The Fine Art Thread (2016)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found this very interesting series:

"From a height of three meters, porcelain figurines are dropped on the ground, and the sound they make when they hit trips the shutter release. The re...

Including this fine photo:
    Attached Files
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

A hearty hello to everyone!

My appreciation for art is very "classical" because I eschew the academic view of art being a dialectic platform for philosophic or even political causes. Is calling a latrine as "fountain" art? Seeking to shock and disturb as a reason itself is just pointless arguing. It misses the point of art appealing to our intuitive side where it points to direct experience instead of seeking intellectual approval and discourse. True art has merit on its own and doesn't need anyone to rationalize its worth or to connect to it to some historical process, although it can be fun and enlightening to know such context. To my eye art has always been best when it shows the best life can offer: spiritual and moral beauty, wholistic life, or even excellence of skill.

First those enjoying simplicity of design or the world famous Finnish design will appreciate what Jarkko Sandell has to offer.

Then I would like to showcase you the Lycurgus Cup.

Personally I simply love what the ancient artisans and craftsmen have accomplished at their peak in relatively modest conditions. Roman art in particular is a big favorite of mine and the Italian sense of beauty is still very accomplished in our day.

With sincere respect,
      Olli

Comment

Working...
      X