Sauna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauna

What has kept the health and sanity of the Finnish people throughout centuries? It's not Chi Kung, I can reveal you.

The traditional way of using sauna is to have its stove heated so that the sauna room reaches some 85 degrees Celcius, completely undress, throw some water on hot stones, and sit near the ceiling in the sauna benches and just relax in the warmth and occasional steam. Silence is also an integral part of taking a genuine sauna. Sauna is not meant for gossiping or chatting, although modern people might mistake it for a social event. Traditionally sauna has been distinctly revered for cleansing not just the body but also the spirit. Sweating in hot temperatures is naturally a good way to purify and detoxify the body.

With the experience of our school, it's not difficult to say why the sauna has been accredited as having sanitary utility for the spirit: the foundational skills of relaxation and silence of mind are embedded in the proper sauna etiquette.

The Finnish cultural heritage doesn't know any chi flows as far as I know, but traditionally saunas have been built next to water beds (lakes, sea side), so that enthusiastic bathers might run directly from their sauna to (preferrably) chilly waters, even in the freezing winter conditions. This can also be substituted with rolling in the snow. Heat shocks like that surely get the chi flowing!

It interesting to note that the Finnish word for sauna steam, löyly, originally meant spirit or soul. Finnish language has also some other peculiarities that I would like to share with you some other time.

The following scientifically conducted research might be interest to you: Sauna Use Associated with Reduced Risk of Cardiac, All-Cause Mortality

I'm inviting everyone, both Finns and foreigners alike, to share your experiences with sauna.

With sincere respect,
    Olli

I've had many conversations with Sifu regarding sauna. Here's in a nutshell:

From chi kung perspective, sauna is not good for health. Rapidly increasing or decreasing body temperature overworks the internal organs and is a strain to the entire system. Jumping directly from sauna into icy water - as many Finns like to do - would be even worse.

Should we then stop going to sauna? Of course not. If we enjoy it, why not? With our chi kung, we have many luxuries such as eating chocolate, enjoying wine, smoking cigarettes, and yes, going to sauna, and we'll still be healthy.

Personally, I enjoy chi kung, I enjoy sauna, and will continue both in the future.

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

I enjoy saunas but don't enjoy the cold plunge. I have done it just to prove to myself that I could . Now I tend to focus on the things I enjoy.

With metta,

Barry
      Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
      Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
      Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
      UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
      sigpic

Comment

Mind Training

I like the Sauna, but dont like the cold plunge..........but it is could be seen as a form of mind training. If you liked plunging into cold water after being being really hot. Maybe not always the smartest or most useful

Peace

Mark
        Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Good afternoon!)))
          I as Russian, very much I love a sauna...!!!!! And business not a hot or cold state, and that this increase in borders of perception of the nature! Temperature, not only influences energy, but also health in general! During a sauna, you are on the edena with the thoughts and it is very good! All processes change and in this state it is possible to check the limit! How do you feel in this limit!))) It, as to deserts... if it appear there, then it is necessary to survive and suffer... but it is possible to survive and enjoy))) a sauna an excellent way to it)))!!! Thanks, for an excellent topic of conversation!

Comment

Definitely too hot for me But Finland without sauna ... there would be something missing
            Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
            Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

From the point of view of the Western based medical paradigm both the heat (sauna for instance) and the cold (all season swimming, ice swimming, snow walking) or a combination of it (always ending with cold), are very well scientifically studied and also well known to have positive inpacts on health. Hypocrates mentioned it and it‘s been used for hundrets if not tousands of years. I got to know that kind of therapy as part of my hydrotherapist education. In summary from the physiological point of view it promotes the function of the cardio-vascular system, acts like a drainage for the organs and releases specific poteins and hormons into the body. I have some personal experiences with both the cold (which I personally prefer more) and the Sauna and a combo of it and I feel it great.

The heat and the cold have been used for years also in other cultures as part of meditation and or the cleansing of body snd soul.

Some tibetian monks used to meditate in the cold as part of their final examn sitting in the dry cold (often up to minus 20) drying a wet towel put on their bodies with their inner fire or internal force.

I guess Damo also didn‘t use a heater in the cave for his Zen meditation in cold Winter.

Some Shinto priests would use cold waterfalls to meditate under but also used it as part of cleansing and nourishing their body and spirit.

Orthodox people would bath in ice cold water at Eastern to cleanse.

In Northern located countries like Scandinavia all season and ice swimming and Sauna especially in Finland and a combo of it, has been used for hundrets of years. Most of the time I train outside all around the year. Often I see some mostly eldery people swimming in the cold sea. It gave me a kind of weird feeling training my Golden Bridge well packed in Wintercloths while those people jump into the ice water. :-)

Compared to other people at their age they seem to look not only very much younger than they are but also healthy. If you ask them they‘ll tell you that they become hardly sick and they are free of pain. The for many maybe crazy thing is that they enjoy it and they don‘t percieve the cold as so cold.

Most imprtant as with many things in life is the enjoyment. If you do something which is supposed to be super healthy but you can‘t enjoy it it may limit the benfits. As Chi Kung is meant to enrich our lifes I think Sauna and or cold swimms in addition may contribute being healthy snd happy as long as you really enjoy it.

All the best to everyone,

Roland

"From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
              Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

In Northern located countries like Scandinavia all season and ice swimming and Sauna especially in Finland and a combo of it, has been used for hundrets of years. Most of the time I train outside all around the year. Often I see some mostly eldery people swimming in the cold sea. It gave me a kind of weird feeling training my Golden Bridge well packed in Wintercloths while those people jump into the ice water. :-)
                Yes, many elderly people in Finland enjoy a swim in the sea all year around. I've tried it myself, and I did feel euforic after the swim in icy sea.
                But still I enjoy practicing outside in the winter more, than swimming.

In finnish traditions the sauna has a very important role. In older times it was used for cleansing and well as healing, as a place for giving birth and in spiritual practises.
                Many still consider that the sauna keeps you healthy.

I think anything you enjoy, in moderation, is good for you.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland
                Instructor
                nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Everything well and is useful if not to strain, and to enjoy...

Comment

Working...
                  X