Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weapons information for the Taijiquan Staff/ Sabre course in August.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons information for the Taijiquan Staff/ Sabre course in August.

Dear Wahnam Family,

As excitement is building here in Ireland for our rare chance to learn not just one, but two taijiquan weapon sets (the staff and the sabre), my Sifu has asked if I could share some information regarding the training weapons required.

Sigung very kindly shared the ideal requirements for the weapons:
    The Taiji staff should be about 6 feet long, without tapering at any end. You can have an idea of the Taiji staff at http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4...iji-staff.html . The wushu staff on sale at shops or on the internet is too flimsy. The staff should be reasonably solid. You can have it made from poles or buy it from shops or on the internet.

The Taiji sabre should be about 3 feet in length, including its handle. The blade should not be too flimsy. The same sabre can be used for Shaolin, Taijiquan or any style of kungfu. You can have a look at it at http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4...iji-sabre.html . You can also see the sabre used in Shaolin Kungfu at http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-5...ons/sabre.html and http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-5...e-knife02.html .
    I personally have ordered and received a sword from here:

It meets the specifications needed for the course, but comes without a case which can be found here:

As with the incredible Wudang Sword course, letters can be provided for airport security purposes etc.

Alternatively, please feel free to contact me via email (graspingsparrowstail@gmail.com) and I can order your sabre and/or staff for it to be collected by you upon arrival at the Shaolin Wahnam Ireland Harvest Festival.

My sincerest gratitude to Sigung for offering this rare opportunity to expand our experience in Taijiquan weapons and thank you to my Sifu for continuing to organise such a fun, challenging and rewarding festival.

WSS,
    Peter Clayton
    Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    "Though one man may conquer in battle a thousand men a thousand times over, it is he who conquers himself that is the greatest of conquerors". - Dhammapada.

Hi Peter

You can get cheap staff's that are fine for training in the local hard ware stores, they are about 1" in diameter and 8 feet long. We use them all the time. We find them better than the poles you buy.

Best wishes
    Mark

Comment

Thank you for the tip Sisook,

Dominic very kindly sourced some poles for us in much the same way. I was amazed at how hard it was to find a simple six foot staff online!

Looking forward to August

WSS,
      Peter Clayton
      Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
      "Though one man may conquer in battle a thousand men a thousand times over, it is he who conquers himself that is the greatest of conquerors". - Dhammapada.

Comment

Thanks for the info Peter Sihing. It reminded me that I wanted to have a look for a saber at a local shop here, even if I can't probably make it to Ireland this year, I will still learn the set .
        My favored one would be this one: Hanwei Ox-Tail Dao (blunt version). But a simpler one will do for now.

Happy staff and saber set learning!
        Andrea
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Very tempted

Thank you Peter for sharing this information.

I am very tempted to join you in Ireland this year. I will see how the flow will help me with this endeavour .

I am also willing and highly motivated to learn the set, which I hope to find time for in June/July. This is a very busy time for me, just before the break in the Swiss courts in August.

BTW does anyone know if this is allowed to transport a sword / staff in the suitcase?

Shaolin greetings and hope to see you in beautiful Ireland
          .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
          “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
          Hafiz

Comment

I brought back the Jian (sword) from Ireland in my luggage after the Wudang sword course and to my surprise they did not even ask a question in Ireland or in Switzerland. So you should be fine.
            Here in Switzerland you can carry a sword in a bag but only from your home to your training location and back.

For the staff, because of the length they might charge you oversize luggage, thus it might not be worth it. You can buy a suitable pole in any hardware store here for almost nothing (Do-it Coop or Migros, Baumarkt, Jumbo etc.) Typical of those poles: 2m / around 6.5 feet. But a saw should get it to 6feet / ca. 1.82m

Comment

A practical question for the Dao - does it matter which shape it has? In the videos it looks like an Ox-Tail shape or Willow-Leave shape.

It would also be interesting to learn more about the different shapes and their history. Just found this:

Source: Atkinson Collection: Swords and Knives by David J. Atkinson

Comment

Dear Peter,

Thank you for putting up the information for everybody. I really appreciate your help!

Dear Irina, it would be lovely to welcome you back to Ireland, it will be very beautiful in August and I know that Sifu's courses will be absolutely amazing.

If the staff is too much trouble to travel with, we will provide one here and send it on to you afterwards. I know it is nice to keep the weapon that you train with at the course, it makes it more special.

Thanks Mark and Andrea for your helpful suggestions. In the next few weeks and with Sifu's blessing I will begin a Q&A for the Taiji Sabre and Taiji Staff, so get your thinking caps on!!!

We look forward to welcoming our beautiful family to Killarney in August.

With love and respect,
                Joan
                Attached Files
                Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

So want to join!

Just a quick note to say I would love to come for these courses!
                  If I can arrange it with work etcetera, I am definitely inn.

:-) Smile from the heart,
                  Relinde

Comment

Dear Relinde,

It would be so nice to see you again!

This year's courses are extra special!!

With love,
                    Joan

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear family,

I noticed that the video links within the quote Peter shared are not functioning (it appears the insertion didn't bring the entire URL over), so I am adding them in full here:

Taiji Staff Set video: http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4...iji-staff.html
                      - In pictures: http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4.../pictures.html

Taiji Sabre Set video: http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4...iji-sabre.html
                      - In pictures: http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-4.../pictures.html

Happy training!

With gratitude and respect,

-Ryan

Comment

My Dear Family and Virtual Kwoon guests,

I have very awesome news!

In Sifu's kindness and generosity of heart, the Fundamentals of Tai Chi Chuan (Grasping Sparrow's Tail) and Wudang Sword is being added to the 3 day Tai Chi Chuan event.

Fundamentals of Tai Chi Chuan including Grasping Sparrow's Tail
                        Taiji Staff
                        Taiji Sabre
                        Wudang Sword

August 24th, 25th and 26th 2015.

I think many of you will want to attend this special course, especially if you missed Wudang Sword last time around, so please book your place as soon as you can to secure your place.

Booking can be made by emailing me sifujoan@gmail.com a deposit of €100.00 will hold your place on the course and this can be paid by paypal ( I will send you an invoice) or by bank transfer.

How incredible is this

Thank you Sifu for this amazing inclusion.

With deepest respect,
                        Joan
                        Attached Files

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Incredible indeed!
                          "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                          Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Three Taiji Weapons on one fantastic course.

My Dear Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

I didn't realise it until I began organising this course that the weapon course will be a rare opportunity for Tai Chi Chuan practitioners to learn weapons.

The Taiji staff and Taiji sabre are sometimes heard of but rarely seen.

It is actually difficult for Tai Chi practitioners all over the world to learn the Taiji staff and the Taiji sabre. Some Taiji practitioners may learn a sword dance, but not the Wudang Sword.

Participants will learn all the three important Tai Chi Chuan weapons in one course!

Sometimes, because Sifu is so generous, we can often take courses, he kindly offers, for granted. As if it is a 'normal' thing Taiji practitioners are offered in every school, but of course it is not.

We are very blessed and this Tai Chi Chuan course will not only be very interesting but great fun and totally awesome and of course our Shaolin Kungfu brothers and sisters are also welcome.

If you do not have a Sword for this course and would still like to take part please PM me as soon as you possibly can. Don't Think, Just Decide

Time goes by so quickly and I personally like to look back on the year on New Year's Eve and remember the brilliant, outside my comfort zone courses that I have taken with Sifu and how each one has helped me to become the very best person that I can be.

I guess I am not just speaking about the Irish courses here, but the courses Sifu kindly and generously teaches all over the world. We often say to ourselves 'Shure, I can take that next year' and then something else gets in the way and even more importantly some of the special courses are not offered again and the opportunity is lost.

I sincerely wish to thank Sifu for being so generous and kind in his teachings all over the world.

With deepest respect,
                            Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                            ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family

This is indeed a fantastic opportunity not to be missed. I had the chance to learn the Wudang Sword Set before and it is a beautiful set. And as you mentioned Joan Siguma I believe few Tai Chi Chuan practioners ever get the chance to learn the staff and the saber. I hope many will benefit.

I definitely regret not being able to join you and even if I can learn the staff and saber form, this is nothing near the amazing transmission of skills I am sure Sigung will share at the course in Ireland.

So if you are able to attend, don't hesitate, go for it .

Andrea

Comment

Working...
                              X