Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hi everyone,

I am a student wanting to apply to be a Shaolin Wahnam student. I have no formal education in martial arts, qigong, or any kind of energy training but am very eager to learn. Unless advised otherwise, I intend start my training by applying for the Shaolin Hawaii Intensive Chi Kung course in July. I only wanted to ask if anyone thought this was a bad way to begin learning. If my lack of experience will hinder me, is there something I can do before July to build experience? Will I be forced to wait for a future course or should I apply?

Thank you all very much for your time and for this excellent resource (the forum).

Greetings,

Just like in real life, it is best to identify yourself to people to whom you would like to get to know. This is especially true if you do plan on meeting those people in real life!

To answer your questions:

An Intensive Chi Kung Course is an ideal way to begin Chi Kung training. No experience is required. Review the Shaolin Laws, enter with an open mind and heart and enjoy the experience.

That said, training with a local Instructor beforehand would be a good foundation for the course. If no local Instructor is available, then the next best option is to have a basic theoretical understanding:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abou...AJ&redir_esc=y

You can also try the exercises from the book at home in the lead up to the course.

Best,
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

Comment

Welcome!

I hope you follow through with your plans, you will not regret it.

Take Care
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Andy, of course you are right. My name is David Haugh. Unfortunately, I live around 20 hours from almost all instructors in the United States and Canada. I guess I'm right in the middle.

Thank you for your advice! I have no formal training in qigong but I have read and practiced on my own. Currently, my practice consists of the horse stance (as described in The Art of Shaolin Kung Fu by Sifu Wong) and Lifting the Sky (as seen on academy.flowingzen.com). I have limited experience practicing other exercises learned from books or the internet but none provided the benefits I have been receiving from only doing the horse stance and lifting the sky.

Already having a theoretical understanding, do you still think I should get that book? I have been looking at buying Sifu Wong's book The Art of Chi Kung but he has several qigong books and, while that one is the newest, it is also much more expensive than the others. I haven't bought any of them because of my confusion.
        Last edited by SirDank; 14 February 2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Nice to meet you David!

I recommend either Chi Kung for Health and Vitality or Art of Chi Kung. It is good to have an understanding of the scope and depth of the Arts; Health and Vitality is the one I'd most recommend to beginners, but if it is hard to source then go for Art of.

Horse stance is best practiced under supervision of an Instructor, so in the meantime I recommend only a short period of time (5 mins at the most) and attention to the theory:

http://www.shaolin.org/general-2/horse-stance.html

Best Wishes for your practice,
          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
          - ancient wisdom

Comment

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.

I'm one of the organizers for the Shaolin Hawaii courses. As Andy has said, the Chi Kung Intensive doesn't require any previous experience and is an excellent way to begin your training.

It's good that you want to prepare for the course as best you can. It sounds like you've already done a good bit of research in finding my Sifu's Flowing Zen Academy and reading The Art of Shaolin Kungfu. Andy has given you excellent advice in this regard. I will only add that you should have fun with whatever you do between now and the course.

We sometimes have a tendency to think that the more seriously we approach the Shaolin Arts, the better results we'll get. Such seriousness is sometimes useful, but it can also be detrimental. Enjoy reading the forum, Sigung's* books, and web sites (you may find the Q&A series on shaolin.org particularly interesting). If practicing something out of one of the books, follow the instructions respectfully, but try not to worry about whether you're doing it exactly right or not. Keep it light and allow the joy of discovery to wash over you.

On the one hand, practicing well from the books between now and July may enable you to get even better results at the course than you otherwise would. On the other hand, no matter how well you practice before the course, your results at the course itself will be incomparable!

I look forward to meeting you in Hawaii

* I refer to Grandmaster Wong as Sigung, which means "kung fu grandfather" (my Sifu's Sifu)

PS Keep an eye on my Sifu's event calendar on flowingzen.com. He has students in Arkansas and sometimes teaches there...
            Chris Didyk
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear David,

Excellent advice so far.

For background, you might also want to check out these two threads:

Stages of Cleansing, Building and Nourishing: 10 Questions to the Grandmaster - http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...he-Grandmaster

How to make the best use of a Shaolin Wahnam course - http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...-Wanham-Course

Best wishes, Barry
              Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
              Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
              Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
              UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome David and see you in Hawaii at the life changing chi kung course

In the meantime be nice to your loved ones , do your best at work and enjoy life
                Damian Kissey
                Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum, David

Have fun, don't worry and enjoy your life!

With Shaolin Salute,
                  Lee Wei Joo
                  http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Thank you all for welcoming me.

Sifu Chris, I have actually already talked to Sifu Anthony about coming to Arkansas. He said he intends to do it sometime this year but doesn't know when. If you would like to encourage him to make it soon, please feel free haha. Also, since I don't think it can hurt to ask, is there any kind of a group discount for the Shaolin Hawaii event? I am trying to bring my wife as well.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Welcome David, and all the best with your search.

With kind regards,
                        Markus Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Working...
                        X