Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fine Art Thread (2016)

Dear Friends and Family,

This thread is for discussion of the Fine Arts, in general, and in specific how the arts relate to spiritual practice, kung fu, enlightenment, or what-have-you.

My story: After literature and music, fine art was my third passion in the arts world, which I discovered in my late teens, during college.

My interests at first tended towards the modernists, and post-modernists, but very soon I developed an appreciation for Asian art, which probably had a strong influence on my decision to go to Asia, and live here for over ten years.

I do credit my love of the arts with bringing me to Shaolin, so I am happy to share this first photo of a painting with you.

Please feel free to share your own work, or work that you admire, or work that confounds you, delights you, sets you free.

This painting by Murakami Takashi, who has recently completed what is thought to be the largest painting in the world. If you don't know the subject of this painting, please ask.

bodhidharmapainting.jpg

Cha
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Killing It With the Street Art

Pow!

photo-street-art-exceptionnel-01.jpg

I've been a long-time fan of street art.

Here's a good collection.

Cha!
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

My Heart Belongs to Dada

Perhaps, more than any other style, form of movement in fine art, it was dada that contributed most to my searching for, being receptive to, and finding the Shaolin arts.

Here is an article on the 100th anniversary of dada. My Heart Belongs to Dada

After reading the article, Do you think you can say, or guess, why dada might have been so instrumental in me finding my path?

dada.jpg

Dada Cha
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
        Pow!

[ATTACH]6509[/ATTACH]

Cha!
        Dear Charles Siheng,

That reminds me of a picture that I took in Dublin:

image.jpg

I hope you enjoy it. :-)

with Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

maybe not "Fine Art" - but obviously well trained!

... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

I used to love drawing, and love art class at school. I still think I would enjoy it if I made the time for it.

Later in life I went to a few galleries, 3 in fact, but was deeply unimpressed. All modern 'art', installations, even photographs! Barely any actual paintings, drawings or sculptures, and those that did exist were abstract. I wrote out a big rant about this, which was very enjoyable, but then I decided maybe others like this stuff and so I shouldn't be so negative. Anyway, maybe I went to the wrong galleries.

I happened to be off one day as my friends were coming to town to visit later, enjoying a lie in, watching the comedy programmes that they used to show on UK's Channel 4. Then it said that after the break there would be a programme about art. I had no interest in watching it, but on the other hand I had no interest in leaving my comfortable bed to go over to change channels (it was a fairly primitive TV!) So I left it on. It ended up being a brilliant programme about "The Impressionists". The details of their lives, the world they lived in, all of that was really interesting, but it also showed some genuinely brilliant artwork that even the likes of me could appreciate, and hence from that day forth my favourite artists has been Manet. I am sorry I do not have any images to attach so you will have to google them!

I like drawings of nature, of mountains, meadows, rivers etc, or of man-made structures in that setting such as bridges, farmyard cottages etc.

I think I always liked looking at such artwork, but that programme talked a lot about the meaning behind the paintings, about the personalities of the artists and so forth, and for the first time I could understand how people could get enjoyment from discussing and studying such things, as opposed to just looking at the artwork.

Comment

Hi there,

thank you Charles for starting this thread.

This post aims to show a process, not just the result, it's a commission work (acrylic on canvas) named 'First Star' by 'Surfartist' painter Patrick Parker (http://www.patrickparkerart.com/#home) and shows several stages from first sketch to final painting.

Hope you find this interesting and enjoyable,
              Best regards,
              Michael

1_sketches.jpg2_color sketch.jpg3_Progress.jpg4_Progress 2.jpg5_Better Revised Pic2.jpg
              Last edited by MichaelS; 3 April 2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

...this is the final one, didn't fit in the first post...lol, Michael
                7_First Star_Final.jpg

Comment

Aloha!

Thanks for sharing that very idyllic image, Michael.

Yrs.

Chas
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Interesting progression thanks Michael. I would not have expected the last one after the earlier ones... especially the sky. But then acrylic does allow that.
                    Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                    Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Anish Kapoor and Vanta Black

In recent art world news:

Anish Kapoor Paints Sculpture in "Darkest Black Known to Humanity"

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 7.14.25 PM.jpg

Kapoor "plans to spend the next year applying it to all of his large-scale outdoor works."

Yrs.

Chas.
                      Charles David Chalmers
                      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Charles,

thank you very much for sharing. It’s really interesting. When one doesn’t focus on what’s on the picture but just looks at it then it looks like a ‘black hole’ in the universe to me.

The pic is from Wikipedia.de (German version) and would show a ‘fictive’ black hole in the milky way (can’t say myself what a ‘ficitive’ one is and what a ‘real’ one… :-)). But has sort of the same effect as the ‘blackest black’ object.

Thank you, lol, Michael
                        Black_Hole_Milkyway.jpg
                        Last edited by MichaelS; 5 April 2016, 12:07 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Dear Sifu,

thank you for your comment on the painting progression. Yes, I was myself surprised how much an acrylic painting can change.

But the reason why it changed was in the ‘commission and painting process’.

The painter, Patrick Parker, only had a description in words from me, that it shall be a tropical landscape in more naturalistic style (no ‘dream-landscape’) and that it shall show a beach with a campfire and three people (2 adults, one child). It shall show the sunset setting in with a lot’s of ‘blues’ in the sky and in the ocean. It shall not show a dramatic sunset with a lot’s of ‘reds and dark oranges’).

So, he drew 3 different sketches on paper to start with and we agreed on the third one as basis for the painting. At the first color sketch everything looked fine to me. He had then asked me ‘whether I’d like to see a mellow sky or vibrant stormy sky’ which I left up to him. However, the next stage surprised me, as it turned in the direction where I didn’t like to have it in the first place. The painter however in his own words, tends to ‘go high contrast’, so when painting from his own inspiration so to say naturally came off from my original description. Then I pointed to one of his older paintings, leading to the next stage; but here again I had meant that only with reference to the colors, not style – he had seen something else in the reference painting then myself. Next stage came closer, then I suggested to add an early star, as I was always watching one at that time from my balcony. He then changed and added some details and the star and called the painting ‘First Star’.

I never met Patrick Parker in person, he lives on Hawaii and myself in Switzerland, we communicated via email and I got the finished painting via FedEx.

The coolest thing was, that Patrick always stayed positive, nothing was ever a problem, ‘Beachboy-Surfer-Style’…

Mahalos,
                          Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                            Pow!

[ATTACH]6509[/ATTACH]

Cha!
                            Amazing street art example! Thank you so much for sharing dear Charles
                            .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
                            “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
                            Hafiz

Comment

Art deco, Wiener secession, Jugenstil

Art Deco, Wiener secession, Jugendstil, Belle Époque - these are definitively my favorites. I love performance Art too (unless I have to perform myself :OOOOOOO) My dear Shaolin brothers and sisters know it so far , I guess

However, Since I bought Chinese ink and brushes in Malaysia and China, I am practicing ink brush single stroke paintings. I would like to share with you some soon.

I am not a master yet I am still a student, but I enjoy every single stroke of my brush.

Today I went to the town of Zug where I live and I took pictures of the cherry trees and flowers. We have cherries in full blossom now and we have 100 000 cherry trees here in Zug - We are proud of it, yes wer are .

If weather permits, I will go later with my ink to look for a perfect cherry flower.
                              Last edited by Irina; 10 April 2016, 01:49 PM.
                              .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
                              “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
                              Hafiz

Comment

Working...
                              X