Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
    He learned from watching a rooster?
    Yes he said on the documentary he based that particular move on something he saw one of the roosters do.

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
    (Why do I keep thinking of the praying mantis more than the other animals?)
    Think I might know what you mean. Roy Jones Jr in particular? I think I can see that, and also remember watching Floyd Mayweather training and seeing him do something with similar spirit (though not as much in his style in actual fights.)

Comment

I just remembered a happy boxing-related memory yesterday, I was doing my second chi kung course with Sifu, he knew me more from my forum posts than in person those days I think. I was having a really vigorous chi flow, arms flailing away really fast, faster than I could manage if I was doing it consciously. I heard Sifu nearby and he said exuberantly: "Very good. You can use this speed in your Taijiquan... or your Boxing!"

Comment

I had another course memory, which reminded me of this video, though it is not technically boxing. I remember I had asked how to deal with a slugger, which to me is the most difficult other art/attack to deal with, I would rather meet a jujitsu or taekwondo expert any day than a slugger or good boxer. On the Wing Choon course with Sifu (one of the best courses ever, where we learned how to manifest jing and hard force, in an internal manner) Sifu got me to demonstrate a slugger attack. He laughed and said "This would be easy!" Which is fine, because Sifu is a Master.

But then I saw everyone else, even novices laughing as well and I thought "Ah... they have made the mistake of thinking the slugger would be like me." When of course I was talking about someone who is 6ft 2ins, 16st and really powerful, ie the opposite of me! Anyway, here is a better example of the sort of attack I was talking about, where even a fantastic professional light heavyweight champion, Tito Ortiz, has no answer and is pulverised by it:
        Visit our website for more knockouts. http://www.greatest-knockouts.com

By the way I feel much better about dealing with such an attack now, though I would still rather the guy I was fighting was my size and not Chuck Liddell size!

Comment

I've never really been that into boxing but I came across this video today and wow. I don't think I've ever seen someone rock guys like this fellow could. His technique seems to come from spiraling from the waist too, almost like a fajing.

Comment

This one is especially for Paul, our drunken boxer. How familiar were you with Emanuel Augustus?

Comment

Originally posted by understanding View Post

This one is especially for Paul, our drunken boxer. How familiar were you with Emanuel Augustus?
              Cool video

Comment

So he lost to Floyd Mayweather then.

Comment

Oh my god is it really 4 years since we were last on this thread!!! And I missed a great video by shaolinfist of Julian Jackson too!

Hi understanding yeah I echo what Mark said, cool video. To be honest I wasn’t that familiar with Emanuel Augustus. I think I vaguely remember him fighting later in his career, but there’s a few moves etc in that video that I’ve definitely not seen before! He doesn’t have a big knockout percentage and seems to only have fought 3 names so I wouldn’t have sought him out.

I dunno what to make of him. I’m usually not a fan of slick, tricky “boxers” who move around etc, I prefer “fighters” ie the “raging bull” type who come forward all the time looking for the knockout, where the fights are wars etc.

I’m also not usually a fan of unorthodox fighters, generally I think the closer a fighter sticks to text book boxing principles the better he’ll be. I tend to like fights where the latter type knocks out the former type, where the raging bull gores the matador!

But then you see this guy land all those punches against Mayweather when even the likes of Canelo could hardly touch Mayweather and you have to give him a lot of credit! Also I’ve always thought, like most boxers or boxing trainers, if the other guy is a better boxer than you, you should fight him, ie come forward throwing punches, whereas if he’s a better fighter than you you should box him, ie keep him on the end of your jab etc. “Fight a boxer, box a fighter.” Emanuel, well he can fight and box but his unique style means he’s never playing the other guy at his own game.

Would he have been a better fighter if he’d sought to hone the textbook boxing skills or would he have been better to use his unorthodox style?

Comment

Hi Paul! It's been a while since we last chatted.

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
                    I dunno what to make of him. I’m usually not a fan of slick, tricky “boxers” who move around etc, I prefer “fighters” ie the “raging bull” type who come forward all the time looking for the knockout, where the fights are wars etc.

I’m also not usually a fan of unorthodox fighters, generally I think the closer a fighter sticks to text book boxing principles the better he’ll be. I tend to like fights where the latter type knocks out the former type, where the raging bull gores the matador!
                    I remember as much of your boxing preference when we talked in Dublin.

It's very interesting that this entertaining matador strategy has actually worked for someone, who would have thought? It's of course pretty obvious that this type of swaying wouldn't work in the heavyweight division where a single mistake could get you instantly knocked out cold (talk about bull gorging the matador!) and the boxers' physiques are too massive to permit all of these agile maneuvers.

But then you see this guy land all those punches against Mayweather when even the likes of Canelo could hardly touch Mayweather and you have to give him a lot of credit! Also I’ve always thought, like most boxers or boxing trainers, if the other guy is a better boxer than you, you should fight him, ie come forward throwing punches, whereas if he’s a better fighter than you you should box him, ie keep him on the end of your jab etc. “Fight a boxer, box a fighter.” Emanuel, well he can fight and box but his unique style means he’s never playing the other guy at his own game.
                    Good observation. Yin-yang dynamics apply to boxing also.

Would he have been a better fighter if he’d sought to hone the textbook boxing skills or would he have been better to use his unorthodox style?
                    Hard to say. It would be interesting to read or hear of his own thoughts about his motivation and how he sees his career in retrospect. Did he even try to hone his orthodox skills?

Yes, I do feel that he might have relied into his style too much as a gimmick as testified by his professional record of about 50-50 in terms of losses and wins. In the professional setting results matter, not the form nor the style. To think otherwise is to miss the meaning of competition and its rewards.

Cheers,
                    Olli

Comment

Hi Paul! It's been a while since we last chatted.
                      Yes, too long eh,

I remember as much of your boxing preference when we talked in Dublin.

It's very interesting that this entertaining matador strategy has actually worked for someone, who would have thought? It's of course pretty obvious that this type of swaying wouldn't work in the heavyweight division where a single mistake could get you instantly knocked out cold (talk about bull gorging the matador!) and the boxers' physiques are too massive to permit all of these agile maneuvers.
                      I mean there have been successful matador fighters depending how we define it if we include Muhammad Ali (though when the matador stuff let him down he could fight like the bull too). And floyd mayweather, though floyd could also stay in range in the pocket and fight too. I think you’re right re the heavyweights, haven’t seen one as tricky as Emanuel, I guess Ali and maybe Fury might be the closest.

Hard to say. It would be interesting to read or hear of his own thoughts about his motivation and how he sees his career in retrospect. Did he even try to hone his orthodox skills?

Yes, I do feel that he might have relied into his style too much as a gimmick as testified by his professional record of about 50-50 in terms of losses and wins. In the professional setting results matter, not the form nor the style. To think otherwise is to miss the meaning of competition and its rewards.

Cheers,
                      Olli
                      Yeah you’re right would be interesting to hear his views. Would also love to hear what coaches thing including my greatest old coach (sadly passed on and training the angels in heaven to set down the harp and pick up the 16 oz gloves!)

I don’t know the answer. Take Naseem hamed of the U.K. Amazing speed, power and reactions. In my view he was let down by his unorthodox style, if he’d been born in Detroit not Sheffield and trained in the kronk gym he’d have been great.

But take Marcos maidana. Unorthodox, almost without technique, just aggressive hard puncher with both hands flailing in all the time from weird angles. He gave mayweather his toughest fight, fighters always prefer fighting slick boxers to hard hitting pressure fighters though they often famously pretend different!

i think maidana in a way follower Sifus advice to take the initiative, practise his combinations then just go in go in go in!

I think you’re right about pro fights re results, I do think style matters in one regard though. Come forward hard hitting sluggers make more money than defensive slick boxers. The slick boxers only make money if they are willing to fight the sluggers.

I remember a great video where mike Tyson was watching old footage of the great Jack Johnson with Harry carpenter. Tyson said “great fighter, great jab, great skills, great defence. And if he were around today he wouldn’t make a penny.” Because people don’t want to see that.

If I pay for a pay per view event, I’d rather see a Conor McGregor or mike Tyson first round knockout than a Tyson fury 12 round decision. Best of all is a war where both guys hit the canvas though!

Comment

Hi Paul

Did you see Iron Mike is back?

Comment

Those new videos of his pad work is crazyyyyyyy

Comment

Hi Mark, unreal wasn’t it? Man what I wouldn’t give to see a mid 80s Tyson fight Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury. He’d destroy either one in one round.

I know he’s past it now, but I am certain if a young heavyweight released a pad work video like that, Joshua and Fury would retire rather than face him.

Comment

Working...
                            X