Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HUATO 5 ANIMAL PLAY - 10 Questions to Grandmaster Wong

hua-tou01.jpg

It´s a great joy to announce that Grandmaster Wong will be teaching the famous "Hua To´s Five Animal Play" Qigong method in Barcelona (May 8th 2014).
    This will be the first time ever Grandmaster Wong teaches this Qigong (Chikung) exercices overseas.
    We are grateful and proud that Sifu has chosen Barcelona for this world premiere.
    Needless to say that it´s an opportunity not to be missed by Shaolin Wahnam instructors and students, and for any person interested in the wonderful benefits of Chikung.

Sifu Wong has agreed to answer 10 questions on the Hua To´s Five Animal Play in a special Q&A Series, so I encourage you to ask interesting questions (as you always do) on this special method.
    Meanwhile, as an introduction, I´ve compiled various Grandmaster Wong´s comments about the Huato Five Animal Play (or Five Animal Frolics as it´s also called):

I was different from other traditional good students. I read a lot of kungfu classics, and had frequent discussion with my sifu on kungfu philosophy. I read about a kind of chi kung developed by the great Chinese physician, Hua Tou, called Five-Animal Play where practitioners moved about in what we would now call self-manifested chi movement
    The Five-Animal Forlic is a famous chi kung exercise first developed by the great Chinese doctor called Hua Tuo about 2000 years ago. The movements of this type of chi kung are represented by five animals, namely the bird, the deer, the monkey, the tiger and the bear.
    At first people thought that Hua Tuo invented Five-Animal Forlic by observing the movements of these five animals and then formalized them into chi kung patterns. But later archaelogical and other evidence suggests that practitioners of this type of chi kung went into self-manifested chi movements, which Hua Tuo generalized into five groups represented by the five animals.
    Why are there five distintive movements? It is because they are manifested by five different natures of energy issuing from the five major internal organs. Energy from the heart is manifested in movements which resemble those of a bird, from the liver those of a deer, from the spleen those of a monkey, from the lungs those of a tiger, and from the kidneys those of the bear.
    For convenience, chi kung exercises can be classified into two main groups: dynamic chi kung and quiescent chi kung. Dynamic chi kung exercises can be sub-divided into dynamic patterns and self-manifested chi movement, and quiescent chi kung exercises can be sub-divided into stationary breathing and meditation. Please note that the division is arbituary and for the sake of convenience.
    Actually the term “dynamic patterns” was coined by me when I wrote “The Art of Chi Kung”. I was trying to help readers have a better understanding of the vast variety of chi kung exercises by providing some structured guidelines. I derived the inspiration of the term from a genre of Taoist chi kung exercises collectively know as “dao yin”, which literally means “guide and lead”.
    These “dao yin” exercises are usually performed with the practitioners standing, although there are also “dao yin” exercises performed with the practitioners sitting in a lotus-position. The physical movements of the practitioners guide and lead chi to flow. The “Eight Pieces of Brocade”, which correspond to the first eight of our Lohan Hands, is a good example of “dao yin” chi kung.
    While “dao yin” sounds poetic in Chinese, translating the term literally as “guide and lead exercises” does not make much sense. So I translate the term figuratively as “dynamic patterns”, because these exercises belong to the sub-group of “dynamic chi kung”, and the exercise are performed as patterns.
    Traditionally, the 18 Lohan Hands were not known as “dao yin” exercises. They were just known as “18 Lohan Hands”. Unlike Westerners who like to classify things into neat groups, the Chinese are not so keen on classification. But as “The Art of Chi Kung” was written with Western readers in mind, I classifed 18 Lohan Hands as “dynamic patterns”, as opposed to “self-manifested chi movement”, both of which form the two sub-groups of “dynamic chi kung”.
    A good example of “self-manifested chi movement” is “Five-Animal Play”. Traditionally, “Five-Animal Play” was not known as self-manifested chi movement. It was just called “Five-Animal Play”. The term “self-manifested chi movement” is translated from the Chinese term “zi-fa-dong gong”, which word-by-word means “self-manifest-move-art”. This term was coined in modern times, and was not found in classical chi kung texts. It refers to a genre of chi kung where practitioners move about spontaneously and vigorously due to internal chi flow induced by appropriate external movements.
    Other schools do not know that chi flow is so important. Even if they knew, they do not have the skills to do it.
    From these two reasons, we can go to other subsequent reasons. Why do other schools not know that chi flow is so important? Why do they not have the skills to have chi flow?
    Chi flow was a top secret. It was not explicitly explained in the past, like the way we do in our school.
    There was also the question of linguistics. In chi kung classics the concept of chi flow was described as "xing qi", which literally meant "circulate energy". In modern language, "chi flow" could be translated as "qi liu", but the term "qi liu" was not mentioned in chi kung classics. "Xing qi" was mentioned but not explained in detail like the way we do.
    Chi kung practitioners in the past did have chi flow, but they did not realize it and their chi flow movements were not as vigorous as ours, except those who practiced a type of chi kung called Five-Animal Play.
    Five-Animal Play, however, was not widely practiced. Five-Animal Play exercises were prescribed by chi kung healers to patients to overcome illness rather than practiced by chi kung practitioners on their own for health, vitality and longevity.
    Daniel Pérez
    http://www.shaolinbcn.es

untitled.jpg

More interesting things about Huato Five Animal Play tha Sifu will be teaching in Barcelona in May:

Monkey Style Kungfu is reputed to originate from the Five-Animal Play of Hua Tuo. (The Five-Animal Play is a famous form of chi kung, and Hua Tuo, who lived in the 3rd century BCE, is regarded as a saint of Chinese medicine.) Monkey Style Kungfu has been mentioned in many kungfu classics, such as the New Book of Discipline by the famous Ming Dynasty general, Chi Ji Guang, who discussed numerous kungfu styles of his time.

The Five-Animal Frolic is a famous chi kung exercise first developed by the great Chinese doctor called Hua Tuo about 2000 years ago. The movements of this type of chi kung are represented by five animals, namely the bird, the deer, the monkey, the tiger and the bear.
    At first people thought that Hua Tuo invented Five-Animal Frolic by observing the movements of these five animals and then formalized them into chi kung patterns. But later archaelogical and other evidence suggests that practitioners of this type of chi kung went into self-manifested chi movements, which Hua Tuo generalized into five groups represented by the five animals.
    Why are there five distintive movements? It is because they are manifested by five different natures of energy issuing from the five major internal organs. Energy from the heart is manifested in movements which resemble those of a bird, from the liver those of a deer, from the spleen those of a monkey, from the lungs those of a tiger, and from the kidneys those of the bear.

There are two major views regarding the Five Animal Frolics. The older view is that Hua Tuo invented this famous chi kung exercise after observing the movements and characteristics of the tiger, bear, deer, monkey and bird. Proponents of this view generally perform the exercise as dynamic patterns or "dao yin" in Chinese.
    Another view, popularized after correlating with some recently discovered documents and archaeological finds, purports that the movements, mainly self-manifested, came first, and Hua Tuo classified the great variety of movements into five main groups symbolized by the movements of the five animals. Proponents of this view generally perform the exercise as self-manifested chi movement, or "zi fa dong gong" in Chinese.
    Personally I favour the second view, and have found that practising the exercise as self-manifested chi movement more powerful and effective in overcoming illness. The choice is arbitrary; it is improper to say which approach is correct or wrong.
    Last edited by Daniel; 22 February 2014, 05:07 PM.
    Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sigung,

it is a great to hear you will be teaching this amazing Chi Kung set!
      Hua Tuo was a very advanced physician for his times but before he was executed, as the legend says, he burned all his books and not much knowledge of his treatments was left. I wonder how his Five Animal Play could survive. However I am happy it did.

While the different movements were classified into five categories of Yin Organs (Liver, Heart, Lung, Spleen, Kidney). Why did he not mention the Yang organs (Gallbladder, Small Intestine, Large Intestine, Stomach, Urinary Bladder)?
      And what exercises will be suit the patient better if his main blockage is the Yang Organ? The directly coupled Yin organ or a different Yin Organ?
      For Example: someone has a Gallbladder blockage (presenting as Endometriosis), what will bring more benefits the Deer (Liver) or the Bear (Kidney)?

Thank you very much!
      Kindest regards!
      Anton
      Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
      Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
      http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
      http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
      http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Dear Sifu,

We in Shaolin Wahnam are blessed to have another once-secretive classic, formulated by an outstanding master, revealed. I am looking forward to learn more about Five Animal Play here and hopefully at a course soon. So, thank you for offering to teach it and giving us the opportunity to ask questions again.

Here are my questions:

1)
        In your outstanding book “The Complete Book to Chinese Medicine“, you share Liang Shi Feng’s instructions to the Five Animal Play which consists of pressing two major energy points and extensive visualization. Will the Five Animal Play you are going to teach be a crystallization easier to perform, as usual?

2)
        Besides the obvious technical difference, is there a difference in the outcome between Five Animal Play induced by visualization and practicing a set of 3 exercises like we do to induce self-manifested chi-movement?

3)
        What diagnostic findings can a chi kung healer draw from observing a student’s chi flow movements?
        Should he prescribe exercises focusing on the specific organ manifested in the spontaneous movements afterwards?

Thank you in advance!

Best wishes,

Leo
        Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thank you Sifu

Dear Sifu,

Thank you for the generous offer to answer our questions.

Kung Fu masters, martial art experts and generals who retired went to the Shaolin temple for cultivation and due to their martial arts backround they would modify the 18 Lohan Hands to their needs which evolved into the 18 Lohan Art. Later it evolved into Lohan Kung Fu.

You mentioned that it was believed that the Monkey Kung Fu originated from the five animals play. How in your opinion did or could that happen?

Could it be a similar development like with the 18 Lohan Hands where some masters with martial arts backround and the knowledge and experience of the five animals play would modify the movements to their needs in combat?

The 12 Sinew Metamorphosis exercises if I am correct, generate the energy flow especially along the 12 primary meridians (relatively spoken). In this sense, each exercise would correlate with a specific meridian, meridians.

Could you please elaborate the connection between the five major organs and meridians in relation to the five animals play?

Thank you in advance for taking your time to answer our questions
          "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
          Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Another Amazing Q & A Series! :-)

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

First of all I would like to thank Sifu for always being so generous with us. He is really an example of the Shaolin Teachings. :-)

Second, I would like to thank Sifu Daniel for starting what is going to be another classic recorded for posterity.

Dear Sifu, here goes my question:

Is there any relation between the "5 Animal Play Chi Kung" and our "Chi Flow"? If so, in which way the 5 Animal Play has contributed to the Chi Kung that it is practiced in our School?

Can't wait to read all the answers. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Dear Sigung,

thank you so much for teaching yet another I’m sure astonishing course and also thank you so much for the opportunity we have here to get deeper insight into the Five Animal Play!
              I’m already very curious about the answers to the previous questions, especially on the details of what will be taught at this course and would also like to ask

1. What made you decide to teach the Five Animal Play now?

2. What are the typical movements and sounds of the specific animals?

Thank you for helping us getting even deeper insights into the arts!

Best Wishes,

Evelyn

Comment

Shaolin Wahnam's 3-In One and Hua Tuo's 5-Animal Play

Dear Sifu ,

Questions :

What type of illnesses did the Great Physician Hua Tuo cure by prescribing Five-Animal Frolic ?

If all things are equal , how does Shaolin Wahnam Self Manifested Chi Flow induced by combined 3-dynamic patterns ( i.e Lifting the Sky , Push Mountain , Carry the Moon as taught in Intensive Chi Kung Courses ) compare to 5-Animal Play in efficacy to cure illnesses ?

Thank you very much to Sifu and Daniel .
                Damian Kissey
                Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Daniel Sihing,

Thanks for providing this opportunity. I'm going to be cheeky and ask two related questions

Dear Sifu,
                  • Can you talk about the importance of the 5 Animal Play and its context in the history of (worldwide) medicine?
                  • Why do you think that Hua Tuo was the person to discover, or crystallise, this method?

Many thanks in advance,
                  Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                  Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                  Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                  - ancient wisdom

Comment

Thank you all for your interesting questions, I expect a few more coming...and I´m very eager to read Sifu´s answers!
                    Daniel Pérez

Comment

Is it appropriate to ask Sigung a question if I'm not going to attend the course?

I'm asking because there's a limit to the number of questions and I wouldn't like to prevent people who are going to be there from asking their questions.

With best wishes
                      Jacek

Comment

Originally posted by Jacek Kaleta View Post
                        Is it appropriate to ask Sigung a question if I'm not going to attend the course?

I'm asking because there's a limit to the number of questions and I wouldn't like to prevent people who are going to be there from asking their questions.

With best wishes
                        Jacek
                        Dear Jacek,

All questions are more than welcome. I am very sure that everyone here will enjoy and benefit any question that you might want to address Sifu. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santiago

Comment

Dear Jacek,

As Santiago has already said, you are more than welcome to ask questions.
                          Daniel Pérez

Comment

Another question:

Dear Sifu, today there are many versions of the 5 Animal Play, most of them include movements and established patterns that imitate the five animals.
                            What do you think of this popular versions when compared with the self-manifested chi movement approach?
                            Daniel Pérez

Comment

Dear Sifu,

One more question came to my mind, if I may…

Where does the 5 Animal Play rank compared to other Chi Kung arts and skills in our syllabus (i.e. 18 Jewels, 18 Lohan Hands, Self-Manifested Chi-Movement, Cosmic Shower, Bone Marrow Cleansing, …)?

Thank you so much!
                              And thanks to Daniel Siheng for managing the thread.

Best wishes,

Leo
                              Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Working...
                              X