No announcement yet.

Telepathy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The So-Called Miraculous is Actually Mundane!

Originally posted by Dorit View Post

You never before thought of some subject not discussed earlier between you and your partner, and just in this moment your partner begins to speak about it?
    Actually, yeah, this happens to me quite often with my better half. (get it? better half? two parts of the whole.) And I certainly do attribute it to us being able to pick up each other's mental vibrations quite easily. Both of us have practiced chi kung now for around ten years. It's not really a big deal and nothing really to write home about. Actually it is so routine, domestic, commonplace that when I was thinking of examples it did not come to mind. So thanks for the reminder, Dorit! The so-called miraculous is actually mundane!

Further:

Although I have never done this before, I wonder if it might be time to start testing my abilities in this regard? I have an idea.

Yrs.

Chas.
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
      I personally don't believe in telepathy, because I have never experienced it, and I take seriously Sifu's advice, passed on from the Buddha, to "Accept nothing on faith alone."
      Sifu's advice is not to disbelieve everything (or indeed anything) because you have never experienced it. Sifu's advice is far more to remain open minded and then, once you have evidence, decide on the truth or otherwise of any claim based on your personal experience. I see this as "healthy scepticism". Whereas I find the first statement ("I don't believe X, because I haven't experienced it") to be "unhealthy scepticism".
      Sifu Andrew Barnett
      Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
      Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
      Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
        Regarding Skepticism: Thanks for your reply, but you didn't answer my question, Is "I don't believe in X" the same as saying "I believe X doesn't exist," which not-answering is of course okay.
        If it's ok, I am not currently planning on answering the questions, or getting into a point-by-point rebuttal sort of situation, because while that may be new to others on this topic, to me it would just be repetition, I wouldn't see anything that hasn't already been covered in my reading of the topic. If anything does come up on this thread that I consider new logic, or anything that changes my mind or can't be interpreted in that way etc, I will let you know. That includes, perhaps most interestingly, that if I reach a higher level of attainment, and experience things for myself that others, who already have that attainment, speak of.

However if you do still want me to answer that particular question, then in return I have a question or two for you, which will simply be a rephrasing of my earlier statement into a question:

I would prefer to refer you to books that put it much better than I could, and much better than I have seen anyone else do.

I would rather not do that though, for a couple of reasons, and I will tell you why. The books I speak of are from people who I consider to be highly intelligent, who make very strong arguments, and they are very hard hitting on anything unscientific, that is why I mentioned earlier that they need a strong constitution to read. I am not sure if I have ever heard them specifically argue against chi (other than against empty force), though I think there are books where people do. Those books, in my opinion, would not challenge your or my belief in chi as we have experienced it and experience it every day, so obviously no mere book will change our minds. But, in my opinion, if someone was thinking of getting involved in our arts for example (and other arts/practices) I think those books could dissuade a lot of people. Or even just a few people. So I would prefer not to take the chance. Hoping you agree with me on that, or at least respect the reason.
        Do you accept my reasons for not wanting to share or "push" the books, authors etc who I believe have the answers to all the questions raised thus far in this thread?

But, regarding skepticism, you appear to know more that me about that field, so I will bow out of the argument, which, as you say, may be pointless.

Regarding a Scientific Approach to Telepathy: If we don't wish to argue the points above, and rather, work together with my hypothesis, which I invite you to do.
        You have said you wish to bow out of that part of the argument, I too then would prefer to bow out of the other parts, as I have made the points I wanted to make, and I have done the reading which covers the other points in the thread, but do not currently recommend it for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          Sifu's advice is not to disbelieve everything (or indeed anything) because you have never experienced it. Sifu's advice is far more to remain open minded and then, once you have evidence, decide on the truth or otherwise of any claim based on your personal experience. I see this as "healthy scepticism". Whereas I find the first statement ("I don't believe X, because I haven't experienced it") to be "unhealthy scepticism".
          Andrew Siheng, yes I agree with what you say. If any of the semantics of my thrown together sentences are the problem, that is not a bother to me, perhaps I am not being articulate enough. Sifu's advice does not say "disbelieve everything as your starting point" it simply says "Accept nothing on faith alone." I therefore cannot currently accept telepathy according to that advice because I would be accepting it on faith alone. All I have is words on either side, and obviously the words on the sceptic side are the more persuasive to me at this point in time, on that particular matter, though not all matters. Whereas chi, internal force, chi kung and kungfu I accept not because of faith, nor as it happens because of scientific proof, but because of experience.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, Paul. So, if I interpret correctly, you do not believe in telepathy at the moment but are open enough to change that viewpoint if your personal experience justifies it. That sounds pretty good to me
            Sifu Andrew Barnett
            Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
            Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
            Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
              Thanks for clarifying, Paul. So, if I interpret correctly, you do not believe in telepathy at the moment but are open enough to change that viewpoint if your personal experience justifies it. That sounds pretty good to me
              Exactly right Andrew Siheng!

Comment

Do you accept my reasons for not wanting to share or "push" the books, authors etc who I believe have the answers to all the questions raised thus far in this thread?
                I certainly do. (Though I'm not sure what "not accepting" your reasons would entail.)

I am not currently planning on answering the questions, or getting into a point-by-point rebuttal sort of situation,
                Haha. Of course. That would just be bad kungfu! And this is still our leisure time, so let's just do what we feel like doing.

I think Andrew Sihing has articulated much better, and more succinctly, what I would have liked to say regarding your outlook.

perhaps most interestingly, that if I reach a higher level of attainment, and experience things for myself
                Yes, let's use the energy generated by our "blah blah blah" (Kai Siheng) and make sure we practice diligently.

I therefore cannot currently accept telepathy
                Accept? Maybe it's like not picking up the phone? "I'm sorry. The party you are dialing will not accept the charges..."

The bottom line is that you, we, are enjoying our practice and getting benefits.

Yours,

Sidai
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

I certainly do.
                  Thank you Charles.

(Though I'm not sure what "not accepting" your reasons would entail.)
                  Nothing serious, just me having to do either more work explaining why I would prefer not to, or spending time looking up a load of references and what not, which I don't think would really be of enough benefit to anyone, in comparison to:

The bottom line is that you, we, are enjoying our practice and getting benefits.
                  Hear hear.

Comment

From Sifu's January, 2016 Question and Answer Series (linked):

[ATTACH]6530[/ATTACH]
                    Cheers,

Charles
                    Attached Files
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Ah that's my question! Didn't realize it's up on the website!

Best wishes,
                      Stephen

Comment

I had another instance of telepathic communication this week. I had a thought, for the first time in my life--a rather specific thought about a previously unconsidered possibility-- and I found that, less than a day later, someone had posted that this possibility was indeed coming to pass.

No biggie,
                        and as before, not conclusive evidence;
                        just a growing body of personal anecdote and confirmation.

Yours,

Charles
                        Charles David Chalmers
                        Brunei Darussalam

Comment

That's odd, I was thinking of you too Charles!
                          Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                          A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Hi Charles,

Have you read Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson? I have found it very useful in this area. Also notice that your approach to this is a lot like that ascribed to Timothy Leary i.e. avoiding the "epistemological sin of "speculating beyond the data".

All the best,

Barry
                            Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                            Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                            Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                            UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                            sigpic

Comment

Hello Sihengs,

I'm happy to hear from both of you!

Tim,

I'm glad to hear you thought of me. That helps confirm that the reason for my suddenly thinking this idea, of a special kind of new course, was in fact picking up on vibrations, thoughts that you were putting out, I should add, without any effort on my part.

Barry,

I read Wilson a long time ago, in high school, the Illuminati trilogy, if I'm not mistaken, but I've never read the work you refer to.

As far as Leary and the epistemological sin of speculating, isn't that also known a 'hypothesizing', and one of the main foundations of scientific method?
                              Or is there some kind of fine distinction I don't know about?

Yours,

Chaz
                              Charles David Chalmers
                              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi Charles,

it was an opportunity to mention Wilson and Leary, both of whom I think are widely misunderstood. I find as I go back and read them now they have an interesting and useful take on the world. Not that I believe anything they say - as they specifically suggested not to - but it is useful for challenging assumptions.

I remember waking up at c. 3am around 15 years ago, excitedly waking my wife and saying "We don't know what assumptions we are making". She was less excited but I bring that to mind now and again. My experience is that I used to have ideas or theories about what was happening that contained a whole load of assumptions. I didn't even know I was doing it. The scientific method can be wonderful, so wonderful in fact that many scientists I know should try it .

I found it very useful when Sifu used to say "very good ... carry on". So, I liked your phrase.

With metta,

Barry
                                Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                                Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                                Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                                UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X