Theory of Chi as Intravisceral Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory of Chi as Intravisceral Gas

Quoted from Binqi and expelling qi article by Dr. Shen Hongxun.

Different qualities of binqi

Wind-binqi (Feng): The patient experiences wind-binqi as cold, stiffness or pain. During a buqi treatment the practitioner can feel wind-binqi as a cold breeze leaving the affected area of the patient via the skin. The patient can feel that something is moving down the body towards the extremities and leaving the body via the hands and the feet, or directly out of the affected area. A sign that wind-binqi is leaving the body is a change of colour under the skin in those areas: it turns blue. Because wind-binqi leaves the body easily and quickly, the colour of the hands and feet will normalize again when the binqi has left the body.

From these phenomena we conclude that wind-binqi involves different kinds of gases. This gas accumulates and stagnates in and moves to certain areas of the body, which then become rigid, painful or numb. If this process continues over a longer period, it will affect the organs.

Cold-binqi (han): The patient experiences cold-binqi as a cold area in the body. During a buqi treatment the practitioner also feels that this area is cold and can see the colour of the hands of the patient turning blue because cold makes the micro-vessels contract. During the treatment cold noves slowly to the natural exits of the body. In most people the cold will then concentrate in the fingers or toes and the colour of the rest of the hands or the feet will normalize again. The fingers and toes will be colder than before.

What is the nature of this cold-binqi? In the muscles a certain element is present that takes warmth away. I did some chemical research in my laboratory in Xinjiang related to the composition of this element. My research consisted of analysing two samples of blood from the same muscle, one taken before treatment and one after treatment. Seven people took part. I observed a change of volume of ammonium chloride in the blood: before treatment it was higher than normal and after treatment it was back to normal. only this kind of research has not been done with an enough large number of people so there has never been a scientific report of it. Ammonium chloride has a capacity to absorb warmth. A cooling down of a certain area of the body will diminish the blood circulation.

Damp-binqi (shi): The patient experiences damp-binqi as itching and pain. There will be swelling, infections in certain areas of the body and the skin can show different kinds of spots. During a buqi treatment the practitioner senses humidity and itching, and the patient can feel moisture leaving the body. Some patients can have a sticky kind of sweating that is accompanied with by a strong smell.

Damp-binqi can have different causes. In a very humid environment humidity can directly enter the body. External humidity can also be an indirect cause for a humid environment creates a higher pressure on the skin, which the natural elimination via the skin of different kinds of binqi (including damp). In some diseases, e.g. eczema, damp-binqi is a residue of reactions of the immune system.

Fire-binqi (huo): the pathogenic factor fire gives rise to a subjective sensation of heat in the patient as well as a radiating sensation of heat experienced by the practitioner.

During a treatment the patient can feel heat moving down towards the hands and feet and sometimes they can see strong red spots beneath the skin.

Fire-binqi is often linked with infections, both auto infections and exogenous infections.

Emotional binqi: The patient can feel this as fixed or wandering pain in the chest cavity or in other areas of the body. The patient can feel very sad, depressed or angry or may experience other kinds of emotion. During a buqi treatment, the practitioner will experience emotional binqi as a painful, tingling or electric sensation. Under the kin of the patient's hands, white blotches of gas may appear or a grey-blue colour.

Emotional binqi results from different kinds of emotion. To take an example, anger-binqi is a gas that accumulates in the body. It often concentrates in the diaphragm and can be painful, It may affect the organs that surround it such as the stomach, the liver, the gallbladder. It can also move and affect other parts of the body. In the case of anger a gas is produced, but other emotions might be attended with the appearance of other substances that nevertheless may accumulate in the body and cause disease.
    Why should we consider gases as the achetypical substance for chi even if this is a limited interpretation? Gases diffuse easily for all types of activity and allow materialistic probing. My own thoughts on this theory by Dr. Shen is that there probably are several different intravisceral gases which would usually serve some biological function in regular metabolism and vascular circulation, but even minute amounts of out-of-place gases in spaces between bodily tissues could cause inflammatory pains in response.

• Dinitrogen monoxide or the laughing gas has an obvious effect on us, but there is no direct known function for it. On the other hand, nitrogen monoxide has many important biological tasks which overlap in part with the effects of the laughing gas.
    • Dihydrongen sulfide or the rotten eggs gas is well known for its obnoxious smell and toxicity in concentrated quantities. The gas also has a small role in mammalian neuroregulation, so it does have recognized biological function. Is it involved with the sensation of nausea?
    • Ammonia makes an interesting suspect because its formation is an endothermic process, i.e. it absorbs heat, thus it could contribute to the shivering response of fear. Ammonia gas and its ammonium ion have an important role in all animal metabolism.

Did anyone catch the news that last year two independent research teams found lymphatic veins inside mammalian brains, where there was thought to be none? I have noticed that some of the Wahnam Family members have medical professions. So far even with our advanced medical instruments the scientests have not been able to observe these gases in this hypothetic function. Consider it a chance to do something monumental for the Western medicine and earn a guaranteed Nobel Prize for Medicine if you succeed in confirming such a gas mechanism within the body through research.

With sincere respect,
    Olli
    Last edited by understanding; 20 February 2016, 01:21 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

In short, "[we should] consider chi as the archetypical substance of chi, even if this is a limited interpretation".

Do you agree, Wahnam folks, and guests?

Yours,

Charles
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Ultimate and Relative

Hey Folks,
      I will share my thoughts on this. Trying to define the actual chinese term of Chi is really difficult for a few reasons, one being the fluidity and nature of Chinese ( and all the dialects). The nature and structure of the Chinese Language is very different from English or latin based languages.

At this point I would like to point out that I am not an expert in languages and this thought comes from my discussions from people who are far more qualified and expierenced than I also tried learning Canatonese and Mandarin and some of that comes through.

When chinese medicine practitioner reference the term chi will often place it in context such as specific condition. Examples may be " their lung chi is weak", this is placing it in the relative context of patient, condition and practitioner.

If you take this idea and then place it in everyday life, it show's that you cant really define the term Chi as it is part of continium that may include all aspects of the universe. And we tend not to be able to see all that continium in one go.

Ulitmately we can only use very simple models to describe something that becomes incredibly complex as we focus on it and then returns to being simple. So I would suggest that we use principle rather than any fixed models.

Just some thoughts

Peace

Mark
      Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Hi Family!

I think I forgot to include an important caveat in my initial post, so here's that: I take it as granted that canonically chi is energy of somesorts that can take both mundane and supramundane functions. I have serious doubts that chi in this indeterminate capacity can be measured reliably, but I could be wrong on that.

The article made some interesting and promising observations upon which I made a short theory that allows materialistic inspection. The idea is to introduce some functions of the classical chi as outlined in the article in a clearly sensibly manner, which the scientific community could accept and then perhaps even benefit healthcare. Chi is often compared and used in relation to breathing, right? Do you think that is probable that there are gases functioning inside body in intra- or intervisceral spaces? This limited theory of chi is certainly falsiable unlike the supramundane aspects of chi. Now it needs clinical trials to test if it could be correct.

Maybe it would be terribly misleading to call it chi, since even the article proposed new words buqi and binqi for the convenience of avoiding confusion, but honestly, when I posted my initial thoughts I didn't expect that it would make people so hung up on linguistics instead of commenting the theory's validity. Maybe you are more into Humanities than Natural Sciences?

With sincere respect,
        Olli

Comment

Chi as rock, chi as stream, chi as mucous membrane.

Hope that helps.

Cha
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Chi underlies bio-fluid and bio-electromagnetic radiation

...whether interstitial , intraluminal or intracellular .

Excerpted from http://deserthealthnews.com/stories/...ure-meridians/

" The idea that acupuncture channels conduct light has already been substantiated by Russian research published as early as 1991 which found that the light-conducting ability of the human body exists only along the meridians, and can enter and exit only along the acupuncture points. This finding was confirmed in1992 and again in a 2005 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine.

The implications are clear. With these discoveries, and certainly with research yet to come, the physical existence of meridians and acupuncture points becomes more certain and their importance in the functioning of the body better understood. Therefore, the basis of TCM is more amenable to understanding and acceptance by the Western scientific and medical community.

And, it only took science 5,000 years to catch up to what was intuitively discovered and empirically tested long, long ago. "
            Last edited by Damian Kissey; 3 March 2016, 05:02 PM.
            Damian Kissey
            Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
            www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
              And, it only took science 5,000 years to catch up to what was intuitively discovered and empirically tested long, long ago. "
              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
              - ancient wisdom

Comment

What is Chi? & Dragon Strength?

Hello Olli,

today went to the cinema and found this explained, :-) it's also here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

It was the children's afternoon, but got no problemo to get in...

Best regards,

Michael

Comment

Working...
                X