Encounters with Dangerous People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Encounters with Dangerous People

At the urging of my Sifu, I have decided to share an experience that happened three days ago.

I was at a local pub with a friend of mine enjoying the night when a middle aged man either on drugs or simply insane (or both) came in and began acting hostile towards the bartenders. There was no security in this establishment so I acted immediately after quickly assessing the situation.

Thankfully I was able to get his attention on me by engaging him in his incoherent babble, and convinced him to take a seat to limit his mobility. While he was distracted the bartenders called the police. As I was attempting to calm him down he pulled out a screwdriver and started stabbing the air with it saying how bad he could hurt someone with it. I convinced him to put it down thankfully....finally once he was calm I was able to lure him outside with a cigarette I acquired from another patron real quick while keeping everyone away from him, and delivered him into the hands of the police. No violence occurred which is a success in my book!

Some things I did right:

I kept ok spacing with myself, and in regards to keeping others away.
    I limited his mobility
    I stayed at my dantian, calm and aware

Some things I did wrong:

I was more focused on protecting others than myself
    I actually gave him the cigarette when we stepped out the door and lit it for him, not realizing it could also be a potential weapon if he tried to burn me or the officer with it.

My Sifu gave me good advice, but I am wondering what you all think before I post again.

Hopefully this generates some good discussion about what was done right/wrong, as well as other real life encounters with potentially dangerous people.

Shaolin Salute,
    David
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Hi David,

Main mistake I see is that you didn't offer him a smoke and a pancake. Pancakes diffuse everything.

In all seriousness, great job on winning without fighting.

Best,

Andrew
    Love, and do what you will.

- St. Augustine

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew R View Post
      Hi David,

Main mistake I see is that you didn't offer him a smoke and a pancake. Pancakes diffuse everything.

In all seriousness, great job on winning without fighting.

Best,

Andrew
      Thank you, I can see how that could have been a fatal error had he been more demanding. I shall meditate on this.
      Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Hi David

It's great you were able to de-escalate the situation.
        Congratulations for having the courage to step forward.

I was more focused on protecting others than myself
        That's a great lesson. Not just in this situation, but in general. Safety first - because if you fall, the others will too. Or said differently: To take care of yourself is part of taking care of others.
        I see so many people disregard this in their work... therapists, doctors, SME business owners, project managers... . This is slightly off-topic of course .

Andrea
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Thank you for that contribution.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for, advice about what was possibly done right or wrong, so we can all learn.

That point is a vitally important one that I had not considered, it brings a new dimension into the equation. Had something gone wrong and he hurt me, then I wouldn't have been able to do anything for anyone.

Good advice to take to heart as well about applying these principles to anything in life where self care is important before taking care of others, not just encounters with potential opponents.

So far excellent input, pancakes and safety first. Off to a good start. ^_^

Originally posted by Andrea View Post
          Hi David

It's great you were able to de-escalate the situation.
          Congratulations for having the courage to step forward.

That's a great lesson. Not just in this situation, but in general. Safety first - because if you fall, the others will too. Or said differently: To take care of yourself is part of taking care of others.
          I see so many people disregard this in their work... therapists, doctors, SME business owners, project managers... . This is slightly off-topic of course .

Andrea
          Shaolin Wahnam USA

Comment

Don´t go to local pub. Go to church instead.

Joking, but some truths behind

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Congratulations brother!

It is easy to say "I would do X, Y Z", but when a real situation arises it takes courage and mental clarity to act well.

You acted very well

Best,
              Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
              Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
              Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
              - ancient wisdom

Comment

Working...