How can I learn chi kung properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I learn chi kung properly?

Hi everyone, I've been reading and following sifu wong's books for a long time now (since 11!) and am now finally going to start working at 22 So, having an income source, I can now seek proper instruction.

I live in malaysia, penang specifically. I am interested to know if there are going to be any chi kung courses in malaysia at the end of 2015 or perhaps 2016, and how I may get more info on it. Failing that, I'd also be interested in a taijiquan course, but my priority is to learn chi exercises, especially the small universe breathing, or at least a foundation for it.

Still failing that, would it be possible to take weekend classes in kedah, where master wong/his son may teach, at least for a few weeks or months? Even though its just the next state, driving out so far each week would not really be very viable as a long term solution.

I hope this would be right place to ask, and thank you for any advice given

Hello Daniel,

Welcome to our Shaolin Wahnam forum

Please look here for a list of certified Shaolin Wahnam instructors based in Malaysia: http://shaolin.org/general/instructo....html#malaysia

As you live in Penang, I highly recommend that you apply for Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit's Intensive courses when the opportunity arises. Please visit http://shaolin.org/ for details regarding any future Intensive courses to be held in Malaysia.

I hope this helps.

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Thank you! I have already seen the first link; the closest to me would be sifu wong chun nga, and the others are 3-4 states away.

I'll keep checking the courses page regularly for something suitable

Comment

Hi sifu lee, on checking again I realised you're the master from KL on the website. Thank you again, and perhaps someday if you hold a course I may be fortunate to attend too

Comment

Dear wonderlusterer,

I would like to second Sifu Wei Joo's advice. Some of the most beautiful moments in my life I experienced at the Intensive Courses that my Sifu (Sifu Wong Kiew Kit) teaches. And the benefits afterwards, as you continue training, are even better . Absolutely the next best thing is attend Sifu Wei Joo's course, if he teaches one again, as he is an excellent teacher.

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
          www.shaolinwahnam.nl
          www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Thank you for the advice
            For now I've been doing lifting the sky for about a month, while waiting for a course. I can feel the self manifested chi movement, or at least I think it is. I can describe it as:

a) Gentle swaying of my body in circular movements
            b) Movement not made by muscular tension
            c) Direction of movement is more or less random, but I sway left to right in a figure 8 pattern
            d) After coming to a stop, I feel a sort of static charge around my body, especially around the hands and waist

From reading Sifu Wong's books and watching shaolin wahnam videos, I am pretty sure my experience is real, though I am sure the results would be better if I learnt from a course.

Actually, before this I practiced abdominal breathing too, and was able to feel chi storing at my qihai area for awhile, so I assumed things were okay. Just a few days ago I suddenly got sick, and when I started feeling a bit feverish and had a gassy feeling in my abdomen, I decided to stop that and just do lifting the sky. The symptoms have now been reduced to a mild morning flu. I plan to just keep up lifting the sky, this should be alright, right?

Thank you for your help and advice

Comment

Hello Daniel,

From your descriptions provided, it seems that you have good, gentle chi flow from your one month practise of Lifting the Sky. Congratulations.

Abdominal Breathing should be learnt and practised with the supervision of a competent instructor. To continue practising Abdominal Breathing on your own may invite trouble.

When practising your Lifting the Sky, just make sure that you have good form. Practise according to the instructions in Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit's books, and don't add or subtract anything to it.

Also, follow the 3 golden rules:
              1. Don't worry
              2. Don't intellectualize
              3. Enjoy your practise

You may continue with your practise of Lifting the Sky. I suggest leaving out Abdominal Breathing.

With Shaolin Salute,
              Lee Wei Joo

Comment

Thank you Sifu Lee.

I start with about 10 deep breaths to enter the chi kung state of mind, followed by some chi flow swaying. Then I do about 20-25 repetitions of lifting the sky, followed by another round of self manifested chi movement, and then standing meditation. I feel like I still need to work on relaxing even more. The whole thing actually takes up to half an hour instead of 5 - 10 minutes as described by Sifu Wong. I dont worry about overtraining though, as I'm probably not doing it as efficiently as it could be if I had learnt from a qualified instructor

Comment

Hello Daniel,

Safety first is very important in our school. If the whole session is 5 to 10 minutes as described by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit, then you should also aim to have your session be around 5 to 10 minutes. This is especially important as you are a fresh beginner who has not learnt from any certified instructor yet. Actually 5 to 10 minutes is quite sufficient to get the benefits from your practise.

If you are taking a long time in standing meditation, I suggest cutting the standing meditation to just 1 minute. You can also go straight to Lifting the Sky after entering the chi kung state of mind.

To relax, just don't worry, don't intellectualize, and enjoy your practise while practising.

With Shaolin Salute,
                  Lee Wei Joo

Comment

Okay Sifu, I will try to shorten the sessions. To be honest I have no idea how it takes so long. The initial 10 breaths and 20 repetitions ought to take a standard amount of time.

I will shorten the standing meditation (less daydreaming and more quality meditation), and try to shorten the swaying chi flow, though I quite like that part. Thank you for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                    X