Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Way of the Master

Hi there,

As the entire autobiography is so long, I will try to post few parts from different chapters so that we can get the entire flow of the book. Another part in Chapter 7, which related to Praying Mantis Kungfu......

The next year, 1966, I attended teacher training at the Malayan Teachers’ College at Pantai Valley in Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia. Most of my classmates went to universities. But I came from a poor family and could not afford university education. More significantly, I loved teaching and considered it a very noble profession.

But I never forgot my kungfu training. I even brought my bean bag along to the teachers’ college to continue my training of Iron Palm.

At first I practiced my Iron Palm early every morning at a laundry room in the dormitory I stayed so as not to disturb my dormitory mates. But even when the laundry room was some distance away from the sleeping quarters, the noise I created hitting the bag early every morning was very loud. So I moved to the edge of a field to practice my Iron Palm as well as other aspects of my kungfu. Sometimes I practiced in the evening.

One evening when I looked over the edge of Malayan Teacher’s College, I was surprised to see at a distance some young men practicing combat application of Praying Mantis Kungfu. They were undergraduates of University Malaya which was close by the Malayan Teachers’ College, and they were practicing in a university compound.

I watched silently from afar and was very impressed with their performance. One exponent stood leisurely, and an opponent would come from behind to grab his arm. The exponent neutralized the grip with an elegant Praying Mantis pattern. The opponent would then lock the exponent’s neck, and the exponent would counter with another elegant Praying Mantis pattern. It was actually the first time I saw such elegant kungfu application. “Aha, kungfu patterns can be used for combat,” I said to myself.

I took the trouble to meet them, told them that I practiced kungfu too, and asked if I could join them in their training. They were very surprised that I knew of their training, and said they had to consult their master. When I met them again to wait for their reply, they told me that as I was not an undergraduate of the university, their master did not accept my participation.

It was polite of them to give me such an answer. I knew they wanted to keep their training exclusive, which was the norm in top-level kungfu. I believe they would also not accept other undergraduates into their secret training, which of course was their privilege. After this, I could not see their training any more from the edge of my college; they moved to another secret training place.

Although I did not have a chance to learn from them, this accidental viewing of their kungfu application was very beneficial to me. I started to think of combat applications for the kungfu patterns that I knew, instead of merely performing kungfu sets as routine as I had done before. The initial combat applications I thought of were elementary and clumsy, but it constituted a very important first step in my long journey of practicing kungfu for combat instead of practicing kungfu for demonstration.

As always mention by Sifu that it is very important for us to think for the combat application and apply the kungfu patters that we have learned, and this incident stimulated Sifu to start thinking of the application. Another point that I notice from the above is that many kungfu masters would try to keep their arts and only taught to selected disciples or students secretly, which some still hold this custom until now. But Sifu is so generous and think that he should benefited as much people as possible with the arts he has, and transmit them to all of us regardless of races, cultures and religions.

With Shaolin salute,
    Chun Yian

Emiko H is offline Sifu Emiko Hsuen - Chief Instructor, SHaolin Wahnam Japan
    Dear Chun Yian Siheng,

Thank you for sharing these exciting excerpts! Can't wait to read more.

But Sifu is so generous and think that he should benefited as much people as possible with the arts he has, and transmit them to all of us regardless of races, cultures and religions.
    Yes, I couldn't agree more - and I am very grateful.

Shaolin salute - with love and respect,

Emiko
    Emiko Hsuen
    www.shaolinwahnam.jp
    www.shaolinwahnam.ca

ESSENCE OF SHAOLIN
    Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
    4th generation successor of the Southern Shaolin Monastery
    Essence of Shaolin: Dec 4 to 10, 2017
    Small and Big Universe Course: Dec 10 to 14, 2017
    Essence of Shaolin: Dec 14 to 20, 2017
    To apply, send email to: secretary@shaolin.org

Hi there,

A little bit more about Sifu's and Simu's name which described in Chapter 8 - Marrying the most Beautiful Girls in the World......

I first met my wife, Goh Siew Ai (伍瑞爱), in Penang in 1965 when she was sweet 18 and I was 21. “Goh” is her surname, or the name in her family line, and “Siew Ai” is her name. Chinese names are meaningful. “Goh” means a team, “Siew” means blessing, and “Ai” means love. Poetically I would interpret my wife’s name as she teams up with me to bring blessings of love.

My name, Wong Kiew Kit (黄侨杰), is very meaningful too. “Wong” is my surname, meaning yellow, as my family is reputed to descend from the famous Yellow Emperor of China. “Kiew” means overseas, and “Kit” means genius. Many people have kindly said that I am an overseas genius.

Although I am Chinese, I live in Malaysia and am a Malaysian citizen as my parents migrated to Malaysia, called Malaya at that time, before I was born. So I am an overseas Chinese. I also travel overseas very often to more than 35 countries in the world to teach chi kung, Shaolin Kungfu and Taijiquan.

My parents’ names are also meaningful. My father was Wong York Sang (黄育生) and my mother Mok Pik Yoke (莫碧玉). “York Sang” means “born of education”, and my father was a scholar, from whom I benefited greatly. My mother’s name, “Pik Yoke”, means “crystalline jade”, and she was certainly crystalline jade to me.

My wife’s name, Goh Siew Ai, is spelt according to the Hokkien dialect as my wife’s ancestors came from the province of Hokkien in China. In Mandarin my wife’s name is pronounced and written in Romanized Chinese as Wu Rui Ai. I am sure that if someone showed the Romanized Chinese writing, “Wu Rui Ai”, to my wife, she might not recognize it as her name, though she will probably know if someone pronounces the sounds “Wu Rui Ai” in Mandarin.

My name, Wong Kiew Kit, is spelt according to the Cantonese pronunciation, as my ancestors came from the province of Kongtung, and the provincial dialect is Cantonese, Canton being the provincial capital. In Mandarin my name is pronounced and written in Romanized Chinese as Huang Qiao Jie. When I was reviewing my manuscript, “The Art of Chi Kung”, and came across the name “Huang Qiao Jie”, I had to read it twice before I recognized that it was my name in Mandarin pronunciation written in Romanized Chinese.

The words “Hokkien” and “Kongtung” above are pronounced in the local dialects, i.e. in the Hokkien dialect and in Cantonese. In Mandarin pronunciation written in Romanized Chinese, they are “Fujian” and “Guangdong” respectively.

It is worthy of note that my name is “Wong Kiew Kit”, and not “Kiew Kit Wong” as some people unfamiliar with Chinese names may use. People would call me “Mr Wong”, “Sifu Wong” or “Grandmaster Wong”, and not “Mr Kit”, “Sifu Kit” or “Grandmaster Kit”.

You would have some fun, if not confusion, when checking books written by me in a biography list. If John Smith has written a book, “The Funny Things About Names”, it would be classified under “Smith, John; Funny Things About Names”.
    My book, “The Art of Chi Kung”, should be listed under “Wong Kiew Kit; Art of Chi Kung”, but often it is not. Perhaps those who listed books wished to have some fun with names, it is often placed under “Kit, Wong Kiew; Art of Chi Kung”.

It is also not just for fun that Chinese place their surnames or family names before their own names. It is because of respect. They feel that their family comes first, and only then themselves, not just in biography lists or when filling in forms, but whenever they use their names. Thus, my wife would call herself Goh Siew Ai, and not Siew Ai Goh.

Regards,
    Chun Yian

Thank you Sifu for sharing this highly interesting information, one can learn a lot from something as seemingly ordinary as a name.

LeeWeiJoo is offline Sifu Lee Wei Joo - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Malaysia
    Thank you Sifu for sharing the poetic and inspiring importance that Chinese have for names.

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo

Andy is offline Sifu Andy Cusick - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Wonderful
    Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
    Shaolin Qigong

Connect:
    Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
    - ancient wisdom

PM is offline Sifu Pavel Macek - Founder of Czech Lam Ga Hung Kyun
    Cannot wait to read it!

I will make sure it gets the promotion it deserves and will promote in on my blog - inspiration to all of us!

All the best to Sifu and Wahnam family.

Lovely,

I am so looking forward to this book

Thank you Sifu.

Shaolin walute,
    Brendan

Mark CH is offline Sifu Mark Hartnett - Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam Ireland
    I can't wait to read this also.

The sooner the better

Best wishes
    Mark

Mark A is offline Sifu Mark Appleford - Chief Instructor, Shaolin Wahnam UK