Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on treating a popliteal cyst (also known as Baker's Cyst)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on treating a popliteal cyst (also known as Baker's Cyst)

Dear family,

I have just had an ultrasound confirming that I have a popliteal cyst (also known as a Baker's Cyst) on my left leg.

Over the last month I have experienced a swelling in my lower left leg between my ankle and lower calf, some sensation (not really pain) at the front right and also the rear of my knee.

I had a blood test to eliminate the possibility of DVT (success).

There have been some changes to my qigong practice over the last 6 months. I have introduced patterns from the 18 Lohan Arts, have regularly been practicing exercises from the Art of Flexible Legs, learning and practicing some Tajiquan (cloud hands grasp sparrow tail). A significant increase in movement has occurred in my legs over this time.

Since the initial swelling was noticed, I have been practicing Carry the Moon and Cosmic Shower several times a week as well as allowing patterns to come to my awareness just before a practice session as appropriate patterns. This has often delivered Divine Crane Rotates Knees, Nourishing Kidneys or Lifting the Sky. I have been continuing with the above-mentioned exercises on my morning session, 5 days out of 7.

[My current Qigong toolbox includes 18 Lohan Hands, Cosmic Shower, Flicking Fingers, Bone Marrow Cleansing and Small Universe.]

I will hear from my Doctor on next steps in the coming days.

I would sincerely appreciate any advice on the most cost effective method to accelerate healing this cyst?

Thank you for your advice and guidance.

Matthew
    With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

My first thoughts are building energy at the kidneys and flowing energy down the legs.

- Nourishing Kidneys (remembering to gently focus at the ming men after chi flow).

- Bear Walk is great for getting the chi to flow down and clear blockages in the legs, even more so than more obvious patterns which utilise the legs (if you don't know Bear Walk then I would use self-manifested chi flow instead).

- Plucking Stars is another pattern that promotes endocrine/immune system balance.

If it is a significant problem I would recommend checking in with one of the local Instructors in the S.E. of England.

Best,
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Hi Brother Matthew,

you really have a big toolbox:
      [My current Qigong toolbox includes 18 Lohan Hands, Cosmic Shower, Flicking Fingers, Bone Marrow Cleansing and Small Universe.]
      My first thought was: maybe you are thinking too much of what to practice out of this box?

My personal opinion - (and my 5 years Chi Kung box of exercises is still quite small, since I didn't even learn all 18 Lohans ...) - is, due to my own experiences: Just practice what in this moment is coming to your mind. Grandmaster Wong says "Don't worry, enjoy your practice" - and his words are really precious!

To my opinion: At least a good idea is to visit your Sifu. Besides, if you find a reputated TCM doctor he could perhaps give you actual relief. An excellent idea would be to consult a certified Wahnam healer. And the very best idea is to attend a course with our Grandmaster ...

Cordial regards,
      Dorit
      ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

Thank you

Thank you Andy Sisook.

Thank you Dorit Siguma/Siguje (I'm unsure of your address as we both started in 2009, February for me).

I am familiar with Bear Walk and I will be seeing Mark Appleford Sisook in the near future.

I felt posting on the forum might benefit others as well as me. I will post on my progress.

With love and Shaolin salute.

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
          Thank you Dorit Siguma/Siguje (I'm unsure of your address as we both started in 2009, February for me).
          Dear Matthew,
          I am a bit unsure about correct adressing as well. - Anyway, we are brother and sister. I think this is a good adressing!

Have a wonderful time, and keep your head free of too many thoughts. This is something I am getting across again and again - and probably you too ... - but I always have our Sifu in mind: "Don't worry, enjoy your practice"!

Cordial Shaolin greetings,

Dorit
          ... alles, alles, alles ist doch auf Liebe aufgebaut ..." (Ellen Auerbach, 1997)

Comment

Best wishes for your healing progress Matthew

Jacek

Comment

Dear Matthew,

I am sorry to hear about your knee problem. Over the years I could gain experience treating knee problems successfully with Chi Kung.

As a thematic approach I thought my students the following exercises from the 18 Lohan Hands:

- Rotating Knees
              - Three Levels To The Ground
              - Deep Knee Bending

One of my students Thomas had quite a severe inflamation of one of his knees due to an injury. I led him into a Chi Kung state of mind and opened him some vital points. Mark Siheng may help you with that for sure as well he is a very dedicated and skillful Healer.

After a Chi Flow, I actually I asked him to perform Deep Knee Bending straight on. I remember clearly his facial expression and his first thought, that while his knee is swolen and inflamed he should perform quite a demanding knee exercise straight on?

I could help him clearing the worries fast, as I made a simple adjustment, that he could use the wall to make the movements more comfortably and asked him to enhance gradually his knee flexion range within 15-20 reps.

He was amazed thatt within only one session he would be able to notice a reduction of his pain (from 8 to 2 after Borg scale) and also the swelling drastically. Within 2 weeks he was completely pain free and the swelling was gone. I believe, as an in Western medicin educated therapist, that he had a serious injury of some of the ligaments (collateral medialis ones) and an affected meniscus medialis including an effected capsula.

Your case may be different though the Baker's cyst is considered as an effected joint situation from an injury (which you may not even have noticed) and or an over usage of the joint. The inspirational thing is that even in Western medicin the Baker's cyst does not have to be operated, unless the symtoms are overwhelmingly negative.

I think Chi Kung provides an excellent way to overcome that problem relatively easy. Even if it's not even connected with the knee at the end it's a energy blockage as we all know.

It may be also inspirational that I had a serious knee unjury by myself as well a few years ago. You may have a good laugh from your heart Matt that it happened while trying to meditate back then when I was trying to proof myself something and trying to be smarter than the masters in the single lotus position.

I took me quite some months to attain the single lotus as my legs although very strong, were quite stiff. I entered my position relaxed relaxed relaxed with every breath more until my mind was very clear when ironically in my left knee there was this horrible sound of kracking. Needless to say that my ligament said good bye and also decided to let go. Unfortunalely some letting go is too much. I actually ripped my lateral ligament. How can I say so? Well I can tell cause of direct experience, lThe pain was horrible and I also noticed a huge swelling. I immidiately performed Three Levels To The Ground and of course I enjoyed a Chi Flow and continued doing so for the next two weeks with marvellous results. I was a top athlete and I suffered from many injuries. Normally a ligament rupture depending on the severity of rupture takes about 4-8 weeks to recover if not other tissues are involved.

Actually the day after the accident I thought a Kung Fu class and the students could not notice any restriction at all.

Best regards,

Roland
              "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
              Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Thank you

Dear Sister Dorit,
                Thank you for your kind words of support.

Dear Jacek,
                Thank you for your well wishes.

Dear Roland Sipak,
                Thanks for your suggestions and stories of your student and your own injury. The results for your student are inspiring as is your speedy recovery from your ligament problem.

You are quite right about the issue not being too serious or even noticeable at first! In fact, it was not the knee which brought this to my attention but the swelling in my lower calf/upper ankle. I certainly don’t want to go for surgery when I can clear it with qigong. I also don't want it bursting either, and causing necessary pain.

Sifu Andrew has also kindly sent me a message when I first posted this thread.

Thank you all for your suggestions and support.

PROGRESS REPORT:
                I firmly believe that the swelling, slight pain and twinges are already reducing due to my qigong practice. I will continue over the coming weeks and post on progress as the problem is eliminated.

Comment

Dear Matthew,

Funnily there is another inspirational story I can share using our Chi Kung for that kind of problems.

I remember clearly Sifu coming to Switzerland for courses when Sifu by himself whenever he left a car or would stand up out a chair would have three steps somehow not moving roundly and then it was gone. He conducted a Kung Fu/Taijiquan course and students would never guess he had an injury before he came to us.

Sifu told me later that he actually ripped something in his knee. I guess it was somwhere in the Netherlands, but I am not sure about it. I just know that maybe it was Dr. Daniel from Belgium who diagnosed that at place.

Sifu told me he would perform Three Levels To The Ground. And the problem was solved within a few days. Actually at the end of the Swiss courses you would not notice any difference at all even in his first few steps out of a chair or the car after sitting.

Best regards,

Roland
                  "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                  Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

I remeber that occasion very well, Roland. Sifu had damaged his knee when performing an extremely powerful kick during the UK Summer Camp. As Roland, said, you would never have noticed after a couple of days.
                    Sifu Andrew Barnett
                    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Brief progress report on Baker's Cyst

Dear family,

Thank you again for all your previous suggestions and help. I also saw Sifu Mark Appleford in person who confirmed the advice received.

I wanted to provide a brief update on my progress so far.

I have continued to practice 3 Circle Stance and a selection of the 18 Lohan Arts as part of my force training. I have also continued my flexible legs practice and incorporated the healing aspects for the cyst.

Regarding the healing application I have incorporated Bear Walk, Lifting the Sky, Lift Heels Bend Knees, Three Levels to the Ground in various combinations (for variety) as a self manifested chi flow group. I have experienced volume and vigour of chi flowing to the legs and the knee in particular which I have allowed to happen without specifically directing it.

At first the bump behind my knee seemed to get bigger and the lower leg continued to swell just as it had done before. When reaching the lowest point in either Three Levels to the Ground or Lift Heels Bend Knees I could really feel the cyst - even more than before. After 4-5 days the lower leg swelling diminished and the bump behind my knee has also. I can't confirm the cyst is gone completely but it's definitely not an issue any more. There's no pain or swelling. A slight niggling pain in the inside front of my knee has also reduced and is only slightly noticeable sometimes.

I am continuing the practice until I am sure it is completely gone.

A lovely benefit of this has been that it's been great to do these leg exercises as chi kung rather than simply for flexibility and I am feeling a lot more chi flow in my legs now whatever pattern/technique I may be using.

I'll post again in future to confirm the matter is resolved.

Comment

Nice
                        Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                        Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                        Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                        - ancient wisdom

Comment

Well done, Matthew
                          Sifu Andrew Barnett
                          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

The Shaolin arts don't make us invincible, but they do help us recover against the odds.
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Matt, very happy to hear your progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X