Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sifu's Autobiography: The Way of The Master

Dear Family, and Friends,

After a busy year of work and school, this past December break I have had a chance to really delve into Sifu's simply incredible autobiography, The Way of the Master.

To be honest, I thought I knew what to expect, having read almost all of Sifu's books, and much of the Q&A series for so long. But, I just read a chapter that I was really unprepared for, and that simply amazed me. As in, I was left wide-eyed, mouth agape, laughing in surprise and delight, which is definitely not a reading event I enjoy often. Those of you who are some ways along will certainly have some idea what I'm talking about. Sifu has some extraordinary experiences, and tells the stories very well.

Naturally, they are not all "amazing tales." The diversity, and depth is exemplary(the book is, after all, over eight hundred pages.) For the kungfu initiate it is a gold mine. For poets, the names of the patterns alone should satisfy. For language scholars, there is sifu's insight into the Chinese languages. For our Wahnam family, it is of course a treasure.

sifufamily.jpg

I don't have much more to say at this point, and don't want to spoil any surprises, but after that stunning passage, I wanted to start this thread, without further delay, to give others encouragement. Feel free to contribute, ask a question, post a reaction, a comment, or just check in now and then, as I will certainly have more to say as I continue reading.

For the sake of those in the process of reading, perhaps it would be good to give a spoiler warning, if you are going to give away part of the plot that relies upon the building of suspense--a sometimes delicate matter.

Best Wishes and Happy Reading,

Charles

January 4th, 2016
    Tanah Jambu
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

In case anyone was curious about which of Sifu's tales so amazed and amused me, it was the lottery story. There are of course so many extraordinary stories, but this one, for some reason, got me.

Does anyone else want to share a chapter or passage that particularly spoke to them? It may be hard to do without spoiling surprises, but, who knows? There are likely others who share your excitement. When someone who hasn't yet read "The Lottery" section, they will say, "Ah yeah, Charles also LOL'd and when he read this."
    What could it be? How, what?

Still,

Cha
    Last edited by Charles David; 5 January 2016, 06:37 AM.
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Wonderful thread! I poured through the autobiography over the course of two months this past summer reading a steady couple of chapters a day as it is a huge and masterful biography! Some of the stories that I remember rereading and really enjoying were the stories of Sigung Ho's Taoist magic students and their feats, Sifu's impromptu being challenged to a fight on the street and dominating the challenger, and, of course, the Heart to Heart Transmission chapter as the very last few sentences of the book literally made me involuntarily cry (and I'm not ashamed to admit it haha)! It reminded me of one of the final sections of The Complete Book of Shaolin regarding calligraphy of a zen master, and Sifu's writing appeared to come alive, speak right to and even through my heart, and felt as if it had measurably transformed, blessed, and secured my future in a happy and profound way... I don't think words can clarify it, but it was magical in itself and the entire book became a 'course' in a way. Amazing!

Comment

Working...
      X