Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-Animal Play Question 10 - Part 1

Question 10

What are the additional benefits for students who have already the skills, for example, to generate an energy flow, to go into self-manifested-chi-movements, to activate a cosmic shower or any other advanced skill, by learning the Five Animals Play?

Could you please explain the processes or rather reasons which lead to these additional benefits?

Sifu Roland

Answer

One obvious benefit is to know another famous art invented by a famous master.

Five-Animal Play is a very famous set of chi kung exercise. The inventor, Hua Tuo, was a very famous physician and chi kung master. Even if there were no other benefits, knowing a famous art invented by a famous master is sufficient reason to learn it.

At the very least, when someone asks, “Have you heard of Five-Animal Play?” we can answer, “Yes, not only I have heard about this very famous chi kung, but have learnt it.”

When someone asks, “Have you heard of Hua Tua?” we can answer, “Yes, not only I have heard about this great master, known as the Sage of Chinese Medicine, I also have practiced the set of chi kung exercises invented by him to promote health and longevity, known as Five-animal Play.”

But there are other benefits, more practical than merely having practiced a famous art invented by a famous master.

Five-animal Play was the seminal art for what is now called self-manifested chi movement. In other words, from what chi kung books and classics tell us, there were no external chi flow movements manifested from chi kung techniques before Five-Animal Play was invented. But since its invention and subsequent practice, practitioners manifested chi flow movements externally. Over centuries these outward chi flow movements became more and more vigorously, and today this type of chi kung practice has become a genre known as self-manifested chi movement.

It is worthwhile to note that while chi flow manifested externally is common in our school, it is rare in all other schools except those schools that specially practice a genre of chi kung called self-manifested chi movement. These schools that specially practice self-manifested chi movement are uncommon. We do not specially call our type of chi kung, self-manifested chi movement or Five-Animal Play. We call our chi kung Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung, and self-manifested chi movement and Five-animal Play are two types of our extensive repertoire.

It is a great benefit to know both the starting point and the concluding point (at the present moment) of this great genre of chi kung. By comparing the start and the completion, or tracing its development, we can get benefits that we may not be aware of at the moment, but will prove to be very useful when the relevant situations arise.

When Five-Animal Play was popularly practiced in the past, it was more know for maintaining health and for curing diseases. Hua Tuo’s students who practiced Five-Animal Play were recorded to have strong teeth and sharp eyesight even at 90!
    Daniel Pérez
    http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

Dear Sifu,

Mile Bhuiochas for this very beautiful thread on 5 Animal Play. Thank you for your wisdom and generosity and for so patiently answering everybody's questions. It is another classic and treasure in the 10 Questions to the Grandmaster series.

I look forward so much to learning 5 Animal play in Barcelona next week.

Dear Daniel Siheng,

Thank you for starting and facilitating the thread. It has been a pleasure reading such a treasure! I look forward to meeting you, Adalia Sije and many of my Spanish and international family next week.

Thank you also to Adalia Sije for asking Sifu for the 5 Animal Play. We are very blessed.

With deepest respect,
      Joan
      Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
      GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
      ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
      THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Joan,

I´m glad you´re enjoying this thread, sure we´ll enjoy more the course.

See you next week!

5-Animal Play Question 10 - Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

We have, I believe, brought Five-Animal Play, or its modern equivalent, self-manifested chi flow, to a new higher level. While maintaining its excellent health promoting quality, we have used it to overcome so-called incurable diseases, a great benefit, I believe, not available in the past, or at least not highlighted as we do now.

Practicing Five-Animal Play will enable us understand the reasons, and to experience the processes of this remarkable development. Practicing Five-Animal Play will lead to chi flow that is manifested as external movements. Depending on conditions of various internal organs and meridian systems, these external chi flow movements are manifested differently, and can be classified into five major types.

Movements resembling those of a bird are related to the heart, of a deer are related to the liver, of a monkey are related to the spleen, of a tiger are related to the lungs, and of a bear are related to the kidneys. When many people are perform Five-Animal Play at the same time, like during the coming Barcelona course, we can assess how valid is this philosophy.

If there are variations of differences, we can also find out from direct experience, what are the reasons. In this way, we can enrich both our understanding and practice of not only Five-Animal Play in particular but also chi kung as the whole. This is an invaluable benefit we can derive from taking part in the Five-Animal Play course in Barcelona. We become history in the making – for our own benefit as well as the benefit of posterity.

From the thematic dimension of chi flow, i.e. different types of chi flow due to different organ or meridian systems, we progress to the holistic dimension, i.e. chi flow for holistic health instead of specific organs or meridians. In other words, we progress from being concerned that chi flow movements resemble those of a bird or a bear, thus indicating or overcoming problems at the heart or the kidneys, to generating a holistic chi flow for health, vitality and longevity. We do not need to know what diseases our students or patients suffer from. As long as they have a good chi flow consistently, they will overcome their diseases, whatever they may be. If they are already healthy, they will have vitality and longevity.

Those who already have the skills to generate an energy flow or to go into self-manifested chi movement, have the benefits at the concluding end of this chi kung development. Those who learn the Five-Animal Play will have additional benefits of understanding and experiencing the source or beginning.

There is a debate still going on regarding whether Five-Animal Play refers to exercises imitating movements of five animals, or chi flow movements manifested from chi kung exercises. In other words, do the five animals refer to the cause or the effect of the art.

In the coming Five-Animal Play course in Barcelona, I shall employ both approaches. I shall teach exercises imitating movements of the five animals, and see what type of chi flow movements will be manifested and how these movements relate to the health conditions of the participants. Those attending the course will have additional benefits of understanding more deeply and from direct experience the reasons and processes involved in overcoming illness and promoting health, vitality and longevity.

The coming Five-Animal Play course in Barcelona will be both educational and enjoyable.
        Daniel Pérez

Comment

In the coming Five-Animal Play course in Barcelona, I shall employ both approaches. I shall teach exercises imitating movements of the five animals, and see what type of chi flow movements will be manifested and how these movements relate to the health conditions of the participants. Those attending the course will have additional benefits of understanding more deeply and from direct experience the reasons and processes involved in overcoming illness and promoting health, vitality and longevity.

The coming Five-Animal Play course in Barcelona will be both educational and enjoyable.

A golden opportunity!

Best Wishes to all Course participants,
          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
          - ancient wisdom

Comment

5-Animal Play Question 11 - Part 1

Question 11

Is 5 Animals Play a technique or a skill?

I'm asking this because I wonder whether it is possible for someone who has already acquired the skill of having a Chi Flow to spontaneously perform one of the movements from 5 Animals Play in a vigorous Self-Manifested Movement.

Jacek

Answer

There are two schools of thought regarding Five-Animal Play. The orthodox school, which has been traditionally accepted throughout centuries, is that Huo Tua imitated the movements of five animals and taught them as Five-Animal Play. In this case, Five-Animal Play is a set of techniques. Students perform techniques resembling movements of five different animals to maintain health.

In the other school, which started as a result of archaeological finds in the 20th century, Hua Tuo taught his students chi kung exercises which manifested as chi flow movements that resembled five animals. In this case, Five-Animal Play is a set of skills. The type of chi flow movements manifested depended on the conditions of the practitioners’ internal organs. In other words, the exercises taught were the same, but the movements manifested were different. There was no mention of what exercises were taught.

In both schools of thought, the five animals are the same. They are the bird, the deer, the monkey, the tiger and the bear.

In the technique-approach, exercises resembling movements of the bird affect the heart, resembling movements of the deer affect the liver, resembling movements of the monkey affect the spleen, resembling the movements of the tiger affect the lungs, and resembling the movements of the monkey affect the kidneys.

In this approach, when a patient is diagnosed as suffering from a disease related to a particular organ or meridian system, exercises resembling the movements of the appropriate animal will be taught to him. For example, if he has a heart problems, he will be taught exercises resembling movements of a bird.

In the skill-approach, chi flow movements resembling those of a bird are influenced by conditions of the heart, resembling those of a deer are influenced by conditions of the liver, resembling those of a monkey are influenced by conditions of the spleen, resembling those of a tiger are influenced by conditions of the lungs, and resembling those of a bear are influenced by conditions of the kidneys.

In this approach, the chi flow movements resembling a particular animal indicate that a related organ or meridian system is diseased, and that chi is working to overcome a problem in that organ or meridian. For example, if a student or patient manifests the movements of a bird, it sows that he has a heart problem, and that chi is working on his heart to overcome the problems.
            Daniel Pérez

Comment

5-Animal Play Question 11 - Part 2

(Continued from Part 1)

Someone may ask, “Why does a patient suffering from a heart problem manifest chi flow movements resembling those of a bird?”

This was discovered by past masters over many centuries. As an analogy, it was discovered that when people were thirsty, they would manifest a desire to drink some water. Past masters, for example, discovered from empirical evidence over many centuries that patients with heart problems would manifest movements of a bird in their spontaneous chi flow.

Or someone may ask, “Why does performing exercises resembling movements of a bird contribute to the well-being of the heart?”

Again, this was discovered by past masters over many centuries. As an analogy, it was discovered by people that if a person drank some water he would quench is thirst. Past masters discovered, for example, that by performing exercises resembling movements of a brid, it would contribute to the well-being of his heart.

Yes, it is not only possible but also very likely that a person who already has the skill of generating a chi flow to perform movements from Five-Animal Play, and have some vigorous self-manifested movements. In practical terms this mean it is possible to every student in our school, as every student in our school has the skill to generate a chi flow.

It is worthy of note that generating a chi flow is a rare skill, though it is common in our school. In other words, although every student in our school can generate a chi flow, most students of most other schools cannot generate a chi flow.

So, for any student of our school, when he performs chi kung exercises resembling movements of a bird, he will have a vigorous chi flow. This is the technique approach.

Will his manifested chi flow movements resemble the movements of a bird? This will depend on a few factors.

If he does not have any health problem, presuming all other things were equal, his manifested chi movements will resemble those of a bird because his techniques induce this type of movements. If he has a heart problem, his manifested bird movements will be more pronounced. If he has a lung problem, even when the techniques he used were movements of a bird, his manifested chi movements will resemble those of a tiger.

If he performs any chi kung exercises but not those resembling movements of any of the five animals, he will have a vigorous chi flow. If he does not have any health problems related to his internal organs or meridians, his manifested chi flow movements may not resemble any of the animals. But if he has a heart problem, his manifested chi flow movements will resemble those of a bird. If he has a lung problem, his manifested chi flow movements will resemble those of a tiger.

However, even when he does not have any problems related to his organs, if he thinks of his heart, his manifested chi movements will resemble those of a bird. If he thinks of his lungs, even when he has no lung problems, his manifested chi movements will resemble those of a tiger. This is because like all our students, he operates chi kung at the mind level. By thinking of his heart or any other organ, he generates chi flow to that organ, and manifests external chi flow movements accordingly.

Most other students of other chi kung schools do not have these skills. If they think of their heart or any organ, nothing will happen. They cannot even generate a chi flow in the first place.
              Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sigung

Thank you very much for kindly answering my question.

Dear Sifu Daniel

Thank you for managing this Q&A!

With gratitude and Shaolin Salute

Jacek

Comment

Dear Daniel Sehing,

It looks like Question 2 is missing - could you please post the answer for that?

Best wishes,
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Dear George,

Thanks for telling me it was missing, here it is:

5-Animal Play Question 2
                    Question 2

In your outstanding book “The Complete Book of Chinese Medicine“, you share Liang Shi Feng’s instructions to the Five Animal Play which consists of pressing two major energy points and extensive visualization. Will the Five Animal Play you are going to teach be a crystallization and easier to perform, as usual?

Besides the obvious technical difference, is there a difference in the outcome between Five Animal Play induced by visualization and practicing a set of 3 exercises like we do to induce self-manifested chi-movement?

What diagnostic findings can a chi kung healer draw from observing a student’s chi flow movements? Should he prescribe exercises focusing on the specific organ manifested in the spontaneous movements afterwards?

Sifu Leo, Austria

Answer

Yes, the Five-Animal Play I shall teach will be a crystallization of the two main approaches of the Five-Animal Play that are usually taught and are still a heated topic in debate.

In the past, people thought that Hua Tuo observed the movements of the bird, the deer, the monkey, the tiger and the bear, and taught these movements to students or patients. This is the main approach of teaching Five-Animal Play today.

I have a few books on Five-animal Play, and all of them adopt this approach. However, I found that the patterns looked quite alike. Patterns showing bird movements, for example, are not very different from patterns showing deer movement.

I recalled a similar scenario in patterns showing different animal forms in the Shaolin Five Animals of Shaolin Kungfu. Patterns showing dragon movements, for example, are not very different from patterns showing snake movements. Later I discovered that it was the inner spirit, and not the outward forms, that are important. In other words, although the outward forms of the dargan and the snake are alike, their inner spirit is different. The dragon spirit trains mind whereas the snake spirit trains energy.

Recent archaeological discoveries in China gave a different approach to the Five-Animal Play. The discoveries suggested that the different animal forms referred not to the exercises Hua Tuo taught patients or students, but to the chi flow movements as a result of performing the exercises. Hua Tuo might teach a same exercise to a group of patients, but depending on their body constituents due to their illness, the resultant chi flow movements were different.

There were countless different movements, but all of them could be generalized into five representative types, symbolized by the bird, the deer, the monkey, the tiger and the bear. This is the approach we use in our school.

Yes, the Five-Animal Play I am going to teach will be a crystallization of these two approaches. I intend to choose, or devise if appropriate exercise are not ready available, exercises that resemble movements of the five animals. These exercises have not been taught in our school before.

As a result of performing these exercises, course participants will have a chi flow. We shall examine what categories of the five animals we can classify these chi flow movements, and examine whether these resultant chi flow movements have any relationship with any disease the participants may have, and with the type of exercises they performed. Not only it will be fun, it will also add to the body of knowledge concerning the Five-Animal Play. The course may create history.

Yes, there should be a difference in the outcome between the Five-Animal Play induced by visualization and a set of three exercises we use to induce self-manifested chi movement. This is because the mind, operated by visualization, is the most important factor influencing the type of chi flow. We shall assess this relationship between the mind and the chi flow movements in the coming Five-animal Play course.

There should also be a difference in the chi flow between using exercises that imitate movements of certain animals and using general exercises without any reference to the animals. This is because the type of exercises we perform also influences the type of resultant chi flow. Again we shall access this relationship during the coming course.

A skillful healer can have a good idea of a student’s health problems by observing the student’s chi flow. This is because chi issuing from different organs and meridian will result in characteristic chi flow movements.

For example, chi from the heart, the intestines, the heart meridian and the intestine meridian will manifest movements resembling those of a bird. Chi from the liver, the gall bladder, the liver meridian and the gall bladder meridian will manifest movements resembling those of a deer. Chi from the spleen, the stomach, the spleen meridian and the stomach meridian will manifest movements resembling those of a monkey.

Chi from the lungs, the colon, the lung meridian and the colon meridian will manifest movements resembling those of a tiger. Chi from the kidneys, the urinary bladder, the kidney meridian and the urinary bladder meridian will manifest movements resembling those of a bear.

Hence, by observing a patient’s chi flow movements, a skillful healer can know what organs or meridians are affected, and therefore what illness is involved. For example, if a patient moves like a bird, but does not have its vibrancy or lifelines, the healer may suspect that the patient’s heart, small intestines, heart meridian or small intestine meridian is involved.

The healer may prescribe exercises focusing on the patient’s respective organs and meridians. In this example, he may focus on the patient’s heart, small intestines, heart meridian and small intestine meridian. But he must not neglect other possibilities, like the symptoms may be manifested in these organs and meridians, but the root cause may be somewhere else. He must also be on guard that his judgment may be wrong.

These setbacks are not present in our chi kung healing! In our situation, once we help a patient generate a chi flow, the chi will automatically flow to where it is needed most urgently! We do not even have to make a diagnosis; we just have to get the patient have a chi flow. This may sound ridiculous, but it is true. We have used this philosophy to help countless patients overcome so-called incurable diseases.
                    Daniel Pérez

Comment

Thank you - a bonus gem for everyone.
                      George / Юра
                      Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Thank you Sifu for your great answer!
                        Thank you Daniel Siheng for posting it!
                        And thank you George Siheng for the reminder and the PDF file which I expect you are currently making!
                        Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Indeed, the PDF and EPUB of this Q&A are now available here.
                          George / Юра
                          Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

This is a wonderful thread.

Thank you Sifu, Daniel Siheng and brothers and sisters.

Love & Blessings,
                            Parveen
                            “So I say to you –
                            This is how to contemplate our conditioned existence in this fleeting world:”

“Like a tiny drop of dew, or a bubble floating in a stream;
                            Like a flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
                            Or a flickering lamp, an illusion, a phantom, or a dream.”

“So is all conditioned existence to be seen.”

Thus spoke Buddha.

Comment

Working...
                            X