Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 3 Shaolin Hearts

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

I would like to ask all of you a big favor. I have seen some different versions/variations in the 3 Shaolin Hearts along Wahnam. I have this one:

1)The Heart of Confidence:
    Be confident in your Teacher, your Art, and Yourself.

2)The Heart of Determination:
    Be determined to succeed, no matter what happens.

3)The Heart of Perseverance:
    Persevere through the many trials and tribulations, through rain and shine, through summer and winter.

I consider them a very important part of my practice and learning. Maybe some of you have different versions and would like to share them in this Thread. Maybe this version is not the standard in Wahnam. If not, I would kindly ask you to share the "official" version. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Another fine set of 3!

Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Brother Santi!!!

My understanding is that the Three Hearts of Chi Kung training are:

- The Heart of Confidence
      - The Heart of Patience
      - The Heart of Perseverance

I see these three arts as inter-connected and so hugely important as well Santi.

We must have Confidence in our Sifu, our art and with ourselves. This is the foundation on which our correct mindset is built.

We must exercise patience on our journey and not rush ahead of ourselves. A marvellous mystery unfolds in each one of us when our journey in the arts begin. We must let it evolve in its own perfect timing. People recovering from illness through Chi Kung certainly require this heart of Chi Kung.

Even with confidence and patience we must still practice and drive ourselves ever onwards and upwards towards glory. At times when perhaps our journey in the arts is not so pleasant, we must practice and keep on practicing. At times when we may encounter doubt, we must continue to practice. At times when our training may fall apart and we stop practicing, we must pick ourselves up off the proverbial floor and get back practicing. The arts by themselves don't heal us and nourish us. They do it through us as we contine to practice. This is perseverance.

That's my understanding Santi!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

As my memory had it:

Confidence
        Diligence
        Perseverance

Looks like I'll have to go look it up.

Anyone else?
        Charles David Chalmers
        Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Thank You :-)

Dear Friend and Brother Kevin,

Thank you so much for this amazing answer. It is very much appreciated and it makes a lot of sense.

I think that 3 Shaolin Hearts are really helpful and I wanted to make sure that I had the correct version. Thanks again for sharing. :-)

Santiago

Comment

Thank you :-)

Dear Charles Sidai,

Thanks a lot for contributing to this Thread. I see now three different versions. :-)

Interesting to note that "Perseverance" and "Confidence" are always included in these three versions but the other one always differ...

May some more Wahnam members want to contribute and share their versions?

Santiago

Comment

Hi Santi,

I'm not surprised there are a few slight variations in the three hearts: it could be argued that the quality of perseverance involves the incorporates the quality of patience. To keep on persevering does indeed involve a measure of patience.

I looked up patience in the dictionary and got:

pa·tience

[pey-shuhns] noun1.the quality of being patient, as the bearing of provocation, annoyance, misfortune, or pain, withoutcomplaint, loss of temper, irritation, or the like.

2.an ability or willingness to suppress restlessness or annoyance when confronted with delay: to havepatience with a slow learner.

3.quiet, steady perseverance; even-tempered care; diligence: to work with patience.

Regarding Sisook Charles's diligence, I think that is certainly very similar to perseverance. Again, looking it up:

dil·i·gence

1 [dil-i-juhns]

noun1.constant and earnest effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body or mind.

2.Law. the degree of care and caution required by the circumstances of a person.

So I must admit I am somewhat unsure as to the third heart of Chi Kung training!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Dear Kevin,

Thanks a lot for taking the time. It is very much appreciated. It is much clearer now. :-)

Santiago

Comment

From Sifu's Q&A, July 2001:
                  A basic tenet in Chinese medical philosophy is that all treatment starts from the heart, which means the mind in English. Chi kung masters have advised that to have good result you need to have three “hearts” — the heart of confidence, the heart of determination, and the heart of perseverance. You need to be confident of yourself, be determined that you will overcome your problems, and persevere in your effort. If, even before you start to acquire the techniques and skills that will help you to overcome your problems, you cast doubt on your ability, you only make things difficult for yourself.
                  Thanks for the reminder, Siheng.
                  Charles David Chalmers
                  Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Charles Sidai,

Thanks a lot for taking the time and go through the questions and answers that Sifu wrote. You did a very good research as I tried many times before and I couldn't find anything. It is a wonderful answer.

I honestly felt myself that, when the 3 Shaolin Hearts started to get stronger, I started to achieve better results. :-)

Santiago

Comment

My pleasure, dear brother.

Some people may not know that Sifu's website has a google search bar that allows you to search Sifu's website only. It is at the top of the page.

Meanwhile, for your convenience, here is the link to that page, where Sifu talks about the three hearts in answer number 8: http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans01b/jul01-2.html

With All My Best,

Charles
                      Charles David Chalmers
                      Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Sifu's answers

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                        My pleasure, dear brother.

Some people may not know that Sifu's website has a google search bar that allows you to search Sifu's website only. It is at the top of the page.

Meanwhile, for your convenience, here is the link to that page, where Sifu talks about the three hearts in answer number 8: http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans01b/jul01-2.html

With All My Best,

Charles
                        Dear family!

Thank you for coming up with such interesting questions.
                        What always impresses me each time I have a chance to read Sifu's answers to simple or less simple questions is his clear and structured logic combined with a good heart.

I enjoyed reading the Q+As so much that I almost forgot to answer this thread.

:-)

All the best
                        .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
                        “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
                        Hafiz

Comment

Searching today at the Forum I found this old thread. It brought me nice memories! Can't believe it's been 4 years already.

I wonder if anyone happen to know the story of these 3 Shaolin Hearts. How are they connected to the Shaolin Arts? It would be fantastic to know more about their history.

When reading about them again I feel they perfectly crystalize our Shaolin Path. There is an enormous profundity in their simplicity:

1) The Heart of Confidence:
                          Be confident in your Teacher, your Art, and Yourself.

2) The Heart of Determination:
                          Be determined to succeed, no matter what happens.

3) The Heart of Perseverance:
                          Persevere through the many trials and tribulations, through rain and shine, through summer and winter.
                          Do you think that these 3 Hearts is all we need in order to succeed in our training? Would you add anything else?

Santi

Comment

Hi Siheng,

The three hearts are definitely important in our process. While I like including the heart of patience like Siheng Andy did, you could say it's included in the other three.

It's no secret that the spiritual path is full of tests and difficulties, and in my own process three vital principles have been: grit, faith and insight/understanding.

Grit, so that no matter what happens internally or externally I keep moving forward.

Faith in myself and God.

Insight/understanding about the inner path that can be so mysterious and, perhaps most importantly, some insight into the mind so I can maintain clarity and tranquillity during turbulent times. For example, I recently went through some particularly spicy spiritual cleansing, but I'm fortunate to have enough insight into the process to understand what's taking place and get through times like that in a balanced way.

Mucho Guacamole,
                            Andrew
                            Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
                              Hi Siheng,

The three hearts are definitely important in our process. While I like including the heart of patience like Siheng Andy did, you could say it's included in the other three.

It's no secret that the spiritual path is full of tests and difficulties, and in my own process three vital principles have been: grit, faith and insight/understanding.

Grit, so that no matter what happens internally or externally I keep moving forward.

Faith in myself and God.

Insight/understanding about the inner path that can be so mysterious and, perhaps most importantly, some insight into the mind so I can maintain clarity and tranquillity during turbulent times. For example, I recently went through some particularly spicy spiritual cleansing, but I'm fortunate to have enough insight into the process to understand what's taking place and get through times like that in a balanced way.

Mucho Guacamole,
                              Andrew
                              Thanks Sidai for your beautiful answer. When you mentioned about the test and difficulties it came to my mind an inspiring answer that Sifu gave to one of my questions:

A severe test and difficulties I faced in my path towards spiritual cultivation occurred when a chi kung master and some of my own students whom I had nurtured to be masters themselves betrayed me. It was deeply hurting and painful. I remember asking myself many times, especially during long drives alone from Sungai Petani to Taiping to teach chi kung, what wrong had I done that I deserved such betrayals. I also asked Guan Yin Bodh Satt for guidance as well as to give me an answer.

I received a clear answer. I had done no wrong. I lived an exemplary life, guided by the Ten Shaolin laws. I was sincere in teaching the Shaolin arts, in nourishing students and helping others. I concluded that the test and the difficulties were a necessary developmental stage in the making of a true master.

This and later betrayals were invaluable lessons for me in my spiritual cultivation. It made me strong.
                              The complete Q & A can be found here.

Santi

Comment

Working...
                              X