Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning from a Grandmaster vs learning from a book

Dear all,

I am starting this thread to talk about my experiences learning, or rather not learning, Shaolin Wahnam Chi Kung from a book. I made a reference to that in a reply to Jeffrey, here

I mentioned that I made a mistake learning from Sifu's book. This needs a bit of clarification.

I started learning from Sifu's book a few months prior to my first course. I could learn from the book in the sense that I learned the technique of Lifting the Sky correctly. I could not, however, generate an energy flow. The main reason for this, of course, is that I did not have the skill of entering a chi kung state of mind. I did not end up doing it wrong, like Jeffrey, as I did not add anything to the instructions. I just ended up doing a technique.

Maybe I could have generated a bit of energy flow after a year or more if I had not taken any courses with Sifu. But that is a big maybe and I might well have given up long before as nothing much happened.

"There really is no substitute for finding a great Master if you really want to learn the Art." That was my first thought after my first hour at Sifu's course. Comparing the two, learning from a book and learning from a Grandmaster, I can say that what I did before really had as much to do with Chi Kung as playing football. In order to do Chi Kung, you have to generate an energy flow and that I could not do. In that sense I might as well have been playing football.

There was, however, something very good that came of it: the wow-effect. Because I really believed until then that I had been doing Chi Kung. To then experience the true wonders of real Chi Kung, that was simply amazing.

If you have similar experiences, or completely different ones, then I invite you to share them here.

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
    www.shaolinwahnam.nl
    www.shaolinholland.com

Hi Sihing,

Good idea for a thread.

I also learned from one or two of sifu's books before going to the chi kung intensive course in Sabah. Let me take some time to review my recollections and I will reply shortly with my experiences.

Yours,

Charles
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi everyone!

This is an interesting topic for sure. My Sipak Markus kindly pointed out to me the possibility for self-learning in the book The Art of Chi Kung.

I tried the instructions as faithfully as I could and got obvious benefit from my first attempt. However, the following attempts were not as successful, so after few days I gave up and waited for nearly two months until I could begin Chi Kung under the instructions of my Sifu. After participating in her supervised teaching I could reliably get results, so in my experience learning from a qualified instructor is the best method of learning.

I could hardly ever recommend self-learning for anyone who has a substantial internal injury manifesting as chronic pains or difficulty in relaxing. The lack of mental clarity in sick people is also a serious counter-indication, as is the tendency to overestimate one's competence. The latter especially suggests of closed heart and lack of humility, which is a obstacle for healing as detailed in much of Shaolin Wahnam discussion and Sigung's writings.

With sincere respect,
      Olli

Comment

Working...
      X