The Way of the Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi brothers and sisters,

You may wonder why the complete autobiography is so long which consists of more than 80 chapters? What else are included in the book besides of describing the early age of Sifu and how Sifu learned from his four masters? Well, I would like to share something interesting now - which is the complete but brief content of the book!!! Hopefully this can give you the whole idea of what is really about the book.

Oh ya before I forget, Tim you are right, that good looking and energetic young man is Sifu. Sifu divided the book into three parts, namely "The Formative Year", "Building the Foundation" and "Spreading Health and Happiness". Generally, the first part describes the early age of Sifu and the second refers to the middle age of Sifu where he started to teach kungfu, chi kung and lion dance to the public. Sifu try to describe his experience where he travels to numerous countries to spread the Shaolin arts in the last part. To make it as perfect as possible, the book is still in the process (smile)......

The Formative Years

1. I’ll Teach You Free of Charge
    2. My Master, Uncle Righteousness
    3. The Journey Begins
    4. The Way Opens
    5. The Dance of Peace and Joy
    6. Flowery Fists and Embroidery Kicks
    7. Adventures at the Malayan Teachers’ College in Kuala Lumpur
    8. Marrying the Most Beautiful Girl in the World
    9. Dungun by the South China Sea
    10. Learning Wuzuquan from the Living Treasure of the Peoples’ Republic of China
    11. A Story that has Changed My Life and Countless Peoples’ Lives
    12. Learning the Shaolin Arts from the Third Generation Successor of the Southern Shaolin Temple
    13. The Treasure of Shaolin and the Great Majestic Set
    14. Muay Thai Fighting and Internal Force Training
    15. Four Gates, Hook-Spring Leg and Counters against Kicks
    16. Sau Foong, the Beautiful Phoenix
    17. How Shaolin Kungfu was Transmitted from the Shaolin Temple to Our School
    18. Questions over Tea and Meals, and Defeating a Muay Thai Champion
    19. Tea Times, Meal Times and Story Telling Times
    20. Kungfu Sets, Chi Kung and Free Sparring
    21. The Four Great Staffs in Kungfu
    22. The Great Sage Equal to Heaven and Immortal Li
    23. There is a Piece of Jade in the House, Wherefore Search Outside?
    24. You Don’t Have to Believe these Incredible Feats
    25. Wei Foong was an Active Chubby Baby
    26. Taijiquan can be Fast, Forceful and Combat Efficient
    27. Tit-Ta or Treatment for Injuries Sustained from Felling and Being Hit
    28. Learning Wing Choon Kungfu from Sifu Choe Hong Choy
    29. Learning a Variety of Kungfu Weapons

Building the Foundation

30. Chun Nga could Break a Brick at the Age of Eleven
    31. Establishing Shaolin Wahnam Association in Sungai Petani
    32. What was Training Like at Shaolin Wahnam Association
    33. The Lion, the Dragon and the Unicorn
    34. Starting to Teach Chi Kung to the Public
    35. Siew Foong’s Arrival brought Love and Peace, and Financial Improvement
    36. A Bitter Betrayal
    37. Some Incredible Results of Chi Kung
    38. Distant Chi Transmission is Unbelievable but True
    39. Chun Yian, a Child who Composed his Own Songs and Language
    40. The Kuala Lumpur Experience
    41. Early Teaching and Adventures in Australia
    42. Secrets of Combat Efficiency
    43. Flying Crane, Art of Lightness and Dispersing Clouds
    44. My Loving Mother and My Loving Father
    45. My Childhood Memories
    46. Understanding Classics and Writing Best-Selling Books
    47. From the Art of Chi Kung to the Way of the Master

Spreading Health and Happiness

48. Spain – My First Visit to the West
    49. The Portuguese Experience with the General and Gourmet
    50. Dim-Mark is Not Lost; It is Found in our School
    51. Lovely Happily Married Couple in Toronto
    52. The Whole of Austria is a Garden
    53. Sabah, the Land Below the Winds
    54. World Qigong Congress and the Unity of the Sciences
    55. Belgium’s Chocolate and Holland’s Windmills
    56. The Italian Romance
    57. Enchanting South American Experiences
    58. When Irish Eyes are Smiling
    59. Glorious Progress after a Storm
    60. Beautiful Switzerland
    61. Internal Force, Mental Flow and Sifu’s Parking
    62. UK Summer Camp and Road Trip to Wales
    63. Brighton, Four Gates and Dragon Strength
    64. Golden Bell and Transcendental Teaching
    65. Zen and Recovery from What Doctors Considered Impossible
    66. Returning to Australia
    67. Melbourne Wedding and Memorable Happenings
    68. Crystal Clear Water and Ayers Rock
    69. Land of the Mid-Night Sun
    70. The Magic of the Winter Camp
    71. The Spread of Shaolin Wahnam to the United States
    72. A Most Memorable Journey Across the United States
    73. Whether it is Common Place or Magical Depends Much on Your Mind
    74. Heart to Heart Transmission
    75. Beautiful like Cherry Blossom in Japan
    76. India: a Land of Sounds and Colours
    77. Today is Going to be the Best Day of Your Life
    78. A Special State of No-Mind
    79. Celebrating Life with Joy in Russia
    80. The Magic of the Arabian World
    81. Experiencing Thousand and One Nights
    82. Bringing the Shaolin Arts Back to the Chinese People
    83. Good Health is Our Birth-Right
    84. Miracles Do Happen
    85. The Four Dimensions of Kungfu, Chi Kung or Any Art
    86. The Spread and Depth of the Shaolin Wahnam Arts
    87. Enriching Our Lives and the Lives of Other People
    88. Becoming a Master as Performer and as Teacher *Only Available in Special and Limited Edition

Best wishes,
    Chun Yian

Comment

Dear Chun Yin Siheng,

Thank you for sharing so many chapters with us. It is all so wonderful to read

We are so very blessed!

With deepest respect and gratitude,
      Joan
      Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
      GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
      ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
      THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Chun Yian Sihing,

88 chapters! The number 8 is considered auspicious and very fortunate in Chinese culture So this is going to be a very successful book!

Double Hao Yun Chi!

With Shaolin Salute,
        Lee Wei Joo
        http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Wonderful! Can't wait!
          Pavel Macek Sifu

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

sigpic

Comment

So amazing

Really looking forward for this book

Blessings,
            Claude
            Love is wonderful, because anyone with love in his heart wants to see everyone in bliss, everyone healthy and everyone availing freedom. This is the state of a man who considers the world as his family. Such are the wise man, the great souls. (Shri Shantananda Saraswati)

Comment

Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

Dear Chun Yian Sihing,

Many thanks for posting these chapters. They are a joy to read and I can't wait for the book to be published!

Best wishes,

Roeland
                www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Hi there,

Yes myself is also very excited about the book!! Of course many more sharing about the content before its publication will come in place from time to time to satisfy the curiosity

As we know our school is call Shaolin Wahnam Institute, but Sifu did set up Shaolin Wahnam Association before Shaolin Wahnam Institute being established. Well, both are different organisations. However, probably we can say Shaolin Wahnam Institute is derive from Shaolin Wahnam Association. The story begins in Chapter 31......

Shaolin Wahnam Association

At that time I was thinking of forming an organisation to preserve and promote kungfu, with lion dance as one of the activities. Kungfu in general had degraded to a ridiculous level where kungfu practitioners could only perform to please spectators but could not fight at all. Genuine kungfu had become flowery fists and embroidery kicks. It was a norm that kungfu practitioners who had faithfully practiced kungfu for more than ten years would be badly beaten by practitioners who had trained for a year in Karate, Taekwondo or Boxing. While fighting was not the main reason to practice kungfu, it was a mockery to call kungfu a martial art when one could not defend himself.

I also noticed that in Malaysia at that time most of those who practiced kungfu were hawkers, mechanics, carpenters, labourers and of lower economic levels, whereas most of those who practiced Karate and Taekwondo were teachers, lawyers, doctors, engineers, managers and of higher social status. Perhaps it was not because of the arts, but because of language. Most of kungfu practitioners were Chinese educated, whereas most of Karate and Taekwondo practitioners were English educated, and due to different opportunities available, the English educated had better opportunities to be in professions of higher social status.

Kungfu was usually taught in Chinese; most kungfu masters did not speak English. Karate and Taekwondo were mostly taught in English. Many Karate and Taekwondo masters, even when they were Chinese in race, did not speak the official Chinese language, i.e. Mandarin, and they were often more fluent in English than in their own dialects of Cantonese, Hokkien, Hakka or Thiewchew. Thus, it was understandable most practitioners of Karate and Taekwondo spoke English and of a higher social and economic status.

Of course, there was nothing wrong being a hawker, mechanic, carpenter, labourer or a worker of a similar social or economic status, and not being able to speak English. Indeed, many hawkers then as well as now earn more money than teachers. And I know of a few doctors, despite their high income, would like to chose another profession if they could. But that was not the issue.

The issue was that I would like to make available opportunities for those in the higher social and economic groups, like doctors, lawyers, engineers and managers, to learn kungfu if they want, without distracting from the other groups. After all, the kungfu I offered was for the elite in the past; ordinary people did not have a chance to learn this type of high-level kungfu, which was not just for fighting but also for health, vitality, longevity, mental freshness and spiritual cultivation.

Some of my lion dance students in Sungai Petani, Kuala Ketil and Batu Dua helped me to found Shaolin Wahnan Association (少林华南武术会) in Sungai Petani in November 1982 with Mr Tan Kee Hong (陈凞凤), a prominent community leader in town, as Chairman. The association was located at Jalan Sekerat, Pekan Lama, which is in the Malay language translated into English as Sekerat Street, Old Town. Later Mr Tan Kee Hong relinquished the chairman post due to personal reasons and Mr Lee Kuan Lim took over.

The name “Shaolin Wahnam” was chosen for the following reasons. We taught Shaolin Kungfu. The kungfu taught was mainly from two of my four masters, namely Sifu Lai Chin Wah and Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, whose last characters of the first names were used to name the school to honour them.

The logo chosen for our school was formed from a trident which represented the letter “W” for “Wah”, and a soft whip which represented the letter “N” for “Nam”. They symbolized the “hard” and “soft” aspects of our arts.

The trident and the soft whip were in a big circle surrounded by two lines with the name “Shaolin Wahnam Association” (Shaolin Wahnam Institute) in Chinese and English in between. The outer and inner lines symbolize the external and the internal dimensions of our training.

The logo was in two colours, red and yellow. Red symbolized courage, and yellow symbolized wisdom. Courage and wisdom were values we want to cultivate in our training.

Along the logo in the training hall of the association, were two lines of a poetic couplet (对联). A poetic couplet is a popular genre of Chinese literature where all the words in the head linerelate to all the corresponding words in the tail line according to certain contextual and literary values. In classical buildings, poetic couplets are often found written on corresponding pillars.

Marvelous Techniques and Wondrous Skills

The two lines of the poetic couplet in the training hall of Shaolin Wahnam Association were as follows:

Miu fatt fatt chong sang miu fatt (妙法法中生妙法)
                  Kai kung kung seong kein kai kung (奇功功上见奇功)

The pronunciation above is in Cantonese. The meaning in English is as follows:

Marvelous techniques beget marvelous techniques
                  Wondrous skills generate wondrous skills

This poetic couplet was reputed to be from the Venerable Harng Yen (杏隐禅师), the most senior disciple of the Venerable Chee Seen (至善禅师), the First Patriarch of Southern Shaolin Kungfu. The poetic couplet was taken from a kungfu classic called “Essence of Shaolin” (少林拳术精华).

When an opponent thinks that he has subdued you with a technique that is impossible to counter, with a slight twist not only you counter his attack but reverse the situation and place him in an impossible position, it is an example of marvelous techniques beget marvelous techniques.

When you perform a certain skill and derive an incredible result, but this result brings forth a more incredible result, it is an example of wondrous skills generate wondrous skills.

Such amazing situations occur quite often and may be unexpected by an opponent and sometimes unexpected by the exponent himself in our school. For example, when an opponent grips my arm and attempts to fell me to the ground, but just at the time he expects me to hit the ground, he finds himself on the ground instead.

The most frequent occurrences of wondrous skills in my experience are found in One-Finger Shooting Zen. Because of the tremendous and versatile internal force I have developed through my training of One-Finger Shooting Zen, I can use the force to hurt or to heal in many different ways.

*Attach is a picture of our well-known logo. Please take note the logo is Shaolin Wahnam Institute logo and it is not Shaolin Wahnam Association. The only different between the two will be the name of the organisation in both Chinese and English. In Simplified Chinese character, Shaolin Wahnan Association is 少林华南武术会 and Shaolin Wahnam Institute is 少林华南武术馆.

With Shaolin Salute,
                  Chun Yian
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Siheng for the inspiring and enjoyable glimpses of our Sifu's biography : looking forward to buy and read the Book
                    Damian Kissey
                    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Hi brothers and sisters,

Sifu spreads the Shaolin arts to the deserve students regardless of race, culture or religion. This attitude already reflect during Sifu's early teaching before he travels overseas. Some of us might hear about Mogan Siheng, and here is the story, follow by an interesting story about sitting meditation.

Mogan’s Experience

Mogan, who is big sized and has a lot of internal force, is soft-spoken and gentle like a lamb. He has an interesting story to tell. He told the story to some Shaolin Wahnam students, who retold it to me.

Mogan was very interested in Shaolin Kungfu. But wherever he went for training, he was rejected because he was Indian.

One night he came to Shaolin Wahnam Association.

“Sifu Wong, can I learn kungfu from you?”

“Why not?” I replied.

Mogan was very surprised, as he expected the answer to be no which he had been getting all along. I was the only kungfu master who accepted him, and he proved himself to be an excellent student.

Actually I myself was surprised when someone told me Mogan’s story. It never occurred to me at all that race, culture or religion was an issue when accepting students. The only question I considered was whether an applicant was deserving.

After set practice at the Shaolin Wahnam Association, the students practiced specific techniques, one specific technique a night, six nights a week. Saturday night was for lion dance training. Training with specific techniques was followed with a short question-answer session.

Sitting Meditation

We concluded the nightly session with sitting meditation. We focused on attaining a one-pointed mind, using the principle of one thought representing hundreds of thoughts. Sometimes we counted our breath from one to ten, and repeated the procedure mechanically. But mainly we gently focused on our dantian. Our mind became very focused and strong.

Later I discontinued the practice of sitting meditation. This was because of an incredible experience in a bank.

I was in a queue waiting to cash a cheque for my school teacher’s pay. The queue was long and it would be some time before my turn, so I decided to have some fun.

I saw a Malay gentleman sitting in a chair with his wife and two children. I used my mind to will him to stand up, turn to his left, walk three steps, pause for a short while then turn back and walk five steps pass his family. He did exactly I willed him to, looking a bit foolish. His family looked at him with some amazement but said nothing.

I instructed the Malay gentleman with my mind to walk briskly to the entrance of the bank, stand there and scratch his left ear with his left hand. He did, not knowing why he did so.

I told him to turn to his right and immediately walk ahead along the corridor. He did and was out of sight. I told him to walk back to the entrance of the bank, walk straight to his chair, sit down and fold his arm. Again he did exactly I told him. I thanked the Malay gentleman and blessed him and his family.

I was alarmed, deeply alarmed. I had developed my mind through daily meditation to an incredibly powerful level, far too powerful to be comfortable. I knew very well I would never abuse my mind power – that would be very silly of me – but still having such a powerful mind was a heavy burden, and I did not want to carry the burden. So I stopped practicing sitting meditation, and discontinued teaching it.

Best wishes,
                      Chun Yian

Comment

Dear Chun Yian Siheng,

Thank you so much. Every story and chapter are jewels.

With deepest respect,
                        Joan
                        Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
                        GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
                        THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Hi there,

Another part which I think is quite useful and informative for us where Sifu describe the difference between chi kung and gentle physical exercise. This is located at the beginning of Chapter 34 - Starting to Teach Chi Kung to the Public.

Chi Kung and Gentle Physical Exercise

There are many important differences, but the crucial difference is that in gentle physical exercise practitioners work on their physical body, like loosening joints and muscles, whereas in an art of energy practitioners work on energy, like generating an energy flow to overcome illness and enjoy good health.

If you do not know what working on energy is, you probably do not practice chi kung though you may be performing genuine chi kung forms. If you practice genuine chi kung, you will know from direct experience what working on energy is, just like if you eat a mango you will know what eating a mango is.

It is not the chi kung forms or patterns but how you perform them that determines whether you practice chi kung or gentle physical exercise. In the same way, it is not the Taijiquan forms or patterns but how you perform them that determines whether you practice an internal martial art or just some external dance.

If you practice chi kung patterns as gentle physical exercise, irrespective of how beautifully you may perform them and for how long, you will not get the benefits of chi kung, you will only get the benefits of gentle physical exercise, like being relaxed, and having grace and balance. These are desirable benefits, but they are not chi kung benefits like overcoming pain and illness, and enjoying good health, vitality and longevity. If you wish to have chi kung benefits, you must employ the chi kung forms to work on energy.

Working on energy is of course very important in kungfu or any martial art. No martial artists, or any persons for that matter, can be effective if they lack energy, or if they have energy but do not know how to manage it. There are many ways to develop energy, but they can be classified into two categories – externally and internally. Most martial arts use external methods, like running, lifting weights and hitting sand-bags. Some martial arts use internal methods, like various chi kung techniques.

Nei Kung

In the past chi kung was known as nei kung, or neigong (内功) in Mandarin. It was taught to students only when they had proven their worth after training with a master over many years. Chi kung would enhance their kungfu tremendously.

I was lucky to practice chi kung in my kungfu training, especially from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam and also from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy when he taught me the internal art of Siu Lin Tou. The whole of Wuzuquan training with Sifu Chee Kim Thong was chi kung but I was unable to benefit from it at that time.

Uncle Righteousness did not teach chi kung formally, but a lot of chi kung techniques were found in the kungfu sets I learned from him. It was after my “enlightenment” with internal training from Sifu Ho Fatt Nam, that what I had learnt earlier from Uncle Righteousness and Sifu Chee Kim Thong, and also what I would learn later from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy became great treasures.

I also read a lot about what chi kung did in the past. Chi kung classics recorded that chi kung could overcome hundreds of diseases. I reasoned that the way chi kung was taught, those who were sick and needed to overcome their sickness by practicing chi kung would have no chance to learn it as they had to practice kungfu first for many years to prove their worth before they had a chance to learn chi kung. On the other hand, those who had a chance would not need chi kung to overcome illness, because they were already healthy and fit after having practiced kungfu for many years.

Therefore I proposed to include a special chi kung section in Shaolin Wahnam Association for members of the public who wanted to overcome illness or improve their health. They needed not practice kungfu for many years before they could learn chi kung. They could learn chi kung immediately. Meanwhile advanced chi kung or martial art chi kung would be taught to existing students if they proved themselves to be worthy.

Best wishes,
                          Chun Yian

Comment

I cannot wait for this book

Dear Chun Yian Siheng.

What a truly wonderful project.

I am sure when the book is finally published, it will be Legendary and an amazing source of wisdom and insight for us all.

Very excited regards

Seán

Comment

Looking forward to this milestone book with eagerness!

With Shaolin Salute,
                              Lee Wei Joo
                              http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Chun Yian Siheng,

Thank you so much for posting these sparkling glimpses to the autobio. I must confess that I can't wait for the collectors' version to come - another reason why I am super excited about going to Malaysia in December!

Shaolin salute - with love and respect,

Emiko
                                Emiko Hsuen
                                www.shaolinwahnam.jp
                                www.shaolinwahnam.ca

INTENSIVE & SPECIAL COURSES -- PENANG 2018
                                Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
                                4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
                                Small and Big Universe Course: Nov 21 to 25
                                Becoming a Shaolin Wahnam Kungfu Practitioner: Nov 26 to Dec 2
                                Cultivating Spirit Nourishing Energy: Dec 2 to Dec 8
                                Intensive Chi Kung Course: Dec 9 to Dec 13
                                To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Comment

Working...
                                X