156.jpg157.jpg158.jpg159.jpg160.jpg

Comment

And the Chi Flow....

161.jpg

Comment

Picture Series

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,
                    Dear Karol,

thanks for posting the pictures of all the patterns. If someone want to know more about a single pattern
                    and its application(s) (and maybe about the historical story behind it) it would be very wise to learn it from a competent master, like Sigung.

But if you are preparing yourself for a course there are some useful tips you should know about patterns and applications in general.

Name of the pattern: The application of the pattern could be already hidden in the name of the pattern. Best example: "Black Tiger Steals Heart"
                    It tells you even where you have to hit the opponement, and how powerful the application should be.

Other techniques like pattern 51 from the picture series, "Sit Alone on Lotus Flower" is a very simple technique which many
                    may not realize how to use it for combat. The same with pattern 57, "Phoenix Flaps Wings" which may end the combat instant
                    if you are skillfully enough.

Multifuncitonal pattern: A single pattern may be a marvelous technique too like i.e. "Swimming Dragon Plays With Water", which we may also find in
                    pattern 75 under the name, "Houdred Steps through Willow". Both techniques may be looking quiete the same, the application may be
                    also the same, but there might be for some reason some difference between the two patterns (even in application).
                    If pattern 75 is working on the same principles like Swimming Dragon, it can be used to counter against all four categories of attack
                    and defense like: striking, kicking, felling techniques and gripping (Chi na). But that is a thing that only a competent master will tell you.

Hidden pattern: A hidden pattern is a pattern which many people may not realize it during a demonstration. It is actually a pattern which is hidden in the set and have it own
                    application. Some Masters may also hide their marvelous patterns during public demonstration as they, just dont practise them or they do them in a way that
                    it won't even look like a pattern (i.e. no picture perfect form). Some hidden patterns where only taught from a master to his succesor. If you want to find
                    some you have to read between the lines, or just look between the patterns. But don't try to be smarter than the master.

If you are not sure about the technique and its application, try it out with your Shaolin Wahnam brothers and sisters or with your invisible opponent.
                    It may help you to realize the application of the pattern. If you still dont have any idea about it, do a combat sequence with your partner or your invisible opponent,
                    then stop at a good moment and try to do the application (or see where it could be fit in the sequence).

Some patterns may be very sophisticated, so if you still can not realize its application yet you dont need to worry about it. If you are invited you will learn it at the course.
                    But anyway you can try them out some time later, maybe then you may realize them.

Why do the Essence of Shaolin Set is a 108 pattern set, but do have more than 108 patterns?
                    Some sources do say that the number 108 is the number of completeness. Even if a set would have more patterns, history stopped counting on 108 for some reasons.

So lets take a example:
                    If a Wing Choon set is a 108 pattern set it would mean that the art is completely. But the set would probably have more than 108 patterns as some Wing Choon sets
                    do have a left mode, and a right mode. Standing in a stance and (mostly goat riding) performing some patterns with the left hand (in the left hand mode), and then repeating the same routine of patterns with the right hand (in the right hand mode), sequence for sequence.
                    Some schools (or the creator of the set/art) would not count the patterns at the right hand mode because they are repeating already, but some other schools may count them.

If a set is having 72 patterns, that could mean that the art is more crystallized or even modifided for some purposes.

I also heard about other stories on that but maybe someone else can continue to tell us something about why 36/72/108 pattern do have such numbers?

I hope I could bring up some information for everyone.

With shaolin salute,
                    Dimitri.
                    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
                    When the student is truly ready, the teacher will disappear.

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Dear Dimitri,

Thank you for sharing this priceless knowledge and all useful tips.

Kind regards
                      Karol

Comment

Dear Family,

Does anyone know the combat application of patterns:

31 Little Child Worships Buddha
                        32 Little Devil Embraces Heaven King?

Comment

A Guessing Game!

Hi Karol,

I've not learned those patterns yet, but I do love guessing games, so I'm going to guess the combat applications, based simply on the names...

Small Child Worships Buddha is an upward strike to a vital point, particular or general...

Little Devil Embraces Heaven King is a swallowing and subduing technique, or, my original guess: an internal force exercise...

I'm probably wrong, entirely, guessing, as I am, but, I like guessing, and I like learning from my mistakes.

Also: Good for you for starting to prepare for the Essence of Shaolin Course...

I look forward to learning with you for this most historical and rare opportunity.

Yours,

Papa Cha
                          Charles David Chalmers
                          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Sipak,

Thank You so much for the answer.

I had kinda similar impressions about:

Little Devil Embraces Heaven King - it looks like there are missing only heavy jars with sand. if the crossing hand move was executed later, not before, it could be a 2 heads crushing technique... But why there is a jump at the beginning, and what is the crossing hands move for?

Actually learning the set is a lot of fun. I started to prepare from the 1 of January. While preparing for the Lohan Kung Fu course we had only 30 days to learn the set. Right now I can play with 1 technique for the whole 3-4 days and still have some time before the course starts. It feels really good - totally no stress, more relaxed and focused. And I have plenty of time to get better on fundamental skills - stances, moving between stances, waist rotation, moving in different directions. When the move is new for me - learning how to flow and consolidate with that move. Every next technique or sequence has something special in it. This year will be totally amazing

Comment

My suggestion

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

As far as I know from my practise I will write down the application I found out and thought it would be the best. But I'm not sure if it is the right application of the pattern.

"Little Boy Worships Buddha"

When an opponent try to fell you with "Fell Tree With Roots" you can do the pattern as a counter for it. Even in history it could be that there was a blade hidden in the sleeves of the warriors, so while perform the pattern it would come out. You could also use this pattern against basic snake attacks or even against a staff, but that applications may not be primarily.

"Devil Embraces Heaven King"

When a "Black Tiger Steals Heart" comes at you (You are at a Bow Arrow Stance), you just jump/move to your right side. Be in a Horse Riding stance at your opponents back. While jumping/moving you just free your hand, and after crossing your hand you grap your opponents hand/arm and push it to the direction of his throat. With the other hand grap his neck. Then do the felling.

But I could also be as the set is itself a secret an application for one of the 72 shaolin arts. The art for it would be called "Ringing Round a Tree". If you grap your opponent with your arms you can then mash him.

That are my ideas.

Any other ideas about it?

With shaolin salute,

Dimitri.
                              When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
                              When the student is truly ready, the teacher will disappear.

-Lao Tzu-

Comment

Originally posted by Karol View Post
                                Little Devil Embraces Heaven King - it looks like there are missing only heavy jars with sand. if the crossing hand move was executed later, not before, it could be a 2 heads crushing technique... But why there is a jump at the beginning, and what is the crossing hands move for?
                                The jump at the beginning could be a manifestation of the kungfu principle, "Chow Ma Woon Pou" or "Move Stance Change Step." If one is being thrown or held with chin-na, one would "Move Stance Change Step" to ellude the danger and have a chance to counter or flee. For reference, you may wish to visit Sifu's homepage. Here are a couple of links that would be useful: Video Clip Series: Sharing the Secret of Move Stance Change Step and Move Stance Change Step - Shaolin Wahnam.

The "crossing hands move" could possibly be a release of a grip, throw, or trapping of both hands. In conjunction with "Move Stance Change Step," one may use this hand movement to escape and counter.

Consider this scenario. Exponent A executes a right "Black Tiger Steals Heart." Exponent B covers and grips the strike arm and applies a right "White Snake Shoots Venom". Exponent A shifts slightly to avoid the strike and lifts his right arm to trap both arms of Exponent B, and may follow up with a strike, kick, throw, or chin-na technique. Could Exponent B use "Little Devil Embraces Heavenly King" to turn the tables around in his favour?

Also there is a possibility this technique could be applied when being thrown or held by two people. For me, the tricky part is applying this technique while the opponents are well covered.

Best wishes in your training,
                                Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X