The Shaolin Journey - Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for sharing this brother.

Blessing also for the women that fell at the shopping centre.

Sudden accidents like this do put things into perspective.
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Sidai. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 19

10/01/2014

“No man is a prophet in his own land”.

We have a saying in Spain: “Nadie es profeta en su tierra”. A literal translation would be: “No man is prophet in his own land”.

It has been already 3 years since I am in Ireland. Every time I travel back to my home town in Spain and meet my friends and family I see myself very different to what I used to be. I notice that I have changed in a meaningful way.

It is always in my hometown where I have more difficulties for applying Sifu’s teachings. That does not mean that I am not able to do so but I am not able to fully live according to those teachings in the way I do in Dublin.

During my visits, sometimes old habits and old patterns come back to mess with me and try to take me backwards. It feels like unwalking the way.

It was said that prophets had always difficulties spreading the teachings in their own land. In my case it is not related to spreading the teachings but to fully apply and live by the teachings that Sifu and Sije have so kindly taught me. I see this as the ultimate and hardest test in my current practice.

Maybe, it is more difficult at home as my friends and family know me since I am a child. Many of the bad habits are not part of my life anymore and that completely changes the way I share my life with my loved ones.

As I finally take things the Shaolin Wahnam way I always use events for learning and growing. I think that if I am capable to apply Sifu’s teachings with family and friends I can surely do it everywhere else.

As I practice these arts twice everyday, some of my friends think that I have gone crazy and that I have gone too far in my practice. Some even think that I might be joining a sect.

It has always amazed me when often perspective seems to be more important than reality or even when opinions seem to be more relevant than facts. None of my friends have tried the genuine arts that I practice but opinion seems to be an statement of truth even when facts show that these incredible arts changed people’s lives (including mine).

When these kind of events happen, it comes to my mind the image of a lotus flower. It is an inspiration for me that this wonderful flower is able to emerge from murky waters in the morning and be perfectly clean like if nothing happened. I once heard from Sifu something that really inspired me; I don't remember the exact words but I remember that I had an Aha experience. One does not need to go up to the mountains and search for spiritual growth there. He can stay in society and find it wherever he is.

In fact, that inspiring message made me realise that I had been running away for a long time and that I was searching in the outside something that I had to search in my inside. I realised that it was time to stop and progress in my path close to my family and friends without eluding my responsibilities.

I cannot deny how difficult that task can be. The more I progress in this path the clearer I see things. Seeing the people I love immersed in very bad habits is the most difficult part. Seeing how my loved ones try to make me come back to those bad habits is the second most difficult part. The more I progress the more important turn out to be the “Art of Letting Go”.

Smiling from the heart, patience, forgiveness and compassion seem to be a very useful help for me in order to become skilful in the letting go process.

Lotus Flower.jpg

(Picture taken from wallpaperscraft)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 20

15/01/2014

“Music in the spirit can be heard by the universe.” - Lao Tzu

5 days have passed since I arrived to my parents house. It is 1 am and I am listening to erhu music. This is one of my favorites instruments. For some reason it connects with the deepest parts of my spirit. It touches every dark corner and turn it into light. Its sound reminds me of the crying but not a sad crying. This is a different crying. It is a crying where the spirit can heal, where the spirit can be set free from past and future, where the time has no time.

Rivers of tears fall from my eyes, swim through my cheeks and die in my lips. Those tears are timeless as it couldn’t be any other way. It seems they have been awaiting for this moment. It is a moment of understanding. It is a moment of forgiving. I cannot contain them anymore. They need to be set free. They need to return to their origins, where they belong.

Erhu sound takes me to a time where I was not me but I was still me. This sound brings my memory back to something that I had forgotten. It is an encounter with what I am and cannot change. Erhu sound awakens in me what has been sleeping. It makes it alive so I can understand. It is a deep love that was never forgotten. It is a love that never died. It is a love that lies in my heart.

The way of the heart is the most mysterious way that I have ever walked. Though it is mysterious I don’t feel scared. I feel protected, I feel guided, I feel myself surrendering to a force that goes beyond my understanding. The way of the heart is the biggest adventure that I have ever lived. It is a calling that I cannot deny.

In these days I pray for understanding. I pray and ask for help. I pray so I can see what my role in this life is. I search for my gift so I can share it with the world. I pray so I can understand my mission in this life and commit to it. I pray so I can have enough wisdom for not wasting this wonderful opportunity.

Beautiful Erhu.jpg

(Picture taken from etsy)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 21

19/01/2014

"Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action". - Mother Teresa

After nine days in my home town I come back to Dublin. Waiting for my flight in the airport I feel a torrent of emotions inside of me. Leaving home is not an easy thing.

It is always hard to look back and see many of my loved ones so far away. It is hard to miss many parts of their lives. This is the life of an emigrant or traveller. I have learned to appreciate the value of a home by having it far away.

I feel very happy in Ireland but I always miss being part of my culture, country, family and friends there. At the end, expending time with them is one of the most important things in my life.

Having only 9 days to demonstrate all the love that I was meant to give during an entire year makes me realise how precious those moments are. Sometimes is unavoidable to have little discussions or disagreements with my loved ones. Knowing that my time with them is limited forgiving their wrongs is easier and helps me to approach them with an open heart.

It is with the loved ones that I experience the widest range of emotions. No others make me feel the torrent of emotions that loved ones do. They reach my heart and touch parts that sometimes hurt but they also touch parts that heal by their love. They have the doors of my heart always opened and sometimes, for that, I feel vulnerable.

I sometimes have difficulties showing them my love because I am afraid of getting hurt. Pain happened many times and I feel that I have not fully forgiven. I now ask God to give me enough wisdom and strength to fully forgive the wrongs.

The deeper I get into the practice the more I can see what all that pain has caused in my spirit. I can often see the emotions blocked inside of me. Now I am really learning to release them. There are many emotions stuck inside and desperately calling for help.

I am very happy that my practice has reached a point where I can go much deeper. Otherwise I would have never been able to release those blocked emotions.

Sometimes it is scary to see how much is still there. Sometimes it is hard to see how much hate, anger and frustration is coming out from my inside. I didn’t know that I had all that inside. I understand now why I wasn’t able to live my life fully.

I often think how lucky I am for having this wonderful and powerful tool. I have saved a lot of suffering in this world as I am able to release all my negative emotions in a healthy way. I do not hurt others when I release those blocked emotions. That is other of the many incredible benefits of practicing these arts.

This time, during these 9 days I was able to give more love than ever. I feel really happy about it. Though I was able to give more love than ever I still want to keep improving and having the chance to completely open my heart.

2013 has been a great year but 2014 will be the year. It will be the year where the magic is going to happen.

Another thing that I have been experiencing lately is while I wake up. I have this feeling of excitement as a new day has come and I can continue improving, living, trying, enjoying, loving and learning. That makes me feel amazed and incredibly lucky as 24 hours give me a big opportunity all around me.

I might have been experiencing a bit closer the feeling of living the present and being aware that Now is where all the magic happens.

While waiting for my flight I was feeling a bit homesick and a question raised in my heart: What would I do if this was my last chance to tell my loved ones how much I love them? That is why I always try to make sure that I have no regrets, that I have forgiven and that they always know how much I love them.

When leaving my family I always think of Sifu and all the sacrifices that he has to make in order to share with the world these precious treasures. A torrent of emotions always occur because I have been away from my loved ones and I know what is like. I thank him for that.

I want to do everything better than before. I always ask God to show me how. I will put the will. Most of the times I want to improve but I don’t know how. I ask for directions, I ask for help. I really want to reach the best possible version of myself. Every moment is precious for improving my life. There is always a way for turning a difficulty into an opportunity for improvement. Many times I am not capable of seeing how. That is why I ask for wisdom, as I will totally commit when I find the way.

Leaving Home.jpg

(Picture taken from telegraph)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 22

25/01/2014

“Sincerity is the way to heaven.” -Mencius

I don’t remember never in my life asking in such a honest way for help. This help that I am asking comes from the heart, to the world, to the universe, to the high beings, to God. It comes from within and it is really honest. It feels like I am bowing to life, to everything that is; asking in the most honest way that I know.

I know that I have been listened. I am finally accepting the help that is needed for me in order to progress in this path as I am unable to do all by myself. I have the will but many times I don’t know how to do it. The asking is so honest that I cannot avoid crying when asking for help. I am so happy to have Sifu and Sije by my side.

I just wish with my full heart the healing and the release of all the blockages that have been separating me from pure happiness.

Lately, during my chi flows I have been saying a lot of nasty words. I cannot stop them from coming out and it feels incredibly good when releasing them. They don’t have a direction. They are not pointing anyone. They are just flowing into the air and escaping from my body as cherry blossom petals blown away towards eternity.

It hurts thinking that I have kept all this inside for so long but at the same time I feel incredibly happy for having been able to release it. I honestly didn’t know a better way to deal with this. I did the best that I honestly could. I forgive myself for that.

Now it seems easier. I am finally able to open the door a bit more so many bad things are leaving my body forever. It feels really good. It feels a liberation. It feels pure.

I see a day when the sun is just the sun, the moon is just the moon, the clouds are just the clouds and the mountains are just mountains. I see a day when the water just flows to the oceans with no regret, sorrow or pity. I see a day when the day sun is not afraid of flourishing the flowers in a garden. I see a day when the rain is not afraid of showering life so it can grow and spread all around. I see a day when the wind is not afraid of whispering the trees about eternal love. I see a day when everything makes perfect sense and I feel in total peace.

I honestly do not understand very well what is happening. I am unsure if I have ever been this far. I have changed so much that I don’t recognise myself. It feels like a new person. It feels like if I cannot hold it anymore. The flow is so strong that I have to just let it be. I sometimes feel like a leaf taken by the river flow. It feels like being part of a love story where the end is finally revealed after a long journey.

Lately I have been thinking about Zen and Shaolin. I am very sure that I know this way. I know now. I have been here before though I cannot remember. Everything seems so familiar that it is like coming back home after a long trip. It is a reunion with my destiny.

All the bad experiences seem to dissolve and disappear while walking forward. I feel an extreme gratitude towards them. They took me where I am now and it finally makes perfect sense. It couldn’t have been any other way. I wouldn’t have ever listened if I had not suffered the way I did. But because of my deep suffering I had to stop and listen. God had all my attention.

I give thanks every day for having had this opportunity in my life. The best is yet to come.

Leaf Taken by the River Flow.jpg

(Picture taken from landscape-photo)

To be continued...

Comment

Dear Santiago Sisook,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. It very inspiring to read.

Shaolin Salute,
                Dominic.

Comment

Thank you very much for you kind words my dear brother and friend Dominic. They are very much appreciated. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 23

25/01/2014

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power". - Abraham Lincoln

Today has been the day where I finished learning the Yang 108 Pattern Set. I think that it is the longest set that I have ever learned. Flowing Water Floating Clouds was incredibly easy for me to learn but, in comparison, Yang 108 Pattern Set has been very difficult. It was not because of the patterns as I knew many of them. I felt so unfamiliar with this set that I was commonly brain fried.

It feels a release to have gone through the full set before Sifu comes to Ireland. I feel that having learned the set before he comes it is the least I can do for showing my respect when he teaches it.

I really want to make the best of this course and being able to remember the set allows me to focus on many other skills that I would miss if I was coming to the course without having memorised it. It was in Iron Wire course where I learned that big lesson. I did not memorised the set before attending to the course. Because of that, I couldn’t be totally relaxed and focused as I had to constantly look others in order to remember the patterns.

Since then, I can gladly say that I have always attended to Sifu’s courses with the set memorised. This has brought me tremendous benefits as there are many skills that I have been able to catch. I believe that the reason was that I was able to fully open my heart to Sifu’s teachings.

It comes to my mind an analogy. When I was learning English, I could not watch an English movie without subtitles. While I was reading the subtitles I was missing many important aspects from the movie. Once my English was good enough, I could enjoy the movie without subtitles. Because I wasn’t reading the subtitles I was able to catch many more details from the movie and therefore it became alive, fun, more meaningful and felt complete.

In this year, my Taijiquan practice hasn’t been easy as I had to face many difficulties. I often overtrained or even had some deviations. I haven’t been totally relaxed when I practice but I have been unaware of it so it has been difficult to correct when in my solo practice.

That is why Second Shaolin Law got really deep in my mind. I fully understand now why it is a requirement to be physically and mentally healthy. These arts are so strong that any kind of deviation or over training could lead to very bad consequences. The more I progress in these arts the more respect I have for their power. It is just shocking the tremendous depth of all of them and I am sure that I am just aware of a very tiny part.

In fact, the more I walk this path the more careful I have to be with over training and deviations. I can feel how the mind is becoming more powerful and therefore it can become more dangerous. I often remember superheroes movies when the master mentions to the student: “Big power requires big responsibility”. I totally agree with this. I understand now why Sifu often mentions that “we have to use it for good”. In fact, one of my biggest fears is my own human nature. I do not feel ready for the power that I am gaining.

It is also very interesting to note how many of the superheroes powers that I believed impossible can be found in Shaolin or genuine Kung Fu training. The strongest similarity that comes to my mind is Spider-man and his famous “Spider Sense”. Having trained Pushing Hands, Sije commonly mentioned about the “Hearing Force” and our ability to sense the opponent, danger, changes, attacks and/or even intentions.

It seems like an extraordinary Super Power that only Spider Man could have but in fact this is something that I have already felt by training these arts and is not a fictional superpower only found in comics. It can be trained and it is very useful for combat situations. It has also greatly enhanced my daily life as it allows me to avoid dangerous situations, to better deal with people and many more benefits.

Spider Man and His Spider Sense.jpg

(Picture taken from comicbookmovie)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 24

05/02/2014

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing". - Benjamin Franklin

Writing in a Chi Kung State of Mind

There is an exercise that we used to do when having the Taijiquan weekends with Sije. It was called “Writing in a Chi Kung State of Mind”. Cleaning up my room I found some of theses writings in a box and read them again. I could not avoid feeling quite emotional. I know that in this stage of my life there is a lot of crying but all I can say is that I am understanding a lot of things from this crying. In fact, the more I cry, the more I understand about my suffering.

Below I will share those writings. All of them were written in a “Chi Kung State of Mind”. My mind lead my energy and my energy lead my pen. As these writings came from the heart that explains why I went into tears when I read them again. They hit my heart like a fast arrow arriving to its target:

PLAN FOR MY LIFE

I just wanna feel alive. That’s all I need. When the sun comes down I want to feel it. When the stars are shining I want to enjoy them. When the trees are bending I want to accompany them. When the rain is flowing, I want to get wet.

I just want to be myself, to shine as the stars do, to smile as the trees do, to sing as the wind does and to pray as the sunset does.

To be is not only to see. To see is not only to be. To me, to him, to her, to everybody, to them, to you and to nobody.

As the water goes, as the sound flows, disappear with the nothing and recover from life.

LETTER FROM MY 80’s

Note: The purpose of this exercise was writing a letter imagining that we were 80 years old and looked back to our life identifying the great regrets that we had. This writing was of incredible help as I realised that I already had those regrets even when I wasn’t old. The good thing is that I am not on my 80’s and I can still correct those regrets. In fact, by reading this letter now I realised that I had fixed many of those things already.

I feel regret because I didn’t love more often, because I didn’t forgive the ones that I love. I feel regret because I did not do what I love most in my life and because I didn’t learn as much as I could.

I feel regret because I didn’t sit down more often and enjoy a sunset with the ones that I love. I feel regret for being away so much time. I feel regret for not loving the ones that need me most and the ones that I hated most. I feel regret for not learning all the lessons on time and for not being what I was meant to be. I feel regret for not loving life the way it is meant to be.

LOVE

I can feel love, the love of life, the love of you. I don’t understand it but I don’t need to. There is no need to. I can just feel it. It is coming and it is arriving. I am arriving home too. It feels good, it feels happy, it feels love.

I can breathe it, touch it and smell it. It is everywhere. I don’t worry because it is already there and I can feel it. I just breath and take it. I take it with my whole body. I smile and enjoy it, enjoy you, enjoy everywhere, everything, every part even when it is falling apart.

I just breath, I just feel. It is coming, coming to stay, to stay with me. Thanks. Thanks for this second opportunity.

I wanna see through your eyes because they lead me to you. Just let me be you, let me be me, let me see and let me feel. I want to be your smile, for a while, if you don’t mind.

LIFE

What is life? I can tell you what is not. It is not about fighting, competing or hating. It is not about jealousy, anger or dying. So what is life then? Live it and you will know.

Life is life. Don’t just think about it. Enjoy the most, love the most, feel the most and share the most.

This is your way and the only way, night and day, in April and in May. Don’t you worry as it is all good and stay always in a good mood. Is that understood?

There is no time for hate. Life is too short. In an instant is all gone. Why then? Just share, just feel, just love, just be.

Smile to the life and if you have a wife, share with her you joy like a child play with a toy.

SHAOLIN KUNG FU

Cleaning up my stuff I also found a writing that I made when I went to Cork for learning Shaolin Kung Fu from Sifu Mark. It was in Spanish so I translated:

Cork Station. 10 minutes to 6. In half an hour train will depart. After 3 hours of practice in the art of Shaolin Kung Fu I feel as if I didn’t practice at all. But, what is exactly Kung Fu? Why after 3 hours of training I don’t feel tired? Why do I have more energy than before starting the practice? It seems an illusion or maybe the illusion was what I lived before.

It is now when I understand how important is the heart to heart transmission. It is incredibly truthful, sincere and pure. It is like if all the questions that couldn’t be answered before are getting answered while I deepen in my practice. It is like going into a place where I have never been. However, it feels so familiar and so pleasant. It feels even better than being at home.

Today I have been revealed the power of breathing. It does not look as something new though. It is just today when it made perfect sense. Many times has been read or explained to me but it is only through the Shaolin Kung Fu that I have been able to understand it.

Why everything that I learn in this school makes so much sense?
                      Why everything seems so simple, clear and direct?
                      Why practicing this Kung Fu is so pleasant?

Shaolin Kung Fu is an incredible path. It is what I have always been searching. It fulminates my doubts. It is a pleasure, an honor and a privilege to have the chance to walk this path because I know that I have found a genuine master and I know that he will bring the best out of me.

Writing in Chi Kung State of Mind.jpg

(Picture taken from thegospelcoalition)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 25

10/02/2014

“We shall never know all the good that a simple smile can do”. - Mother Teresa

Everything started when Sije mentioned in one of her classes: How many of you Smile from the Heart in the morning just before opening your eyes? I could not answer a “yes” to that question. That made me realise a lot of things. If I always smile just at the very start of my practices and it is so beneficial, why not starting my day with a beautiful Smile from the Heart?

Smiling from the Heart is a simple but incredibly profound skill that brings me enormous and various benefits. I must confess that I sometimes forget this fact and it is not always easy for me to practice it at the very start of my day. When that happens I just take a couple of seconds and try gently for some more times. Then the miracle happens. I find it there, just in the heart, bring it out and share it with the world.

I never regretted commencing my day with a Smile from the Heart. It totally changes the entire day. This practice really boosts my energy, relaxes me, opens my heart and makes my life much more joyful.

As I was progressing in this practice and getting more and more benefits I decided to implement it to the rest of my day. For that, every time that I realised that I wasn’t Smiling from the Heart I was taking a deep breath, closing my eyes (when possible) and searching for an honest smile that came from the heart.

It is so beneficial that Smiling from the Heart is becoming very natural in my life. I am more aware than ever when I am not Smiling from the Heart. It is amazing how much the heart can close during the day. I totally understand now why I was feeling always so sad and depressed.

Whenever I am working and feel stressed I stop and Smile from the Heart. I realise then how much I was tensing as I feel that tension disappearing with the smile.

It is so simple, so profound and it has so many benefits that I cannot thank enough for this wonderful gift.

In fact, I think that it is impossible for me to worry or intellectualise when I am Smiling from the Heart. Smiling from the Heart connects me with God and refreshes my whole body, energy and spirit.

Adding to that, I have noticed that my practice has improved a lot since I Smile from the Heart more often as it instantly takes me to a Chi Kung State of Mind.

Many months have passed and many lessons have been learned by bringing alive this simple but profound practice.

Smiling from the Heart hasn’t always been easy. In fact, one day I was looking at my pictures over the past 10 years and I decided to destroy most of them as I looked incredible sad, upset and locked up. I didn’t want to keep such a terrible memory of myself. It was time for a fresh start, for a second opportunity.

It is inspiring to see how different my pictures look now. That shows me how profound these arts are and how much I have progressed since I practice them. Without realising, the change has been so enormous and meaningful that it is hard to believe.

I once heard that “a smile is the shortest distance between two people”. I have understood by direct experience that an honest smile coming from the heart opens the door to the wonders hosted in people’s hearts. A smile is the best way that I know to connect and bring the best out of me and people.

In fact, it was Sifu's smile that opened my heart. It connected my heart with his and heart to heart transmission happened.

The more I walk this path the more respect I have for these beautiful arts. Having such meaningful lessons and teachings keep me really humble as I can see the limitless power of God reflected in every one of them.

Smile from the Heart.jpg

(Picture taken from palmvietnamtravel)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 26

12/02/2014

"When you have the unity of spirit and energy, you have accomplished the essential practice of Taijiquan and in life. It is a sign showing that you have practiced correctly and live your life well. It is a sign that you have attained the essence of Taijiquan and have a meaningful, rewarding life". - Sifu

NOTE: The next 6 posts were already shared in this St. Valentine's Thread. As they were part of the Shaolin Journey Diary I am going to share them here too so you have all the pieces together. :-)

DAY 1

Today Sifu has arrived into Ireland. It is interesting to note that in this week I have experienced the worst weather since I live in here. Wind was so strong that many flights and trains were cancelled or delayed. Fallen trees, broken roofs and many Irish homes with no electricity for days were just one of the fews that Ireland has experienced. That is why I was a bit worried that Sifu's flight might had some issues for getting to Dublin.

Sifu’s arrival always surprises me as wonderful things happen around him. Though Ireland was in red alert because of the storm, as Sifu’s flight was arriving storm ceased. In fact, it was an amazing sunny morning and wind almost stopped. I could not stop smiling from the heart.

Many people might not understand what just happened as predictions were giving for that day a really terrible weather in Dublin, including strong winds. I knew that weather was going to improve just because of Sifu. Most people might think that weather went just crazy or that predictions failed.

Everything happens for a reason. Whenever I am capable of feeling, experiencing and understanding some of them I just start smiling from the heart because I feel the divine presence providing care and protection for all of us.

DAY 2

Today I had the honor to have lunch with Sifu. I really love the informal teachings when having meals with Sifu. They help me to improve and to understand better the key to success.

Sifu had an interesting idea for Dominic to approach rich customers as Dominic mentioned that he was having some difficulties for reaching them. Sifu suggested him to practice the 30 opponents program. That does not mean that Dominic had to do sparring with 30 customers! :-) As Sifu has taught us, his teachings are alive and they are meant to enrich our daily lives. Using the progressive method of the 30 opponents program for reaching richer customers it is a fantastic idea.

Since the moment Sifu mentioned it I just thought about many different applications for my own life. The progressive and systematic approach of the 30 opponents program when applied for business truly is a very powerful and effective way to escalate to the goals that I want to achieve.

Whenever I go to interviews for finding a new job I am not very successful in showing them why I am the perfect candidate. In fact, I have seen how many of my colleagues at work found much better jobs and better paid through the past 3 years while I was failing in every interview process.

In many cases, I knew very well those colleagues and I knew that their quality of work was much worse than mine. It is very interesting to see how sometimes the best professionals fail in interviews while other professionals that offer low level work get really good jobs.

I understood how important is the heart of confidence for getting what I want in my life. I know that I provide high level work and any company that hires me would benefit a lot from hiring me. Despite that fact, which I demonstrated in my actual company for the past 3 years, I have been unable to convince companies when in interviews. Therefore, I am missing a lot of opportunities because my heart of confidence is not strong enough.

I think that 30 opponent program applied for professional life is an excellent choice for improving. When I do interviews with big managers I struggle and they can feel that. At the end it is them that I have to convince for getting the job that I want. I am qualified enough for all the jobs that I have been interviewed for. Though I have excellent qualifications I have failed in all of my intents.

During lunch, Sifu was also explaining us the 5 elemental processes and how could they be applied into different scenarios. In one case, Sifu was explaining about Metal and how Metal Resonates. I then asked Sifu if Marketing could be an example of Metal. Sifu was explaining that it is not fixed and it always depends on the scenario or situation. In one scenario one action could be considered as metal and in other it could be considered as water.

I often remember how Sifu always reminds us that Kung Fu is alive. I sometimes tend to enclose ideas into a box and think that they are fixed and cannot be modified. As everything is in constant change, I have understood that it is no fixed and everything will depend on many factors.

I remember one example that Sije was mentioning in one of the Taijiquan Weekends. Sije was reminding us of a story when a student asked Sifu if one specific thing/action was Yin or Yang. Sifu explained that it always depends. Below I copy Sifu's explanation:

If we ask ourselves if a table is Yin or Yang it will depend if for example we compare it with the floor or with the ceiling. In one case the table will be Yin and in the other case it will be Yang. I don’t remember well in which case the table was Yin and in which case it was Yang.

Cosmos Stance.jpg

(Picture taken from shaolin.org)

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 27

15/02/2014

"In our school, often less is more". - Sifu

The first course for this Saint Valentines has ended. It was an amazing course. The 18 Jewels was divided in 3 parts and spread through 1,5 days. The results were so good that Sifu finished in two of the three parts one hour before.

When I was a beginner and Sifu was finishing before expected I used to feel a bit disappointed because I used to relate the money that I was paying with the duration of a course. I did not pay attention to the important fact of being cost-effective. I am proud to say that this way of thinking belongs to the past. Now, when a course finishes before expected I feel happy because that means we did very well and we have accomplished the goal in much less time.

This way of thinking has not only benefited me inside Shaolin Wahnam but also outside. In fact, it has enriched all aspects of my life and saved me a lot of time, money and trouble. By reviewing my life I can see how I used to compensate the lack of efficiency by spending more time in a task. If for example I was meant to spend 5 hours and I wasn’t able to finish on time I was just spending as much time as needed in order to finish it. For that, I could not understand why finishing a course 1 or 2 hours before could be considered a great success when I was paying a lot of money for a relatively short time already.

Interestingly, a colleague in the office asked me how much money I was spending on the courses that I was about to do. When I told her the fees she could not understand how could it be possible that I was paying such an amount of money for such a short length of time. She thought that I was crazy.

I patiently explained her that length was not the best approach to rank a course. I emphasised that the most important thing were results achieved. It is interesting to see how she could not understand that way of thinking. In fact, more people in the office joined the conversation and they could not believe that I was paying that amount of money for only one week. Some people even suggested that I was being cheated. The only thing that I did was just smiling from the heart and share with them through that smile all that Sifu has done for me.

That experience brought me back to what I used to be and to the way I used to think and made me feel really happy as I could see how much improvement I have done in my life since I have joined the school more than 10 years ago.

What Sifu mentions is actually incredibly inspiring: "We have finished before expected. We have more time to spend with family, friends, drinking a coffee or having a walk!" Being so cost effective brings a lot of benefits in my life. For example, at work. In my current role I have to optimise clients advertising campaigns. I have to complete one optimisation per day. As I am very cost effective I often finish 2 or 3 hours before. I use that extra time for helping others, for getting some extra training in online advertising, for writing, for listening to music or for whatever I want.

Some people struggle and cannot finish one task per day unless they do overtime. Since I am in this job I never had to stay over time. I always accomplished my targets and finished even before expected. In fact, the colleague that sits on my right usually comments that I always look very relaxed when I am working and asks how is it possible that I usually finish so soon.

Now I have enough mental clarity to detect if my way of working lacks efficiency. I am able to remove unnecessary steps, I make less mistakes and I am able to find the best solution for each client in a faster way. As Sifu mentions, the arts that we practice should enrich our lives and the lives of others. Being able to complete whatever I have to complete in a shorter time gives me a lot of free time for doing many other things that I want to do in my life.

Coming back to the 18 Jewels, “Dancing Butterfly” certainly was my favourite by far. It makes me feel free, it makes me fly up there, far away in the sky and just beyond the stars. It is amazing how one simple exercise can free the spirit in such way and put it just where it belongs.

My second favourite exercise was one called the “General Surveys Field” and it was truly amazing to gain immediate confidence just seconds after its practice. In fact, it was funny to see some people enjoying this exercise so much that they kept walking that way even when that session ended. All I can say is that I truly understand them as I have experienced its powerful benefits myself.

There was a girl which story really touched my spirit but I won’t share it here because it is not my duty to do so. All I can do is feeling lucky enough to have witnessed with my own eyes what genuine Chi Kung is capable of. I am sure that people in this course knows what experience I am talking about. :-)

Dancing Butterfly.jpg

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 28

16/02/2104

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude". - Friedrich Nietzsche

Sunday evening. I am waiting in my room until it is time for Graduation Dinner. Bone Marrow Cleansing has finished already. As usual, I feel very happy but also very sad. It is like the Sweet and Sour Sauce; though its tastes are opposite they perfectly combine. My feelings are the same way; though they are contraries it is an incredible feeling to have because that means that what just happened marked my spirit in a way that only eternity can remember and understand.

It is always such a joy to spend time with my dear Shaolin Wahnam Family members that whenever they go back to their own homes I feel an empty space in my heart. I only have that kind of feeling with my other family. That is why I know that this family has a very special place in my heart.

This Bone Marrow Cleansing has a very special place in my heart too. It is really an honour to deepen in the Bone Marrow Cleansing Skills as it is probably my favourite Chi Kung Course. For some reason it really connects with me. I have done this course 3 times already and, though it is the same course, they had nothing to do one with each other. It reminds me of the saying “you cannot step in the same river twice” by Heraclitus.

Just before start writing about the courses I was thinking on how lucky I am by belonging to this family and receiving such incredible transmissions. As I am writing this sentence I cannot avoid to come into tears as I know that this opportunity is not very frequent and I really want to make the best of it.

After Bone Marrow Cleansing I always feel very emotional. It is incredibly strong and it goes really deep. I understand why Sifu is insisting so much in being careful with its practice. In fact, whenever I practice the bone marrow level I usually choose doing it on the weekends as I might be crying during the whole day for no reason and that wouldn’t be very advised if it happens in the middle of a meeting or while having lunch with my colleagues at work. :-)

The more time it passes the more gratitude I feel towards Sifu, Sije and all the masters that dedicated their life to these amazing arts. I feel that it is a tremendous privilege to be part of such a millenary tradition and art. It is the incredible adventure that my heart has always been waiting for.

Graduation Dinner came to an end and I had to pronounce my speech. People that know me can testify that this was by far my shortest speech ever. Words just didn’t happen. An immense feeling of gratitude was arising from my heart and flowering like a cherry blossom in spring. This force was flowing through me with such an intensity that all I could say was thank you.

That reminds me of the story when the great Bodhidharma asked his students to tell him their understanding of his teaching and all that Hui Ke, the most senior student, did was bowing deeply but said nothing.

I just could not have a long speech. Words didn't come out. By knowing me, people know that this is hard to believe… All I could do is look at Sifu and transmit him my gratitude through the heart to heart connection that he has always taught me. I never felt so closed to Sifu’s heart before. Though I did not say much I felt that I said it all.

Bodhidharma and Hui Ke.jpg

To be continued...

Comment

The Shaolin Journey - Part 29

18/02/2104

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win". - Sun Tzu

36 strategies is another wonderful course. Scholar projects are really helpful for me. As I work in Marketing, I have to create strategies on a daily basis and these courses really boost my skills in professional life.

In comparison with the previous 36 Strategies Course I have seen in myself a big improvement in the skill of identifying problems. Though many people might think that this is an easy task I can confirm by direct experience that it was not, at least for me. In this year I have had the chance to train this skill at work and it has really changed my approach towards work.

My findings in this field have been very enriching as I have seen that great majority of people have difficulties in finding what the real problem is. I found that it is quite common to mistake the problem with the symptoms. That makes the labour of solving a problem quite hard, if not impossible.

I am happy to see that in this course, when discussing the "attack" strategies, I was able to identify problems much faster than previous year. Actually, last year I wasn't even able to identify the problem at all. Adding to that, in this course I was able to separate one problem from another and that made the labour of solving them much easier.

This year, I have had a very important lesson that really hit me in the heart. When I was trying to apply a solution for a problem Sifu made me realise that I wasn't really applying a solution at all. I was just going round and round with the problem and thinking that I was applying a solution. I have been doing this for a long time in all aspects of my life. Because of that, some of my problems lasted for months and in some cases even for years.

Another big teaching that entered in me like a thunderbolt was the fact that I was not able to apply strategies in my life because I was afraid that they would fail. Sifu made it very easy for us: "Apply one strategy and if it does not work, apply another strategy". At the end, it is the action what solves the problem. In Sifu's words again: "In our school, we cannot just talk. We must be prepared to walk our talk".

Other thing that I have learned in this course is to identify when one strategy is a good or a bad strategy and if it serves well to its purpose. This might be easy but it is not easy. It might seem simple and it is simple but not necessarily easy. In fact, this is the reason why many companies fail in their strategies. There is a good example that I remember from my marketing education:

A big Western pharmaceutical company had a very successful medicine and wanted to expand to Middle East and Asia. They had a very successful advertising billboard that generated a big revenue in the USA so they decided to use it for the Middle East and Asian countries. I have reproduced it below with a very basic Photoshop made by myself:

[you need to be logged in order to see the picture] :-)

36 Strategies.jpg

There are 3 photographs (from left to right): The first one represents a sick man. In the second one, the man is taking the medicine. In the third one, the man is happy and healthy again. This showed to be a very successful advertising for western countries but, what if some countries read from right to left? That was the case for many Middle East and Asian countries. For those countries, the man from the advertising was happy and healthy, the man then takes the medicine and just after that he gets sick because of the medicine! That was a complete fail in advertising and this example is in the marketing books as a case study.

This company failed in its advertising strategy because it assumed that it was a good strategy just because it worked in western countries.

Honestly, I have wasted a lot of money in my education. I know this now by learning from Sifu. I don't mean to disrespect my teachers but it is a fact and it is not merely my opinion. I shall elaborate on my reasoning. For example, about 10 years ago I did a postgraduate course in Business that took me a year to complete. Though it was from one of the most prestigious Schools in Spain, when I finished I felt that I wasn't able to apply anything of what I had learned.

In fact, this is one of the reasons why companies don't want to hire recent graduates. They know that a recent graduate won't be able to perform the job in an efficient manner. As no company wanted to hire me because I did not have the experience I had to do an intern-ship within a company and work almost for free so I could gain enough experience for getting a real job. The irony of this is that I decided to expand my education just for that purpose! I thought that getting a good education would provide me with a good job.

Later, I found that what companies want are people with skills. It is sad that prestigious schools and universities focus only on techniques and leave aside the skills. What happens then is that recent graduates are unable to use what they have learned. The paradox is as follows: Companies do not want to hire recent graduates because they don't have necessary skills but graduates won't acquire those skills because companies won't hire them.

This is something that I have realised not long time ago and Sifu was the one that made me understand the difference between techniques and skills. In fact, it took me really a long time to differentiate between techniques and skills. The reason for that is very simple. Never before in my life I have been explained the difference between techniques and skills.

In the past, I have studied a lot of things. I have invested a lot of time and money in my education but I never felt ready for working in a company. That lead me to a lot of frustration as I could not understand why, if I knew the theory, I wasn't able to apply it. I even thought that it might be because I wasn't a good student. I always knew that something was missing but I wasn't able to know what it was because it is a problem of the great majority and nobody was able to answer my question until I found Sifu.

I know that it might sound crazy what I am going to say but I have found that, by Sifu's skills transmission, the techniques that I have learned in my scholar education are becoming alive now! It does not matter if my teachers weren't able to transmit the necessary skills. Being able to differentiate between skills and techniques has allowed me to use what I have learned in past. It has free my knowledge and made it useful. I honestly think that this is actually incredible!

To be continued...
                                Last edited by sancrica; 19 April 2015, 05:11 PM. Reason: mistake :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X