Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applying and deepening the fundamental skills of Chi Kung: 10 Qs to the Grandmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you :-)

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to thank Sifu for another beautiful and inspiring answer. Thank you Sifu for taking the time to answer this question of mine.

Since the Intensive Zen Course I have doing my best in order to implement the teaching of using every problem as an opportunity for improvement. I must say that, sometimes, it has been very challenging. This experience made me understand why always using every opportunity for improvement will lead me to a wholesome life.

It has been challenging because it is only now that I realize that, instead of helping myself to succeed, I was many times doing the opposite. Now that I am aware of it, I can change it.

Thank you Sifu for always being my lighthouse. Specially when I have been in the middle of a storm. It is your light that guides me towards safe land.

Thank you to the Fully Alive Team for starting another fantastic Question & Answer Thread and thank you to every one who has formulated questions.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

The Ultimate Skill: Letting Go

Thank you, Sifu, for the marvellous answers, and thank you, Sihengs, for this opportunity.

Yours,

Charles
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Good Luck or Good Chi...

Is it just luck or good Chi?

Question 6

If we practice the Shaolin Arts, we will get luckier as a result of good chi circulation. If all things were equal, would a person practicing exercise which focus on developing flowing energy be luckier than a person who practices exercises that develop consolidated energy?

How can we know that sometimes we are lucky even though we may not feel like being lucky about something, for instance, an event which seemingly causes bad luck, turns out much later to actually be a blessing in disguise?

Is it a fair assumption that you still need to work very hard in order to achieve things and that luck is something you should not rely on?

Answer

Yes, if we practice the Shaolin arts, or any art that deals with energy flow, we will become lucky as a result of good chi circulation.

Masters in the past discovered this fact long ago, and they used the term “hao yun qi” which meant being lucky. Literally, word for word, “hou yun qi” means “good-circulation-energy”.

The term “hou yun qi” has been in popular use for so long that most people, including most Chinese, have forgotten its original meaning. When you ask a Chinese who speaks Chinese – there may be many Chinese people in the West who don’t speak the Chinese language – what “hou yun qi” means, they will tell you that it means “good luck”.

Indeed, I was unaware of the morphological meaning of “hou yun qi” until some years ago a reader asked me whether practicing chi kung would increase a person’s luck. My natural response was “yes”, because it is well known amongst the Chinese that if a person’s energy is circulating well, which is a major aim of chi kung practice, he will be lucky, and no lesser spirits will dare to come near him. It suddenly dawned on me at that time that when energy is circulating well is “hou yun qi” in Chinese.

If all other things were equal, a person practicing exercises that develop flowing energy will be luckier than another person practicing exercises that develop consolidated energy, who in turn will be luckier that a person whose energy is not flowing.

It is worthy to note that the energy of a person practicing consolidated energy is also flowing, but not as much as the one who practices flowing energy. Similarly, when we accumulate energy at our dan tian, the energy at our dan tian is also flowing, just as when you save money in a bank, the money you save is flowing as the bank uses this money.

We know we are lucky although at the time we might not realize it, from direct experience. Indeed, I have always been lucky, though at the time I might not realize it, as you can read from my autobiography, “The Way of the Master”. This must be so because I have good circulation of energy everyday, or “hou yun qi” everyday, as I practice chi kung everyday to ensure my energy always flowing harmoniously.

This, indeed, is an invaluable piece of advice. Even if we leave aside other wonderful benefits of chi kung that we can enjoy everyday, like good health, vitality, longevity, mental clarity and spiritual joys, if we want to be lucky, we practice chi kung everyday.

Your assumption that one has to work very hard in order to achieve things is fair to most people. It reminds me that luck is when opportunity meets preparation. One has to work very hard for this preparation.

This principle applies to those who do not practice chi kung. If you practice chi kung, you generate good circulation of energy. Good luck will come to you, irrespective of whether you have made preparation.

But it is not a fair assumption to me, and also to many people in our school. I shall leave the other people in our school to speak for themselves, but for me I consider my work as my play. I also don’t work very hard for my play. To be an example of what I teach, just as when I practice chi kung, I don’t worry, I don’t intellectualize, and I enjoy my play.

Sometimes I have to prepare much for some courses, but I enjoy the preparation. I don’t call the preparation “work”, which implies labour, something you would like to do away if you can; but I call it “play”, which implies pleasures, something we would like to have.

The UK Summer Camp courses will provide opportunities for such play, and for good circulation of energy which means being lucky.
        Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
        A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for his marvellous answer! It is very inspirational, especially reading about how you regard work as play. It is something to strive for for me to obtain this perspective at all times.

Dear Fully Alive Brothers,
          Thank you for this opportunity!

Best wishes
          Roeland Dijkema
          Last edited by wooden shoes; 11 May 2016, 08:41 PM.
          www.shaolinwahnam.nl
          www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Ultimate Chi Kung Skill Video

I just found this marvellous video on my FB newsfeed, narrating and illustrating Sifu's answer to my question! The Ultimate Chi Kung Skill Video

Thanks again for your excellent hard work, Sifu and Sihengs!

Yours,

Charles
            Charles David Chalmers
            Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Living a righteous life

Here’s question 7 folks. The comment towards the end of this highlighted in italics led to a further bonus question. I’ll post it after you have had an opportunity to digest this one. Let me know what it brings up or wakes up in you.

Question 7

How can we best apply the fundamental skills of Qi Gong towards living a righteous life?

Answer

There are only two fundamental skills in chi kung, which are to be relaxed and to be free from irrelevant thoughts. Anyone who accomplishes these two fundamental skills will be able to perform chi kung, which is energy exercise.

The essence of chi kung is energy flow. Energy flow is natural. But energy will not flow if a person is not relaxed, or if he is troubled by irrelevant thoughts. If he is relaxed and free from irrelevant thoughts, energy will flow naturally.

There may be techniques to make the energy flow more vigorously, and to increase the amount of energy. These techniques are post-basic. But basically, if a person is relaxed and free from irrelevant thoughts, energy will naturally flow, which means he is performing chi kung, regardless of whether he realizes it.

Now, how can we best apply these two fundamental skills of chi kung towards living a righteous life, i.e. a life that is morally right and good?

Firstly, we have to decide what makes life morally right and good. Obviously different people have different opinions. Hence, what constitutes a righteous life varies according to different people. But we can reasonably say that a righteous life should bring benefit -- to oneself or others, and preferably to both.

If a person hurts himself so that others benefit, is this righteous? It is a matter of opinion, but it is certainly not good, and in my opinion it is also not right. The debate becomes more heated if we insist that the issue is not whether it is right and good, but whether it is morally right and good. Nevertheless, one can logically argue that if an action is already not right and not good, irrespective of what qualifiers we add to the action, like morally or immorally, fairly or unfairly, the result is still not right and not good.

Let us leave logic and splitting hairs aside, and agree that a win-win situation is righteous, which is in fact what our school advocates. Hence we should apply our condition of being relaxed, and our condition of being free from irrelevant thoughts to think of attaining a win-win situation.

Someone may ask, “Is thinking of a win-win situation opposed to being free from irrelevant thoughts?” No, it is not. Thinking of a win-win situation is not an irrelevant thought. It is the main thought in question. Indeed, when we are free from irrelevant thoughts, we can think of the main thought more efficiently.

We may conclude that all the skills of chi kung, including the fundamentals, lead to a righteous life. If any skill does not lead to a righteous life, it will not contribute to practicing chi kung. It will block energy flow.

For example, if one tenses his muscles, will it fail to lead to a righteous life? Yes, it will fail. Tensing muscles causes energy blockage which leads to illness. Being ill is morally wrong and morally bad.

Let us now take a post-basic skill as an example. If someone builds too much energy that his body can take, i.e. he over-trains, will it fail to lead to a righteous life. Yes, it will fail. Too much energy can make him sick. Being sick is morally wrong and morally bad.

To sum it all, if you want to lead a righteous life, practice chi kung every day. Indeed, being righteous is an intrinsic benefit of practicing genuine chi kung.

<End>
              Tim Franklin

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Too Much...

This is interesting, and also helps to explain why some people could deviate.

Question 8

I have heard the Chinese saying, "Too much joy hurts the heart." Does this saying apply to our Smiling from the Heart? Can Sifu explain, if, how, and why smiling from the heart may need to be moderated?

Answer

Anything excessive, including good things like kindness, energy flow and cash flow, are harmful. While smiling from the heart is excellent, excessively smiling from the heart brings harm. The person may become delirious with joy. He may go mad.

If, how and why smiling from the heart may need to be moderated can be explained using the concept of yin-yang. Yin-yang harmony brings health, yin-yang disharmony brings illness. At any one time, yin or yang may be more than the other, but on a whole they should be equal or harmonious.

In the case of smiling from the heart, yin represents the body, and yang represents joy. If there is too much joy, yin and yang are not in harmony. There is too much yang, resulting in disharmony.

Both yin and yang were low when a person fstarted chi kung. As he learned to smile from the heart, yang increased. Yin followed, which meant the body also learned to adapt itself to more joy.

Over time both yin and yang increased together remarkably. As long as yang did not increase too much at one time, the body represented by yin would be able to cope with the increased joy.

Eventually, as a result of practicing chi kung regularly, the practitioner becomes more cheerful.
                Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Just do it...

I remember on the teacher training course in Malaysia where Sifu gave this very important piece of information.

Question 9

My life and career have been going through many profound changes. Often, I find myself being pulled in many directions at once and find it hard to relax during the moment. What are some efficient techniques to always maintain a chi kung state of mind and remain positive?

Answer

The answer is simple and straight-forward: just do it.

Just enter into a chi kung state of mind and remain positive.

The wonderful thing is that you can do it. You have the ability to enter into a chi kung state of mind and to remain positive.

People find themselves pulled in many directions at once and hard to relax, or other problems, because of the following reasons.

1. They do not know an effective method to overcome their problems. In this case they do not know that by entering into a chi kung state of mind and remain positive, they will not be pulled in many directions at once and will not find themselves hard to relax.
                  2. They do not believe the remedies will overcome their problems. In this case they do not believe that by entering into a chi kung state of mind, and remain positive, they can overcome the problems of being pulled in many different directions at once and finding it hard to relax.
                  3. They do not have the abilities to perform the remedies. In this case, they do not know how to enter into a chi kung state of mind, and how to remain positive.

You are in a privileged position.

1. You know the remedies.
                  2. You believe the remedies will solve your problems.
                  3. You have the abilities to perform the abilities.

You also have your own personal experience as well as the experiences of many other people that the remedies will overcome your problems.

What you need is some time and effort to work on your remedies and the problems will be overcome as a matter of course. Our chi kung training gives us the mental clarity and a lot of energy to perform the remedies well.

The same principles apply to countless people who remain miserable because of their problems.

They remain miserable because of the following three reasons:

1. They do not have solutions to their problems.
                  2. They do not believe the solutions will solve their problems.
                  3. They do not have the abilities to carry out the solutions.

If they can overcome the above three fators, they will find theur problems are actually opportunities for improvement.

Let us take a simple problem like getting from Southampton to London. People cannot overcome this problem because

1. They do not know how to get from Southampton to London.
                  2. Even if they know the method, they do not believe that the method will get them from Southampton to London.
                  3. Even if they know the method and believe it works, they lack the ability to get from Southampton to London.

Let us take a more complex problem, one that troubles many people, of earning enough to live a comfortable life. Many people have this problem because

1. They do not know how to earn more money to live a comfortable life.
                  2. They do not believe that earning more money will enable them to live a comfortable life.
                  3. They lack the ability to earn more money.

As mentioned earlier, we are in a privilege position. We are elite. Not only we know the reasons why people do not overcome their problems, but also we have the abilities to solve our own problems.

The next important part is: Just do it.

<End>
                  Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

When external becomes internal

Having the ability to carry out daily tasks, often thought of as external, whilst maintaining a smooth flow of energy, is a real skill. A skill that is being taught and practiced at this years summer camp. Having this skill helps to be a living embodiment of the arts.

Question 10

You gave me excellent advice some years ago about moving in stances while carrying heavy firewood. What made this advice so practical for me was that the job of carrying firewood flowed both physically and energetically. It's much more enjoyable and much less tiring. Thank you.

Do you have other suggestions for how to incorporate our arts in ongoing, heavy physical labor? As an example, last spring my father and I undertook a construction project on an island. When transportation issues prevented machinery from coming to the island, I dug holes as deep as three meters by hand for several weeks, 40-50 hours/week.

What would you suggest before, during, and after each day of heavy physical labor? I'd also like to hear your recommendations for those of us who sometimes go from sedentary jobs to periods of heavy physical labor with no transition time.

Answer

I am proud and happy to say that ours is the only school I know that conscientiously and systematically transfers the philosophy, skills and techniques we learn in our kungfu and chi kung classes to enrich our daily life. You are a shining example for this remarkable attainment.

We can transfer anything from our arts not only to ongoing, heavy physical labor, but also to any task, and make the task enjoyable. This is one of the best, if not the best, benefits we have from the dedication to our arts. Of course, it needs creativity and imagination, and the training of our arts gives us this creativity and imagination.

Let us take a common example of carrying some heavy objects from one place to another, which is actually less laborious than your manually digging holes.

Many other people would cry, “Why me again to do this dirty job.” We have to change this negative attitude to a positive one, like, “Now I have a god-sent opportunity to practice my internal force – and I’m going to make it enjoyable, as in our 3rd golden rule of practice.”

Do not carry the heavy objects immediately. Go into a chi kung state of mind. Gently sink your chi to your dan tian. Go to your stance and carry the objects in chi flow. If you are lucky to have your training in more than one round, see that you are more efficient in subsequent rounds.

Suppose you have to prepare a company report. Do not, like many other people, regard it as drudgery. Do your best in your report, and enjoy doing it. This is an opportunity to let you mind flow.

Before, during and after each day of heavy physical labor, or any physical or intellectual activity, enjoy a gentle chi flow. The chi flow before will give you mental clarity and energy for the task. The chi flow during the task, will do the work for you. The chi flow after the task will freshen and energize you.

Those used to sedentary jobs should not miss the opportunity to enjoy heavy physical labor. It is like moving from internal training to external training, or from abdominal breathing to leg stretching.

There is always transition time, no matter how short it may be. During this transition time, like when you stop your sedentary work to move to physical level, enter into a chi kung state of mind, or enter Zen or enter Tao.

The world is full of little beauties. Some of us will have to find them.

<End>
                    Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Bonus question 11!

Sifu puts on so many amazing courses each year throughout the world. We are very lucky. For the Summer Camp in the UK this year it was decided we would return back to the roots, back to the important foundation training and the application. Remembering how much we got from the intensive course in Malaysia has been an inspiration. At this years Summer Camp there is 24 hours of Chi Kung and 30 hours of Kung Fu training.

The idea is that participants will be able to learn or deepen the important steps, that help develop the important skills, that lead to the benefits. Often students (including us) have a number of ‘ah ha’ moments when Sifu passes on a something he has already said many times over the years. This Summer Camp will help to NOT miss the IMPORTANT stuff.

Of course this is not an intensive course like in Malaysia. And I whole heartedly recommend going on them. It is what we might describe as an immersive experience, with often profound impact.

Very much looking forward to seeing you there.

Question 11

How will this year's Summer Camp, with its diverse and profoundly deep array of courses, compare to taking a chi kung or kung fu intensive course with you in Malaysia in terms of impact on and through fundamental (core and vital) skills from the levels of beginners to masters operated in daily life situations?

What impact will these courses have on the aspect of spiritual cultivation and/or Zen cultivation, and what role does our being deserving students play in the full actualization of these central skills over the course of our practice and lifetime development and journey?

Answer

There are three main differences between intensive courses and regional courses. Courses of the UK Summer Camp fall under the category of regional courses.

1. Geographically, intensive courses are centralized. Practitioners come to me for intensive courses. Regional courses are spread out. I go to practitioners to teach regional courses.
                      2. The level of attainment in intensive courses is generally higher than that in regional courses. Students spend more time at an intensive course, about 12 hours in chi kung and 28 hours in kungfu, than at a regional course, about 4 hours in chi kung and 15 hours in kungfu.
                      3. Intensive courses deal with basic or core material that all relevant practitioners in our school practice, like generating energy flow in chi kung, and basic combat sequences in kungfu. Regional courses deal with selective material, like Five-Animal Play, Cosmic Shower, Bone-Marrow Cleansing in chi kung, and Tantui, Eagle Claw, Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, Yang Style Taijiquan and Wudang Taijiquan in kungfu.

Some people may think that there is a contradiction between a higher level in intensive courses where basic material is taught, and a lower level in regional courses where selective material is taught, especially when they think that basic material is rudimentary and selective material is more advanced.

But if they realize that in our school, basic material refers to material practiced by all concerned, and selective material refers to material selected by some practitioners, and both types of material can range from rudimentary to advanced, the apparent contradiction disappears.

The impact on and through fundamental skills from beginners to masters of both my regional and intensive courses in both their arts and daily life are are astounding.

Regarding impact, both my regional courses and intensive courses on both their arts and everyday life of both beginners and masters are life-changing. Beginners who suffered from so-called incurable diseases overcome their diseases and enjoy good health. Masters, as well as many students, who previously regarded their training as endurance suddenly find that every day is a joy.

Regarding fundamental skills, both my regional courses and intensive courses are eye-opening. Beginners who were used to performing external forms find that they can generate energy flow and develop internal force. Masters who were puzzled by the seemingly flowery kungfu movements now can tell combat application of sets which they may not have learnt before.

The impact of these courses on spiritual cultivation and Zen cultivation is also astounding. Beginners and masters not only understand what spiritual cultivation is, irrespective of religion, but also enjoy its practical benefits, from its basic level of being peaceful and happy to very advanced levels of expanding into the Cosmos.

From a vague and often confusing idea of Zen, beginners and masters now not only understand that Zen cultivation is training of mind or spirt, but also enjoy its practical benefits of being simple, direct and effective in their daily life.

As deserving students, Shaolin Wahnam members not only exhibit that they practice the arts correctly and enjoy the benefits, amidst the gross degradation the arts are now undergoing, but also preserve the arts for posterity and pass on the arts to other deserving students.

<End>
                      Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

Bonus 12th answer

Very lucky indeed... here is a 12th bonus answer

“Being sick is morally wrong and morally bad”.

How is this so? How do you define personal morality? And how does one distinguish between what we are born with, as a result of our own karma or genetic data passed down to us by our parents, as in weak genes.

If someone is born unhealthy what can be done, with sickness or illness or deformity? Is getting a cold or flu sickness? Or does sickness mean something else? Why is it someone gets sick?

Answer

To be sick is morally wrong and morally bad because we are born in the image of God, or whatever term we call the Supreme. We owe a duty to God to be healthy.

We also owe a duty to ourselves to be healthy. When one is sick, he functions below par. It is morally wrong and morally bad not to produce what he can normally produce.

To be healthy is natural. As many people are sick today, they may be surprised at this statement. It means that when all his cells, all his tissues, all his organs and all his systems are functioning the ways they are meant to function, that person will be healthy. It is when one or usually more aspects of a person are not functioning naturally that he becomes sick.

Personal morality may be defined as being morally right and good as applied to a person or persons.

Irrespective of what kind of genes we received from our parents, we must always be very grateful to our parents. The Buddha has taught that if a person carries his invalid father or invalid mother everyday for 50 years, not for one life but for 500 lives, he still has not repaid the debt he owes to his parents.

If a person is born with weak genes, he can overcome the weakness by practicing genuine, high-level chi kung. From the chi kung perspective, all weakness is caused by energy blockage. When the blockage is cleared, and the energy flow is harmonious, the weakness will be overcome, irrespective of when, even in past lives, the weakness was caused.

It is the same with sickness or deformity. When the blockage that caused the sickness or deformity is cleared, and energy flows smoothly, the sickness or deformity will be rectified. We have a lot of examples in our school.

Some people were born with phobia. They were afraid of birds, for example, for no apparent reason. The reason, which the patients themselves and many other people might not know, was that some time in the past, in this life or one of his numerous past lives, some traumatic occurrances caused some energy blockage. When the blockage is cleared by high-level chi kung, the phobia just disappears.

Getting a cold or flu is a sickness. Some parts in the person’s body or mind were not working the way they are meant to work, which resulted in a blockage. If these parts are working the way they are meant to work, which means naturally, he will not get a cold or flu. When the blockage is cleared, the sickness will be overcome.

From the chi kung perspective which is also the traditional Chinese medical perspective, i.e. the perspective that has maintained the health and sanity of the largest population of the world for the longest period of time, all sickness is caused by energy blockage. Someone gets sick because he has energy blockage. This is not said by me. It is said by all the great masters in chi kung and traditional Chinese medicine.

When the blockage is cleared, the person will recover his good health, which is his natural birth-right. Practicing genuine chi kung is an excellent way to remain healthy as well as to have vitality and longevity.
                        Tim Franklin

sigpic

Comment

WOW. Profound and awe-inspiring, awesome answers that leave one awe-struck!

Thank you to Sifu and the organizers of the Summer Camp! I am not only convinced, but CERTAIN, that all those able to and wise enough to attend are going to be in for a treasure whose unfolding during and after the camp will be a direct, simple, effective key to the supreme of ultimate achievements and the realization of the deepest aims and highest potential of the art of deepest aims and highest potentials.

With eternal gratitude and excitement to hear about all the experiences,

Kristian

Comment

Working...
                          X