Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too much sleep?

Greetings,

I'm a relatively active 38 year old man and in good health but tend to sleep deeply and for long periods if I don't set an alarm. Without an alarm I can easily sleep 9-10 hours daily. Having taken up Qigong practice for the past two months I feel lighter and more energetic during the day, but my sleep still seems like its too much without external controls. What might be the cause of this and how can it be changed? My bedtime routine is quite good: dark room, lights dimmed after sunset, etc. Is it possible to sleep 7-8 hours without needing an alarm clock? I'd really appreciate any advice you all might be able to offer.

P.S. My first time ever doing Qigong, doing the Eight Brocades, I had already slept a full 8 hours, but shortly after the Eight Brocades I became very sleepy and took a two hour nap, which was quite unusual for me.

Thanks.

It is very good, that you can sleep soundly for 9 hours. Many people struggle with having too little sleep, or waking up many times a night.
    Thus, I would not worry. Sleep is natures way of keeping us healthy. If you enjoy sleeping, then just enjoy it. If there is need for you to wake up earlier, before going to bed, you can have a gentle thought of waking up at the right time. Then just enjoy your sleep.

As in our daily practice, the best advice is as follows:
    1. Don't worry.
    2. Don't intellectualize.
    3. Enjoy your practice.

Best regards,

Nessa
    Nessa Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland
    Instructor
    nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Thank you, Nessa (coincidentally, I lived in Finland for five years, mutta en puhu suomea hyvin )

Regarding sleep, it's true I do need less, simply because I work as a freelancer out of home and I usually need to be up at 5:00-5:30 am to work in silence, otherwise it is very difficult to work with kids running around the house, etc. I'm thankful that I can sleep like I do as it's better than have difficulty with sleep, still I feel there needs to be a balance.

Comment

Hienoa, toivottavasti viihdyit täällä Suomessa!

Yes, it's good to have balance.
        Practicing chi kung will give you awareness as well as more energy to make good choices in your daily life.

Nessa
        Nessa Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland
        Instructor
        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Ibn Ajibah

How lucky you are!

Thank you for this inspiring question.

Few things have been going on in my mind since I read it.

I remember when I was a child, I LOVED sleeping. I enjoyed sleeping so much that I was constantly smiling my sleep. And when I woke up I felt a little nostalgic and maundered a little more.

Now, I enjoy sleeping too, but due to working commitments I rarely get more than 6-7 hours a day. Even on weekends I tend to wake up at 8am because my inner clock tells me "wake up".

I believe, tonight I will try out how it was then, to sleep as long as I want and to enjoy. My objective is at least 12 hours

Best Shaolin greetings
          .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
          “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
          Hafiz

Comment

Wonderful! A thread that has turned into an ode to sleeping!
            Charles David Chalmers
            Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
            X