No announcement yet.

What Are Your Favourite Kungfu Movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Are Your Favourite Kungfu Movies?

Hello Family and Friends,

I'm looking to watch some kungfu movies. What are your favourites, and why?

I remember liking this silly one a lot, because it was funny, even though it got a lot of things wrong about kungfu: Shaolin Soccer

Yours,

Charles
    Attached Files
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Hi Sisook and thank you for opening this wonderful topic!

Unfortunately my exposure to martial arts movies is very limited. Based on my experience I would either nominate Big Trouble in Little China or Mortal Kombat. It's been too long since watcing either to judge which was better. Hence martial arts are serious business.

With sincere respect,
    Olli
    Last edited by understanding; 6 March 2016, 02:15 PM. Reason: wrong movie title

Comment

Hi Charles, hi Olli,

I don't know if you would call them kungfu, but I loved The Big Boss, and Enter The Dragon, with Bruce Lee.

I also loved AWOL, Bloodsport and Kickboxer with Van Damme. Kickboxer I felt was more of a kungfu movie than many actual kungfu movies in some aspects.

For proper kungfu movies, Drunken Master is one of the best I have seen, but I also love Fearless Hyena, and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow with Jackie Chan.

However one thing has eluded me. My favourite ever kungfu movie scene is when Uma Thurman's character meets Pai Mei, played by legendary kungfu actor Gordon Liu, in Quentin Tarantino's "Kill Bill". Now, supposedly Kill Bill was a homage to films and genres beloved by Tarantino - namely Westerns, and Shaw Brothers kungfu movies. Yet I have tried, and never seen any characters or scenes in any Shaw Brothers movies that are anywhere NEAR as good as the Pai Mei scenes in Kill Bill! Can anyone enlighten me?!

Comment

Executioner's from shaolin has Pai Mei

I like the old Jackie Chan ones that Paul said and some Shaw brothers ones (will have to research, watched them all in one go). Prodigal son. shaolin with Andy lau.

Comment

36th Chamber of Shaolin, Challenge of the Masters, Martial Club, Fist of Legend.
          Pavel Macek Sifu

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

sigpic

Comment

Don't have a favorite, but here's a list of not mentioned ones so far:

* Kung Fu Hustle -> a very nice comedy
            * Once upon a time in China
            * Ip Man (the 1st one)
            * House of flying daggers
            * Hero
            * Fearless

Comment

Originally posted by JasD View Post
              Executioner's from shaolin has Pai Mei
              Thanks Jazz, I will try that one.

Comment

Jet Li fan???

Rodrigo, I haven't seen many , truth be told I could count them on one non exploding palm, but are you a Jet Li fan by any chance??? The few I've seen are all Jet Li films, so I can in no way say what's good/not good-but it's Jet Li! I seen him in Kiss of the dragon, and am a fan since. I have seen Heroes, and Kungfu or no Kungfu, it's one of my favourite films as it's just cinematically breath taking.

Originally posted by rodrigo View Post
                Don't have a favorite, but here's a list of not mentioned ones so far:

* Kung Fu Hustle -> a very nice comedy
                * Once upon a time in China
                * Ip Man (the 1st one)
                * House of flying daggers
                * Hero
                * Fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Dalta View Post
                  Rodrigo, I haven't seen many , truth be told I could count them on one non exploding palm, but are you a Jet Li fan by any chance??? The few I've seen are all Jet Li films, so I can in no way say what's good/not good-but it's Jet Li! I seen him in Kiss of the dragon, and am a fan since. I have seen Heroes, and Kungfu or no Kungfu, it's one of my favourite films as it's just cinematically breath taking.
                  Not sure if I'm a fan, but I like many of the Jet Li films, specially the Once upon a time in China series (6 films)

Comment

Dear Siheng,

Thank you for starting this thread.

The movies that I like the most of the top of my head would be Fearless, Drunken Master, Red Cliff,
                    House of Flying Daggers. Forbidden Kingdom is a fun one too.

Shaolin Salute,
                    Brendan

Comment

Film 4 season

Dear Charles David,
                      Recently a tv channel ran a kungfu film season, and one of the films was called King Boxer. I only seen the end of it, but am hopefully going to see all of it when I can. It was an old movie, and I don't know any of the actors in it, but maybe worth a watch?
                      Thanks so much for the thread, it's very interesting, especially for those of us who have little or no kungfu cinematic experiences.
                      Dalta

Comment

My all time favourite: A Touch of Zen

I think it really touches on the essence of Shaolin.

Incidentally was the inspiration behind Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but was done back in 1969. Was one of the first ever kung fu movies with a proper plot.

Rather than writing about it, just watch this clip: https://youtu.be/6-TTb72eUH0

Tied for my first place is 'Ame Agaru' - technically not a kung fu film as its Japanese (a Samurai film), but it is pure Zen. Written by Akiro Kurosawa. if you can get hold of a copy (not easy), it is exquisite. A great clip: https://youtu.be/2jW8t5jZyEk
                        Last edited by foxinsocks74; 9 March 2016, 10:41 PM.

Comment

A discussion in another thread reminded me of a brilliant, quite modern film that I love called "Ghost Dog, Way of the Samurai" with Forest Whitaker. It is specifically relating to modern Samurai, but as others have mentioned some Japanese films, Kurosawa etc I think it is ok.

It is about a modern hitman, who lives by the code of the Samurai, working for a Mafia boss and behaving as his retainer. It touches on Hagakure, and on the concepts of how different people relate back the same story from different perceptions, with different memories. My favourite bits are where he falls out with some powerful mafia associates, and rather than viewing the situation from the modern perspective as most of us would he thinks "Hmm these are some scary people, it might be best to run away... But... What would a Samurai do..."

Comment

Nice thread Sihing!

Of the classic Kung Fu movies I recently watched Return to the 36th Chamber which was quite entertaining. Also Magnificent Butcher and Five Deadly Venom's are two that haven't been mentioned that are worth a watch.
                            Of the modern Kung Fu movies I have seen I very much liked and recommend The Monkey King https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMI3zqIODf8

Comment

Working...
                            X