Kung Fu question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Fu question

I pose a question. What is the highest good your martial art training can give a person?

Great Question! Great Answer

Short Answer: Enlightenment.

Please see our Sifu's answer for explication:

The Ultimate Aim of Shaolin Kung Fu and Taiji Quan

Happy Holidays!
    Charles David Chalmers
    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Enlightenment would be great . Maybe for most people the highest practical attainment is good health throughout a long and happy life in which they have the energy and mental clarity to do their best in whatever they do.

Happy Christmas to all.

With metta,

Barry
      Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
      Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
      Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
      UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
      sigpic

Comment

all good answers..I don't think there is a wrong answer. Each person has their own goals and potential. For myself, it would be a happy and healthy life,and passing down what I have learn to good students.

Comment

Nice

Wishing you and your students a Happy Christmas and New Year.
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by barrys View Post
            Nice

Wishing you and your students a Happy Christmas and New Year.
            Thank You,and to you also..

Comment

Why Shaolin Kungfu is the Greatest Martial Art

Dear Sifu Mc Ilwrath, Dear Family,

This thread reminds me of another one of Sifu's inspiring articles, Why Shaolin Kungfu is the Greatest Martial Art, which answers the question, "What is the highest attainment in our kungfu?"

To whit:

the highest attainment is the direct experience of enlightenment, called variously by different people because of historical, linguistic, cultural and other differences, such as return to God or unity with the Great Void.
              With respect, Sifu Mc Ilwrath, there are in fact wrong answers, though Barry Siheng and I may seem to have given different answers, Barry Siheng's is really an elaboration of mine. Here's an analogy:

Original Student Question: "What is the top speed of a Ferrari?"
              Correct Answer: "In excess of 350 kilometers an hour."
              Sample Student Response : "Oh man, that's too fast for me! I don't need to go that fast, and never will, so I'm not going to buy a Ferrari"

Elaborated Answer: "(Even though a Ferarri can go 350 kilometers an hour, most drivers find they do not want to go that fast and probably never will do so.) Practically speaking, you will have a great time driving it faster than almost every other car on the road, even over 200 kilometers an hour on open highways."

Sample Student Response: "Whoa, that sounds awesome! I'm in!"

Wrong answer: "A Ferrari's top speed is 200 kilometers an hour."

I personally am not aiming to achieve Enlightenment in this life, so very much doubt I will.
              I do believe that is the point that Barry Siheng is trying to make: don't be scared away because the highest achievement seems so unlikely. Even our lower level attainments are quite wonderful and life-changing for us. Emphasizing lower level benefits, over the ultimate benefits is a way of highlighting what are likely to be the aims and aspirations of many people looking to practice martial arts or chi kung.

Finally, May you enjoy and pass along the benefits of whatever you practice!

Wishing You a Happy New Year,

Charles
              Charles David Chalmers
              Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
              X