Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin_B View Post
    Thanks for the heads up David!

Okay .. try again. It should be working now...
    Perfect! Excelllllleeeennnnnce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you again Sigung and Kevin Sihing for these vids!
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Thank You for the answer, Kevin, I will.

And thanks for sharing the videos

Comment

With my preparation for, participation in, and post-course down time of last December's epic Dragon Strength, my flexibility training dropped down my list of priorities for some time. And this of course is all good - just as our Kung Fu is alive and can be adapted to meet the needs of a particular scenario, so too are our training aims and objectives. Ploughing on with my flexibility training through the various stages of the Dragon Strength course would have been inviting the risk of serious overtraining, a road I never wish to journey down.

I am happy to report that I am now back training flexibility very regularly - It has in fact become the main aspect of my Chi Kung training in the morning. I have benefited tremendously from it - I feel awake and alive heading into work and the good flowing Chi is like a bright shining light to the ghosts of stress that haunt all office workers in demanding jobs.

While appreciating the phenomena of spread and depth, and also acknowledging that I haven't being training regularly in the morning in the recent past, re-integrating flexibility into my training in the morning has brought me massively positive benefit and one that I am extremely grateful for. This benefit is not about deep spiritual cultivation or some other more lofty aim of our training - it is about the everyday enjoyment of the here and now and in particular, excelling and progressing in one's job in a happy and flowing state.

I've also now lost my blockage against flexibility training and now happily enjoy it.

It's benefit is also spreading out to other aspects of my life and other aspects of my training - but that's a story for another day!

Many blessings to Sigung, Sifu and all the Past Masters for bequeathing us with such wonderful arts.

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Hi, everybody! It is the best of all to be focused on one or two directions... if to undertake everything at once) it is more reasonable (my opinion)... and already on the basis of this result to move further! For example, you work on an extension of legs (twine), means there can be knees and then above further... the most important that I have understood - the more relaxations during exercises on an extension, the is better result.
          The main thing to choose exercises so that they covered all range of the movement of joints and sheaves (longitudinal, cross and rotational)... and don't forget to strengthen and set result konchno... for example statics Chi kung

Comment

Hello all,

the topic here is very important. The art of flexibility should be one of the main thing the education of the Shaolin arts. Not only the legs like the practitioners are doing. The hole body should be flexible as a young bamboo. If we perform our sets or we sparr we come across extrem body position. If you are not flexible you can not perform Shaolin Kung Fu in high level. High level means using your Chi/Qi. Muscles, ligaments and joints should always open in any positioning so are able to use you Qi/Chi not only bodily action. Same in daily life a simply turning around of the upper body can create for short time Qi blockage if you are not flexible enough. Its disturbing the constant smooth flow your vital energy. Lao Tse already said flexibility is a sign of life and stiffness harbinger of death.
            May all beings be happy

Kai
            www.Anicca-Praxis.de

Comment

Excellent post Kai taisihing, I agree wholeheartedly. Western medicine is also starting to realize how important flexibility is, I have been told doctors are starting to recommend flexibility over strength and cardio training to patients for a few years now. Especially for older people being flexible both prevents and lessens fall damage. Safety first.
              When one door closes, another one opens.

Comment

Thank you for raising an important point Kai Siheng.

Flexibility is very important in Shaolin Kungfu (and Taijiquan) in executing movement correctly and in allowing chi to flow freely. From the very basic stance work, to kicks and swift movement; if we are very stiff it will surely affect our performance.

I'd like to know, how many stretch just physically, besides doing our art of flexibility?

Personally I do the five art of flexibility exercises daily. I also like to stretch and work my body purely physically too. The combination of the three: chi kung, kungfu and purely physical training keeps the body in good shape everyday.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland
                Instructor
                nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Thank you for your wonderful contributions.

I love the "Art of Flexibility". As I have to work in front of a computer, the "Art of Flexibility" brings me enormous benefits. Sitting on a chair for very long periods can make my body a bit rigid and I found that the "Art of Flexibility" is a great remedy against it. :-)

I have also experienced that if I am more flexible physically I am more flexible in my behavior (the internal aspect gets greatly influenced by the external aspect).

I don't practice it every day but I do practice it every week and I also take some breaks while working every now and then and do some light stretching before I sit down and continue working again.

Some questions that I would place here that came to my mind:

- Does the "Art of Flexibility" provide/cover all the stretches that are neccesary for our body? Yoga, for example, has a great variety of Asanas providing a lot of postures that stretch different parts of the body. Is it necessary to take the body to such extreme?

- I believe that "Art of Flexibility" incorporates 5. Does, in this case, apply the saying of "in our school often less is more"? What are your thoughts on this?
                  With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

The art of Flexibility is wonderful.It is a part of my personal every day training but I add quite a number of others to our basic flexibility exercises. So all together its around 20-30 Minutes only for the art flexibility. Since I have more focus on it everything in my other Shaolin Arts practice becomes more smooth as well at daily life.
                    May all beings be happy

Kai
                    www.Anicca-Praxis.de

Comment

Dear Santi,

I think the Art of Flexibility exercises are wonderful and cover most important stretches for our body. It opens the chest, back, neck (for more rotation you can add Rotating Head) spine and legs.
                      If there is one thing I would add to ones flexibility regime it would be stretching the muscles around the hip area. All the movements in Art of Flexibility are forward movements and I find that especially with stance training your hip flexors can get very thight.
                      So stretching your hip flexors in addition to all other exercises would be a good idea.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                      Nessa Kahila
                      Shaolin Nordic Finland
                      Instructor
                      nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Originally posted by Kaijet View Post
                        The art of Flexibility is wonderful.It is a part of my personal every day training but I add quite a number of others to our basic flexibility exercises. So all together its around 20-30 Minutes only for the art flexibility. Since I have more focus on it everything in my other Shaolin Arts practice becomes more smooth as well at daily life.
                        Thank you dear Siheng for your inspiring post. :-)

Originally posted by Nessa View Post
                        Dear Santi,

I think the Art of Flexibility exercises are wonderful and cover most important stretches for our body. It opens the chest, back, neck (for more rotation you can add Rotating Head) spine and legs.
                        If there is one thing I would add to ones flexibility regime it would be stretching the muscles around the hip area. All the movements in Art of Flexibility are forward movements and I find that especially with stance training your hip flexors can get very thight.
                        So stretching your hip flexors in addition to all other exercises would be a good idea.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                        Thank you Sije also for you inspiring post. Very kindly appreciated. :-)

Another question that came to my mind while reading your answers:

How about using the 18 Lohan Arts, Hands, Jewels for increasing our flexibility? Can they enhance and contribute to the Art of Flexibility? I found that, for example, "Drawing Knife" from the 18 Lohan Hands enhances greatly the flexibility on my back.

Santi

Comment

"How about using the 18 Lohan Arts, Hands, Jewels for increasing our flexibility? Can they enhance and contribute to the Art of Flexibility? I found that, for example, "Drawing Knife" from the 18 Lohan Hands enhances greatly the flexibility on my back."

Yes, of course you can!
                          If done in a more physical manner, you can add some exercises that contribute to your flexibility. But don't go too deeply into a chi kung state of mind. So as not to over-train.

Nessa

Nessa Kahila
                          Shaolin Nordic Finland
                          Instructor
                          nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

He agrees with Sifu Kai! Flexibility and its development it is important in a complex... but it is necessary to develop relaxation in flexibility, but not flexibility as separate exercise...

Comment

Originally posted by Nessa View Post
                              "How about using the 18 Lohan Arts, Hands, Jewels for increasing our flexibility? Can they enhance and contribute to the Art of Flexibility? I found that, for example, "Drawing Knife" from the 18 Lohan Hands enhances greatly the flexibility on my back."

Yes, of course you can!
                              If done in a more physical manner, you can add some exercises that contribute to your flexibility. But don't go too deeply into a chi kung state of mind. So as not to over-train.

Nessa
                              Thank you dear Sije for your wonderful answer. Very kindly appreciated. :-)

Santi

Comment

The Art of Flexibility is my focus for this next hundred days. Thanks for all the insights.
                                Charles David Chalmers
                                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Working...
                                X