Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Many Hours of Instruction Have You Received in Shaolin Wahnam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Many Hours of Instruction Have You Received in Shaolin Wahnam?

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity, and for fun, how many hours of instruction have you had in Shaolin Wahnam?

(We will keep your information strictly confidential, and will never sell to third parties )

I ask the question as an adjunct to this thread How Many Years Have You Been in Shaolin Wahnam?
    One to Thirty Hours
    8.33%
    Thirty One to Fifty Hours
    4.17%
    Fifty to One Hundred Hours
    12.50%
    One Hundred to Two Hundred Hours
    16.67%
    Over Two Hundred Hours
    58.33%
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Less than fifty for now, but after the UK Summer Camp I should have well over that.

With sincere respect,
    Olli

Comment

Dear Charles,

Thank you for this thread. Was just wondering a bit about the hours of instruction ‘bands’ in the poll and the determining factors.

The numbers of hours of instruction most likely depend on
      1. how long somebody already trains with our school,
      2. how often somebody can attend courses with Sitaigung (instensive/regional)
      3. how often somebody can attend courses with other teachers in our school
      4. whether he trains in a local school with a local Sifu of our school
      5. How many ‘Styles’ (Kung-Fu/Tai Chi Chuan/Chi Gung) somebody trains with our school

So, I call ‘my Sitaigung’ ‘Sitaigung’, which means that I got a Sifu as well as a Sigung, also.

My Sifu holds weekly classes, when they are around 40 times/weeks a year (52 minus Holiday etc.) times 2h per weekly training makes already 80 hours of Instruction per year. So, practically everybody in our school with a local Sifu that holds weekly classes will make it to the ‘top range of the poll (>200 h) in year 2 or 3 already (for expl. I could go to weekly classes two times a week, making 160h instruction then per year, but it takes me 4-4.5 hours in public transport back-forth each time at the moment, so I just go once per week).

Personally, I also attend Sitaigung’s courses frequently plus take private Lessons with my Sifu (additionally to weekly classes) plus went to weekend-courses held by my Sigung and Sipakgung.

Supposedly the likelihood to attend courses with ‘other teachers’ of our school is higher, when you call them your local ‘Sigung’ or your local ‘Sipakgung’ (or ‘Sifu’).

So, it seems, that the ‘further down the family tree’ somebody is, the higher is the propensity to receive a higher number of instruction-hours in our school per year, simply because he/she is ‘directly related’ to a higher number of instructors and because ‘local Sifu’s’ may hold weekly classes and so a student is in up to 3 modes of receiving instruction ((1) weekly classes, (2) private lessons, (3) courses with Sitaigung, Sigung etc.).

This would also mean, that the ‘top poll mark of >200 hours’ of instruction is relatively ‘low’, because our students in ‘local schools’ get there already in year 2 or 3.

Thank you,
      Best regards,
      Michael

Comment

Dear Charles,

another thought on this is, what do the instruction hours say in a school like this with different teaching methods like 'heart-to-heart-transmission' and 'cost-efficency'?

A course with Sitaigung is an experience that cannot be descriped in training hours at all... :-)

Then the question also is, how many hours of personal practise people train. But then again, in our school with cost-efficiency and given the skills and 'avoiding overtraining' it's again not a numbers game of training hours.

In other schools I went to the 'normal training hours' would be higher as in this school, both for instructions/lessons as for personal practise; but this would be no surprise given we 'apply' cost-efficency and not becoming a slave to our arts.

Thank you very much,
        Best regards,
        Michael

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your input on this. Indeed the instruction in our school is very different from other schools. One could be in the "under thirty hours of instruction" category, and with diligent effort reach a very high level.

Originally posted by MichaelS View Post

Then the question also is, how many hours of personal practise people train.
          Yes, I recall that I posted a poll on this question not so long ago. I was interested to learn that most people practiced fifteen minutes a day (if I remember correctly) again, ridiculously efficient.

Off to Work,
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

I did the calculation last year both for:
            • the hours of instruction with Sigung and Sifu
            • my personal training hours (not counting my teaching hours)

to see how it would match a more conventional education. And I was surprised to see the huge number of hours on both .
            It's actually fun to calculate. And I enjoyed every one of these hours.
            Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
            Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Over 200, and still going.

Best Wishes
              James
              Aaahhhhh!

Comment

I don't know my exact number of hours, but if each intensive kung fu course is roughly 30 hours, I count at least 5 (kung fu intensive, combined intensive, special intensive, wuzuquan, and dragon strength) which puts me at 150, and then between regional courses and chi kung courses (including 5 intensives), and local classes for a period of time, I'm surely over 200 hours. It's definitely interesting to think about. I've only really ever thought in terms of courses, not hours.
                Chris Didyk
                Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Working...
                X