Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Art of Going through Woods

Hey family,

I am fascinated with the idea of training this art since I read Sigung´s book "The Complete Book of Shaolin" for the first time. And now I have the chance to train it in my own garden. I have a big garden at home and with the agreement of my wife I can take some part of it for my training. I can use a rectangle of 6 x 2 or 6 x 3 meters (or more if necessary) to put the poles of the wood. I would appreciate if some of you share with me your experiences training The Art of Going through Woods. I will be also happy if some of you can give me some advices about it. How did you "build" the wood? It is enough to use a space of 6x2 meters? How many poles should I put into the ground so that the training make sense? Should the distance between the poles be always the same or it is better to put the poles "randomly" separated. Any other information/recommendation I should know?

Thank for sharing
    Davy

That is really awesome!

I've not done this with actual wooden poles, but I have trained moving in patterns through the ribbons hanging from a bunch of balloons. It's very challenging and fun.
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
      I have trained moving in patterns through the ribbons hanging from a bunch of balloons. It's very challenging and fun.
      It sounds indeed challenging and fun

Thanks for your answer!

Comment

I initially used floor tiles to practice moving in stances and pattern. Then I trained moving in stances and executing patterns as well as good spacing in an actual forest with different types of pine trees. I even took a picture some time ago, as I thought about writing an article at some point.

In terms of poles, your Sifu, Kai Taisipak can certainly advise you, as he has them installed.

It's great to have a space in your garden. Hoping to get a garden later this year, so I can train outside without always having to walk first .

Best regards

Andrea

Bellow is one of my training spots in the woods nearby
        throughTheWoodsjpg.jpg
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Thank you

Dear Andrea Sikuje,

You are right in saying that I can ask Sifu. Somehow I forgot he has the wooden poles installed in the kwon.

I cannot help but imagine how much fun do you have training in the forest. The picture looks also very cool.
          It would be great to read that article!

The description of your training reminds me of procceding gradually. Thanks!

I also hope you get a beautiful garden this year!

Shaolin Salute

Comment

The Shaolin Poles

I'm following the YouTube channel of Sisook Tim (Sifu Tim Frankflin from UK) since a couple of days and he recently released a video explaining the training on poles. I find it very informative and inspiring. So I want to share it here (I didn't ask him for permission first but I hope it is not a problem).

Enjoy it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE5NQYaBDQY

Greetings

Comment

I recently was perusing my old and battered copy of "The Complete Book of Shaolin". It made me want to try Plum Flower Formation training.

I haven't started yet.

One option is to use masking tape to "draw" some circles in my training room, but I wanted to be sure that wouldn't leave any marks on the floor...

To use actual wooden poles that gradually go higher and higher over time sounds like a lot of work that would require me to replace the poles with taller poles. Also, I guess I'd want this inside, because 7 months out of the year are pretty cold here.

Any ideas how I can make this a little easier on myself? Maybe there is a kind of rubber that I can draw circles with that doesn't actually stick using a sticky substance, but simply sticks on because of the rubber itself?
              "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
              - Sifu

Comment

I found a couple extra of these stones in my garage, that I had bought at Home Depot when we were spiffing up my yard last summer:

Ignore the price. I bought them for about $2.50 or $3 a piece, and they're about 1 ft square.

I will probably go buy a few more and then I can arrange them in my yard to practice footwork on.
                "Take a moment to feel how wonderful it feels just to be alive."
                - Sifu

Comment

Training balance , agility & rootedness ..

..improvised "poles" at Mt Kinabalu Park
                  Attached Files
                  Damian Kissey
                  Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                  www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Hi Alex,

Any ideas how I can make this a little easier on myself?
                    I have no idea how can you make it easier. I would use some scocth tape but that would be a sticky substance.

I bought 5 small garden fence poles last week and put them today in the garden just to see if they work (though my aim was to train first the Art of Going Through Woods). I have to say that they are more than enough to start. With them I can already train the basic stances and have fun for the nexts months. And yes you are right in saying that
                    To use actual wooden poles that gradually go higher and higher over time sounds like a lot of work that would require me to replace the poles with taller poles
                    . But such a work can be also very enjoyable. I did it today while making a barbecue with my wife and some friends. I just put the meet on the grill, smiled from the heart and took the hammer. Here is the result:

^2D8FCE4AE386CA8FEC2BE678C89E0E0093CF6B44E28F5F3069^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the pictures

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
                      ..improvised "poles" at Mt Kinabalu Park

Dear Damian Sisook,

Very lovely pictures with some family members showing great skills. Thanks for sharing.

Greetings

Comment

Working...
                      X