Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10 questions on the 72 Shaolin Arts

Kevin_B is offline Sifu Kevin Barry - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    Dear Sigung,

The list of 72 Arts of Shaolin practiced in Shaolin Wahnam (http://shaolin.org/shaolin/72-arts.html) makes for quite extraordinarily reading. Thank you for very much for kindly posting it.

My question relates to one of the arts listed: The Art of Hei Sa (energy spirit):

What is the relationship between the Art of Hei Sa and Shen training?

How has the Art of Hei Sa evolved in the very long history of Shaolin in terms of (a) methods of training the art, and (b) the attainment of, and benefits to, practitioners of the Art?

Thank you Sigung for another fabulous Q& A opportunity.

And thank you to Sisook Markus for facilitating the thread.

All the best,

Kevin
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan and Shaolin Chi Kung classes in Dublin

http://www.taijiquan.ie/

I wrote a lot of questions, I hope Sifu can pick 1 or 2 that he finds interesting and beneficial. Apologies if that was inappropriate.
    ( I know some of the questions are a bit silly and I don't plan on doing them but I think it give some scope)

1.I did some one-off running a while back for about 30 minutes. I did no running for many years before that. I didn't get tired at all, I just ran in a bit of a chi flow without regulating breath. I think I only ran 10-20 steps per breath though(didn't count). Not regulating breath allowed me to release much volume of energy from the mouth. I tried 1 abdominal breath for many steps for a few minutes but it didn't feel as good, i couldnt let go as much, generate as much flow and release as much waste. Why could it have been that abdominal breathing wasn't as effective. How will learning the method properly benefit me?

2. Does art of 1000 steps concern speed of running? How do you increase speed? Usain bolt ran 100 m in 9.5s. You hear of masters doing crazy things, is it possible to run it in 7 or maybe 5 seconds. What training and other factors would be necessary to do that?

3. What about running on water? How can you train art of 1000 steps for that?

4. Given 3 years after course, how would one train goldenbell to withstand punches from a top pro boxer without harm. Is it realistic or even possible.

5. If one trains marvelous fist intensively after the course for 3 years and throws some punches at an opponent from 5 steps away what would happen to the opponent?

6. In the use of Golden bell how much is passive and how much is active(energetically and mentally). For example, in my experience if I get hit and I think/feel before that i'll be unhurt, it doesn't hurt as much. If I think it's going to hurt or am worried then it hurts a lot. This leads me to believe that the active mental part in that moment is important.
    I only have very small sample size and it can be coincidental. What is the reality?

7. How does golden bell compare to other protections like the chikung shield, or just being in a chiflow in terms of strength, ease of use for physical and energetic purposes.

8. Will practicing these cause overtraing or will it be that converting excess internal energy into external skills (using and spreading energy) cause more balance and reduce overtraining or somewhere inbetween depending on how you train them. For example I think if you just do 30 mins golden bridge alone it will likely be overtraining. But then add on 10 mins of marvelous fist and 10 mins of running and you overtrain less even though its double the time. Is this true or false or something else depending on different types of person?

Thank you Sifu, and Markus Siheng,

Looking forward to the course,

Jas
    Last edited by JasD; 18th March 2016 at 11:49 PM.

Markus Kahila is offline Sifu Markus Kahila - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Finland

10 questions completed

And we have our ten! Thanks for the great questions, very much looking forward to the answers!

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Markus Kahila is offline Sifu Markus Kahila - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Finland

Answer 1, part 1

Ok, let's get started! Here's Sifu's first answer on the 72 Shaolin Arts in preparation to the Helsinki courses.

Question 1: (Olli, Finland)

We have a valuable heritage, but it might not always be so easy to see all
    the beautiful utilities in them. Which of the 72 Shaolin Arts would you rate the
    highest in terms of daily application, health, combat application, spiritual
    cultivation, and just plain fun? Are there some arts that carry more benefit than most even realized? For example, the oft spoken and adored Art of Lightness allows the exponent to reach incredible heights by jumping, but shouldn't it also allow the exponent to escape dangerous falls, even dropping off from an airplane, without harm?

What are the hardest Arts to master if the minimum requirements for each
    are satisfied before training? Which Arts have the most demanding
    requirements of them all? How much do you see room for improving our current teaching methodology in Shaolin Wahnam: can we still push the bar higher without overtraining? For example, are there Shaolin Arts that contribute more holistically to learning the remaining Arts, and thus should preferably be learnt first?

Answer 1, part 1

As it is often the case, the answers to your questions depend on many variables, like personal preferences, the skills of the teacher, the developmental stage of the student, needs and aspirations, and availability of resources.

Indeed, we have a valuable heritage, and it is not always possible to see the beautiful utilities of the 72 Shaolin arts, or of the heritage.

Twenty years ago I would rate Golden Bell, One-Finger Shooting Zen and Tiger-Claw as the highest of our Shaolin Wahnam version of the 72 Shaolin Arts. It was because these three arts represented the “ultimates” of kungfu or any martial art, namely an invincibility ability to take attacks, dim mark and chin-na.

However, now faced with the same question, I would rate Smiling from the Heart, Entering Silence, and Chi Flow, because these three arts give happiness spiritual joys, good health, vitality and longevity – qualities any person would like to have in this phenomenal world.

If we wish to break down the benefits into categories instead of referring to the arts as a whole, I would now rate as the best Smiling from the Heart for daily application, Chi Flow for health, One-Finger Shooting Zen for combat application, Entering Silence for spiritual cultivation, and the Monkey Play of the Five-Animal Play for just plain fun.

Yes, there are some arts that carry more benefits than others even when realized. Eagle Claw, for example, is excellent for gripping, but its combat application is mainly a supportive role. In other words, an exponent grips an opponent with Eagle Claw, then delivers the coup de grace on the opponent. On the other hand, Tiger Claw is combat ending. When an exponent applies Tiger Claw on an opponent, the Tiger Claw itself is the coup de grace, there is no need to apply another coup de grace. On health aspects, Point Massage activates energy flow on the face, but Chi flow activates energy flow over the whole body.

(Part 2 follows)
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Emiko H is offline Sifu Emiko Hsuen - Chief Instructor, SHaolin Wahnam Japan
    Dear Markus, dear family and friends,

Thank you for facilitating this fascinating thread.

It is wonderful how the three 'ultimates' of kungfu or any martial art are authentically taught in Shaolin Wahnam:

Twenty years ago I would rate Golden Bell, One-Finger Shooting Zen and Tiger-Claw as the highest of our Shaolin Wahnam version of the 72 Shaolin Arts. It was because these three arts represented the “ultimates” of kungfu or any martial art, namely an invincibility ability to take attacks, dim mark and chin-na.
    ...while the actual spectrum of the Shaolin arts in Shaolin Wahnam goes even farther than the combat of kungfu to:

However, now faced with the same question, I would rate Smiling from the Heart, Entering Silence, and Chi Flow, because these three arts give happiness spiritual joys, good health, vitality and longevity – qualities any person would like to have in this phenomenal world.

If we wish to break down the benefits into categories instead of referring to the arts as a whole, I would now rate as the best Smiling from the Heart for daily application, Chi Flow for health, One-Finger Shooting Zen for combat application, Entering Silence for spiritual cultivation, and the Monkey Play of the Five-Animal Play for just plain fun.
    How endless is the gratitude to Sifu for his living example. Thank you, Sifu! (Thank you, past masters!)

Shaolin salute,

Emiko

It is wonderful how the three 'ultimates' of kungfu or any martial art are authentically taught in Shaolin Wahnam
    ...while the actual spectrum of the Shaolin arts in Shaolin Wahnam goes even farther
    - I wholeheartedly agree, Emiko Sije.

Here's the second part of Sifu's answer:

Answer 1, part 2

The Art of Lightness not only enables an expert to jump high but also enables him to avoid dangerous falls – within reasonable limits. But I don’t think these abilities apply when the heights and falls are extreme, like jumping up to a flyting airplane or falling from one.

It us worthy of note that no matter how hard some people may perceive an art to be realized, if the “three requirements” are present, that art art can be realized. The “three requirements” are the method, the teacher and the student. The method must lead to an accomplishment of the art. The teacher must be competent. The student must be ready and willing to learn.

I am happy to say that all the 72 Shaolin arts listed in our Shaolin Wahnam version can be accomplished. Although personally I am not accomplished in a few of the arts, like I have not tried poking my finger through thick buffalo’s hide in One-Finger Gold, or hurting an opponent 108 steps away in Marvelous Fist, I can teach a willing student to accomplish the task. The question is whether it is worth his time and effort, especially when we have better alternatives.

Hence, for us in Shaolin Wahnam, the question of the “hardest” art in terms of most difficult to accomplish, does not arise as all the arts can be accomplished. But in terms of “hardest” in the sense that it is the most difficult to practice, I would state the Art of Lightness. It is “hardest” because it takes the most time and effort as well as needs to most demanding requirements to be accomplished. It should be noted here that “hardest” is relative. Personally I do not find it “hard” is we have the determination to do it.

At present I do not see any need nor room for improving our current teaching methodology, nor push our bar higher. In fact, now we have to slow down our teaching methodology or lower our bar so as not to over-train.

Yes, being the best arts, Smiling from the Heart, Entering Silence and Chi flow are the arts that contribute more holistically in learning the remaining arts, and should preferably be learnt fisrt. This is exactly what we are doing. These three arts are what we teach all our students when they learn from us in Shaolin Wahnam. This is following the Shaolin tradition as passed down by my sifu, Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, that the best arts are taught first.

At the least, Smiling from the Heart calms students, apart from making them happy. Students who are calm and happy progress better than those who are not. Students who are angry, agitated, nervous and sad may not progress at all.

Entering silence is a basic requirement for practicing any internal art. The highest of the Shaolin arts, are internal. Without Entering Silence, students cannot practice any internal art.

Chi Flow is also another requirement for any internal art, though many masters who have accomplished themselves in internal art may not realize it. How could they accomplish the art if they did not, and still do not, realize that chi flow is a basic requirement? They had chi flow, but they were not consciously aware of their chi flow. Hence, they need much longer time to accomplish the art.

We are elite and practice a priceless art. Although we practice Smiling from the Heart, Entering Silence and Chi Flow right at the very start of our art, the 72 Shaolin Arts course provides invaluable skills and techniques for us to get more rom our practice.
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Thank you Sigung for kindly answering my questions. Again I find in your written response a discernable love of life that can't be put on words. So gentle, so sublime.

Can't wait to learn the Monkey Play!

With sincere gratitude,
    Olli
    On my way to understanding the greatness of gratitude.
    Thank you Sifu, Sigung, and Past Masters!

Answer 2, part 1

Here's Sifu's first answer to Question 2:

Question 2: (Sifu Nessa Kahila, Finland)

Could you please elaborate how participants in the 72 Shaolin Arts course will benefit from practicing these arts in their kungfu practice, as well as in their daily life?

Answer 2, part 1

The three of the 72 Shaolin Arts I shall teach in Helsinki from 3ed to 5th August 2016 are

1. Marvelous Fist
    2. Golden Bell
    3. Art of 1000 Steps

Those who wish to attend these courses should have trained in our school for at lest one year, and be able to “sit” at Golden Bridge for at least 10 minutes.

These three arts are not only advanced, but are seldom taught to students. It is indeed a rare opportunity to have a chance to learn them. (

Please note that all these three arts are considered the “three ultimates” in all kingfu. The three arts considered the “three ultivates” in Shaolin Kungfu are dim mark, chin-na and neigong.

A master with Marvelous Fist can injure an opponent 108 steps away without physical contact! Marvelous Fist is one of the three ultimates in kungfu, the other two being One-Finger Zen and Strike-Across-Space Palm.

It is not an aim of the 72 Shaolin Arts Course to achieve this ability of the Marvelous Fist. But it is an aim of the course to learn the skills and techniques of the Marvelous Fist.

Course participants who have these skills and techniques, even if they may not have Marvelous Fist, will be very powerful with their punches. They may not be able to hurt an opponent 108 steps away, but if they strike an opponent with a punch, even with physical contact, it can cause serious damage. The punch is the most frequently used attack technique in kungfu.

The internal force developed from training the Marvelous Fist can be used not only for any other attac, it can also be used for any defence. Hence, it has tremendous value in kungfu training.

Internal force is not just for combat. It is more important in enriching our daily life, though many kungfu practitioners, including masters, may not realize this important fact.

The three categories of benefits of internal force are to maintain life, to enhance life, and to produce better result no matter what we do. This means that firstly if you have more internal force now than before, you will live life longer. Secondly, your life performance will be better than before. For example, in an epidemic most other people will be sick, but you won’t. It is because of your internal force that overcome possible disease causing agents.

The third category of benefits is fantastic. Just imagine that after learning the skills and techniques of Marvelous Fist, no matter what you do, you will do better! If you read a book, you will understand and enjoy more. If you perform any physical activity, you will have better result in less time. It is all because of your internal force.

(Part 2 follows)
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Nessa is offline Sifu Nessa Kahila - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Finland
    Thank you Sifu, for your illuminating and inspiring answer!

I am really looking forward to part 2.
    And of course the King's Road courses themselves!

Best regards,

Nessa
    Nessa Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Answer 2, part 2

Here's part 2 to the second question, including some wonderful points about the mental and spiritual benefits of the arts Sifu will teach at the 72 Shaolin Arts course!

Answer 2, part 2

With Golden Bell, you can take punches and kicks, and at advanced level, weapon attack without sustaining injury. This will certainly improve your free sparring. You won’t be worried that you will be hit, which is a main reason hampering many kungfu practitioners to perform their best in combat.

This does not mean you will neglect your defence. You still apply your defence techniques accordingly, but in case they fail and you are hit, the attack will not cause you much damage. You can then move in to strike your opponent while he is focusing on attacking you. In fact, in my younger days, I sometimes used this strategy, especially when I knew opponents’ attacks were not damaging.

When you have Golden Bell, you are able to attack without sustaining injury because you are being protected by a layer of flowing energy. Besides protecting you, this flowing energy also increases your internal force and performs other benefits.

The three categories of benefits of internal force are explained above. Golden Bell training adds to the internal force developed at the 72 Shaolin Arts course.

An obvious benefit of Golden Bell in daily life is confidence – not just confidence that you will not be harmed when being hit, but confidence in whatever you do. Confidence is important in leading to success in whatever you do.

With the Art of 1000 Steps, a practitioner can run for a long distance without feeling tired and without panting for breath. Hence, practitioners who are trained in such skills and techniques, have good control of breathing and have good stamina which are useful for any kungfu performance.

Moreover, training the Art of 1000 Steps will improve their agility and flexibility, not just physically but also mentally. Any improvement in agility and flexibility will enhance kungfu performance.

More significantly, improvement in agility and flexibility, as well as improvement in breath control and stamina are not just for kungfu, but for daily life. No matter what we do in our daily life, better agility, flexibility, breath control and stamina will enable us to have better results no matter what we do.

The 72 Shaolin Arts course in Helsinki from 3rd to 5th August 2016 not only enhance our kungfu performance but also our daily life. Not only these arts are advanced, they are also not easily available anywhere else.

-- end of reply --
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com