Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Student - Question About Practice

Hello Everyone,

My name is Christian, and I have been practicing Shaolin Cosmos Qigong everyday, 1-2 times per day, for the last 40 days. I came to Shaolin Qigong because this past year was quite difficult. In 2015/2016, I experienced two ear infections, two separate bouts of bronchitis, a bout of pneumonia that landed me in the hospital on Christmas and chronic tinnitus. I also have a 15 year history of panic disorder with agoraphobia, which has severely limited my ability.

The physical issues over the past year forced me to seek help. So, I did an internet search. One link that caught my eye was Kevin Barry's interview in "The Irish Times". Impressed, I bought "Chi Kung for Health and Vitality" and worked very closely with the techniques and skills explained in Wong Kiew Kit's book. After several weeks of regular practice, I had the incredible fortune of meeting Gusty Voshell, a Shaolin Cosmos Qigong teacher and healer. This teaching allowed me to modify my techniques appropriately, and to gain invaluable insights and skills. After this teaching session, I religiously practice Lifting the Sky, Plucking Stars, and Carrying the Moon (10 times each in order with very gentle breathing), and then allow 8 minutes of chi flow (sometimes vigorous with flailing arms!)

Since starting Shaolin Qigong, I have been calmer throughout the day and the chronic neck and shoulder pain that I had on a daily basis for over a year is gone. The tinnitus is also about 30% improved, but I'm unsure if that is due to the qigong or the natural course of the disorder (tinnitus sometimes spontaneously remits, especially during the first year of symptoms). However, there have also been some issues that have come up, one after the other, during my 40 consecutive days of practice: 1) Initial increase in sleep (12 hours per night) that has normalized, 2) painful ear infection which needed antibiotics, 3) an episode of food poisoning, 4) and now, asthma! I do not have a history of asthma, but did develop asthma for a few weeks during the bout of pneumonia I had this winter. It went away, but as soon as the weather got hot and the air quality became poor, the asthma came back - shortness of breath and difficulty taking a full breath. Could this be a result of the chi encountering energetic blockages and manifesting old symptoms? If so, should I modify my practice?

Thank you so much for listening to my introduction, and I appreciate any comments that you may have.

Warmly,

Christian
    Last edited by Charles David; 19 August 2016, 11:43 AM. Reason: At User's Request

Hello Christian,

Have you talked with your Sifu, Gusty, regarding your progress thus far?

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Hi Lee Wei Joo,

Yes, Gusty and I spoke a few weeks after I worked with him in person. The purpose of my post was to elicit comments from the general Wahnam community given the information that I provided.

- Christian

Comment

You are very lucky to have found Sifu Gusty to guide you. He's a great guy and an excellent teacher.

Your results to date are excellent. Unless your Sifu guides you otherwise, I would continue the practice as you have been doing. Surfacing of symptoms such as those you mention is likely a good sign indicating cleansing of old issues. However, the cleansing should not be too fast or powerful as that could become too uncomfortable. If you are concerned, please confer with your Sifu who knows you and your specific situation better than anyone else.

P.S. Welcome to the Shaolin Wahnam family.
        PP.S. As a family member, you should take the time to familiarise yourself with the traditional terms used for family members.
        Sifu Andrew Barnett
        Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
        Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
        Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hello Christian,

I echo Sifu Andrew's comments. Enjoy your practise and you will reap many rewards.

And lest I forget, welcome to the Shaolin Wahnam family and our virtual kwoon!

With Shaolin Salute,
          Lee Wei Joo
          http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Thank you, Sifu Andrew and Sifu Lee Wei Joo, for all of your comments. Yes, Sifu Gusty is a really wonderful teacher. I placed a call to reach out to him for support. Hopefully, these are just cleansing reactions from the consistent qigong practice that will resolve over time. Thanks again.

Best,

Christian

Comment

Christian, you are doing even better than you know...and as you have shown the attributes of a good student in that you practice regularly as you were taught you are having the
              expected results...as you are "in it" now, on our next meeting we will go over some of the etiquette of our tradition so you can use the resources of this board properly and
              to full advantage.
              No worries, thus far we have been focused on your healing and we are aware this is all quite new to you. But I would like to say that as a teacher students like yourself are what
              we are hoping for..it completes a circle in a sense...As i told you recently, very good ,carry on..

Don't worry, don't intellectualize , enjoy your practice.

Sifu Gusty

Comment

I nominate this as the quote of the week: "you are doing even better than you know."

Carry on!

Yrs.

Uncle Charles
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Welcome to our school and the virtual Kwoon Christian!
                  And enjoy your practice and its benefits!

Best regards from Switzerland
                  Andrea
                  Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                  Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Hi Christian,

Welcome from sunny Florida

Those are great results to get so early in your practice. I'm not surprised considering that your teacher is fantastic, the art is fantastic, and you're practicing well. Enjoy the wonderful new world opening up to you. This is just the very beginning!
                    Chris Didyk
                    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Thank you, Sifu Gusty, Charles, Andrea, and Chris, for all of your supportive comments.

I have just passed Day 60 and have not missed a single day of qigong practice. Despite ongoing symptoms, some transient (lasting a day or two) while others being more persistent (asthma), I'm surprisingly calmer than I'd normally feel before starting the qigong practice. As Sifu Gusty mentioned, I am now "in it". What seems to be driving me the most to keep up this daily practice is pure curiosity. Will the transformative aspects of qigong that I read about so often in others become my experience as well? Oh, what will 60 more days bring?

Best,

Christian

Comment

Congrats on your progress and the IMMENSE blessing that is to encounter in this life the force that is Gusty, and, what's more, the extremely profound karma of being his direct student!

From one K/Christian to another, you are in a really good spot and I hope you can realize more and more the amazing and extremely broad and deep rewards that training with Gusty yield! He is quite the powerful, physical, energetic, and spiritual/psychic dynamo, and I am sure you will not only continue to see improvements and new experiences in the next 60 days, but will reap treasures the likes of which you couldn't imagine before as each new practice unfolds and things work themselves out!

Gusty has been a priceless treasure, support, guide, refiner, role model, and generous source of wisdom and experience for me, and that is with only a couple of encounters, but with a very skilled and efficient, smart SMART teacher and just all around cool man!! I can't ever repay the kindness and SIZEABLE time he's taken for that.

I hope this has been of some inspiration and confirmation that you are in MORE than excellent and capable hands, and that you are definitely "in it" and doing GREAT! I hope to one day meet you at a course or somewhere in this wild life. Keep on keepin' on, and stay in the flowwwwww!!!

In good chi wishes,

Kristian

Comment

Hi Kristian,

Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes, Gusty is the real deal, and as you mentioned, is more than a teacher of qigong. He comes from a place that is all too rare nowadays, since he is incredibly generous with his time and truly dedicated to raising the vibration of his students. Although, I doubt if he actually thinks of his work like the way I described, since he is quite humble and unassuming about it all.

If you'd like to send me a private message, I'd like to learn more about your qigong practice. When did you start practicing? Did you encounter "symptoms" as you proceeded? Did you experience healing on physical and emotional levels?

Best,

Christian

Comment

Working...
                          X