Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experienced Explanation.

Good afternoon from Australia.

I'm hoping someone with experience could explain my Qigong session from this morning - if you're able to, I would very much appreciate it!

I began with standing upright, relaxed and then "smiled from the heart". I performed "Lifting The Sky" (in a relaxed manner), making sure to breathe calmly into my belly and out of my mouth in an "ahhh" sound. Any additional thoughts, I allowed to come and go without attaching myself mentally/emotionally to them. I intuitively stopped after a period of time, and then relaxed myself to the best of my ability.

At first I was swaying slightly, then over the course of (what felt like) a couple of minutes, my spine began gently twisting and warping, my arms began raising, and my hips began rotating - I "knew" that I wasn't doing this consciously as I simply don't have the co-ordination to perform the movement that my body was doing. Over the course of a few more minutes I began doing some odd (and embarrassing) movements such as swinging my arms as though I had a lasoo, swinging my hips forward and back, among others.

Then I proceeded to squat down, lay on the floor, and began wriggling in a way that was hitting the front of my hips/legs against the ground - almost like massaging them? Then the odd part, without any conscious effort, I raised myself back onto my feet (in a squat position), then spiraled inside my body causing myself to rise back up to a standing position. At this point, my feet naturally slipped back together with my toes pointing forward. I "felt" as though it was time to relax upright for a moment, and then I had a golden circle in my vision for the next couple of minutes.

I reached a point where I "felt" as though I was finished, and proceeded to rub my hands together, warm my eyes before opening them, and then massaged my face, head, and neck; I then walked up and down the hallway a few times.

I now feel the most calm, yet energetic, I've ever felt. I'm sorry for rambling on, I'm just not sure what to make of this?

Thank-you for reading and for any input you might have. Have a wonderful day!

Regards,
    Eric.
    "A journey enjoyed does not rely on a destination".

Dear Eric,

Congratulations! You followed the instructions and therefore experienced a genuine chi kung session including chi flow, spontaneous movements fueled by the internal energy flow you generated by the exercise.

The results you experienced show that you practiced correctly and effectively.

Carry on and enjoy!

Best wishes,

Leo
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Hello Sifu Leo,

Thank-you, that's excellent then. If I continue, as such, daily (assuming some days are better or worse) what "results" could I expect?

I only ask out of curiosity, not because I want to approach this training with any specific expectations as (from what I've read) that can affect overall progress and enjoyment.

Once again, thank-you for your feedback!

Eric.

Comment

A Sifu

Hey Eric,
        Congratulations on you session. You attained all the right dynamics to have a chi flow. Now I need to gently warn you about something that can screw up this process

That is chasing experiences or "trying" to recreate them

If you have let go in the right balance then your energies/chi own wisdom will know what to do in terms of clearing, nourishing, building you up to evolve a good and useful chi flow.

If you try and chase and recreate it then you are going to get in the way of that process .

Now here come the next important point ?

Do you have access to an instructor/sifu ?

Having a Sifu present in this process will significantly enhance and deepen this experience. They help you develop the skills and wisdom of when to apply the different aspect of Chi Flow. And they help to keep you on track and reflect back to you any wrong tracks you may be heading down.

I know this from hard won experience from many years of practice. Having someone experienced to bounce things off helps you to realise the widsom

Peace

Mark
        Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Hello Sifu Mark.

Thank-you for your kind recommendations. I don't have an instructor yet, and it simply comes down to there being none in my area, and also down to my financial situation. My partner is pregnant with our second child and I am a student, so we are quite scarce with our income - lucky we have very supportive families. I would love to attend an intensive course one day though.

From what I've gathered, by reading the advice of instructors, is to not assume Qigong has no detrimental effects, as it is directly affecting energy and other processes.

At what point does Qigong begin having the potential to be dangerous (and in what way)?

Thank-you for your responses, Sifus.

Eric.

Comment

Well done for your initial results. However, please check the instructions of the exercise in the book. The highlighted part of your description doesn't sound like the instructions you probably read.
            Originally posted by Eric O View Post
            I began with standing upright, relaxed and then "smiled from the heart". I performed "Lifting The Sky" (in a relaxed manner), making sure to breathe calmly into my belly and out of my mouth in an "ahhh" sound. Any additional thoughts, I allowed to come and go without attaching myself mentally/emotionally to them. I intuitively stopped after a period of time, and then relaxed myself to the best of my ability.
            At what point does Qigong begin having the potential to be dangerous (and in what way)?
            In Chi Kung, the higher the level, the higher the level of results but also the higher the level of risk of doing something wrong and higher level of possible negative effects. Sounds scary, doesn't it? The great thing about our system, though, is that there are plenty of safety valves and components built into the practice itself. You needn't bother yourself about what those components or valves are at this time.

It can become dangerous if you start modifying the instructions intentionally. But I'm quite sure you are sensible enough not to modify the instructions on purpose. Just keep on doing what you have been doing after reviewing the instructions and look forward to being turbo-boosted at your first class with a certified instructor or, even better, Sifu Wong himself.
            Sifu Andrew Barnett
            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hi Sifu Andrew,

I saw Grandmaster Wong exhaling with an "ahhh" sound in one of his demonstrations, would you advise me to breathe differently?

Also, where I stated "I intuitively stopped after a period of time" - should I be counting my repetitions specifically?

Thank-you for your response,
              Eric.

Comment

Just follow the instructions in the book. Simple. What you may or may not have perceived from a video should not influence you.

- Does the book instruct to breathe into your belly?
                - Does the book instruct to breathe out with an "ahhhh" sound?
                - Does the book instruct to perform a certain number of repetitions or "stop intuitively"?
                Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Hi Sifu Andrew,

Here is a thread (http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...quot-technique) that will allow you to better understand where my confusion stemmed from.

I mean no disrespect, so I'm sorry if, by asking so many questions, I've given that impression (to anyone) - I just want to make sure that I'm not making any fundamental mistakes.

I was under the impression that breathing was either correct or incorrect, and that counting repetitions might come under "worrying" - I understand now that that is not the case, and will now sincerely follow the three golden rules of practise.

Thank-you for both of your responses, Sifu Andrew and Sifu Leo - and anyone else who may contribute.

Best wishes,
                  Eric.

Comment

No problem, Eric. The "procedure" Sifu Leo referred to was the movement of the head (he answered your question). If an "ahhh" sound ensues automatically when breathing out GENTLY through you mouth, then that's fine. If it doesn't, that's fine too.

It is common for an instructor (including Sifu Wong, of course) to exaggerate certain aspects of an exercise when teaching / demonstrating it. This is then meant for those who were there and not for general instructional purposes.

That should, I hope, make it clearer for you.
                    Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

It does.

Thank-you for your clear responses/instructions!

Eric.

Comment

Working...
                      X