The Yang 108 Pattern set - Valentine's 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here it is!

Part two of Sigung's wonderful answer to the question I aired earlier in the thread.

Thank you Sigung!

Some patterns, like Carry Tiger Back to Mountain and Needle at Sea Bottom, are performed differently in our version. This is because we perform them the way we would use them in combat application. In the original version, Carry Tiger Back to Mountain is similar to Grasping Sparrow’s Tail, except an initial palm strike.

Using Needle in Sea Bottom as performed in the original version to counter an organ-seeking kick, which is a main function of the pattern in our version, is not effective. Using it to release a wrist grip, as mentioned in Yang Deng Fu’s book, or to pierce into an opponent on the ground, as suggested in the pattern, is inappropriate as it dangerously exposes the exponent.

A few patterns are added to the original version because the additional patterns are meaningful and useful. Elbow Strike and Shoulder Strike, for example, complete the two missing techniques of the 8 techniques mentioned in the original 13 postures of Taijiquan. Striking Tiger Poise is an important pattern in Chen Style, Taijiquan, the forerunner from which Yang Style Taijiquan evolved, and is a very useful pattern for combat.

In the hidden group, the way the Bow-Arrow Stance is performed is exactly what we ask our students to avoid because not only it is disadvantageous in combat but also detrimental to health. It is telling to note that in earlier pictures of Yang Deng Fu, he performed the Bow-Arrow Stance the way we now do, and not the way shown in the original version.

It is understandable if Yang Deng Fu hid some combat applications from his ordinary students, as that was the norm then, but it is unthinkable to suggest that he distorted the form of the Bow-Arrow Stance to cause harm. Hence, there must be good reasons why the Bow-Arrow Stance is performed the way it is now performed and which we consider detrimental.

One possible reason, which might or might not be true, could be for expedient needs, like Yang Deng Fu was injured from his numerous fighting when teaching the Bow-Arrow Stance and the current form, which would be necessary for his expedient need at the time, had become established. It is similar to a situation that some Chinese terms, like the Five Elements, are wrongly translated but has become established.

Fa-jing was an advanced skill, taught only to advanced students. This could be a reason why it was not included in the original version of the set which was performed by ordinary students. But our school is different. We teach what most schools considered as advanced right at the beginning.

This is the same as performing the set with speed in our version but slowly in the original version. Initially Taijiquan movements were performed slowly so as to get the form perfect and to generate energy flow. When students became advanced, they would perform the movements fast, especially in combat. Most students did not have an opportunity to progress to an advanced stage with the result that performing Taijiquan slowly has been established, mistakenly, as the norm.

We are ridiculous. We progress in a four-hour course what it would take other students many years. Hence, like fa-jing, we perform our Taijiquan movements fast, after having performed it slowly at our initial stage which would take less than an hour, to learn picture-perfect form and generate energy flow.

Personally I do not find any disadvantages regarding these differences, which only enhance our benefits. If there were disadvantages, I would not have made the changes.

Even the suggestion that having these changes which necessitates performing both sides instead of one, adding new patterns, and learning new skills, does not hold waters because these changes were made in place of repetition. For example, instead of repeating a sequence of techniques five times, we perform the sequence twice, and use the remaining three times to learn new techniques and skills.

The suggestion that performing something five times makes a practitioner more skillful than performing twice, is also not true in our case because, at the risk of being accused to be boastful, we benefit more from performing a sequence of technique twice than most other people performing it five times. This is readily seen in the fact, except that other people may be too slow or stubborn to see it, that our student learning Taijiquan in a course of a few days have better performance and more benefits than many other people practicing Taijiquan for a few years.

Comment

Dear family,

There is a tiny modification to the second last paragraph of part two of Sigung's wonderful answer. The words "takes more time" are to be included.

So the paragraph now reads:

"Even the suggestion that having these changes which necessitates performing both sides instead of one, adding new patterns, and learning new skills, takes more time does not hold waters because these changes were made in place of repetition."
      Thank you Sigung for this absolutely wonderful answer!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Thanks for sharing Kevin.

I'm sure this is going to be a great course!

Comment

Dear Sigung,

Thank you for giving us incredible insights on the Yang 108 Pattern Set.

Dear Kevin Sihing,

Thank you for sharing Sigung’s wonderful answer with us.

I’m looking forward to your next installment of 'The Five Fabulous Features of the 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan Set'. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Shaolin Salute,
          Dominic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Roche View Post
            Dear Sigung,

Thank you for giving us incredible insights on the Yang 108 Pattern Set.

Dear Kevin Sihing,

Thank you for sharing Sigung’s wonderful answer with us.

I’m looking forward to your next installment of 'The Five Fabulous Features of the 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan Set'. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Shaolin Salute,
            Dominic.
            Thanks Dominic! I'm looking forward to it too...

I hope your learning of the set is going well!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

The Five Fabulous Features of the 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan set!

Fabulous Feature Number Two: The stillness.

Three key aspects of the 108-pattern Yang style Taijiquan set are its softness, smoothness and flow. In these three regards it is quite unlike any other set I have ever practiced. They characterise the very essence of the set.

Such softness, smoothness and flow are deeply meditative and cultivate a beautiful stillness in the practitioner - a stillness in movement, and a movement in stillness. Through this flowingly meditative state we experience a clear mind, a calm mind and a joyful mind. Our Shen is nourished and our bodies are cleansed with lovely Chi.

We are very blessed that Sigung will be teaching this absolutely wonderful set in Ireland ten weeks from now.

Comment

Wonderful!

Thank you Kevin, Sifu ...and all the rest of you for your contributions!
                Daniel Pérez
                http://www.shaolinbcn.es

Comment

Dear family,

This six minute video features footage of last year's 108 pattern Yang style Taijiquan course in Florida. It shows some applications of the set in defending against a boxer's attack.

Oh happy memories...

I am getting really excited about next February...

Comment

And my sincere thanks to Sigung (and I think Sisook Mark Blohm!) for very kindly making this video available on Youtube for our benefit.

Thank you Sigung.
                    Thank you Sisook Mark.

Comment

Fabulous Feature Number Three: The capacity for deepening one's skills.

Common to all sets, but particularly relevant here, my third fabulous feature of the 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan set is its capacity for deepening one's skills in Taijiquan. It in this regard it is truly outstanding.

All the key principles of Taijiquan are contained in this set: differentiating Yin and Yang, waist rotation, harmonising feet, body, hands and Jing, Chi and Shen, no beginning no ending, etc etc. My own understanding of these principles has deepened immeasurably these past few months through practice of this set and I attribute this to the following reasons:

(1) - In this long repetitive set, with its many different patterns, one practices these principles many times over, in many different ways. Practicing the same principle in a multitude of ways deepens one's understanding of that principle and one's skill in using the principle.

The beginning of the set illustrates this point: the use of waist rotation to control the movement from Cloud Hands into Grasping Sparrow's Tail through the right, left and right turns. A less experienced practitioner might revert to shoulder motion for this bit. Through practice of the set however one can gain the skill in using correct waist rotation for this sequence, thereby deepening one's overall understanding and skill of correct waist rotation. This is just one of many examples in this wonderful set.

(2) - The characteristic softness and smoothness of the set allows the practitioner to really feel these principles in motion leading to a deeper experience of the principles. (Of course in combat we also practice the set fast and hard, but that's to be discussed in the fourth fabulous feature!)

(3) - A lot of the patterns are found in our 12 Combat Sequences. Practitioners familiar with the sequences will therefore already know most of the form, allowing them understand the principles relating to the form on a deeper level. This does not for example apply to the Wudang set where most of the patterns are quite different (and at a higher level) to what we train in our combat sequences.

(4) - Related to the first point above, but worth mentioning in its own right, the set is wonderfully balanced - we practice a lot of the patterns on both our left and right-hand sides. This adds a sense of completeness to the set and further succeeds in deepening one's understanding of the principles of Taijiquan. Sequence seven of the set illustrates this point well - when we repeat the White Crane/Green Dragon/Needle at Sea Bottom/Dodge Extend Arm sequence, but this time on our left hand side, we are gaining a different perspective on the same underlying principles which we need to execute the sequence. This deepens ours skills.

Six weeks from tomorrow the fun starts in Killarney!

Can't wait!!!

Comment

Fabulous Feature Number Four: The applications for combat.

Characterised by softness, smoothness and flow, the 108-Pattern Taijiquan set is deep meditation in motion. As with all our Taijiquan however, we can also practice the set fast and hard, a point we all saw beautifully illustrated by Sigung at the recent Wudang Taijiquan intensive in Penang. When we practice the set in this manner we are given an extraordinary array of techniques for self defence and combat. It is this aspect of the set that I see as being the fourth fabulous feature of the set.

The set is complete from a combat point of view. We have techniques to defend against all the four modes of attack: strikes, kicks, fells and Chin na. Equally we have techniques to counter against any of these attacks. We have an infinite number of possible combat sequences arising from the set that when practiced correctly, would serve us well in any free sparring competition.

Two parts of the set have been particularly wonderful for my combat training this past while: (1) the series of kicks than span the end of sequences 3 and all of sequence 4, and (2) the four Jade Girls in the four different directions in sequence 5.

The series of kicks have very much helped me improve my skills in kicking - an aspect of my training which needs much improvement!

The four Jade girl patterns have helped me deepen my skills in correctly executing strikes by really training me to get the strikes to come up off my back leg. It a beautiful part of the set that trains many other aspects of our Taijiquan as well.

Regarding the completeness of the set from a combat point of view, Sigung states perfectly:

Following the inspiration of Zhang San Feng, the set itself contains more than enough material for triple cultivation, i.e. the training of form, energy and mind. In other words, there is no need to borrow any martial techniques, chi kung exercises or meditation methods from outside. The set is self-contained and its accomplishments range from the basic to the supreme.
                        Only four weeks to go!

Can't wait!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

With the 108-Pattern Yang style course only four weeks away, now seems like a good time to ask: how are everybody's experiences of learning the set so far? Would anybody like to share? What are people's expectations of the course?

Four weeks to go...Four weeks!!!

Getting very excited now...

Comment

Dear Kevin Sihing,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights into the Yang 108 Set. I have really enjoyed reading them.

One of the biggest things I have noticed from learning the set the last few weeks is that my feet, body and hands have become more one as I go through the set. I think because of this the forms feel more efficient and feel more beautiful.

My expectations of the course is to experience the Yang 108 set brought to life and to witness the beauty of true Tai Chi Chuan mastery as always from Sigung. Being on a course with Sigung is always out of this world. I think it is going to be very very special.

Shaolin Salute,
                            Dominic.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Roche View Post
                              Dear Kevin Sihing,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights into the Yang 108 Set. I have really enjoyed reading them.

One of the biggest things I have noticed from learning the set the last few weeks is that my feet, body and hands have become more one as I go through the set. I think because of this the forms feel more efficient and feel more beautiful.

My expectations of the course is to experience the Yang 108 set brought to life and to witness the beauty of true Tai Chi Chuan mastery as always from Sigung. Being on a course with Sigung is always out of this world. I think it is going to be very very special.

Shaolin Salute,
                              Dominic.
                              Thank you for sharing Dominic! Oh yes indeed, Valentine's 2014 will be very cosmic!

Not long to go now ....

Comment

mystery 1 |ˈmɪst(ə)ri|
                                noun ( pl. mysteries )
                                1 something that is difficult or impossible to understand or explain: the mysteries of outer space | what happened after he left home that day remains a mystery.

Fabulous Feature Number Five: The mystery.

And so to my fifth and final fabulous feature of the 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan set: its all pervading mystery.

This of course is not unique to the set, but in fact encompasses the entirety of our wonderful art. It is the aspect of Taijiquan that is simply impossible to explain and difficult to understand.

We can see and hear the art, and we can experience and somehow 'know' the art. We can feel the many benefits it offers. There are countless ways to study its history and philosophy and many ways in which we can occupy our minds thinking about it. We can talk all day about it to our brothers and sisters in the same way we might converse about a loved one.

But yet, the art in itself is not owned by anyone and it is not born as part of anyone. It is a separate entity all in itself. If we have the tremendous fortune in this lifetime to meet a teacher who is wise enough to truly understand the art and kind enough to teach it to us (someone like Sigung!) we can, with practice and time, feel it flourish within as it nourishes us within. In this regard, it can become very much part of us.

But yet, if everybody in the world stopped practicing in the morning it would still exist, somewhere out there in the cosmos in some imperceivable form - it just wouldn't be finding expression through us. In this I see a wonderful mystery, a wonderful unknown. Just what is Taijiquan?

Thankfully the answer to this question is not important to us and neither is it important to our training. We simply don't worry, we don't intellectualize and we enjoy our practice and the many benefits it brings. And that of course is what it is all about!

So that concludes my Five Fabulous Features of the 108 Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan set. There are of course countless more and in less than two weeks the true splendor of the set will be made manifest in the ballroom of the Brehon hotel in Killarney through Sigung's profound wisdom and generosity. It will be an absolute privilege to be there.

Can't wait!!!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                                X