X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question answer 5 - last part

Question 5 - Last part of the answer

<Continued from Part 1>

This principle of being relaxed and free of all thoughts is found not only in all other internal force training methods but in all methods in our school. In chi kung it is called entering into a chi kung state of mind. In Shaolin Kungfu it is called entering Zen. In Taijiquan it is called entering Tao. In fact, we have been so effective in applying this principle that we have become ridiculously effective, and we have to seriously guard again over-training.

Besides this principle of being relaxed and freeing the mind of all thoughts, there are many internal skills that are developed by San Zhan, like being gentle and graceful, having flowing energy, having mental clarity, and being fast and agile.

It is not easy to test them because there is no demarcation line showing where these skills begin and where they end. We cannot, for example, indicate how gentle and graceful a person must be before we say he is gentle and graceful due to practicing San Zhan.

An effective indication, however, comes from direct experience. We can rightly say that after practicing San Zhan for some time, we have become more gentle and graceful, our energy is flowing instead of being stagnate, our mind is clearer, and we are faster and more agile than before.

The benefits in daily life are quite obvious. Other people will find us more pleasant when we are more gentle and graceful. When our energy is flowing instead of stagnant, we have good health, which is obviously more beneficial than being sick. When our mind is clearer, we are more effective in whatever we do and think. When we are faster, we complete our jobs, both intellectual and physical, in a shorter time, resulting in our having more time to do other things. When we are agile, we can perform our tasks with ease and elegance.

This set has remained the same since its creation in the Yuan Dynasty because masters teaching it have found it excellently serves the purposes of for which it was created. It is excellent for developing internal force, and excellent for combat application, if practitioners know how. Changing its patterns or structure would negatively affect its effectiveness in these two pillars of kungfu training.

San Zhan is a wonderful set. But it must be learned from a competent teacher who can, and is willing to, reveal its internal force training and combat application.

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Dear Sitaigung,

thank you very much for answering my question as well as the other questions so thoroughly and profoundly!

I am impressed by your kindness and generosity in sharing your knowledge and skills with us time and again.

We are indeed very blessed!

Thank you very much to my Sifu for teaching me San Zhan and to my Sisookgung Maxime for managing this threat as well!

With kind and happy regards from Germany,
      Steffen
      Our beloved Grandmaster has made it very simple for us:

Don‘t worry,
      don‘t intellectualize,
      just enjoy your practice.

May all beings be released from all suffering!

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Could you compare the Dragon Strength Set and San Zhan with regards to health, internal force and combat efficiency? If a practitioner has little time, and if all things were equal, would a practitioner get more benefit from doing San Zhan completely or from doing a part of the Dragon Strength Set?

Many thanks for your time Sifu!

Dear Brother Maxime, thank you for this thread!

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
        www.shaolinwahnam.nl
        www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Honorable Sigung,

The story of Wuzuquan's origin you wrote is fascinating. Since the days of Bai Yu Feng Shaolin Kungfu has developed and spread around even more effectively, even though its standards have now declined.

Suppose that you became similarly concerned that the original Shaolin Kungfu could lose its flavor in this dispersion. With the styles that have developed ever since (or not involved in the formation of Wuzuquan), how would you synthesize a new integrated style in the spirit of Wuzuquan if you were to use the same criteria as Bai Yu Feng used in justifying the best five five styles available: presence of mind, picture-perfect form, body position, energy cultivation, and agility? Would you think these criteria capture the sufficient features of any excellent Kungfu or would you improve upon them?

With sincere respect,
          Olli

Comment

Question Answer 6

Hearing about Sifu Chee Kim Thoong sounds like something absolutely marvelous from a high budget Kung Fu Film, the following is pulled from the Wikipedia page on him, which I assume is for the most part accurate as there are still many people in authoritative positions to fact check the information:

"After the conflict, Grandmaster Chee Kim Thong deliberately concealed his identity and his martial arts background, instead becoming increasingly known in Malaysia for his work as a very successful healer and bone-setter: bone-setting was one of the medical skills that authentic traditional Chinese martial arts that masters of his generation possessed.

Grandmaster Chee's martial arts prowess was publicly revealed when, whilst working as a bus conductor, he defended the bus driver from a mob of angry villagers wielding parangs (a type of sword)[10] whilst unarmed. His reputation soon spread until Mr Yap Cheng Hai of Singapore (who would become Grandmaster Chee's first disciple) travelled to meet him and implored him to resume his teaching of the martial arts."

My question is in the same trend as my previous line of questioning, what are the specific features & characteristics of Wu Zu Quan in dealing with single unarmed against multiple unarmed & single unarmed against multiple armed? What are the most noticible similarities & contrasts of said tactics & strategies in comparison to Choy Lay Fut, Hoong Ka, or Ba Gua Zhang?

Sonwukong

Answer

Not many people may know that Malaysia, called Malaya at that time, was probably the best place for kungfu masters to settle down in the 20th century. For political and economic reasons many kungfu masters left China for Southeast Asia. Some went as far as Europe, North America and Australia.

From my direct experience, I found that Malaya was the best place for them. The British who ruled Malaya at that time were liberal. Hence, kungfu masters could practice and teach their arts the ways they liked.

All my four sifus, whom I consider the best in the world, were from Malaya. I also studied in an English school, despite my father being a Chinese scholar, so that later I could spread these wonderful arts throughout the world. Coincidences, I believe, didn’t just happen.

I clearly remember that the most memorable phrase when I learned Wuzuquan in Sifu Chee Kim Thong’s house in Dungun, Malaysia through his eldest son, Sifu Chee Boon Leong, was “mg meng yong lak”, which is in Fujian dialect, the most widely spoken dialect by Wuzuquan practitioners, meaning “don’t use strength”. “Don’t use strength{, of course, is the crucial factor in any internal force training.

Although I practiced San Zhan, the fundamental set of Wuzuquan, for two years, and San Zhan was specially meant fo develop internal force, I did not have any internal force. But there was no doubt that my senior classmates had a lot of internal force. I knew from knocking arms with them. My siheng, Sifu Chee Boon Leong, would leisurely place his arm above mine, and I could not move it away.

It was later when I learned from my third sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, the third generation successor from the Shaolin Monastery at Quanzhou, that I developed internal force. Internal force is a special feature or characteristic of Wuzuquan in dealing with single against multiple assailants regardless of whether the opponents were armed or not.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

Question Answer 6 - Last Part of the Answer

(Continue from Part 1)

Another special feature or characteristic is agility, for which the Four-Six Stance used in Wuzuquan is very useful. When I learned San Zhan at Sifu Chee Kim Thong’s house in Dungun, I was unaware of this feature. I did not even know the combat application of the set. I only thought San Zhan was for developing internal force.

Agility is a special feature of Monkey Style, which forms one of the five styles of kungfu that make up Wuzuquan. I later learned that San Zhan was taught at the first level of Wuzuquan. The first level is also the most important level. In later levels, other kungfu sets are taught, and the Monkey Set is one of them

I discovered this feature of agility in dealing with multiple opponents, as well as the versatility of San Zhan combat application, when I prepared to teach a special course of Wuzuquan. It was an eye-opening for me.

Compared to Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu in dealing with multiple opponents, presuming all other things being equal, Wuzuquan is internal and relatively less mobile. A Wuzuquan strike can cause serious damage to opponents. Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu is external, uses much body movement and moves about a lot

Comparatively, Hoong Ka Kungfu uses a greater variety of hand forms, greater body movement, and moves about more frequently .Hoong Ka Kungfu is similar to Choy-Li-Fatt, but the latter is relatively more external.

Amongst Wuzuquan, Choy-Li-Fatt, Hoong Ka and Baguazhang, and of course presuming all other things being equal, I would consider Baguazhang the most effective in dealing with multiple opponents. My ranking, in order of effectiveness, is Baguazhang, Choy-Li-Fatt, Hoong Ka Kungfu and Wuzuquan.

Both Baguazhang and Wuzuquan use internal force and agility, but they are quite different in the different arts. A Baguazhang strike can be very damaging, but if the Baguazhang master does not want to hurt his opponents he may not apply internal force. In Wuzuquan the internal force is innate. A Wuzuquan strike will damage the opponents, irrespective of whether the Wuzuquan master wants it, otherwise his strike may bot be effective.

The focus of Baguazhang agility is in its footwork, whereas that of Wuzuquan is in its body movement. A Baguazhang master can get to the back of opponents easily. A Wuzuquan master uses his stance to counter-strike his opponents. Of course, a Baguazhang master can also use his stance to counter-strike, and a Wuzuquan master moves to the back of opponents, but here we are comparing the relative application of their particular features.

One needs a deep understanding of these various arts in dealing with multiple attack. Not many people have this deep understanding, and less can actually use the ability. Most kungfu practitioners today do not even know the combat application of the kungfu techniques they practice.

Comment

Question Answer 7

Question 7

Could you compare the Dragon Strength Set and San Zhan with regards to health, internal force and combat efficiency? If a practitioner has little time, and if all things were equal, would a practitioner get more benefit from doing San Zhan completely or from doing a part of the Dragon Strength Set?

Sifu Roeland Dijkema, Netherlands

Grandmaster Wong Answer

Both San Zhan and Dragon Strength are wonderful sets – if you know how to use them. Most practitioners do not know how to use them. They just practice their outward forms.

When I learned Dragon Strength from my first sifu, Uncle Righteousness, a great fighter well respected in kungfu circles, I only learned its outward form. When I learned through his eldest son, Sifu Chee Boon Leong, San Zhan from Sifu Chee Kim Thong, the living treasure of the People’s Republic of China, I only learned its outward form.

Of course it was my fault, not my teachers’. They taught me the best they could. It was also the norm, then and also now, to learn the outward form of a kungfu set.

If one learns their outward forms, which most people do, the benefits for health, internal force and combat efficiency are little or none.

For health, the benefit is little. It provides some physical exercise for general well-being for those who are already healthy. If they are sick, practicing physical exercise, irrespective of whether San Zhan or Dragon Strength, cannot overcome their illness. If they are healthy, practicing Dragon Strength, whether the whole set or part of it, provides more benefit than practicing San Zhan.

Practicing their outward form will have no benefits for internal force and combat. As most kungfu practitioners practice only the external forms of San Zhan or Dragon Strength, or any other kungfu set, it is a main reason why very few people have internal force or can use kungfu for combat.

However, if they practice external forms of any kungfu set for a long time, like 20 years, they may haphazardly develop some internal force without their own knowing. If kungfu practitioners are involved in combat, fortunately this seldom happens in our law-abiding societies, they would fight randomly like children or use other martial art techniques they have seen or learnt. If they try to use kungfu techniques, it would be a liability instead of an asset.

However, if practitioners can practice Dragon Strength or San Zhan, or any kungfu set, as they should be practiced as genuine kungfu, the benefits for health, internal force and combat are tremendous. They will also enrich their daily life. In our school, we do this knowingly. In other schools, it is done indirectly.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

Question Answer 7 - Part II

(Continued from Part 1)

Let us now compare the Dragon Strength set with the San Zhan set as genuine kungfu with regards to health, internal force and combat efficiency. Needless to say, the comparison below is my personal view. Other people may have different views.

In term of health Dragon Strength is better. Of course this does not mean that San Zhan does not contribute to health. It does tremendously. But here we are making a comparison. Both Dragon Strength and San Zhan contribute a lot to health, but the contribution of Dragon Strength is relatively more.

The same philosophy applies to internal force and combat efficiency. Both Dragon Strength and San Zhan contribute a lot to practitioners’ internal force and combat efficiency, but one art may contribute relatively more than the other.

If one can generate an energy flow, he can use movements from Dragon Strength or Zan Zhan. If he doesn’t have the skills, and most people don’t, even when they practice “chi kung”, it does not matter whether they use the movement from Dragon Strength or from San Zhan, they will still be unable to generate an energy flow. It is the energy flow that overcomes illness as well as give good health, vitality and longevity.

From the traditional Chinese medical perspective, all illness is due to energy blockage. This fact is strange to many people, especially in the West., just as for those who do not know science, it is strange that all things, ranging from tapoles to mountains, are made of atoms. Energy flow will clear energy blockage, thus overcoming illness, any illness.

As the energy flow removes harmonious, which practicing San Zhan or Dragon Strength will provide, practitioners will be healthy. As the energy flow becomes vigorous, they will have vitality. As the energy supply becomes a lot, ensuring energy flow for a long time, they will have longevity.

Dragon Strength is a much longer set than San Zhan. If all other things were equal, a long set will provide more opportunities for energy flow to happen.

If a person is skillful, he does not need to perform the whole Dragon Strength set. He can perform a part of it to generate an energy flow. Relatively, the movements in Dragon Strength are more conducive than the movements in San Zhan to generate energy flow.

In term of internal force, Dragon Strength is also better. For those who attended the Dragon Strength course in Penang in 2014, they used the techniques of Dragon Strength to develop different types of internal force, like those of Yang Style Taijiquan, Chen Style Taijiquan, Flower Set, Siu Lin Tou, Triple Stretch and Iron Wire.

The internal force in San Zhan is more restricted. For want of a better term, we may call the force derived from practicing San Zhang, Wuzuquan internal force. Because of the way San Zhan is constructed, it is not feasible to generate a variety of internal force as in Dragon Strength. With understanding and skills, a Wuzuquan master may generate internal force similar to that in Flower Set and Siu Lin Tou, but it is not feasible to generate internal force like that in Triple Stretch and Iron Wire.

Not only there is a great variety of internal force in Dragon Strength, it is also relatively easier, for both students and masters, to generate internal force in Dragon Strength than in San Zhan. This is because of the ways the techniques of the two sets are arranged.

Here, we are talking about internal force in general. In other words, it is easier to generate internal force using Dragon Strength than using San Zhan, What about a specific type of internal, namely Wuzuquan internal force? It is naturally easier to generate Wuzuquan internal force using San Zhan than using Dragon Strength, because the patterns in San Zhan are arranged in a particular way to generate Wuzuquan internal force. Nevertheless, a skillful Dragon Strength master can generate internal force similar but not identical to Wuzuquan internal force faster using Dragon Strength than using San Zhan!

(Part 3 follows)

Comment

Question Answer 7 - Final Part

(Continued from Part 2)

In term of combat efficiency, whether Dragon Strength or San Zhan is better, depends much on the level of practitioners. At an early stage, a Dragon Strength practitioner is more combat efficient than a San Zhan practitioner. Indeed, because of their subtlety, many San Zhan practitioners may not know the combat application of the patterns in their set, whereas the combat application in Dragon Strength is more straightforward.

At an advanced level, when a San Zhan practitioner has understood the sophistication of San Zhan, he is more combat efficient than a Dragon Strength practitioner. The sophistication of San Shan is such a high level, that almost any pattern in the set can be applied to counter any attack! This may not be possible in the Dragon Strength set, where certain patterns are used against certain attacks.

However, at the marvelous level, a level very few practitioners can reach, a Dragon Strength master is more combat efficient than a San Zhan master. As soon as an opponent makes a move, or even before an opponent makes a move, he is struck, often without knowing how or where the strike comes from.

Because it is a longer set, there is more variety of attack and defence in Dragon Strength than in San Zhan. Dragon Strength covers all the four modes of attack, whereas San Zhan covers only three. Kicks are not found in San Zhan, but there are counters against opponents’ kicks.

Both sets focus on strikes. At an advanced level, Dragon Strength focuses on dim mark with the dragon fingers, whereas San Zhan focuses on strikes with the palm and the fist. In defence, Dragon Strength minimizes an opponent’s force, whereas San Zhan wards it off.

The answer to the question whether a practitioner, if he is short of time, would get more benefit from practicing the complete set of San Zahn or practicing a part of Dragon Set would depend on the purpose of his practice, and on the part he chooses from Dragon Strength ,even when other things were presumed equal.

If the purpose is to develop Wuzuquan internal force, obviously he will have more benefit practicing San Zhan than practicing a part of Dragon Strength or even the whole of it.

If his purpose is to develop any internal force, he will have more benefit if he practices a part from “ta chong”, i.e. “developing internal force on stance”, at the beginning of the set. If he chooses a part from combat sequences at the end of the set, he will have less benefit.

But adopting a theoretical example, most people will gain more benefit practicing a part of Dragon Strength than practicing the whole of San Zhan. By practicing an earlier part of Dragon Strength, they may develop some internal force, by practicing a later part they may learn some combat application. Most people do not have any benefit in internal force or combat application even when they practice the whole of San Zhan.

Even if they just practice their external forms, i.e. without any benefits of internal force and combat application, practicing a part of Dragon Strength, because there is more variety in the movement, they will get more health benefit than practicing than practicing the whole of San Zhan.

This does not mean that San Zhan is not beneficial. As mentioned earlier, we are here making a comparison. , and therefore speaking relatively.

Even when we consider San Zhan by itself, it is a very useful and beneficial set. It has remained the same set for many centuries and over different continents. But it needs a great teacher to bring out its usefulness and benefits.

<End>

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for your beautiful in-depth answer! I have not had any experience with the Wuzuquan set so far, other than the excellent performance of Anton in China. It looked very flowing and forceful. I did have the incredible privilige of attending the Dragon Strength course and it continuous to amaze me every time I practise it.

Vert best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
                      www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                      www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Question Answer 8 - Part 1

Question 8

The story of Wuzuquan's origin you wrote is fascinating. Since the days of Bai Yu Feng Shaolin Kungfu has developed and spread around even more effectively, even though its standards have now declined.

Suppose that you became similarly concerned that the original Shaolin Kungfu could lose its flavor in this dispersion. With the styles that have developed ever since (or not involved in the formation of Wuzuquan), how would you synthesize a new integrated style in the spirit of Wuzuquan if you were to use the same criteria as Bai Yu Feng used in justifying the best five five styles available: presence of mind, picture-perfect form, body position, energy cultivation, and agility? Would you think these criteria capture the sufficient features of any excellent Kungfu or would you improve upon them?

Grandmaster Wong´s Answer

The various Shaolin styles at the time of Bai Yi Feng were far less than now, but their standard was much higher. The Shaolin styles at that time were from Northern Shaolin. South Shaolin was not known yet. It came after Bai Yi Feng in the subsequent Ming Dynasty, and flowered in the Qing Dynasty.

The various Northern styles were Huaquan (meaning “Beautiful Kungfu”), Chaquan (named after Cha Mi Er or Ismail, a Chinese Muslin), Hoongquan (not to be confused with Hoongquan of Souther Shaolin named after Hoong Hei Koon), Taizuquan (or “First Emperor Kungfu”), White Crane (different from but probably inspired or originated the White Crane of Southern Shaolin), Monkey Style, and Xingyiquan and Eagle Claw Kungfu from Yue Fei.

Wudang Taijiquan, or Wudang Shaolin Kungfu, of Zhang San Feng was already in existence, but was exclusively practiced on the Wudang Mountain. Praying Mantis Kungfu invented by Wang Lang and is very popular today, was unknown.

All kungfu styles from Southern Shaolin were not known yet, and they included Hoong Ka Kungfu, Lau Ka Kuangu, Choy Ka Kungfu, Li Ka Kungfu, Wing Choon Kungfu, Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu, Buddha Style, Fujian White Crane, Southern Praying Mantis, Dragon Style and Tiger Style. Baguazhang, which is normally considered a northern style, was also not known yet.

Despite only about half of the kungfu styles known today, all of which were derived from Shaolin, were available at the time of Bai Yi Feng, he was concerned that the spread of Shaolin Kungfu was so extensive that it might loose its characteristics. Huaquan, for example, was very different from Northen White Crane, and Taizuquan very different from Eagle Claw. And all these styles were different from Lohan Kungfu, commonly called Shaolin Kungfu, practiced at the Shaolin Monastary on Song Mountain.

I was also very concerned, but my concern was not that Shaolin Kungfu would lose its characteristics, but that kungfu as a whole would lose its essence. This concern led to the establishment of Shaolin Wahnam Association, and later to our school, Shaolin Wahnam Institute.

My concern was real. Kungfu practitioners then, and also now except in our school, could not use their kungfu for combat, although kungfu is an art of attack and defence. Kungfu, which is actually a wonderful and very effective martial art, degenerated into “flowery fists and embroidery legs”, suitable only for demonstration. It is even worse now. Kungfu practitioners threw away their kungfu techniques, or throw away gens for stones, bounce about and fight like children, or use kick-boxing or other martial art techniques.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

Dear Sigung,

thank you very much for your wonderful answer!
                          Somehow I did not receive any notifications of your response and only saw it now.
                          Thank you very much

With kind regards,
                          Anton
                          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Part 2 of Question 8 delivers unique insight into Sifu's personal philosophy....
                            <Continued from Part 1>
                            If I had to synthesize a new integrated style like Bai Yi Feng did using five criteria, which are presence of mind, picture-perform form, body position, energy circulation and agility, but not using the styles used by Bai Yi Feng in formulating Wuzuquan, I would pick the following.

For presence of mind I would use Dragon Style, like Dragon Strength Set and Dragon Form Set from our school. These two sets, as well as Dragon Style, were not available at the time of Bai yi Feng.

For picture-perfect form, I would choose Hoong Ka Kungfu, or Southern Shaolin which I learned from Uncle Righteousness. Uncle Righteousness was very particular in picture-perfect form, which is very important in Hoong Ka Kungfu, in fact in all styles of kungfu.

For body-position, I would choose Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu. Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu, the style developed for mass fighting, like the revolutionaries of Dr Sun Yat Sun in fighting the Manchu army, places much important on body-position. Instead of moving away, for example, a Choy-Li-Fatt practitioner would slant his body to avoid an opponent’s attack, and simultaneously counter-strike.

For energy circulation I would choose Yang Style Taijiquan. I would have chosen Dragon Strength, but since Dragon Strength has been chosen for presence of mind, I would choose another favorable style. Energy circulation is very important in Yang Style Taijiquan, without which the art could not be effectively used for health, combat and spiritual cultivation, the three levels of Taijiquan attainment cherished by many Taijiquan masters. Unfortunately, most Yang Style Taijiquan practitioners today, or Taiji dancers, do not know energy circulation.

For agility, I would choose Bagauzhang. Baguazhang is famous for agility. A Baguazhang master can easily get to the back of his opponent. Baguazhang circle walking is also excellent for training movement in mass fighting. Even without moving, by using only its stance a Baguazhang exponent can avoid an opponent’s attack and simultaneously counter-strike.

It is interesting to note that all the five kungfu styles chosen by me for their special characteristics were all developed after Bai Yi Feng. This is inevitable, though it may not be obvious to many people. As kungfu developed, it became better. The exception is now, when kungfu has lost its essence.

It is also worthy of note that Bai Yi Feng did not use these five criteria in his formulation of Wuzuquan. He chose five best styles of all the styles demonstrated at the Shaolin Monastery on Song Mountain, and these five best styles happened to be noted for these five characteristics.

Yes, these five characteristics capture the features of any excellent kungfu. This can be seen in Wuzuquan which has remained to be an outstanding kungfu style since its inception. My sifu, Sifu Chee Kim Thong, an expert in Wuzuquan, was not called a living treasure of the People’s Republic of China for no good reasons. He was a champion in an all styles free sparring kungfu competition in his young days, unarmed and singly successfully defended a bus driver from a mob of angry attackers with weapons, and defeated many other martial art masters.

I would not dare to criticize Bai Yi Feng for his choice of the five best styles with these five characteristics. I would say that his choice and his creation of Wuzuquan were excellent. I could not improve upon them.

But Bai Yi Feng lived in a different era, about 7 centuries before us. The needs at his time were different from ours. The most important consideration for kungfu at his time was combat. Combat is insignificant to us in our law-abiding societies. Our most important consideration is health. We practice kungfu , an art with combat, because it is far better than many other ways in its contribution to our excellent health.

So, if I had to synthesize a kungfu style my criteria would be different. I would choose the following criteria: good health, vitality, longevity, peak performance and spiritual joys. These criteria happen to be the same criteria we cherish in our school. This is no coincidence, because our practice is to attain these wonderful characteristics.

As mentioned earlier, besides combat efficiency, practicing kungfu is excellent for us to attain these wonderful characteristics. For those who find kungfu training too demanding, can practice chi kung, which will also help practitioners to attain these characteristics.

I also realize that different people may be faced with different factors, like different preferences, nature., resources and opportunities, in attaining these wonderful characteristics. For a long time I resisted teaching Taijiquan and taught only Shaolin Kungfu, which was my best, until someone told me that some people might find practicing Taijiquan more favorable in attaining these characteristics. Hence, today in our school we have a great variety of kungfu and chi kung styles. Of course, this great varity also gives us other wonderful benefits.

<End>
                            Sifu Andrew Barnett
                            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Honorable Sigung,

Thank you very much for your outstanding answer! Thank you also for correcting my assumption about the criteria.

Maybe it would be an interesting idea for competition if students were asked to compose and demonstrate their interpretation of what a "modern Kungfu synthesis" would look and act like?

After writing my question I realized that asking a comparison between the Shaolin Five-Animal set, Choy-Li-Fatt, and Wuzuquan would have made another good topic. All these represent different interpretations about combining features of Kungfu, but the aims and the end results are characteristically different.

With sincere gratitude,
                              Olli

Comment

Sifu has sent me an extensive answer to the fabulous question 9. Let's start with part 1.....
                                Question 9

After writing my question I realized that asking a comparison between theShaolin Five-Animal set, Choy-Li-Fatt, and Wuzuquan would have made anothergood topic. All these represent different interpretations about combiningfeatures of Kungfu, but the aims and the end results are characteristicallydifferent.

Olli

Answer

A comparative study of the Five-Animal Set, Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu and Wuzuquanwill be interesting and rewarding. As the Five-Animal Set is a kungfuset, and Choy-Li-Fatt Kungfu and Wuzuquan are kungfu styles with many sets inthe two styles, it may not be a fair comparison. An appropriatecomparison will be to regard the Five-Animal Set as a Hoong Ka style, orto choose a representative set each from Choy-Li-Fatt and Wuzuquan.

The Shaolin five animals, which are Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Leopard and Crane,are found in many Southern Shaolin styles., the most popular of which are HoongKa and Choy-Li-Fatt. As we shall consider Choy-Li-Fatt as astyle by itself, we shall leave the Five-Animal Set in Choy-Li-Fatt andconsider the Five-Animal Set in Hoong Ka Kungfu.

It is worthwhile to note that the Five-Animal Set is not found in every HoongKa school. It is also worthwhile to note that unlike Choy-Li-Fatt whichwas invented by Chan Harng, and Wuzuquan by Bai Yi Feng, Hoong Ka Kungfuwas not invented by anybody. Many Hoong Ka lineages acknowledgeHoong Hei Koon as the First Patriarch, but many famous Koong Ka schools today,like the schools from Wong Fei Hoong and Lam Sai Weng, descended from Luk AhChoy, and not from Hoong Hei Koon

Hoong Hei Koon and Luk Ah Choy were classmates, learning from the VenerableChee Seen, the First Patriarch of Southern Shaolin Kungfu. Hoong Hei Koonand Luk Ah Choy did not invent any new styles of kungfu. They taught thekungfu they had learned from Chee Seen.

For comparison we shall choose the Five-Animal Set of Hoong Ka or SoutherShaolin Kungfu, the Twelve-Fist Set of Choy-Li-Fatt and San Zhan ofWuzuquan. All these three sets are practiced in our school, ShaolinWahnam.

Please note that the Five-Animal Set and the Twelve-Fist Set were myinventions, based on my understanding and performance of kungfu. Theyrepresent the essence of Southern Shaolin and Choy-Li-Att. San Zhan is aclassical set, remained virtually unchanged since Bai Yi Feng inventedWuzuquan. I learned the set from my second sifu, Sifu Chee Kim Thong.

To be comprehensive, it is useful to use the four dimensions of kungfu forcomparison. These four dimensions are philosophy, form, force (or skill)and application.

..... part 2 follows soon..

Sifu Andrew Barnett
                                Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                                Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                                Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Working...
                                X