X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choy-Li-Fatt is done

Comment

Dear mr_couchalot,

STOP IIIT, there's enough to translate as it is !! No seriously, thank you. It'll be cool to see what you did with the layout!

Btw: Not quite sure what you need help with, actually...? I for my part intend to simply translate the questions and use those in the table of contents, indicating the pages where the questions can be found. I'm sure you could do the same! Concerning keywords: You can look for specific words via ctrl+F in the document itself, so I'm pretty sure Keywords in the table of contents aren't really necessary. Yay for the joys of technology! It goes so far that when I read Sukhavati, I actually wanted to use the search function right up until my brain finally caught up !

And I think you can send the pdf's to George Sisook, so that he can maybe update his post at the beginning of the thread?

P.S.: Can we know your real name? Your nickname is awesome, but I personally prefer adressing people with their name. Only if you want to, of course!

Shaolin greeting,
      Fabienne

Comment

All the pdf documents are so nicely edited, I have just simply completed Sigungs answers and copied the layout, which I think is very good.

My work is nothing consider how much time Sigung uses to write them down. I just hope it will be easier for others to read them in a nice looking form. My Sifu said that Q & A series will be the classics for the new generations. I hope in that way it will be easier to spread our Grandmaster teaching.

My name is Karol, and it is really nice to meet You. I hope You like my work. If there is something I should change, please let me know.

My plan is:

- complete all the answers in pdf format
        - add the pictures to make it even more awesome

edit - The legacy of Bodhidharma almost done...
        Last edited by Karol; 17 July 2015, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hey Karol,

Again, I'm really looking forward to your layout, it sounds like you really put some effort into it ! I was thinking of adding relevant pictures to the translated Q&A's as well (if I can find them in high quality, that is), so I'm sure your help will save quite a bit of time in the future! And I really agree with your Sifu about the importance of these pdf's.

I'm gonna stop spamming this thread now and start translating !
          Keep having fun with compiling the Q&A's!

Comment

Thanks to Karol (mr_couchalot) we now have PDFs for "Choi Li Fatt", "Kungfu Against Other Styles" and "Secrets of Building Internal Force". Links have been added to the title post.
            George / Юра
            Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Reading all the answers closely, searching for the possible missing dot is really enriching. So many interesting things! And the 36 Strategies, there is so many good stories

Thank You Sigung for Your great work!

Comment

Thanks to Karol (mr_couchalot) we now have PDFs for "Legacy of Bodhidharma", "The 36 Strategies" and "The 18 Jewels". Links have been added to the title post.
                Last edited by George; 18 July 2015, 02:48 PM.
                George / Юра
                Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Added files for the Essence of Spiritual Cultivation Q&As.
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Thanks to Karol (mr_couchalot) we now have PDFs for "The Yang Style 108 Pattern Set" and "Baguazhang". Links have been added to the title post.

He has also updated the "36 Strategies" PDF to include answers from the second QA on the subject.

Well done Karol - I'm sure many people will benefit from your generous efforts!
                    George / Юра
                    Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Thank you for your kind words. We are very lucky to have that productive Grandmaster. Some of the answers are 15 pages long...

Cloud Hands pdf is on the way.

Have a great weekend!

Comment

Thanks to Karol (mr_couchalot) we now have a PDF for "Cloud Hands Grasp Sparrow". Links have been added to the title post.
                        George / Юра
                        Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Thanks to Karol (mr_couchalot) we now have a PDFs for "Cosmic Breathing" and "Sinew Metamorphosis". Links have been added to the title post.
                          Last edited by George; 10 September 2015, 04:13 AM.
                          George / Юра
                          Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Translating these Q&As into other languages is also a great way to make the information accessible to more students, and is also an excellent endeavor for Scholar-Warriors. Eh? Eh? Any takers?
                            Bump
                            Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Dear Andrew,

Man, I hoped nobody would bump this xD! I'm on it, but real life has severely gotten in the way these past few months . Between getting laid off, finding a new job and now being almost wholly consumed by said new (and AWESOME) job, finding time and muse to do this concentrated work during my free time ain't easy . Everything has been organized and ready to go since September, so yeah...

Enough with the excuses. I promise to deliver my first translation by the end of February. I need that much time because I want to get the big Q&A's out of the way first. WHY DOES XINGYIQUAN HAVE OVER 90 PAGES? WHYYYY ?!

Thanks for reminding us of the task at hand! (Ihateyoualittlebitrightnow)

Totally motivated (pffff),
                              Fabienne

Comment

Glad to be a thorn in your side

No worries, sister Fabienne! When the time is right you'll dive head right into the fun of assimilating the answers of Sigung in a new way.

You could apply Sigung's strategies of gradual progression and consistent perseverance:

Gradual progress is very important in any force training. The other very important principle is consistent perseverance. I learned these two essentials in any force training years ago when I trained Iron Palm.

Suppose a practitioner has 100 bricks with thickness ranging progressively from 0.1 of an inch to 2 inches. Every day he hits a sand-bag to increase his strength, and every 3 days he breaks a brick starting with the first one of 0.1 inch. Anyone with average strength should have no difficulty breaking a 0.1 inch brick though he may not be able to break a 2-inch brick.

As the practitioner gradually and progressively increases his strength with his daily hitting of the sand-bag, he would have no difficulty breaking the second brick slightly more than 0.1 inch thick on the 6th day. As he progresses gradually and progressively with his consistent practice he should be able to break the 2-inch brick after 303 days.

But after breaking the 25th brick, after 3 days he jumps to the 35th brick instead of attempting the 26th brick, he may not be able to break it. He has not followed the principle of gradual progress.

Or after breaking the 25th brick he stops practicing for a week. When he resume his practice and attempt breaking the 26th brick, be may not be able to do so. He has not followed the principle of consistent perseverance. The longer the lapse of training, the more he loses the force he has earlier acquired.

If the lapse is long, he may lose all the force or benefit that he has acquired in his previous training. This is known in Chinese (Cantonese0 as “chien kung jun fai”, which means “previous force is all lost”, a situation all informed practitioners would avoid.

If one can stand in Golden Bridge correctly for 5 minutes, it will be good result. He will have sufficient internal force for today’s situation where the standard of martial arts is low. Many people may be angry at this statement, but it is true. Being hit and kicked is regarded as normal and many martial artists are out of breath after 10 minutes of free sparring.

Instead of aiming for 20-30 minutes in Golden Bridge, it is better to aim for 5 minutes performing Golden Bridge perfectly, with total relaxation and mental clarity. In our school, “less is often more”. Don’t force yourself to increase by 1 minute after every 2 weeks. Let the increase be gradual and spontaneous.

First, yu-wei. Then, wu-wei. The yu-wei part is performing Golden Bridge perfectly, even for just a few seconds. The wu-wei part is to enjoy the practice, instead of worrying about your result. You may start with just a few seconds, but with gradual progress and consistent perseverance after a few months you will find yourself enjoying internal force and mental clarity in your Golden Bridge. And when you spar, regardless of whether your opponents use MMA, Muay Thai or any art, you will be surprised that their attacks lack force and you can see their movements clearly.
                                In this case it could be translating one sentence a day. You might also find that starting with one of the Zen Q&As is more approachable. They're shorter, applicable to all peoples and just reading them brings Zen benefits, or "Zenefits".
                                Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Working...
                                X