No announcement yet.

Wing Chun grappling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traveling out of the country is not possible. I believe you have a represenative in NYC.

Comment

I would seem to me that considering it is us who have the question, us who want to prove the point in the demo, rather than Sifu Michael, that it would be only fair if our representative travel to him rather than vice versa. Ie I think we seem to care about it more than him, yet I'd be surprised if any of us would care so much about it that we would travel across the world to make this point! (I know I wouldn't, even if I were martially capable of proving it which I am not*). So it is even less likely that Sifu Michael would, I think, and I think this is understandable.

* I can remember making comments like this before and being told off by some fellow members, who felt that the opinion was not valid if I, by my own admission, could not back it up martially. Whereas I believe that Sifu likes us to talk more on the forum, not less. Those people I refer to are no longer in the school.

Comment

Wing Chun Grappling

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
        Traveling out of the country is not possible. I believe you have a represenative in NYC.
        Dear Sifu Michael,

Greetings! Yes, there are representatives of our Shaolin Wahnam Family in NYC and I am sure if they have the time would accept your invitation. I just came back home from a long and extraordinary trip across the world, so I cannot travel at this moment, but I will gladly accept your invitation, even though I need to travel there from Puerto Rico. Sometime in between 6th and 26th of April, would be perfect time frame for me. I hope these dates are suitable for you, since they are almost 4 months from today.

Best Regards,
        [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
        Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
        - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Originally posted by drunken boxer View Post
          I'd be surprised if any of us would care so much about it that we would travel across the world to make this point!
          Dear Sihing Drunken Boxer (I'm sure I've seen your real name somewhere, and apologize for not remembering it),

International travel is, indeed, quite a significant thing (time, money, planning, etc.). But the international spread of our school is also a reality. The discussion forum serves as an excellent hub of communication, and allows us all to be together, even if it just virtually.

Sifu McIlwrath is a welcome visitor to our virtual kwoon. He has been kind enough to share several videos of his style. Certain aspects of his style differ from ours (which is perfectly alright). These differences have been acknowledged as a learning opportunity for our students, so they are able to see how the depicted situations might be handled from a Shaolin Wahnam perspective. Again, because this is the virtual Shaolin Wahnam kwoon, and not as an attempt to discredit Sifu McIlwrath or point out that he is wrong. I would expect a similar response if any of our instructors were to post videos on Sifu McIlwrath's website, forum, blog, etc. If his teaching/style would respond differently, I am sure he would like to point this out for the benefit of his students.

Since this discussion is happening on the Shaolin Wahnam forum, for the benefit of Shaolin Wahnam students, it makes sense that demonstrations showing the Shaolin Wahnam approach would happen in a Shaolin Wahnam location with Shaolin Wahnam instructors/students. And Sifu McIlwrath is gladly invited to attend, if possible. The verbal discussion of technique has been happening within the Shaolin Wahnam school (rather than on the comments of Sifu McIlwrath's videos), as the purpose is for our students' benefit. So, it makes sense that the physical discussion, for our students' benefit, might also happen within our school.

I believe that is why some of our brothers, scattered throughout the world, are extending the invitation to Sifu McIlwrath.

-Matt

Comment

Dear Sifu McIlwrath,

I live in NH, so geographically I am one of the closer instructors. I would be more than happy to welcome you to NH, if you would like to visit, or take a day trip to your location of choosing. It would be excellent to finally meet you in person, rather than just virtually via the discussion forum!

I have very much enjoyed some friendly training with martial artists of other styles (locally). I think we would also find the friendly training to be a lot of fun. It would be nice to try out various "if this, then that" responses, and see how our styles may differ and/or agree. It would also be nice to build some rapport and camaraderie between our schools.

Weekends in January are pretty busy for me. Perhaps we can plan something for February? We can work out the details via PM, if you'd like.

Hope to hear from you soon!

-Matt

Comment

Dear Matt,

I understand your opinion, obviously mine is different and I can leave it there as far as this topic goes.

The only reason I want to comment further, is because I have lots of friends in other schools, I read what people say in other forums, especially on some recent events, and if they are to be believed we are all drones who don't have, or are not allowed, our own opinions. Yet here we have us two showing a difference of opinion, another example to thwart those doubters.

Indeed a deeper examination should show those people, that one of the tenets of our school is "accept nothing on faith alone", and I believe one of the 10 Shaolin laws tells us not to lie. So obviously if we see something that is contrary to our experience or belief, we are not supposed to accept it or pretend we agree with it.

Anyway that was a tangent, topic can return to the point of the demo, but if I am a gambling man I will bet this demo either happens in the NJ (or nearby) area or not at all. Tempted as I am to invite Sifu Michael to Ireland, but this would only be to drink pints of guinness!

ps re the name, don't worry, due to associations with other schools I normally prefer not to put the name on here, though it's not a big deal.

Comment

Dear Matt,

I understand your opinion, obviously mine is different and I can leave it there as far as this topic goes.

The only reason I want to comment further, is because I have lots of friends in other schools, I read what people say in other forums, especially on some recent events, and if they are to be believed we are all drones who don't have, or are not allowed, our own opinions. Yet here we have us two showing a difference of opinion, another example to thwart those doubters.
                Be of the hive mind, or be gone!!!

Comment

Hi Sifu McIlwrath,

Thank you for the interesting discussions you have been contributing to our virtual kwoon. I have been following this thread with interest and just got caught up with the most recent posts by my brothers and yourself.

I would be happy to meet up with you. I think it could be a lot of fun for us both. As I am in Florida, I am not as nearby as Matt, but I am closer than my other brothers who have responded. And the weather here in St. Petersburg is nice year-round. I only hope that you don't give the excuse that too many of our instructors are volunteering. We greatly value direct experience in our school, and it is only natural that should you succeed in applying your counter on one of us that others would wish to benefit from that same experience. This is a common occurrence in our classes, too, not just watching but experiencing applications. Our students on both sides of the application find it highly beneficial.

Best wishes,
                  Chris Didyk
                  Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by Angel Guillermo View Post
                    Dear Sifu Michael,

Greetings! Yes, there are representatives of our Shaolin Wahnam Family in NYC and I am sure if they have the time would accept your invitation. I just came back home from a long and extraordinary trip across the world, so I cannot travel at this moment, but I will gladly accept your invitation, even though I need to travel there from Puerto Rico. Sometime in between 6th and 26th of April, would be perfect time frame for me. I hope these dates are suitable for you, since they are almost 4 months from today.

Best Regards,
                    Hello sifu Angel,

As far as I know April is fine.I don't have any plans.

Comment

Dear Matt,

Indeed a deeper examination should show those people, that one of the tenets of our school is "accept nothing on faith alone", and I believe one of the 10 Shaolin laws tells us not to lie. So obviously if we see something that is contrary to our experience or belief, we are not supposed to accept it or pretend we agree with it.

Anyway that was a tangent, topic can return to the point of the demo, but if I am a gambling man I will bet this demo either happens in the NJ (or nearby) area or not at all. Tempted as I am to invite Sifu Michael to Ireland, but this would only be to drink pints of guinness!

ps re the name, don't worry, due to associations with other schools I normally prefer not to put the name on here, though it's not a big deal.
                      Yes,your right this videos was shoot in NJ where I live..I love to come to Ireland as I have never been there. I have Irish ancestry and like to see the land of my fore fathers lived,and to have a pint of the" black stuff" with you. Now my funds don't allow it..

Comment

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
                        Be of the hive mind, or be gone!!!
                        Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
                          Yes,your right this videos was shoot in NJ where I live..I love to come to Ireland as I have never been there. I have Irish ancestry and like to see the land of my fore fathers lived,and to have a pint of the" black stuff" with you. Now my funds don't allow it..
                          Ah, maybe some day eh. No sparring though - I think I am too small to challenge you at wing chun, I haven't yet realised the aspects of it which let a small person theoretically defeat a big person - though we could have a guinness drinking challenge instead, I don't let size hold me back in that!

Comment

Dear Sifu Michael,

In my experience some techniques are more useful than others, some people are more skilful than others and then technique matters less, and some people seem to transcend techniques/skils and are just "marvellous", then nothing seems to work . I sometimes use a video of Rafa Nadal hitting an "impossible" top-spin forehand to demonstrate this. But I don't think he would be teaching people that as a technique - even though he can do it. I think they would get themselves into bother in a tennis match if they tried to use it as a technique .

You have been kind enough to post on our forum a number of videos of techniques you are teaching. Sifu Kevin was kind enough to point out some technical weaknesses he spotted - I guess particularly if a beginner tried them. You then explained how you would counter those weaknesses and explained that the only way to test them was directly rather than with words.

So, I am very happy to take up the invitation as well - a planned try out of the techniques you are teaching. I am in the UK along with a few other Sifus who I am sure would be happy to join in the fun. And then we can have a nice cup of tea together .

With metta,

Barry
                            Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                            Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                            Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                            UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Grimlock View Post
                              Hi Sifu McIlwrath,

Thank you for the interesting discussions you have been contributing to our virtual kwoon. I have been following this thread with interest and just got caught up with the most recent posts by my brothers and yourself.

I would be happy to meet up with you. I think it could be a lot of fun for us both. As I am in Florida, I am not as nearby as Matt, but I am closer than my other brothers who have responded. And the weather here in St. Petersburg is nice year-round. I only hope that you don't give the excuse that too many of our instructors are volunteering. We greatly value direct experience in our school, and it is only natural that should you succeed in applying your counter on one of us that others would wish to benefit from that same experience. This is a common occurrence in our classes, too, not just watching but experiencing applications. Our students on both sides of the application find it highly beneficial.

Best wishes,
                              I just want to clear something up.first my video is a demo,not a sparring match.It was used to show a few simple things. Also,any technique can be countered. It all depends on many factors if a technqiue is going to work or not.My video is a demo so it should not be taken the way, It was pointed out in my video at a certain point of the video I was exposed for certain attacks and I agree but again this is a demo not a fight.I think not is not clear!! if I was fighting this person he would not even get that far.As soon as he went for the underhook my fist would be traveling twords his face. He would not likey get that far. I hope this clears this up.

Comment

Ah, maybe some day eh. No sparring though - I think I am too small to challenge you at wing chun, I haven't yet realised the aspects of it which let a small person theoretically defeat a big person - though we could have a guinness drinking challenge instead, I don't let size hold me back in that!
                                lol ok no problem lets have a Guinness drinking contest..I love Guinness.

Comment

Working...
                                X