No announcement yet.

365 days of the Art of Flexibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Art of Flexibility helped me tremendously to enhance my vitality and kung fu skills, before and after I started with Shaolin Wahnam. If you are flexible, you can't help but you feel young and active. In my kung fu training for a long time I spent more time on flexibility training than on patterns, combat-sequences and sets. It is absolute basic like stance training. It enhances your speed (both of your foot work and of the kicks) and the power of your kicks. Without proper flexibility training your kicks will never reach its full potential.

The Art of Flexibility contributed (and still does) a lot to my kung fu level I have today. I find it so important that for kung fu I put it on the same level of importance as stance training.

Comment

Many thanks to Sigung for alowing these videos to be publically released, and also thanks to Kevin Sihing for posting.

My flexibility training tonight was much improved by going a lot slower than I had been doing it. It is the little things that can be forgotten over time which are the most important it seems...
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Flexiness

Dear Brother Kevin, we met at the Legacy of the Bodhidharma Course in Oslow a few years ago. This is an awesome thread and one dear to my heart, flexibility has always been am issue for me since I stuffed up my pelvis many years ago doing hard external martial arts. The Art of Flexibility exercises that Sifu taught during the Kung Fu Intensives have been such a help in loosening up my pelvic region. Plus finally coming to the realization that doing it slowly deeply and relaxed was the way to success and was a massive gear changer for me. I have alway held allot of emotional business in my hips and pelvis so these wonderful patterns along with the waist rotating in Tai Chi Chuan has been an amazing help for my body and my emotional letting going of ness

Great Stuff

Warmest regards

Séan

Comment

Ok 10->20 reps each, and slower for the next 365 days. Lets see how it goes!

Comment

Thank you for the lovely contributions everyone! I am very happy that people are enjoying the thread and benefitting from it. I will post another video from the Intensive in 2012 before the end of the week.

Originally posted by Seán Grame View Post
            Dear Brother Kevin, we met at the Legacy of the Bodhidharma Course in Oslow a few years ago. This is an awesome thread and one dear to my heart, flexibility has always been am issue for me since I stuffed up my pelvis many years ago doing hard external martial arts. The Art of Flexibility exercises that Sifu taught during the Kung Fu Intensives have been such a help in loosening up my pelvic region. Plus finally coming to the realization that doing it slowly deeply and relaxed was the way to success and was a massive gear changer for me. I have alway held allot of emotional business in my hips and pelvis so these wonderful patterns along with the waist rotating in Tai Chi Chuan has been an amazing help for my body and my emotional letting going of ness

Great Stuff

Warmest regards

Séan
            Hi Seán, I remember you very well! And I remember your Father very well too. The Legacy of Bodhidharma - what a wonderful and magical experience. Unique among all the wonderful Chi Kung courses I have had the privilage of attending.

I am very happy you are enjoying the thread. Your experience again illustrates the power of these seemingly simple patterns. I am very happy to hear of the wonderful benefits you have enjoyed these past few years.

Hopefully we'll meet again sometime soon Seán... who knows, maybe before the end of the year ...

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Ronny View Post
              The Art of Flexibility helped me tremendously to enhance my vitality and kung fu skills, before and after I started with Shaolin Wahnam. If you are flexible, you can't help but you feel young and active. In my kung fu training for a long time I spent more time on flexibility training than on patterns, combat-sequences and sets. It is absolute basic like stance training. It enhances your speed (both of your foot work and of the kicks) and the power of your kicks. Without proper flexibility training your kicks will never reach its full potential.

The Art of Flexibility contributed (and still does) a lot to my kung fu level I have today. I find it so important that for kung fu I put it on the same level of importance as stance training.
              Wonderful post Sisook Ronny. Thank you for sharing.

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Thank you for the Video, the Art of Flexibility helps young and old people and also people who don't practice tai chi!

Greetings
                Mariangela

Comment

Great thread, Kevin, and an excellent reminder to train Three Levels to Ground s l o w l y!

I usually include Rotating Knees and Hula Hoop in my flexibility exercises.

Best,
                  Jeffrey Segal

Comment

Thank you Kevin for starting tis thread.

The Art of Flexibility and specially, 3 Levels to the Ground, are wonderful,....your post inspires me to go back to practise these exercises (which I´ve been neglecting for years).
                    Daniel Pérez
                    http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

The art of flexibility became a part of my daily training after Sifu Omar teached me horse stance\golden bridge. I was trying to train horse stance on my own before, but I couldn't hold the position for more then 3-4 minutes. Close to 5 I was totally exousted, tired and ''broken''. My legs became bigger, started to look like a football player legs. After meeting with Sifu I understood that I was doing everything wrong.... Thank You Sifu for all the advices, they are priceless... the difference is incredible. Right now, after about 3 months I can easily hold the position for more then 10-15 minutes (presonal rekord, checked ''just for fun'' was a bit over 21 minutes).

Legs arent getting bigger, they are relaxed, but much, much stronger.
                      I do all the exercises described in ''The Art Of Shaolin Kung Fu'' (starting with Three Levels To The Ground, Dancing Crane, Lohan Taking Off Shoes, Saint Embracing Feet, Dragon Fly and Lohan Touching Earth at the end). The progress is just amazing. In just 3 months my body is more relaxed then after a year with yoga I was trying some years ago. I am getting deeper and deeper in every of this positions and the body is more relaxed and energized every day.

Could You be that kind and tell me what should I do when I reach the end point of the exercise (foe exemple – Lohan Touchoing Earth – what should I do when my palms are laying flat on the groung, should I try to do something like this?

http://www.yogabayou.com/asanas/uttanasana

Or maybe just stop there and stay in position for longer period of time and relax?)

Thank You Sifu, Sigong and all the Shaolin Brothers and Sisters. It is a honour to train with You this precious art.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_couchalot View Post

Could You be that kind and tell me what should I do when I reach the end point of the exercise (foe exemple – Lohan Touchoing Earth – what should I do when my palms are laying flat on the groung, should I try to do something like this?

http://www.yogabayou.com/asanas/uttanasana

Or maybe just stop there and stay in position for longer period of time and relax?)
                        Hi Karl,

Thanks for the post. I am happy to hear the benefits you are gaining from these wonderful arts.

Regarding your question, no you should not do what is shown in the pictures you linked to. You should practice as your Sifu has taught you.

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Segal View Post
                          Great thread, Kevin, and an excellent reminder to train Three Levels to Ground s l o w l y!

I usually include Rotating Knees and Hula Hoop in my flexibility exercises.

Best,
                          Thank you for your post Sisook, and thank you for the tip as well! I will include these in my flexability training for the next while and see how it goes.

I think a list of all the patterns from our Wahnam Syllabus that train flexibility would bea good idea ... stay tuned!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Dear family,

Here is another video from the Intensive Taijiquan course of April 2012 in Penang: Sigung demonstrating Dancing Crane, the second wonderful Art of Flexibility Chi Kung pattern.

Thank you Sigung!

Enjoy ...

Comment

Hi Sihing, that dancing crane video is set to private.
                              Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Originally posted by David Langford View Post
                                Hi Sihing, that dancing crane video is set to private.
                                Thanks for the heads up David!

Okay .. try again. It should be working now...

Comment

Working...
                                X