• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel "Charged" all the time?

Spurred on by Andrew Siheng in this thread:

in the following exchange:
    Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
    The only thing to add is that I wonder do others experience similar things or do they experience the intense, charged with force feelings all the time?
    Originally posted by Andrew View Post
    Great topic for a separate thread, Paul
    I am following Siheng's advice and putting the question to the floor. The background is that whilst I always, or almost always, enjoy my practise, and feel benefits, I get periods of one or two days where the practise and the effects go off the charts and I am absolutely charged with energy. There are other days when I thought I was, but compared to these 'ultra-charged' days, the normal charged days don't feel like that anymore!

In this period when I am ultra charged, and also flowing very strongly, I feel wonderful, I feel happy, powerful, relaxed, everything is very much enhanced. It can last for one or two days, but recently sometimes it lasts 3 or 4 days, even a week or more. But it always returns to "normal". And, so far, the normal periods last longer.

And it does not seem to correlate with what I have been training, how much, or how little I have been training.

Sifu has already answered a question I put to him about this, and so I am not worried, even though of course I hope the ultra-charged periods get longer and the "plateaus" get shorter in time.

But I am curious - do others get this? Or do you all feel ultra-charged all the time?

Since 36 people have viewed and declined to answer, I'll just demonstrate how easy it is:

The short answer is, yes and no.

I've gotta run.

Talk soon,

Charles
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Yes and no is the right answer for me too, Charles
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Hi Paul,

I don't think it's possible to feel charged all the time. Eventually, you will get so used to feeling charged that you feel normal again.

Sigung best explains this phenomena below:

You are actually physically stronger than before, but you do not feel it because of the tremendous increase of your internal force which makes your physical strength not significant by comparison.

This apparent feeling of less strong than before is a normal aspect of force development, regardless of whether comparing internal force with physical strength, or comparing either internal force or physical strength by itself now with before.

For example, when a student starts to experience internal force, he feels the force to be significant.. Later even when the increase of force is more, he may not feel it as distinctly..

This is what we call normalization. We have become normal to the increased force that we may not feel anything special about it. This process of normalization applies to other forms of development, like increase in income, health and happiness, and is beneficial to us. When we have attained this stage of normalization, we do not have to practice chi kung to be healthy, strong, relaxed and peaceful; these wonderful benefits which may be special to other people, become normal to us.
        A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

Best wishes,
        Stephen
        Last edited by DarkCosmoz; 30 January 2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the answers, but I think I have found it difficult to get across what I mean in my question this time. I think I was separating this question from the original question I asked Sifu, but now in hindsight I am thinking no separation was necessary. I think "charged", which was answered well by Stephen's quote, is only one aspect of the state I am talking about.

Comment

I was a "viewer" who didn't answer as I was on a mobile and time restricted :-)

I do generally feel energised when I subjectively compare to pre-Shaolin arts, and the perceived level of energy/chargedness varies.

The quote about being normalised is great.

Another aspect to consider is "how reliable are our senses/nervous system?"

I read about early scientific studies of Transcendental Meditation where brain wave patterns were being measured; one student remarked that they really weren't able to meditate at all well during the session. In fact, that student had recorded the deepest levels of meditation the scientists had yet measured. So, our interpretation of our experience clearly is not 100% reliable!
            With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
              I was a "viewer" who didn't answer as I was on a mobile and time restricted :-)

Another aspect to consider is "how reliable are our senses/nervous system?"

Thanks for the feedback, Matt. I've been trying to decipher some patterns of forum usage to improve the experience for everyone, so this info helps.
              Personally I find I will read, take as long as I need to consider, and then answer. I would click a like button, or a "noted" button if there were one.

I like your point, and example, about now always being able to accurately judged our own experiences. Very interesting.

More thought,

Charles
              Charles David Chalmers
              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi Paul Siheng,

Having reread your post. I find that my fluctuations in energy still follow my pre-chi kung days. I often experience lower energy a couple of hours after noon, between around 2pm and 4pm, after which time my energy picks back up, finally going down in the evening. I "allow" myself those lower energy times, without trying to do chi kung to bring up my energy.

I will experience lower energy if I am fighting off a viral, or bacterial, attack. Working in a public school, I get my share of exposure to viruses, especially in an air-conditioned office. I will use my chi kung in those times to help deal with those fights.

Any of those lower energy times are, of course, still see me flowing and energized much more than I would have been before I did chi kung.

That's all for now.

Yrs.

Chas.
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                  I would click a like button, or a "noted" button if there were one.
                  There is a Facebook Like and share button (and other Social Media options) at the top of each page
                  Sifu Andrew Barnett
                  Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                  Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                  Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                    I find that my fluctuations in energy still follow my pre-chi kung days. I often experience lower energy a couple of hours after noon, between around 2pm and 4pm, after which time my energy picks back up, finally going down in the evening. I "allow" myself those lower energy times, without trying to do chi kung to bring up my energy.

I will experience lower energy if I am fighting off a viral, or bacterial, attack. Working in a public school, I get my share of exposure to viruses, especially in an air-conditioned office. I will use my chi kung in those times to help deal with those fights.

Any of those lower energy times are, of course, still see me flowing and energized much more than I would have been before I did chi kung.
                    Thanks Charles, that is both interesting, and helps me to frame what I am asking better too. I understand that your energy can fluctuate during the day, as can mine, but that overall you are more flowing and energised than before you did chi kung - me too.

My energy can fluctuate throughout the day, usually this feels as if it is due to work, either due to sitting a long time, or due to the pressure/stress of certain times at work, if I have to work long hours that day etc. Not that I should complain, it is not like I have a really tough job like a miner, or even some of the jobs I used to have!

I don't have many days when I am just "free" all day as I work at least some of the time pretty much every day, but even when I do, I think my energy would still fluctuate.

However this daily fluctuation is not quite what I am asking about, I mean that I get days, or even weeks, when I am "supercharged" compared to my 'normal' state, and it is not just that I feel more energized and flowing as you put it, though I think that is the driver, I feel powerful and blissful as well, like a whole different state.

Comment

I definitely have more"normal" days than I do "charged" days. But, oh, those charged days! They are quite something.

On my "charged" days, I feel powerful. But it's a different powerful than, say, when I'm practicing force training. There is certainly some sense of internal force, but a very strong sense of creating my own reality and not being affected by the outside world and what others are experiencing. I can see others being frustrated or angry, and I can see/understand the cause, but I feel immune to it, for lack of a better term.

So, for me, there is less energy charge/flow sensations, and more a sense of control (possibly connection to the Tao/source/etc).

-Matt

Comment

Very interesting discussion - thank you for starting it!

It is a subjective assessment - yet I do feel now charged and energized all the time. It's hard to remember how it was before I started with our arts, but I would say before I was at 30% most of the time, sometimes at 50%. I was often sick, suffered from frequent headaches, low blood pressure and all kind of issues. Now I am at 70-80% all the time and feel I have the energy to undertake whatever I want. I haven't been seriously sick for years and interesting enough I found this winter, that I now feel energized, even when my body is fighting of an infection. Of course some things can still be more draining than others at that's the 10% fluctuation.
                        So compared to before I am "supercharged", but as it has become the standard, I consider this now the "normal" level due to "normalization" as Sigung explains. BTW the percentages are of course just a way to illustrate the difference. To make them objective I would have to define what is 100% and this would be difficult as the capacity changes with our training too.

and it is not just that I feel more energized and flowing as you put it, though I think that is the driver, I feel powerful and blissful as well, like a whole different state.
                        I find too that the development is not just "having more energy/feeling more energized" - but with this increase of energy goes a strengthening of the emotional, mental and spiritual. I feel more peaceful, compassionate, happy, empowered, blissful ... On a practical level this is probably also why demanding situations are no longer as draining as before. Another reason might be that with these changes my perception and interpretation of "demanding" situations has actually changed.

There are moments were I feel I go beyond what has become "normal" and I feel "supercharged". And when this happens I enjoy it. I find that training methods do play a role for me and by choosing a certain training method, I can influence it, if I want to. But there are also other aspects such as what goes on in my live in general, the people I am with, even the weather. We are part of a whole and there is a constant interaction, some of it we can influence, some not.

If for you it is not the training method and if you feel you would like to understand better what triggers those moments, it might be interesting to keep a personal journal for some time and see if there are factors you can isolate. I would write down every day things such as: what did you train, whom did you meet, what did you work on or do, what was the weather...

Best regards
                        Andrea
                        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
                          I definitely have more"normal" days than I do "charged" days. But, oh, those charged days! They are quite something.
                          Yes! I can relate to all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
                            If for you it is not the training method and if you feel you would like to understand better what triggers those moments, it might be interesting to keep a personal journal for some time and see if there are factors you can isolate. I would write down every day things such as: what did you train, whom did you meet, what did you work on or do, what was the weather...
                            I did do this for a while Andrea, I kept a file, to see did it happen when I practised more force training, or less force training, or when I tried to focus on relaxed and flowing training, doing some Taijiquan etc, or when I did more hard force training as taught using Sifu's Wing Choon. I checked did it happen when I had trained for long periods that week, or for lesser periods. At various times I convinced myself that focusing on either of those 4 things were what did it, so I tried to do them to engineer the state, but I was not able to control it!

I got my answer from Sifu already though, this thread was started in relation to my discussion with Andrew Siheng about a related question he asked, in a way I felt slightly guilty for starting it as I already had my answer from Sifu. I could spin it that I was most interested in whether others got these experiences, and that is part of it, but I suppose it is also a sort of impatience as I, understandably I think, am still kind of "searching" for this experience/state all the time, or more often. Which I suppose is a bit like having a particular enjoyable experience in chi flow and then "seeking" it when you practise, rather than just letting go and enjoying your practise.

Comment

I would like to share some more experience and put another question forward on this topic.

I have just been on the fantastic Intensive Zen course in Ireland (if it ever comes up, go!)

The day before the course (25th), my energy started surging, maybe because I was so relaxed to be there, to be off work etc, or maybe because I was so near to the presence of Sifu as well as top instructors like Joan Sije, Jean Sije etc, I don't know.

Then this feeling went off the charts on the first day and evening of Zen, and has been with me more or less since. What I mean is I have felt chi surging up and compelling me to do some kungfu moves, like moving in stances, throwing some punches, some snake and leopard strikes etc where I could really really feel the internal force surging from my dan tien to my hands. Much more than usual. This usually happens in the morning and evening. Then I feel relaxed, peaceful and happy the rest of the day. Again, much more than usual.

I have felt it go down a bit today, but that has happened a few times in this period and then it has come back, we will see.

I think the answer is that this doesn't matter too much as long as I don't worry, don't intellectualise and enjoy my practise. Perhaps the next question goes against this a bit but it is a genuine thought so I will ask the forum anyway: This would be ok for normal practise, but when we are trying to spar with other martial artists and so forth, I would really prefer to spar them on a day when my chi is surging and my force feels very powerful, than a day when I feel a bit more empty and flat, so I would like to have this feeling all the time, or be able to switch it on when needed. Perhaps that will come in time!

Speaking of great courses with Sifu in Ireland, I was reading back the thread on Iron Wire a couple of years ago, so sorry I missed that, as it sounds like the answer might be to practise Iron Wire before sparring!

Comment

Working...
                              X