Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Ongoing Journal: the Intersection of Shaolin Arts and Life

Dear Frńńnz Siheng,

I'm glad that you find my writings useful.

~ Mind Matters I ~

It seems a lot has already happened in just few days. I am more perceptive of energy, flowing better, have shed about 80% of the tension around my eyes and face, and since yesterday I realized that my mind has descended from my head down to the level of the physical heart. However, I am still quite tired and not feeling very productive, so the show goes on for the time being.

I am still learning to utilize the mind effectively. Yesterday's Taijiquan lesson was very nice as I felt using much less effort than previously. It still took me a while to realize that I can and should use my mind to direct my footwork if I wanted to get the best out of myself. It's very effective and superbly fun! I wish I could train more, but I am still taking it very easy as in not to intervene with the cleansing process.

Currently I'm just hoping that I could arrive to Guildford fully cleansed and with healed Heart, so that I would be in the best possible position to let Sigung's marvellous teachings soak in.

With sincere respect,
    Olli
    On my way to understanding the greatness of gratitude.
    Thank you Sifu, Sigung, and Past Masters!

~ Heavy Duty Cleansing ~

The past week has been interesting. On wednesday (when I last wrote) evening I experienced some awful sensation during chi flow as if I was stalked by some unseen sentinence. There had been about a dozen experiences like this before throughout my stay with Shaolin Wahnam, but this time it was really strong and would persist even after finishing up with practice. Initially I was concerned and consulted Sigung about the possibility of a spirit encounter, but the more likely answer is cleansing negative energy. I would like to offer my thanks to Sigung for being so kind and helpful once again. My kidneys would then experience some cleansing next morning and feel particularly refreshed, even though they are still sore, so it seems to be connected with some traumatic or fearful kidney energy. On many days I have also had momentary of aural hallucination such as waking up to non-existent bell ringing. Ears are connected to kidneys in Chinese medicine, so no surprise there that something like this would happen.

My hands have been experiencing very intense whirlwind motions during last two weeks. Sometimes my arms just start doing a very fast figure eight or circular pattern and I can feel a huge mass of chi packing into my hands which then feel hot, painful, and heavy. Hopefully my hands and palms will be fully cleansed and open before the Wudang Cotton Palm course! Generally speaking the last two months have brought wonderful lightness and flexibility to my hands, so the trend is promising.

Today I experienced the wildest chi flow I have ever had. WOW! It was like my sense of limited body abruptly vanished and was replaced with pure energy, and all that was left was a raging torrent of whirlwind chi that just tossed the body around. It was very enjoyable and liberating fun while it lasted.

~ Heart Matters I ~

For few days now I have had a growing sensation of having an innocent Heart like a newborn child would. Yesterday I was walking home from our student organized evening training and I heard plenty of bird singing. At that moment I understood that it's not only birdsong, but that the birds really sing from their hearts.

I have been reciting mantras "Guan Shi Yin Pu Sa" and "Namo Amitabha Buddha" every day for at least as long as I have prayed. It's usually maybe a dozen times per day, I guess. I find it very natural to focus on heartfelt dedication and allowing silence to set in afterwards rather than saturating the mind with repeating recitation. However, with the recent innocence of the Heart I have found myself spontaneously recite more of these without conscious initiation, like a child would sing short rhymes or hum. Would it be surprising that Amitabha Buddha's mantra has then grown to evoke hints of powerful energy that seems to resonate in the Heart?

A heartful to be grateful for sure enough!

With sincere gratitude,
    Olli

~ Mind Matters II ~

My progress has been pleasantly steady. The best thing so far is that in Wednesday my mind started to descend further down from the heart level, and I think it found a stable and comfortable home in the dan tian yesterday. My shoulder and overall posture has also improved noticeably. Energetically this descend has correlated with an increased vitality and having the kind of stable and refreshing work drive that I have been waiting for, although the volume could be a bit better. I still have bouts of tiredness, but they seem much easier to deal with.

Since my last post I've had some very wild chi flows. On two occasions the chi flow felt distinctly as if someone had grabbed me and tossed around. It was very powerful and liberating. I've also experienced several glimpses of my physical self subsiding and just feeling myself as unbounded and continuous flow of energy. Good stuff!

With sincere respect,
    Olli