Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner Kung fu

Hello Shaolin Family,
    if you were thinking of starting kungfu, which style would you recommend?
    With Regards,
    Dalta

Dear Dalta,
    Without a shadow of a doubt: Shaolin Wahnam Kung Fu. For one, it taught me that it is not the style you practise that is important, but the teacher. And there is none better than Sifu.

Before I met Sifu, I would probably have answered Praying Mantis. If I had just searched for a Praying Mantis school, I would have missed the many benefits that Sifu's Shaolin Wahnam school offers. One of the benefits, by the way, was learning other Shaolin styles, such as Praying Mantis. This is possible because our Grandmaster knows and teaches the essence of Shaolin, which is present in all Kung Fu styles.

So I am in an excellent position to talk about it: I learned from Sifu and I learned Praying Mantis, the style I would have wanted to learn when I was young. Having experienced both, I am forever happy and grateful for finding Sifu and not finding just a Praying Mantis school.

Best wishes,
    Roeland
    Last edited by wooden shoes; 3 March 2016, 08:04 PM.
    www.shaolinwahnam.nl
    www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Thanks Wooden Shoes. (I appreciate the reply when this question has probably been asked before-seen this after I'd posted.) I think I'd just appreciated a viewpoint from the shaolin family as I said this is the place to ask and that there was all these different styles/schools that I didn't know about.

Sigung is amazing, so I'm probably best to wait until I can learn from him. He advised me to learn tai chi chuan from my Sifu, so good advice is priceless. And whilst that's on my imminent to do list, other kungfu is on my 'research' list. But like you, I agree-the teacher is foremost, and Shaolin Wahnam family have a most wonderful teacher.
      You've shortened my list. I'll go back to my Sifu when I can and I'll ask her, and see where she suggests too.

Comment

Hi Dalta. For me, it would depend on the objectives of the person seeking the "beginners kungfu" and it would depend on their background.

For example for me, when I first did kungfu, I thought I could already fight to an ok level using boxing, and I was interested in chi, in the health benefits, and on whether kungfu could make me stronger, give me more force. I was still planning to rely on boxing for fighting.

But in this case, I am going to assume that the objective is to be able to fight well, or at least be proficient at self defense, and that the background of the student is that they have done little or no martial arts before.

In which case I would seek a school in which I was convinced, by whatever means, that not only the instructor could really fight, which would prove that the art was combat efficient, but also that at least some of the students could fight too, which would prove the instructor is able to train people. I have seen kungfu schools where the instructor was a good fighter, but none of the students were, and I have seen some where neither the instructor nor the students were good fighters.

Comment

Objectives

Thanks Drunken Boxer, some of the objectives I hadn't really focused on-the instructor is for children.
          Therefore my first objective is that the instructor is a good person, and maybe seeing how they fight is the best way to know that. It's important to me that the instructor has really good sense of ethics before I sign up.
          Secondly is for self defence proficiency.
          And thirdly for health and fitness reasons.
          These may be in the wrong order for some-I know there is 'fighters' who are very proficient in the ring and the objective is to win the 'fight'. However, I want an instructor that I know can
          land a punch, but for the right reasons. I'm not looking for competitive fighting, just self defence however maybe the two are interlinked. I'm not interested in street-fighting, so they will need to sparr somewhere.
          There's a boxing instructor that I met, he used to be a bouncer at the weekend, and it is said (que Irish Misty Music) that only once
          He had to put his hand on a mans shoulder, to ask him to leave the premises. He is a gentleman, but he can fight.

Comment

Working...
          X