No announcement yet.

Bruce Lee and MMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should say that in my posts I am talking about internal kungfu, as opposed to "internal methods" which some people may use to describe such things as being relaxed, practising yoga, practising visualisation, maybe self hypnosis etc. If I have used the term internal methods, which I have tried not to, depending on the context I probably meant it as in "methods from internal kungfu".

Comment

Hi Paul,

I for one enjoy chatting and conversing with you, so there is no need to think or feel that your posts here are not welcome. If I didn’t I would tell you. As you say I can be forthright if I choose.

You have highlighted and interesting subject about internal kung fu training though Paul that I would like to explore more.
      If I don’t reply much after this post though it is because I have been swallowed up in the summer camp, ready to continue the conversation when I re-emerge. So it won’t be because I don’t find what you are saying interesting.

there was no chi cultivation involved, no fa jin and so forth
      I believe that there are many levels to a persons internal Kung Fu training and development and that the various aspects of that training can be applied to their combat at different stages. Of course to their daily life as well, which is important, but right now we are talking more about combat.

If a person is at the body relaxation stage of practice, where they are not using tense muscles, but not yet at the noticing an increase level of internal force, then they are still cultivating. That is ‘preparing the way’.

I think though that ‘cultivating’ can come to mean a number of things.

If a person has developed sufficient internal force to make their strikes and movements more powerful, but they have not yet developed the skill of Fa Jin, they are still using the results of their internal kung fu training.

Therefore a beginner in internal Kung Fu training, who was a skilled fighter, could be using internal Kung Fu instead of muscular strength.

If they are using flowing movement, without staccato movements they are displaying flowing force. Regardless of the level of force flowing. If they lack the force then their strikes may not be powerful, but they would still be using internal Kung Fu.

At the other end of the scale if a person has developed a lot of internal force and has the skill to apply it then that would be using internal Kung Fu. They might not have a lot of flowing movement, but a lot of force.

So I see the practice and use of internal Kung Fu at many levels, which would then open the opportunity for any one of the budding or experienced fighters to use certain aspects of internal training to enhance their existing training.

A nice balance of internal and external can work very well indeed.

There are of course non martial aspects of our internal training that could enhance the effectiveness and skills of a martial artist. For instance our standing meditation. Entering a chi kung state of mind. Smiling from the heart.
      Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
      A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I for one enjoy chatting and conversing with you, so there is no need to think or feel that your posts here are not welcome. If I didn’t I would tell you. As you say I can be forthright if I choose.
        Tim Siheng, thank you, and I too enjoy conversing with you. Look forward to doing it again later, but for now wishing you all the best for another great Summer Camp. Perhaps next year I can join you all again for it.

Comment

Been talking to a few folks outside the forum on this which jogged my memory of a couple more points I wanted to make / ask:

1. On the Eagle Claw course, some years ago at the UK Summer Camp, Sifu, as best as I can remember, made a point that you choose the most appropriate art or techniques for the situation. So for the situation of a non-competition fight, with no rules ie a streetfight, you would choose an art that is meant for that ie kungfu. I hope I remember/understood this next bit and it's context correctly but he also said "In a judo competition the best techniques to use are judo, in a boxing competition the best techniques to use are boxing. That is only logical."

I posted this around the time here:

I remember at the time this cleared a bit of a blockage for me because I had tried to spar with someone where we both had gloves on, under boxing rules, but I was trying (and failing) to use kungfu, and so resorted to boxing. It sounded to me like I should have been doing this from the start then (under those conditions), or have I misunderstood?

I saw the recent sparring videos Sifu put on his website where Chris, Mario and others were sparring with boxing gloves on, but they were using kungfu so I think maybe I interpreted this wrong.

2. I narrowed down the competitions I believe no one has won using internal kungfu earlier, to UFC, K1 and professional boxing. There are tournaments in different rules, different countries etc which I am unaware of. For example, if you had asked me in 1990 could anyone use jujitsu in a no-holds-barred tournament I would have said no, even though I now believe the Gracies were doing just that in Vale Tudo in Brazil! I could of course currently be similarly ignorant about other tournaments and styles.

Comment

Bruce Lee is the Greatest (in a way but not in our way)!

Comment

Me, I'm a Jackie Chan Man.

Ciao
              Charles David Chalmers
              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
              X