Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no worries
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 1-Part 1

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 1-Part 1:

Question 1

In which way/s has Cosmic Breathing contributed to your attainments and development in the 3 hallmarks of Shaolin Kungfu -- combat efficiency, internal force and spiritual cultivation?

Santiago

Answer

Cosmic Breathing is a very advanced art. Most kungfu practitioners, even masters, do not have an opportunity to learn it. It is simply ridiculous that students in our school have a chance to learn Cosmic Breathing – and in an unbelievably short time!

One great advantage of Cosmic Breathing is that it contributes to all the three important dimensions of kungfu training, namely combat efficiency which is the primary aim of practicing any martial art, internal force which gives us good health, vitality, longevity as well as peak performance in daily life besides enhancing combat efficiency, and spiritual cultivation which ranges from being peaceful and happy to expanding into the Cosmos and returning to God the Holy Spirit or whatever term one calls the most the most noble and supreme achievement according to his own culture.

We in Shaolin Wahnam do not merely mention these noble aspirations but actually attain them according to our needs and developmental stage, except the most supreme achievement where the supreme being merges with the Cosmos and leave the phenomenal world. It is simply ridiculous that we can attain all these achievements that is primary concerned with teaching kungfu and chi kung.

This incredible opportunity is even more ridiculous when we are aware that most martial art schools today do not even attain the most basic aim of self-defence, and most chi kung schools today do not even attain the most basic aim of good health. Of course, the mentioning of this fact is not to belittle others or glamorize ourselves. What other choose to believe and practice is their right, and none of our business. But it is worthwhile to remind our students, who have the good karma to learn from us, about this unbelievable opportunity.

It is also worthwhile, as it provides inspiration and guidance, how Cosmic Breathing has contributed to my own attainment and development in the three hallmarks of Shaolin Kungfu or any great kungfu, namely combat efficiency, internal force and spiritual cultivation.

To many people the obvious requirement for combat efficiency is to know the techniques for overcoming various combat situations. If an opponent gives us a kick or attempts to throw us onto the ground, for example, we must know how to counter his attack.

What many people may not realize is the necessary skills to apply these techniques effectively. All those who have practiced kungfu for some time would have learnt the techniques to overcome combat situations, though many students may not know the application and even some masters may not be able to apply them effectively!

Again, it may be necessary to emphasize that this statement is made in good faith, and is certainly not intended as a slight to these students and some masters. It is a fact today that many students practice kungfu techniques for demonstration and if they have to spar they would use Kick-Boxing and still receive a lot of blows. It is also a fact that some masters may be at a loss when Taekwondo exponents execute some kicks on them, or wrestlers attempt to shoot them onto the ground.

Many students may not know the application of the necessary techniques, but the masters know it as they can demonstrate their application with cooperative students. But they lack the skills to apply the techniques effectively in real combat.

The three main skills for effective combat are picture-perfect form, sufficient force and reasonable speed. More crucial than these main skills, though many people may not realize it, are calmness, mental clarity, spontaneous response, and real fighting experience.

The main skills are basic. Even when a person is calm and mentally clear, can react spontaneously and has fought frequently, but if he does not know the correct technique against a particular attack, or lack force and speed, he will not be able to counter the attack. On the other hand, even when he has the basic skills the factor that eventually decides victory is often the crucial skills, like being calm and mentally clear, responding spontaneously and having fighting experience.

As our school is noted for transference of learning, how can this understanding enrich our daily life? One example is as follows. You may be an expert in computer science. How well you make use of this basic skill is how successfully you convince your employer or your clients to purchase your service at a price you want. On the other hand, no matter how good you are in the crucial skills of marketing and convincing, if you don't have the basic skill of computer science, you have nothing to sell to your employer or clients.

(Part 2 follows)
      "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
      Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 1-Part 2

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 1-Part 2:

Cosmic Breathing is excellent in enhancing both the basic skills and crucial skills for combat.

If one is panting for breath, he would be unable to attain picture-perfect form. When I perform Cosmic Breathing, panting for breath becomes irrelevant! I won’t be panting for breath because I don’t have to breathe like ordinary people do, i.e. breathing in and out air, which contains energy, through the nose and mouth. Energy just flows in and out through my body without the need for normal breathing!

Cosmic Breathing provides me with tremendous internal force for combat. Internal force is consolidated from the energy derived from Cosmic Breathing, and exploded out in suitable patterns for combat.

I am also able to attain lightning speed in combat. Lightning speed is attained by using flowing energy, and not by using muscles. Not only it can be very fast, I don’t become tired as no muscular tension is used. This flowing energy which gives me lightning speed is derived from Cosmic Breathing.

Besides contributing to my attainment of basic skills in picture-perfect form, tremendous internal force and lightning speed, Cosmic Breathing also contribute to my crucial skills of being calm and mentally clear, responding spontaneously and enhancing my fighting experience.

To perform Cosmic Breathing, one must be deep in a chi kung state of mind. Being in a chi kung state of mind, even at an elementary level, enables a person to be calm and have mental clarity. But Cosmic Breathing requires not just an elementary level of chi kung state of mind, but a deep one. Hence the attainment of calmness and mental clarity is tremendous.

When one performs Cosmic Breathing, he literally pulsates with the Cosmos. First he performs at an energy level, then he enters into a deep mind level. At the mind level, his movement can be at the speed of thought. Hence, his responses are tremendously fast.

For most martial artists, when they see an attack coming, they first conceptualize their counter, and then set their body and limbs to work on it.. Their movement may be fast, but it is still at the physical level. For me, as soon as I see an attack, often I can sense it before an opponent starts his physical movement, I just think of a response, and it is enacted instantly! The respond is at the mind level, though manifested physically.

Others reading this description may think it is a myth. But our students who have been exposed to our teaching will understand that I speak from experience.

I had much combat experience in my younger days, sparring and actual fighting with kungfu practitioners, other martial artists as well as masters. At that time I had not practiced Cosmic Shower yet. I operated mainly at a physical level.

Since practing Cosmic Breathing, I found my combat efficiency improved tremendous, though I sparred more with our family members than with people outside our school. Cosmic Breathing enabled me to progress from a physical level to an energy level, then to a mind level.

Some instructors confessed to me that they could not keep up with my kungfu progress. I told them honestly that they could because they attained in one month what it took me one year. But in reality there was a noticeable gap between their attainment and mine. I attributed it to the time of training. I had been training diligently for 69 years whereas they had spent less time in their training.

Answering this question highlights another reason for this attainment gap. As instructors caught up to the stage where I previously was, in less time than I took, I progressed to a new stage. And my progress was exponential. In other words, my progress in my recent 5 years was more than my progress in the previous 30 years. Moreover, my rate of progress was more than that of most instructors.

Does this mean that a student will never catch up with me? This is looking at the issue from a negative perspective. A Shaolin Wahnam perspective is the fact that a student can now attain in one year what it took me ten years. Another Shaolin Wahnam perspective is that our students will derive benefits in a relatively shot time what most other people may not have irrespective of how long they may train.

(Part 3 follows)

Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Question/Answer 1-Part 3

Question/Answer 1-Part 3:

(Continued from Part 2)

A helpful way to illustrate this exponential progress is to examine my kungfu development, which may be divided into three main stages, namely a student’s stage, a master’s stage and a supreme stage. They roughly correspond to my operation of kungfu at a physical level, an energy level and a mind level.

When I was learning kungfu from Uncle Righteousness and Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, I sought out kungfu practitioners and martial artists of other styles for sparring. I was also involved in a few real fights. I managed to remain undefeated, but this was due not to my combat efficiency but to hard work in knowing my opponents and preparing myself for the fight, and my scholar-warrior’s strategy of not entering a fight hoping to win but entering a fight to secure victory.

At this time I operated at a physical level. If an opponent executed a side kick, for example, I would trapped his kicking leg using my double tiger-claw in a pattern known as “Two Tigers Subdue Dragon?. If an opponent executed a round-hous kick, followed by a reverse roundhouse kick, I would lean back my body in a pattern called “Tame Tiger with String of Beads” to avoid his first kick, and move to his back to strike him using the pattern “Double Dragons Cross Step” as he executed his second kick. I defeated my opponents using appropriate physical techniques. I called this the student’s stage.

By the time I started teaching at Shaolin Wahnam Association, the fore-runner of our school, Shaolin Wahnam Institute, I had learned a great variety of combat applications from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam which I could effectively applied for any combat situation. But more significantly I had developed substantial internal force from the internal training of Sifu Ho Fatt Nam.

In combat I progressed from sparring with students to sparring with masters. With my knowledge of combat application, I could handle attacks from these masters, but looking hack with hindsight, I believe it was my internal force that defeated them. When an opponent executed a low punch, for example, I gripped his arm using the pattern “Second Auntie Catches Crab”, with my internal force penetrating into his vital points. His arm became numb, and even if he knew the counter, he was unable to do so. I called this the master’s stage.

My kungfu performance, including combat with other people, at the student’s stage and the master’s stage was before my training of Cosmic Breathing. Cosmic Breathing improved my kungfu development from the master’s stage to the supreme stage, where the mind, not just the physical or the energy, is the main factor.

This noticeable development, though gradual in its transition, occurred in the last ten years when my understanding of kungfu philosophy and advanced methods like Cosmic Breathing had tremendously improved my combat efficiency, internal force and spiritual cultivation.

I call this development the supreme stage. In combat, my mind has expanded to a level where I can sense an opponent’s intentions and frustrate him even before he can make any moves. I still need the physical techniques of the student’s stage, and the internal force of the master’s stage, but it is mind that constitutes the decisive factor in victory. Cosmic Breathing contributed much in this direction.

Interestingly, my combat efficiency improves in reverse proportion to my keenness in combat. I was most keen to engage in sparring when I was at the student’s level. At the master’s level, I engaged in combat when situations were cordial. At the supreme level, I would avoid combat as best as possible – and so far I have been successful. I remember years ago reading a comment that in genuine kungfu training, one would avoid fighting the more combat efficient he becomes. I did not expect at that time I would experience this development myself.

This development, of course, does not negate the value of Cosmic Breathing even just for combat efficiency. The contribution of Cosmic Breathing to combat efficiency not only makes our kungfu training meaningful, it gives us courage and confidence in daily living. But it is in the other two hallmarks of any great kungfu, namely internal force and spiritual cultivation, that the contribution of Cosmic Breathing has its greatest value irrespective of whether one is at a student’s, a master’s or a supreme stage.

For me the attainment of internal force has enabled me to have better health and vitality and better performance in daily activities than many people half my age, and the attainment of spiritual cultivation has enabled me to be peaceful and happy every day. Much of these attainments come from Cosmic Breathing.

<End>

Comment

Wonderful thank you.

Best wishes
            Mark

Comment

Thank you :-)

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for this beautiful and inspiring answer. Being able to understand the philosophy that accompanies all the arts that you teach is incredibly helpful and meaningful and really helps me to progress in a safe way.

Thank you for your generosity.

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Cosmic Breathing

Thank you Siheng Roland for the thread.
                And thank you Sifu for the answer. It was very inspiring.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland
                Instructor
                nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 2:

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 2:

Question 2

Is it beneficial to train yourself to use cosmic breathing informally as a breathing mode at any time or place?

What if the environment is negative, for example in a sewer at midday? Would you take in more negative energy or would it protect you?

Jas

Answer

Yes, generally it is beneficial to train oneself to use cosmic breathing informally as a breathing mode in daily life. However, if the environment or timing is negative, he may take in negative energy unless he protects himself against it.

Please note that here “cosmic breathing”, with small letters “c” and “b”, refers to the ability to have energy passing in and out of a practitioner without the need of breathing in air through the nose and breathing out air through the mouth or nose. “Cosmic Breathing”, with capital letters “C” and “B”, refers to the special method, which includes techniques and skills like the one we practice in our school, to acquire this ability.

Advanced yogis have this ability of cosmic breathing, though their training method may be different from ours. They could be buried underground for a few days, yet they were still alive and kicking when they were unearthed. They did not need to breath with their nose and mouth. They could live though buried underground because they energy, which is necessary for life, continued to be exchanged between them and the Cosmos.

Kungfu students who attended my intensive kungfu courses also have this ability, though some of them had not attended my Cosmic Breathing course. Because of this ability they could spar for many hours without panting for breadth. Panting for breadth became irrelevant to them because they did not have to breathe in and out through their nose and mouth. Energy just exchanged between them and the Cosmos while they were engaged in sparring.

Many of them may not realize they were not breathing in the modern sense of the term where air is breathed in through the nose and out through the mouth, but they were breathing in the classic sense of energy exchange. In Chinese, which is “hu xi” in Mandarin or “fu kap” in Cantonese, the classic meaning of breathing was an exchange of energy, and not an exchange of air. Various breathing methods were practiced in Chinese chi kung long before air was discovered in the West.

Many chi kung masters today may not realize this fact. Hence some of them talk, erroneously, of abdominal breathing and reverse breathing as diaphragm breathing and chest breathing. Abdominal breathing and reverse breathing involve energy, whereas diaphragm breathing and chest breathing involve air.

How did some kungfu practitioners at my intensive kungfuc courses develop cosmic breathing if they had not attended Cosmic Breathing courses with me? They developed the ability without their conscious knowing from various exercises during the intensive courses

Our method of Cosmic Breathing was also developed by me spontaneously, at first without my conscious knowing. Through years of practicing the method of Abdominal Breathing, my ability of abdominal breathing gradually became cosmic breathing. Because of my philosophical understanding and teaching experience, I can now teach students to attain the ability of cosmic breathing in a Cosmic Breathing course in just a few hours although I myself took many years to attain the ability.

There are, of course, many other wonderful benefits of the ability of cosmic breathing from a Cosmic Breathing course, besides being able to spar for a few hours without panting for breath. In a nutshell, cosmic breathing enable us to attain peak performance in both our physical and mental activities. In spiritual cultivation, cosmic breathing enables us to merge with the Cosmos, or to have a glimpse of it as we return to our phenomenal world.

However, if the environment is negative, like at a sewer or in midday, the negative energy may flow into the body of a cosmic breathing practitioner if he has not protected himself against this adverse effect. The protection is quite easy if one knows how to do it. Our chi kung healers give themselves and others around them this protection when they treat patients suffering from serious diseases, like cancer. I can transmit this protection skill during the Cosmic Breathing course. Those attending the course, please remind me in case I forget.

In theory a cosmic breathing exponent who also knows the Small Universe can protect himself and activate his Small Universe so that his energy will recycle inside his own body without being affected by the negative energy outside. But in practice this is not necessary. All he needs to do is to move to another place where the outside energy is good.

Similarly, in theory a great chi kung master can create water from the air. In practice this is a very unwise use of his mind power. All he needs to do is to turn on a tap.

<End>

Comment

A skill to protect Healers

What a wonderful offer from Sifu indeed:

I can transmit this protection skill during the Cosmic Breathing course.

Comment

Thank you Sifu, your wisdom brings much benefit to me and I'm sure to all.

Thanks Roland for organizing the courses and series.

Best,

Jas

Comment

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 3

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 3:

Question 3

Please could you discuss the similarities and differences between Cosmic Breathing and the Transcendental Big Universe?

Mathew

Answer

Cosmic Breathing and Transcendental Big Universe are different arts. Both of them are very advanced.

In Cosmic Breathing, practitioners breathe in and out cosmic energy, without having to breathe in and out air through the nose and mouth. They literally pulsate with the Cosmos.

In Transcendental Big Universe, the personal energy of practitioners merges with the universal energy of the Cosmos. As we return to our phenomenal world, we call this supreme experience a satori, or a spiritual awakening, where we have a glimpse of Cosmic Realtiy.

We often use Cosmic Breathing as a means to attain Transcendental Big Universe. Herein lies its similarity, though they are different.

Yet, when we pulsate with the Cosmos in Cosmic Breathing, and forget about ourselves or discover that we have no form, our Cosmic Breathing has become Transcendental Big Universe.

When we pulsate with the Cosmos but are aware of our body or form, we are performing Cosmic Breathing and not yet in Transcendental Big Universe. If we are aware that our energy is flowing through all out 12 primary meridians, we are in Phenomenal Big Universe, as we are still in the phenomenal world and in Chinese medical terms when energy is flowing smoothly through all the 12 primary meridians, it is called the Big Universe.

In Transcendental Big Universe, there is no form, no differentiation. All is one, or nothing. Depending on whether there is differentiation or any form, Cosmic Breathing can be phenomenal or transcendental. Herein lies their similarities and differences.

Very roughly we may call Cosmic Breathing the technique, and Transcendental Big Universe the skill. This description is not accurate because both Cosmic Breathing and Transcendental Big Universe are also skills as well as attainments.

Instead of being a means, which may be described as a technique or a skill, Cosmic Breathing can also be an end by itself, which may be described as an attainment. We may use the technique and skill of Abdominal Breathing, or of Reverse Breathing to attain the result or benefit of Cosmic Breathing.

On the other hand, Transcendental Big Universe is not a technique. It is an end, or a result, or an attainment. In theory practitioners can use any technique to attain Transcendental Big Universe, but in practice most of them use sitting meditation. But they do not have good result. Many of them do not know why they practice sitting meditation, nor do they realize that sitting in a lotus position is just a technique.

We are elite, we use Cosmic Breathing to realize Transcendental Big Universe, and achieve very good result.

<End>

Comment

Wow!
                          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                          - ancient wisdom

Comment

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 4 -- Part 1

Cosmic Breathing: Question-Answer 4 -- Part 1:

Question 4

Is Cosmic Breathing used primarily to fulfill spiritual aspirations and expand into the Cosmos?

When one expands into the Cosmos and returns back to the Dan Tian, does the practitioner gain even more energy from spending time in the Cosmos? Personally, I feel that after I merge with the energy of the Cosmos, I pull extra cosmic energy back to my Dan Tian on the return.

What are the benefits of Cosmic Breathing for everyday life in the mundane world?

Stephen

Answer

Yes, Cosmic Breathing is primarily used to fulfill spiritual aspirations and expand into the Cosmos. The Cosmic Breathing we practice was inspired from a very advanced internal art exercise I read from som Taoist classics called Opening of the Golden Glower.

In this very advanced art, a Taoist aspirant sat in a lotus position, go into mediation, and exchanged energy with the Cosmos. The cosmic energy was built into a ball and stored at the abdominal dan tian, the qi-hai energy point. Some classics started with the lowest dan tian, the hui-ying energy point.

At the abdominal dan tian, the aspirant infused his spirit into the ball of energy. He called it his divine foetus. Gradually he brought his divine foetus up to his middle dan tian at the huang-ding energy point, and eventually at the top dan tian at the bai-hui energy point at the crown of his head. By then which would take many years, he had infused his spirit into the ball of energy. His bai-hui opened and his divine person with his spirit emerges and roams the heavens as an immortal, discarding his physical body behind.

Needless to say, the brief description of this Opening of Golden Flower is for theoretical knowledge. One should not attempt it without the supervision of a competent master.

Our Cosmic Breathing is of a lower level than Opening of the Golden Flower. We do not intend to use Cosmic Breathing to become an immortal. Yet, Cosmic Breathing has the potential to attain an even higher level than Opening of the Golden Flower. An immortal is still in the phenomenal realm. Totally merging with the Cosmos, which Cosmic Breathing may lead us to attain when we are ready, is transcendental.

When we expand into the Cosmos and return to the phenomenal world by focusing at his dan tian, we gain more energy from spending time in the Cosmos. I don’t know how or why we gain energy, but I know from experience that we do.

Although I may not know for sure why or how we gain energy, I can make a guess – not a wild guess, but a guess based on understanding and experience. In fact, this was how the philosophy or chi kung, kungfu or any art was developed. A lot of experience happened, then masters looked back at their experience and explained what happened. Their explanation constituted the philosophy of the art.

For example, past masters discovered that when they were tensed they could not tap energy from the Cosmos. After a lot of such experiences, they concluded that one had to be relaxed to tap energy from the Cosmos. The also discovered that even when they were relaxed but if their mind wandered about, they also could not tap energy from the Cosmos. After a lot of such experiences, they explained that in order to tap energy from the Cosmos, a practitioner needed to be focused and relaxed. Now we call this requirement entering into a chi kung state of mind.

When we returned to our phenomenal world after expanding into the Cosmos, we felt we had more energy. This happened to us not once or twice but all the time. This also happened to those who successfully expanded into the Cosmos and returned to the phenomenal world. Therefore, we can conclude that when we return to our phenomenal world after expanding into the Cosmos, we have more energy.

(Part 2 follows)

Comment

Marvelous

What a wonderful way to start the week isn't it?

Comment

Astounding and great cliffhanger too!

Thank you Sigung.

Comment

Working...
                                X