Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying and deepening the fundamental skills of Chi Kung: 10 Qs to the Grandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying and deepening the fundamental skills of Chi Kung: 10 Qs to the Grandmaster

Dear Family and Visitors,

As you know, for the Shaolin Wahnam UK Summer Camp 2016, Sifu has put together an exciting program. The focus is on developing, realizing and applying the fundamental skills of Chi Kung and Kung Fu in all circumstances, whatever the situation, everywhere – something we can all benefit from remembering, regardless of the level we think we are at.

As Barry has said in his Q&A Developing and deepening the fundamental skills of Chi Kung -

Relaxing, smiling, letting go - it is a wonderful time to be able to learn and practise these skills. To see the amazing benefits that come naturally out of this process. This course is an opportunity to have a Grandmaster teach and review the fundamentals (on which these skills depen d) and how they practically apply in every aspect of life - so that the right things happen naturally - physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually.
    We will all have an opportunity to get our questions answered in the areas of developing, realizing, applying (and deviating from) the fundamentals of Chi Kung.

This thread is an opening to ask your questions about Applying and deepening the fundamental skills of Chi Kung – anything that may or may not yet be understood about how to apply and deepen it - with acceptance. So it might be worthwhile considering if your question in Barry's thread is about developing or is it about applying.

Family and visitors are invited to ask questions. These might be about the general topic or specifically about challenges you have faced or are facing.

Unlike in previous Q&A threads we have run, it won't automatically be the first 10 questions that get answered. Mark, Tim and I will consult and choose which ones to put forward to Sifu to answer. Obviously, we won't wait for them all to come in before we make our first choices - so get them in now.

Another classic in the making.

Wishing you the very best,

Tim
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Another great opportunity

It would great if Sifu could discuss the application of "Yu Wei / Wu Wei" in our practice and our daily endeavours.
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

For some reason this excellent opportunity to find out how to apply the fundamentals of the arts you train has failed to move many or most of you to put forward a question. This could mean a few things:
      1. You already know everything there is to know about applying the fundamentals and are doing very well. In which case, excellent, carry on
      2. You don't have any questions to ask or can't think of any. In which case you might like to share how you are applying the fundamentals of these arts for others benefit.
      3. You are not sure what the question means? Which could be possible!

Sooooo, I am just checking with you that this question hasn't confused people. Said another way the question could be - how can I apply the fundamentals of my training and also deepen that experience? What are these fundamentals and how can they help me live a more rewarding life?

So get typing, don't miss this opportunity.

Tim Franklin

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

If no one else wants to take up this great opportunity, I would like to offer a second question regarding the fundamental skill of "letting go". Would Sifu be so kind and explain how this skill can be applied in school, business or even relationships.

Maybe Sifu would also offer his thoughts on if/when letting go is inappropriate in our practice and daily lives.

Finally, how can one learn to let go better in various situations?
        Sifu Andrew Barnett

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)

Comment

Just a thought, Tim, maybe some are unsure of what the fundamental skills of Chi Kung are? Even that might be a question someone would like to ask (i.e. what are the fundamental skills of Chi Kung?)

I have already referred to a couple and here are a few others:
          - Relaxing at various levels
          - Chi Kung State of Mind
          - Smiling from the Heart
          - Chi Flow
          - Wuji
          - Standing Meditation
          - Gratitude
          - Forgiveness
          etc.......
          Sifu Andrew Barnett

Comment

Leave Later, Arrive First

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            For some reason this excellent opportunity to find out how to apply the fundamentals of the arts you train has failed to move many or most of you to put forward a question. This could mean a few things:
            Dear Tim Siheng,

I'm not sure about others, but I was just taking the new opportunity to "leave later, arrive first." No matter; I was ready in advance: the day before your original post, I was thinking to myself: "Sifu often offers courses in which we learn new sets, or new material; I wonder if there will be a course in which we exclusively work on improving what we already know?" And lo!

So my question for sifu is: In the same way that there are kung fu patterns that can be utilized to counter many attacks, Is there a single chi kung skill that we can develop that will be able to "counter" any situation that we encounter? In the absence of, or in addition to, such a singular skill, what other skill or skills would represent "all we ever need"?

Thank you sihengs and thank you sifu!

Yours,

Charles
            Charles David Chalmers
            Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi Charles,

What a fantastic question.

With metta,

Barry
              Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
              Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
              Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
              UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
              sigpic

Comment

Excellent question indeed Charles.

Thank you Andrew for highlighting the points. I was also wondering if students know what the fundamentals are and how they can be applied. Also thank you for your excellent questions.

Kind wishes
                Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

And of course if anyone is unsure about all of the fundamental skills of Chi Kung, which would be a reasonable thing - we are all learning, then an excellent place to ask about it would be here Developing and Deepening the Funadamental skills of Chi Kung

With metta,

Barry
                  sigpic

Comment

Thank you Fully Alive Team for starting this interesting Q&A opportunity!

Dear Sifu,

There is no denying the strong effect of Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung. After each practice session, I feel happiness for no reason other than because it feels good. I feel very flowing, as though there were no struggles in my life. My mind is relaxed and calm, yet gently focused. Life is a joy!

But as time passes, that state fades away and I'm left feeling more "normal" - sometimes happy, sometimes not; less flowing and more apt to get hung up with struggles; sometimes relaxed, but other times I can feel the tension building.

My question is - What is the best way to extend the post-practice state, so that my life is a continuous flow of happiness, calm focus, and void of struggle?

Also, somewhat related to this, is a second question - is there a way to temper some of the outward expressions of the post-practice state? For example, when I'm in the wonderful post-practice state, I notice that I often act a bit "off" in the eyes of others - usually seeming somewhat high on drugs, slow, or otherwise affected. My fiancé has started to expect, as she says, for me to "chi stoned" after practice.

What is the best way to maintain the post-practice state, while simultaneously seeming lively and alert to others?

-Matt

Comment

Many thanks to The Fully Alive Team and our Sifu/Sigung

Some of the fundamental chi kung skills are : Relaxing , One-pointed mind , No-mind , Smile from the Heart , Generating energy flow , Self manifested chi flow , Massaging internal organs , Sending chi to body parts , Cosmic shower , Building pearl of energy at dantian , Developing mental clarity and internal force , Pulsating with cosmos , Merging with cosmos .

Some of the applications ( or benefits ) of abovementioned skills are : maintaining good health , curing illness , stress management , peak performance in work and play , combat application , mind expansion and spiritual awakening.

All genuine high level chi kung practitioners will predictably develop all the general common skills as abovementioned ( albeit in varying skill degrees ).

Some practitioners develop some special uncommon skills ( eg able to see human chi , telekinesis , telepathy , clairvoyance , walking through walls , materialization of objects , astral travelling etc ), either acquired after initiation into chi kung art or pre-existant but enhanced by chi kung practice : these uncommon skills may bring benefits to self and others when applied in the context of diagnosis , healing , leadership , combat or mind expansion .

Question : Is/Are there any fundamental chi kung skills ( as listed above ) that when further developed or deepened , will increase the probability of developing the uncommon skills as abovementioned for beneficial application ? Or is special training of students with peculiar aptitude required ?
                      Last edited by Damian Kissey; 30 January 2016, 06:18 PM.
                      Damian Kissey
                      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

To be honest, while I've both tried to think of a question and just let a question arise, I still have nothing really to bring to the table. Honestly, when I think about deepening my practice my gut reaction is, "Deeper? I can barely keep up with everything I've already learned!" At this point in the progression of Shaolin Wahnam many of us have attended a wide range of (Chi Kung) courses, such as Generating Energy Flow, 18 Lohan Arts, the Intensive Chi Kung Course, Small Universe, Sinew Metamorphosis, Dan Tian Breathing, etc. We've already been transmitted such a vast ocean of profound skills, skills that most people take lifetimes to develop, so at least for me I'm very much still "figuring it all out."

Now that I've written this out, perhaps a good question to ask would be:

"Dear Sigung, after learning so many advanced arts, how can we stay rooted in the fundamentals of our practice? What is the best way to progress safely through developing such advanced arts while keeping our fundamental skills clear?"

With Gratitude,
                        Andrew R
                        Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Thank you very much to the Fully Alive Team for starting these fantastic threads and thank you Sifu for always being so generous with all of us. :-)

I found that one of the most challenging things in my daily life would be dealing with people. I must be honest, I have naturally improved a lot on that since I became Sifu's student.

Dear Sifu,

I have always been amazed by your capacity of always making the best of every situation. At the courses, I saw how some people were rude to you but somehow you where able to turn the situation around and make a win - win situation. In fact, in all my years in Shaolin Wahnam I have always witness in you a very inspiring way of dealing with people of all cultures, races and religions. And to be honest, I have not met until date anyone with better skills than you in matter of dealing with people.

What is the secret of your success when dealing with people? Is this success caused by your Chi Kung practice? if so, could you share with us which skills have you found more useful for this purpose and why?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi
                          Last edited by sancrica; 31 January 2016, 09:25 AM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Some really wonderful questions. Thanks for taking the time to ask them. In a few of the traditions I have trained in I was told, and had some useful experience, that learning to hone and ask good questions was an useful skill in itself.

With metta,

Barry
                            sigpic

Comment

Luck

Dear Sifu,

Many thanks for this wonderful opportunity! I have some questions regarding luck, which I hope you will advise on.

If we practise the Shaolin Arts, we will get luckier as a result of good chi circulation. If all things were equal, would a person practising exercies which focus on developing flowing energy be luckier than a person who practises exercises that develop consolidated energy? How can we know that sometimes we are lucky even though we may not feel like being lucky about something? (For instance, an event which seemingly causes bad luck, turns out much later to actually be a blessing in disguise). Is it a fair assumption that you still need to work very hard in order to achieve things and that luck is something you should not rely on?

Thanks to Mark Sihing, Tim Sihing and Brother Barry!

Best wishes,

Roeland
                              www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                              www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Working...
                              X