Wing Chun grappling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Leo,

You are right, I used the basic pattern Tan Sau (Mirror Hand) from Siu Lin Tou as my defence. I have practiced the same pattern thousands of times and it has become a favourite. Not because it is basic, but because it is so effective against so many attacks. It is also a safe pattern for both beginner and advanced person to use. It does not require strength and therefore size does not matter.

On a different thread to this one, we can look at what patterns we use against what and show videos of what we use.
    Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
    A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

The cut, the music, the explanation and the technique = awesome job!!
      Thanks for the very comprehensive video!!
      Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
      Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
      http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
      http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
      http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
        It's very easy to see the differences between our two styles. They know yours and all they have to do is watch one of my videos..it's that simple.

BTW I have nothing to hide.That is way I make videos,but I do so for the wright reason..
        Safety is paramount in martial arts.

If we see a deficiency in your safety, we are duty bound to point it out. The alternative is to endanger practitioners.

You can either recognise that deficiency, or alternatively if you believe there is no deficiency then you should show us where you think we are erring.

Or you can entirely back out of your agreement to meet. The choice is indeed yours.

But thanks for providing this opportunity for Sifu Tim Franklin's excellent video demonstrating proper safety principles to be made.
        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
        Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
        - ancient wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
          It's not about making you look bad, as you suggest. We are happy for you to look as good as you want. We would like you to look better. (Does that sound bad?)
          I thought that this was an interesting point from Charles, and I hope that it is taken in the spirit I believe it was meant by Sifu Michael.

I only speak for myself on this, but I believe many others in our school would agree: I love kungfu. Not just our kungfu but other styles of kungfu. I want to see kungfu spread, thrive and prosper.

On this forum you will see recently we praised videos showing other schools and masters practising Praying Mantis, ones who are not affiliated with us at all.

We have Sifu Pavel of a separate Hoong Ka school, I think we have discussions, maybe even some disagreements about approach with him (only from memory) but it seems to me we respect him and his lineage and want to see it continue to do well.

I and many others in our school including Sifu himself have practised different arts with different masters. This can be very rewarding. You get to feel someone else's force, and compare it to your own, to other students, to other masters. You might see a technique that you think is good and you can use it or something similar from your own repertoire. Most interestingly to me, you might even see a technique that is quite different to ones you have used, but all of a sudden it makes something click in your mind as to how one of your own techniques is supposed to work! This has happened me a couple of times.

But I do not think any of us want other schools of kungfu, other instructors, or other masters to look bad. Rather it is exhilarating to me when I see other kungfu practitioners who look good! If I ever saw a kungfu person from another school demonstrate a video of kungfu working successfully at full speed and full force against a genuine non compliant boxer for example, I would think "Brilliant! Maybe I could do that if I practised that move more, trained as hard as him, did as much stance training as him" etc, rather than be jealous I would be inspired!

Comment

My humble opinion

No body likes to hear that what he trained for so many years, still trains and on what he/she truly believes doesn't work, is mediocre or bad.
            In my humble opinion it is not our duty to tell anybody whether they are wrong or not. Specially if in doing so we know we can offend the people. On the other hand I can understand the argument of clarifying such techniques according to our martial art paradigma in order to protect the students - I am talking here as Shaolin Wahnam member, even if I am not an instructor -. However I would be more concerned in making friendship with a fellow martial artist than in pointing out the aspects in which I think he/she is doing his/her art wrongly. - That sends to the Shaolin Wahnam Students a message of the gentleman behavior that distinguishes the Shaolin Wahnam family member -

My recommendation to find a balance between the idea of protecting the students - which is of course a duty of the Sifus - and being cordial and considerate with our guests feelings - our duty as friendly hosts - is putting in the rules of the forum or where more correspond an explanation making clear that we in Shaolin Wahnam have a very precise points of view of what martial art is and we recommend our students to follow them in order to get the benefits our style gives. And also that any video or instruction from our guests should NOT be considered a part of our teachings, i.e. our students shouldn't... (here can the instructors elaborate what they considere better and accurate to express this idea).

Such kind of text could be repost in any threat at any time when a Sifu thinks it's proper to do so. Then further discussions about the videos wouldn't be necessary anymore and we can maybe avoid that a guest in our forum feels himself offended by any comment.

As I am not an english native speaker it is really difficult for me to elaborate further (to write this text took me already a couple of hours ) . But I think I explained my point At the end it is also nice to make new friends through the passion all of us share: Kung Fu.

With a big smile from the heart
            Davy
            Last edited by Davy; 14 January 2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Dave,

It’s good to be humble!

I appreciate that it is not always easy when English is not your first language, so I hope I understand you correctly.

I agree that it is better to make friends than enemies, and we try to make friends in this school, regardless of what country or style they come from. However, sometimes people don’t help themselves.

We are not saying people are wrong or bad, just like I would’t tell my child that he is bad or is wrong. Instead we/I point out that their action or decision is not correct or is a poor choice. This is what we have clearly done with Sifu Michael. I am sure as a person Sifu Michael is very nice and he is doing his best to practice and spread the style he practices. However this does not negate the fact that his choice of patterns in the video were of poor choice, in our opinion, for the reasons we pointed out. It is then to the benefit of our students to see the differences so they do not purposely put themselves in harms way.

This is not meant to belittle anyone, but if they take offence to our comments because they are not able to see and accept what we are pointing out then that is their issue, not ours. We cannot save everyone from a comment being taken in the wrong way or save face all of the time. We try to be courteous, but sometimes a more direct approach is required.

We are here to teach how genuine Shaolin Kung Fu and Taijiquan can be used effectively in combat. We are entitled to disagree with someone else who steps into our virtual Kwoon to demonstrate something. If someone walks into a class I am teaching and politely offers to show me something from their style, and I can see blatant weaknesses in the choice of technique that puts them in danger I have two choices;

1. Smile politely and say very good, carry on!
              2. Point out why I believe the technique is a poor choice and offer an alternative

It is up to that person to be arrogant enough to believe that they have nothing to learn, or open hearted enough to accept my teaching. Why else walk into my Kwoon to try and show me something. If they are not open to discussion then they are either there to try and embarrass me or to try and sell their style to my students in a hope that they will come and learn from them. I would be doing my students a great disservice if I had not pointed out the weakness of the patterns chosen. Remember, this forum is a virtual Kwoon, not just a place for visitors to flaunt their stuff. They should expect us to comment and they should expect us to accept a challenge.
              Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
              A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Friendly Chi Sao Exchange

I thought I share this video that was recently recorded in Chinatown NYC. A friendly exchange of chi sao and kung fu with another sifu from the William Chueng lineage of Wing Chun. A very nice man and a pressure to meet him and exchange knowledge.

I just wanted to show that I'm not worried about being video taped in public if done under the right conditions. I had just met this Sifu only a few minutes prior to it being video taped. I was teaching a few of my students and Sifu Mark wanted to touch hands. I agreed..

Comment

Sifu Michael,

Frankly, we don't care whether you're worried about being videotaped in public. That is not the issue.

The issue is that you agreed to a demonstration with our instructors, videotaped to show what happened. But you backed out. Then you said you would not be returning to our forum.

Don't worry about backing out. If you check our forum, you will find that all those who challenged us also backed out. We were and are quite happy that they and you back out. Challenges are time and energy consuming, and we can spend the time and energy doing more pleasant things. But be assured that we don't take up any challenges unless we are certain of winning.

We don’t want to waste any more time with you. We sincerely wish you the best in all your endeavors.

Yours,

Charles
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Thanks for the answer

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                    Hi Dave,

It’s good to be humble!

I appreciate that it is not always easy when English is not your first language, so I hope I understand you correctly.

I agree that it is better to make friends than enemies, and we try to make friends in this school, regardless of what country or style they come from. However, sometimes people don’t help themselves.

We are not saying people are wrong or bad, just like I would’t tell my child that he is bad or is wrong. Instead we/I point out that their action or decision is not correct or is a poor choice. This is what we have clearly done with Sifu Michael. I am sure as a person Sifu Michael is very nice and he is doing his best to practice and spread the style he practices. However this does not negate the fact that his choice of patterns in the video were of poor choice, in our opinion, for the reasons we pointed out. It is then to the benefit of our students to see the differences so they do not purposely put themselves in harms way.

This is not meant to belittle anyone, but if they take offence to our comments because they are not able to see and accept what we are pointing out then that is their issue, not ours. We cannot save everyone from a comment being taken in the wrong way or save face all of the time. We try to be courteous, but sometimes a more direct approach is required.

We are here to teach how genuine Shaolin Kung Fu and Taijiquan can be used effectively in combat. We are entitled to disagree with someone else who steps into our virtual Kwoon to demonstrate something. If someone walks into a class I am teaching and politely offers to show me something from their style, and I can see blatant weaknesses in the choice of technique that puts them in danger I have two choices;

1. Smile politely and say very good, carry on!
                    2. Point out why I believe the technique is a poor choice and offer an alternative

It is up to that person to be arrogant enough to believe that they have nothing to learn, or open hearted enough to accept my teaching. Why else walk into my Kwoon to try and show me something. If they are not open to discussion then they are either there to try and embarrass me or to try and sell their style to my students in a hope that they will come and learn from them. I would be doing my students a great disservice if I had not pointed out the weakness of the patterns chosen. Remember, this forum is a virtual Kwoon, not just a place for visitors to flaunt their stuff. They should expect us to comment and they should expect us to accept a challenge.
                    Dear Tim Sisook, ( Am I right in calling you Sisook? Please correct me if I'm not)

Thank you for taking the time and making an effort to explain your point to me. I guess I understand your approach to that kind of situations.

With a smile from the heart
                    Davy

Comment

Missed this exchange

I missed this whole exchange till just now..I just want to express how I feel in regards to posting teaching videos on our site.

To me this situation is the same as someone coming into my class, and while i'm doing something else, teaching my students. This could be acceptable only if i know you personally,

we have made contact physically more than once, and I have invited you to do so. If not I would warn you not do that anymore, and if it continued ask you to leave.

Or as happened with me years ago in my Isshinryu school, I would be sent to test the lesson that you are attempting to teach in my school. There was actually a post for that in our

school; the black pants brown belt. There was only one of these positions and it was a great honor. I served in that capacity the entire time I was a brown belt and was expected to

cross hands anytime with anyone whenever necessary.

One time a ninjutsu exponent came to train with us and it was noticed that he was teaching our beginners, while in our school, when he was a guest and a beginner himself. He only

received one warning. The next time my Sensei gave me the nod to invite him to attack me with the flowery kicks that he was trying to impress the kids with. While demonstrating

this to our students he was leaving himself wide open and did the same with me. I punched him in the chest, hard. When he got up I bowed, he left and we never saw him again.

I would also note that we had many martial artists from many different styles come through the school, and we learned from each other in the spirit of brotherhood.

This is my school now, this is OUR school. It has been stated this board is our virtual kwoon. For people who want to teach online, I say, go start your own board.

In our school we have many black pants brown belts and we won't let infractions of this sort to pass. In the instance above we didn't need a video, it happened in front of

everyone. In this case, without the video, it becomes he said , she said. No documentation of unfolding events.

This is not to say sharing, and brotherhood among martial artists is'nt a wonderful thing. I think of Sifu Pavel as a shining example of this. I also want to note that

Sifu Michael is probably a nice guy and I wish him well. But my point is not just rather what he's teaching is safe and effective, but that he opened up a teaching section

in our Kwoon in the first place.

Shaolin Salute,

Sifu Gusty

Comment

Working...
                      X