Zen Stories : Dr. D.T. Suzuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen Stories : Dr. D.T. Suzuki

Story 1 : A member of the audience once asked Dr. Suzuki during a lecture , “ When you use the word ‘reality’ , are you referring to the relative reality of the physical world , or to the absolute reality of the transcendental world ? “ . Suzuki closed his eyes and went into that characteristic attitude which some of his students call “ doing a Suzuki” , for no one could tell whether he was in deep meditation or fast asleep . After about a minute’s silence , though it seemed longer , he opened his eyes and said , “ Yes ”.

Story 2 : During a class on the basic principles of Buddhism by Dr. Suzuki : “ This morning we come to the 4 th Noble Truth …called Noble 8-fold Path. First step of 8-fold path is Right View …which is having no special view , no fixed view . Second step is….( and here there was a long pause ) . Oh , I forget second step . You look it up in the book . “

Story 3 : During D. T. Suzuki's address to the final meeting of the 1936 World Congress of Faiths at the old Queen's Hall in London. The theme was “The Supreme Spiritual Ideal,” and after several speakers had delivered themselves of volumes of hot air, Suzuki's turn came to take the platform. “When I was first asked,” he said, “to talk about the Supreme Spiritual Ideal, I did not exactly know what to answer.
    Firstly, I am just a simple-minded countryman from a far away corner of the world suddenly thrust into the midst of this hustling city of London, and I am bewildered and my mind refuses to work in the same way that it does when I am in my own land.
    Secondly, how can a humble person like myself talk about such a grand thing as the Supreme Spiritual Ideal?...
    Really I do not know what Spiritual is, what Ideal is, and what Supreme Spiritual Ideal is.”
    Whereupon he devoted the rest of his speech to a description of his house and garden in Japan, contrasting it with the life of a great city. This from the translator of the Lankavatara Sutra! And the audience gave him a standing ovation.
    Attached Files
    Damian Kissey
    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Dear Siheng,

I love stories. Thank you for sharing them with us - I found myself smiling and chuckling .

In the same vein I will share two stories I have found useful:

Story 1: A Tibetan Rinpoche was visiting Germany and running a retreat with teachings, reflections and meditations on Tara. At one point during the week someone put their hand up and said something like "I enjoy these teachings but before I can continue I need to know if Tara is real". In the same way as Dr. Suzuki, the Rinpoche closed his eyes for some time before opening them and saying "Tara knows she isn't real".

Story 2: [This story was told to me by an old Irish chap I know - he was actually there] A peace rally was being held in London. The idea was for people of all types of faiths and understanding to come together in the cause of peace. My friend said it went very well, people shared some wonderful ideas and were effortlessly polite and respectful towards one another. In the evening there was a big concert where lots of famous musicians from around the world performed. At some point a famous Sitar player took the stage. Apparently he sat there as the audience went quiet and then kept just sitting there for some time afterwards. He then played what seemed to be some random notes for a minute or two. Then stopped. Just as the audience were getting restless he began playing a recognisable tune. The audience quietened down and he stopped again. So it went on for some time. Some of the audience got very restless. People eventually began to call out, talk amongst themselves, even arguing and a bit of pushing and shoving eventually started. My friend said he watched some 'monks' get increasingly agitated, looking almost offended and eventually walked out. When my friend told me this he quietly shook his head ... "at a peace conference".

With metta,

Barry
    Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
    Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
    Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
    UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
    sigpic

Comment

few of my favorite stories is from a different person sharing the same last name, Shunryu Suzuki Roshi:

1) A man at his lectures asked: "You say that Zen is everywhere. Why do we have to come to the Zen center?"
      And Suzuki Roshi replied: "Yes, Zen is everywhere. But for you, Zen is right here"

2) In a meditation retreat a student repeated what Suzuki said in a lecture. Hearing this Suzuki shook his head.
      "No?" the student said "but you said.."
      Suzuki replied: "When I said it, it was true. When you said it, it was false"

3)when a student told Suzuki about his experience dissolving in amazing spaciousness, he replied: "Yes, you could call that enlightenment. But it´s best to forget about it. And how´s your work coming?"

Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
      Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
      http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
      http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
      http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Working...
      X