Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 Questions on the famous and legendary Seven-Star Set (七星拳)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 Questions on the famous and legendary Seven-Star Set (七星拳)

Dear all,

As part of the legacy of Sigung Ho Fatt Nam courses in Switzerland Sifu offered to teach the incredible Seven-Star Set (七星拳). I am pleased to announce that Sifu also offered another Q/A series on this so secretively kept mysterious Seven-Star Set (七星拳).! Enjoy to ask relevant questions!

All the best to everyone,
    "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
    Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Originally posted by Luo Lang View Post
    As part of the legacy of Sigung Ho Fatt Nam courses in Switzerland Sifu offered to teach the incredible Seven-Star Set (七星拳).
    Switzerland is indeed very lucky this year. I am looking forward to reading all of the questions -- and even more so to Sifu's answers!
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

wonderfullllll

wonderful swiss familiy !!
      I am really happy and lucky to be so close to this course
      great

Originally posted by Luo Lang View Post
      Dear all,

As part of the legacy of Sigung Ho Fatt Nam courses in Switzerland Sifu offered to teach the incredible Seven-Star Set (七星拳). I am pleased to announce that Sifu also offered another Q/A series on this so secretively kept mysterious Seven-Star Set (七星拳).! Enjoy to ask relevant questions!

All the best to everyone,

Comment

Sifu,

Can you tell us of some famous practitioners of the Seven-Star Set, and possibly some stories on how the set was developed and used in the past?

Gratefully,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Considering the story of how Sigung Ho learned the Seven Star Set, is there something special about the origins or character of the set that made it suited to a master of the Art of Lightness and his family?

Sincerely,

Mark Blohm
          少林華南台灣 Shaolin Wahnam Taiwan

Facebook

"Then how could chi kung overcome diseases where the cause is unknown or when there is no cure? The question is actually incorrect. The expressions "the cause is unknown" and "there is no cure" are applicable only in the Western medical paradigm. The expressions no longer hold true in the chi kung paradigm. In the chi kung paradigm the cause is known, and there is a cure."

-Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Cool

Thanks Sihing Roland for enabling this series

Dear Sifu,

I have learned a version of the Seven Star Set before in the past while visiting Yunnan province of China (learned provisionally, rather than learned adequately!)

One aspect of the Set was noticeable at the time:
            - it seems suitable for a smaller and weaker opponent (such as a female) versus a larger and stronger opponent.

One aspect of the Set seems noticeable with the benefit of hindsight:
            - the footwork and Seven Star stance seem particularly useful for countering wrestling shoots and throws.

Please can you confirm or correct these observations, and discuss these aspects of the Set if applicable.

With Thanks,

Shaolin Salute!
            Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
            Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
            Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
            - ancient wisdom

Comment

Than you :-)

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

What a great opportunity for learning more about this Set! Thank you Sifu one more time for your tremendous generosity and to Roland Siheng for starting another amazing thread. :-)

Dear Sifu:

In your autobiography you mention that the Seven-Star Set "is excellent against Muay Thai". May I kindly ask why?

You also mentioned that "the Seven-Star Set is excellent for the small-sized against bigger, stronger opponents". May you explain how this set would overcome bigger and stronger opponents in comparison with Taijiquan?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Dear Sifu,

(Only if this question has not been answered / asked already)

I noticed a couple of people mention that Seven Stars set is good for a small sized person (something which always catches my eye!) which means I can't resist asking the question I was thinking of asking earlier. When I heard "Seven Star Set" my first thought was "Is this related to Seven Star Praying Mantis?" and especially given it is being taught in Switzerland, our cradle of Praying Mantis Kungfu! But I thought others would probably already know this, and from reading what others said I figured it was probably something completely separate. However knowing that Praying Mantis was known as being good for small people, and hearing now that Seven Star is as well, I do want to know if they are related?

And I would ask a related part of the question which is, if all things were equal, ie same time spent in stance training and combat application, same force developed, which would be the best combat art for small people to practise, or even what would be the top 3 in order?

Thank you.

Comment

Thank you, Roland Siheng, for opening this thread!

And thank you to Sifu for revealing another rare set to us!

My question is:

How would Sifu describe the force generated and used by the Seven-Star Set?
                  Is it neccessary to practice other force training methods separately? If so, which are the best choices to supplement this set?

Best wishes,

Leo
                  Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thanks to Sigung and my Sifu for enabling this series

Dear Sigung,

I recognized that the most strikes from the Seven-Star Set comes from the center. For me it seems to be a very advanced Kungfu-Set (like Wuzuquan and Xingqiquan Kungfu) because it needs good force to make the strikes powerful from the center. But interesingly Sitaigung Ho Fatt Nam learned this advanced set when has been a Kungfu beginner. Did he realize quite fast that the Seven-Star Set is an advanced art?

The Seven-Star Set seems to have many tactics and strategies. But why doesn’t have the set any Dragon-Ride Stance, like in Flower-Set, to attack a stronger opponent from the side?

Sigung, can you please tell us more about my perception and questions?
                    Thank you from the heart.

Best wishes

Roger

Comment

Dear Sigung

Both Tai Chi Chuan as well as the Seven Star Set are said to be excellent choices if a physically weaker or smaller person wants to overcome a stronger opponent.
                      Looking at the Seven Star Set video I get the impression that they both use different strategies to achieve this.

What are their differences and/or similarities in terms of strategy to overcome a stronger opponent?

And related to this: What benefits will our Tai Chi Chuan practioners get from learning and practicing the Seven Star Set?

Thank you
                      Andrea
                      Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                      Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Dear all,

Those are very nice questions indeed. As Andrea pointed out it may be interesting to hear some more questions of the Tai Chi Chuan brothers and sisters.

First off we should realize that the Seven-Star Set is a legacy of Sigung Ho Fatt Nam. In fact it was Sigung who lead Sifu to the realization to perform patterns or sequences or sets in a flowing manner. It's ironical that a Kungfu master points out the essence of Tai Chi Chuan. I must say even though I am a hard core Shaolin at heart, this principle has helped me to a deeper understanding of all my Kungfu. In fact I think it's a milestone in our whole development as a Kungfu school.

Furthermore for those who haven't read my posts on another thread, the Seven-Star Set is packed with incredible counters how soft overcomes the hard. Even more interesting is, that the Seven-Star Set as Sifu confirmed is a style which contents for its own reasons a lot of the Dragon.

Keep some more questions coming!

All the best for everyone,

Roland

Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Dear Sigung,

what is the difference between the Seven Star, the Dragon Strength, the Wudang and the Dragon Set?

With kindest regards,
                          Anton.
                          Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                          Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                          http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                          http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                          http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Last question on the Seven-Star Set

The last questions come from my student Jan:

Dear Sigung,
                            The Seven-Star Set is suitable for smaller opponents. What benefits would a taller guy like I am one get from learning it?

Then in one of your Q/A series I read about Sitaigung Ho Fatt Nam teaching anothet Set to one of the Sultans of Malaysia as part of his training. How and in which sense can the training of a Kungfu Set be regarded as a form of high level Chi Kung?

Thank you Sigung for answering our questions!

Comment

We have reached now our 10 questions and happily wait for Sifu's answers!

Best regards,

Roland

Comment

Working...
                              X