What are the chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances?

To start the story, I have to say that of all the books ever written, I owe the most to Sifu's book, The Art of Chi Kung because Sifu's book led me to learn Chi Kung and experience the many benefits of practicing Chi Kung.

When I was given The Art of Chi Kung 10 years for my 32nd birthday, none of Sifu's books were at my local library here in Sitka, Alaska. I had expressed interest in Sifu's book to my wife some months before that birthday, and my wife ordered the Art of Chi Kung from my sihing, Eugene Sitterman, in New York City.

I had my 42nd birthday six days ago, and along with presents and cake I mentally noted the anniversary of beginning on this path.

4 1/2 months after being given The Art of Chi Kung, I flew to Las Vegas with a good friend to attend Sifu's Introduction to Chi Kung course. From there after experiencing positive benefits, I recommended Chi Kung to a number of friends. My sihing Anthony Spinnichia taught many courses here in my Alaska town, and Sifu also taught a course here almost 5 years ago. In addition to many Shaolin Wahnam students in my town, my wife and three sons have also practiced twice daily for years.

It would be correct to say that everyone practicing Chi Kung here in Alaska, as well as the students who have moved away from here, all can trace learning Chi Kung to the single copy of The Art of Chi Kung that my wife gave me.

Moving to the present day, this afternoon I visited our local library to do some research on tea and coffee. I did a catalog search and wrote down the call numbers of a few books. Sitting next to the first book on my list of books was my library's copy of The Art of Chi Kung that had been misfiled on the wrong shelf. I thought to myself, "Well hello, old friend!" and thumbed through the book.

I had seen this copy of The Art of Chi Kung some years ago. I can perhaps guess that the past head librarian, who learned Chi Kung from Anthony sihing and who benefited greatly, had ordered the book for the library.

It was a pleasure to remove the library's copy of Sifu's book and refile it correctly next to Sifu's The Complete Book of Tai Chi Chuan. Poetically, it felt to me like I was returning a small favor to a book that has given me a great gift.

Thank you, Sifu, for writing The Art of Chi Kung, and thank you for sharing Chi Kung and the Shaolin Arts with us. My family and I are eternally grateful.
Working...
X