No announcement yet.

Wing Chun grappling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firstly I'd like to thank Sifu Michael for his response and agreement to meet with an instructor of our school.

Secondly I think it is worth repeating the point that the objective of an instructor of this School meeting with Sifu Michael is not to engage in a free sparring match and it is not to instigate a challenge - it is simply to illustrate that some of the techniques Sifu Michael has posted here on the forum of our school leaves a practitioner very exposed. Consequently they are not advised from a Shaolin Wahnam perspective in any scenario because in doing it is very easy for the opponent to execute a simple strike which could be very damaging, possibly combat ending,

In Shaolin Wahnam we recognise that safety first and adequately covering oneself in combat is not a luxury. Neither is it some high level skill taught in the advanced stages of our syllabus. It is as we know one of the fundamental principles of our Kung Fu that is taught right at the start of our training and trained throughout our training.

Sifu Michael, I too would like to meet with you in person to train and to make a video based on the techniques presented in your grappling video. It would be good fun to do so. Like Drunken Boxer I too am based in Ireland but have always wanted to visit New York. Whenever I get there I hope we can meet.

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Drunken Boxer Siheng,

I think you are being falsely modest when you say you could not have some friendly demo with Sifu Michael, but since we haven't met, I will defer to your greater experience.

But when you write:

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
      Yet I'd be surprised if any of us would care so much about it that we would travel across the world to make this point!
      I think: I'd be surprised if any one of us instructors would NOT travel across the world to spread the wonderful arts of genuine, traditional Shaolin Kungfu. If picked I would gladly do so: As a monkey, I've taught more than a few people to protect their peaches, and as a junior member in our school, I've also had my share of humbling, so, I'm prepared any way! Also, I'd probably get to see a few shows in Brooklyn and Manhattan!

That being said, since we do have a number of instructors right there in the thirteen colonies who would be happy to meet with Sifu Michael, it is more practical for them to attend. Personally, I can think of several American or Canadian siblings I would love to see making a friendly kungfu video with Sifu Michael. We have stories of kungfu exchanges filled with gallantry and goodwill, fun and deep learning, and Sifu has taught us well that a meeting of masters is an occasion for celebration. In fact, one of my favorite stories involves a (very brief) match ending with a gentle tap on the jewels! The audience saw nothing of note and was most disappointed it was over so quickly. Actually, that is Kevin's original point: if you don't take care of your peaches, it will be over quickly.

Still,
      Last edited by Charles David; 11 January 2015, 11:48 PM. Reason: comma
      Charles David Chalmers
      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Wing Chun Grappling

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
        Hello sifu Angel,

As far as I know April is fine.I don't have any plans.
        Dear Sifu Micheal,

Thanks so much for your prompt reply. I am happy with the prospect of meeting with you and have some fun with our friendly exchange. As soon as I'm able to work more specific details about my trip to NYC into my schedule, I shall contact you, so to set the specifics of our meeting. Until then, may you have a wonderful day.

Best Regards,
        [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
        Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
        - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
          Firstly I'd like to thank Sifu Michael for his response and agreement to meet with an instructor of our school.

Secondly I think it is worth repeating the point that the objective of an instructor of this School meeting with Sifu Michael is not to engage in a free sparring match and it is not to instigate a challenge - it is simply to illustrate that some of the techniques Sifu Michael has posted here on the forum of our school leaves a practitioner very exposed. Consequently they are not advised from a Shaolin Wahnam perspective in any scenario because in doing it is very easy for the opponent to execute a simple strike which could be very damaging, possibly combat ending,

In Shaolin Wahnam we recognise that safety first and adequately covering oneself in combat is not a luxury. Neither is it some high level skill taught in the advanced stages of our syllabus. It is as we know one of the fundamental principles of our Kung Fu that is taught right at the start of our training and trained throughout our training.

Sifu Michael, I too would like to meet with you in person to train and to make a video based on the techniques presented in your grappling video. It would be good fun to do so. Like Drunken Boxer I too am based in Ireland but have always wanted to visit New York. Whenever I get there I hope we can meet.

All the best,

Kevin

We can meet anytime Sifu Kevin..

Comment

Hello Sifu Michael,

I believe an exchange of techniques would be very fun and beneficial for not just ourselves, but for Kung Fu as a whole.

Malaysia is a beautiful country and a meeting place of various cultures: Malay, Indian, Chinese, Southeast Asian, Indigenous Peoples like the beautiful Kadazan and Dayak people of Borneo, along with certain European roots as a result of colonial legacy. You shall find great food and cultural holidays celebrated all throughout the year joyously here. Many Kung Fu masters from China in the past also established schools here to pass down the arts, and you will find many different styles being taught.

It would be awesome if you could come to Malaysia and experience it for yourself. I too would be glad to share some exchange of techniques and then take you around to experience the delightful food here. You won't be disappointed!

Sadly, I cannot travel to the US for the time being as my visa has not been approved. However, if you ever happen to travel to beautiful Malaysia, please do let me know.

With Shaolin Salute,
            Lee Wei Joo
            http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Sifu Michael,

It looks like you're already scheduled to meet up with Angel in April, but if you do make it to Florida, I would also love to try out techniques and counters. As Chris and I are both in St. Petersburg, it can be a two for one deal.

All the best,
              Adam Bailey
              Shaolin WahNam USA

Comment

Originally posted by Adam B View Post
                Dear Sifu Michael,

It looks like you're already scheduled to meet up with Angel in April, but if you do make it to Florida, I would also love to try out techniques and counters. As Chris and I are both in St. Petersburg, it can be a two for one deal.

All the best,
                There is a change I might be going to visit some family in Sanford FL but not sure when.Its just a matter of money for me and free time.I'm not sure how far you are from Sanford.I will be there a few days.if I go I will surely post it to let you know...

Peace,

Mike

Comment

A bit late to the party, but this seems like a fun try-out.

Sifu Michael, if you ever happen to travel in northern Europe, let me know and we can test your chosen technique. I live near Helsinki, Finland.

Mine's a beautiful country, I'm sure you'd enjoy your visit.

Best wishes,
                  Markus Kahila
                  Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Markus Kahila View Post
                    A bit late to the party, but this seems like a fun try-out.

Sifu Michael, if you ever happen to travel in northern Europe, let me know and we can test your chosen technique. I live near Helsinki, Finland.

Mine's a beautiful country, I'm sure you'd enjoy your visit.

Best wishes,
                    Yes, I will

Comment

Hi Sifu Michael

I am also late to the party - amazing how quickly things can move over a weekend when I just don't look at my computer. But as I am 12 hours ahead, this should not affect you.

I live in Singapore, near (relatively speaking) fellow instructors Charles and Wei Joo, in Brunei and Malaysia respectively. If you are in South-east Asia, I will also be happy to try out the techniques. I am not a Wing Chun practitioner but hey, kungfu is kungfu, right?
                      百德以孝为先
                      Persevere in correct practice

Comment

Hi Sifu Michael

I am another latecomer and I live in Switzerland. I find it always very beneficial to meet up with other martial artists. Thus I would enjoy meeting you in person and having a little session based on the techniques presented in your grappling video.

My brothers from the US and Latin America are probably the ones you will meet first, but if you ever come to Switzerland, it would be lovely to meet you.

Best regards
                        Andrea
                        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
                        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

We actually have 6 Kung Fu Sifus in Switzerland (including Sifu Andrea, of course). Without speaking for all of them, I'm sure most of us would love to join in, too and enjoy a cup of good tea and with or without sparring based on your grappling video sequence.
                          Sifu Andrew Barnett
                          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                            Drunken Boxer Siheng,

I think you are being falsely modest when you say you could not have some friendly demo with Sifu Michael, but since we haven't met, I will defer to your greater experience.
                            I'm really not being modest, honest! If we were talking about boxing or some other topics I would not seem as modest but in kungfu and wingchun terms my level is not good, I have tried with average, even low-level, run-of-the-mill boxer / streetfighter types and I cannot, as yet, use my kungfu against them. As Winston Churchill said of someone "He is a very modest man... and indeed he has much... to be modest about!"

Oh and by the way, we sort of have met, but not properly. You and some others from Canada arrived in England at one summer camp just as the course I was on (can't remember which one, maybe Eagle Claw?) was ending and you guys took part in the last session of the course, I remember you. After that, I think people were all dashing off home or to a meal with Sifu or something, I don't remember getting a chance to meet you at the meal afterwards or anything. But you can understand now that my ability was not memorable!

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                            I think: I'd be surprised if any one of us instructors would NOT travel across the world to spread the wonderful arts of genuine, traditional Shaolin Kungfu. If picked I would gladly do so: As a monkey, I've taught more than a few people to protect their peaches, and as a junior member in our school, I've also had my share of humbling, so, I'm prepared any way! Also, I'd probably get to see a few shows in Brooklyn and Manhattan!
                            Yes of course I know people in our school have proved they are willing to travel around the world to learn and to teach, I was thinking more that most of us have certain interests and certain financial constraints, so as much as we would all love to go to every event and course, most of us have to pick and choose. I am only guessing at the next bit, though I think my guess is correct, but I think if I had the ability to show that Sifu Michael's technique in that photo left him exposed, I doubt if I would feel strongly enough about it to spend the money on flights and so forth to visit him, when I could spend that money doing courses in Malaysia with Sifu, Warrior Projects etc instead. I could be wrong on this, but if so I would be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
                              lol ok no problem lets have a Guinness drinking contest..I love Guinness.
                              Me too. As an interesting (I think) side note, you will have heard some people say that to get a good guinness you have to drink it in Ireland. Well on one of my visits to Malaysia to train with Sifu, me and a couple of kungfu brothers had been wandering around the local restaurants and bars looking for our friends, and finally we found them sitting in the lovely bar upstairs of the Bulgarian restaurant in Penang. As we walked around to take up our stools beside them, one of them said to me "Hey you should try the guinness here, it's awesome!" I said, thinking he was pulling my leg "Yeah sure, I bet it's great!" thinking he was making a joke ie how could guinness be any good in a Bulgarian bar in Malaysia, right? Then I saw he had three quarters of a pint of it in front of him and told me to try it, it was his second or third. I did and it was genuinely awesome! Ah, takes me back.

Back to the kungfu, on a more serious note, I wasn't joking when I said that I think I would struggle using wing chun against someone your size, and that I haven't yet realised anything within wing chun which makes it advantageous for a small person, as is often mooted. That includes within the types of wing chun that I have practised, but also from looking at your style, your training partners are usually a lot smaller than you, and when I watch you apply a technique on them it works, but you are tall and burly, they are small and slight, and in most cases it looks to me that if they tried it on you, it wouldn't work. What's your opinion on that, how much does physical size matter in your style?

In our style of wing chun too, I would be interested to hear any differing views from within our school too, or any counter-explanations, but the same applies. I can not think of any move where I think "That would be good for a small person versus a big person" or "That move would be better for a small person". For example I have heard people say things like "In X style, you have to deliver powerful punches, so it suits people with size, muscles or lots of internal force, whereas in Y style you can do things like poke people in the eyes, or go for their peaches instead". Fair enough except that a tall person can go for the eyes or the peaches even more easily than a small person can, due to the difference in reach.

The exceptions start of course with our Sifu. He has so much force that he can make any style work. Of course we all aspire to that, but I try to find what the best thing to do practically in the mean time is. Other exceptions are some of our instructors and more advanced / skillful practitioners, some of them can probably beat lesser skilled people who are bigger sized than them. But this is through skill, rather than employing certain techniques which are better for smaller people.

As an analogy, in boxing I was able to beat people bigger than me, as long as my skill level was considerably higher. Same for plenty of other boxers. But I could also identify within that a couple of elements that don't just depend on skill, but are genuinely advantageous for smaller boxers. One is that a taller boxer's punches tend to hit you on the top of the head, eyes and forehead, which whilst unpleasant, is less likely to knock you out, whereas a small boxer hitting up at a larger one is more likely to connect around the jaw. The other is that a smaller boxer can have the advantage "inside" ie up close, if you get to the range where you can punch at your perfect distance, but he is stuck too close to throw straight punches, but too far away to get proper leverage on his hooks. That said, there are still more advantages to being big hence the saying in boxing "A good big un will beat a good little un."

Comment

Hi Sifu Michael,

I would like to come back to Kevin’s comment about your groin being exposed when grabbing him in a head clinch. You said
                                At that time frame my opponent structure is compromised. If he tries to strike me I can easy throw him to the ground. If he tries to knee or kick me he would have only one leg to stand on compared to my two legs,and I could throw him to the ground.
                                I agree that if he tried to knee or kick you at that point (which would not be a good move) you could throw him to the ground. You would feel the person rising through your hand sensitivity and be able to counter quite easily. My concern, which I believe is also Kevin’s, is that by tying up both your hands around his neck and pulling him to the ground your testicles are ripe for plucking! You may have thrown him to the ground but you have also lost something valuable!

As a fellow martial artist with many years practice I am always interested in reviewing my techniques, skills and application. There is still lots for me to learn and improve on. Somethings work well in some scenarios and some work well in others. The technique you have used could work against and for an unskilled fighter in the moment and I appreciate that you have put it up as a demo, not a real fight situation. It would be good to see how you would defend against a groin strike in that scenario and other techniques you would use to safely get out of that lock.

A good lesson for me here is that when I now post videos I will try and be clear that this is just a technique that could be used, but it also exposes this area. Therefore I would want to cover this scenario or be ready to react. Whilst I am quite experienced in martial arts, and can react quite fast, I would also question if I would want to put myself in the scenario where I had to the react, or use a better technique that got me out of the hold and did not expose me so much, or at least covered the danger points using safety first. I also appreciate that all videos put up are open to discussion and mutual benefit. We are all learning all the time.

When covered there are always other areas to attack, depending on how the person responds and their skill levels. I find in slightly concerning that you do not use a live 2nd hand. Perhaps this is because it is just a demo and not a real situation, or perhaps you want to tempt the person in to strike you in your open areas so you can counter there to.

I would love to cross hands with you sometime, given the opportunity. We can then see how well the various techniques work and look at some variations as well.

All the best.
                                Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
                                A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X