with that figure excluding the occasions I have spend in training with Sigung.

With sincere respect,
    Olli
    Never (0)
    12.50%
    Seldom (1-2)
    18.75%
    Rarely (3-4)
    25.00%
    Sometimes (5-6)
    25.00%
    Often (7-8)
    0.00%
    Regularly (9+)
    18.75%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by understanding; 25 December 2016, 01:29 PM.

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

next time when I will be in overtraining I will try to remember this thread and come back to vote some more times

No, just jokeing.

By the way its a good thread.

With shaolin salute,

Dimitri.
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
    When the student is truly ready, the teacher will disappear.

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Hi Olli,

Interesting question.

I tend to undertrain, so overtraining is usually not an issue for me.

Yours,

Charles
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

For those who have voted more than 1-2 times in a year, you may need to review your training seriously.
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Dear Andrew Sipak,

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          For those who have voted more than 1-2 times in a year, you may need to review your training seriously.
          I concur, and I was surprised to learn that so many had hit overtraining so often. It would be very educational if some people among the least and the most overtraining shared their training routines and some rationalization why they have or have not hit overtraining with it.

With sincere respect,
          Olli

Comment

I felt over-trained after the cosmos palm course for awhile which carried into the four gates course, but I feel fine now.

I train a lot, but at a very low level, focusing mostly on combat skills and applications, so its not usually even an issue.
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

I didn't hit overtraining at all in 2016, because in 2015 I hit energy overload a ton without practicing at all. It was awful. However, I learned in prayer and meditation before my Guan Shi Yin statue that the triple cultivation must be balanced to avoid over-training. If I end up receiving way too much energy, I convert some to Jing through Golden Bridge practice, or to Shen through meditation. I don't know if this will help anyone, but practicing Golden Bridge at a more physical level will reduce the symptoms of energy overload to almost non-existence. My current theory is that over-training symptoms are a result of the energy portion of the self exceeding the ability of the body to safely contain it, or the mind to safely control it.

Comment

Dear Alex Sisook,

Originally posted by Alex McLeod View Post
                I didn't hit overtraining at all in 2016, because in 2015 I hit energy overload a ton without practicing at all. It was awful. However, I learned in prayer and meditation before my Guan Shi Yin statue that the triple cultivation must be balanced to avoid over-training. If I end up receiving way too much energy, I convert some to Jing through Golden Bridge practice, or to Shen through meditation. I don't know if this will help anyone, but practicing Golden Bridge at a more physical level will reduce the symptoms of energy overload to almost non-existence. My current theory is that over-training symptoms are a result of the energy portion of the self exceeding the ability of the body to safely contain it, or the mind to safely control it.
                What you write about is very interesting, yet it seems like a significant departure from the self-regulation methods that Sigung has taught in his classes and detailed in his writings. I am particularly puzzled about what is it like to perform stance training "at a more physical level," which is something that I haven't heard or read anyone do in our school before.

Did you consult Sigung over your overtraining issue and do you know what he thinks of your proposed solution?

With sincere respect,
                Olli
                Last edited by understanding; 29 July 2017, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by understanding View Post
                  What you write about is very interesting, yet it seems like a significant departure from the self-regulation methods that Sigung has taught in his classes and detailed in his writings.
                  I think of it more as a re-adoption one of the traditional methods he has written quite extensively about.

I am particularly puzzled about what is it like to perform stance training "at a more physical level," which is something that I haven't heard or read anyone do in our school before.
                  It's simply regulating the practice down to about 5% or so of my ability, using Sifu's language. Not quite out of the range of qigong, but not much qigong flow generated. I may be an exception, however, because I spend so much time at temples and places with a lot of energy.

Did you consult Sigung over your overtraining issue and do you know what he thinks of your proposed solution?
                  I am afraid not. I tried sending an email to the address on his site, with much more information than I provided here, but I recieved no response. Sifu is busy, and I completely understand, and didn't expect a response. Before last year's St. Pete classes, I hadn't been to any courses with Sifu since 2008, and my main contact at the school seems to have gone crazy and started a cult or something....

Comment

Dear Alex Sisook,

It's simply regulating the practice down to about 5% or so of my ability, using Sifu's language. Not quite out of the range of qigong, but not much qigong flow generated.
                    Thank you for elaborating, I wanted to be sure about what you were referring to. It seems you have done well.

The innate problem with speaking of stance training "at a more physical level" lends easily to the connotation that it should become an endurance practice. Moreso, I must say that I'm quite suspicious about having static and demanding energy exercises turned to minimal energy practices. Performing Kungfu sets and combat applications as vigorous physical activity is the usual recommendation that Sigung has given. I don't remember static stance training ever being mentioned in this context, and I wonder how could stance training really become vigorous physical activity to spend that excess energy. Perhaps I simply lack experience to know better.

However, I must further ask you: how do you know that this practice really helps to convert more energy to jing? Or that deliberate conversion of energy to jing is a way to solve overtraining?

If you are unnecessarily intellectualizating, then you are unnecessarily jeopardizing yourself. Hopefully you understand my concern.

With sincere respect,
                    Olli

Comment

Congratulations. The insights that can come from the Cosmos through our training are invaluable. Treasure such gifts.

Carry on,
                      David
                      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Originally posted by understanding View Post
                        However, I must further ask you: how do you know that this practice really helps to convert more energy to jing? Or that deliberate conversion of energy to jing is a way to solve overtraining?
                        I know because it solved my problem of excess energy flow. My health improved back to its normal excellence immediately.

Comment

Dear Alex,

An interesting and useful point mentioned!
                          I can confirm from my experience: doing more stance training (at a rather physical level) reduces the feeling of being overtrained.
                          Whether it is the conversion from chi to jing or the fact that you work more on the physical level is probably a matter of opinion.
                          However, if someone hits overtraining too often, why not try some stances. Remember to not go to deep into the Chi Kung State of Mind.

Best regards,
                          Anton.
                          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

To explore kriya yoga in a certain depth and intensity, says Sadhguru, the physical body must be stable and one’s emotional identity must expand.

I was reading some of Sadhguru's stuff and came across this article. I think this is very relevant to the issue of overtraining, and is very similar to the conclusions I have come to, but from a traditional yoga perspective. Although, he throws an additional point in the mix with the inclusion of the karmic body.

An interesting, and topical read, if a little light on the details. We really are fortunate Sifu shares so openly compared to other masters.

Comment

Working...
                            X