Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Yang 108 Pattern set - Valentine's 2014

Dear Shaolin Family,

In just over three months from now, Grandmaster Wong returns to Ireland for another magical week of Chi Kung, Tai Chi Chuan and the famous 36 Strategies – Valentine's 2014 is upon us!

If the Iron Wire set at Valentine's two years ago was 'Awesome', what can we say about the Yang 108 pattern set, which as everyone knows, is being taught over four full days next February?

The 'Immaculate' Yang 108 pattern set?
    The 'Supreme' Yang 108 pattern set?
    The 'Magnificent” Yang 108 pattern set?

I'm not sure which adjective is the best fit as they all suit so well!

I am opening this thread to facilitate a discussion on both the set and next February's four day epic:

What are people's experiences of practicing the set? What health and combat benefits have they received from it?
    What are people's experiences of learning the set for next February?
    Who else is REALLY EXCITED about learning the set from Sigung in just over three short months time?

I may be wrong in saying this but I think this may be the most in-depth teaching of the Yang 108 pattern set that Sigung has ever given! Extraordinary!!!

I'm looking forward to a good lively discussion on this absolute treasure of Tai Chi Chuan.

All the best,

Kevin

Let us first ponder the history and philosophy of this wonderful set as described by Sigung:

This 108-Pattern Yang Set, sometimes called the Long Form, is the standard set in Yang Style Taijiquan, and was invented by the great Taijiquan master, Yang Deng Fu. It was also the first Taijiquan set Grandmaster Wong learned when he was interested in Taijiquan about 40 years ago (about 1975).

At that time Grandmaster Wong ran to a public park in Alor Setar in Malaysia every morning to practice his Shaolin Kungfu, especially the Dragon Form Set. There he found a Taijiquan master practicing the 108-Pattern Set. One morning Grandmaster Wong asked the master whether he would like to exchange his Taijiquan Set for some combat applications.

The master declined, saying that Grandmaster Wong's Shaolin was too hard, and Taijiquan was only soft. This put Grandmaster Wong off, as he clearly remembered his teacher, Grandmaster Ho Fatt Nam, had told him that all great arts were both hard and soft.

Grandmaster Wong thought to himself that he might learn from the inventor of the set himself through books. So Grandmaster Wong bought all the Taijiquan books he could find, especially those by Yang Deng Fu.

Today the Wahnam version of this 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan Set is different from the one Grandmaster Wong first learned, which was the orthodox version practiced by Yang Style practitioners. This is because Grandmaster Wong made some modifications to meet some expedient needs.

This 108-Pattern Yang Style Taijiquan is a beautiful set. It incorporates all the important principles of Taijiquan, like rotation of the waist, no beginning no ending, and exploiting an opponent's force, and enables practitioners to achieve all the three distinct levels of attainment, namely good health, combat efficiency and spiritual development.

Following the inspiration of Zhang San Feng, the set itself contains more than enough material for triple cultivation, i.e. the training of form, energy and mind. In other words, there is no need to borrow any martial techniques, chi kung exercises or meditation methods from outside. The set is self-contained and its accomplishments range from the basic to the supreme.
    Taken from http://www.shaolin.org/general-2/kun...8-pattern.html

Comment

Dear Kevin Siheng

I'll start learning and practicing the set next week only, but I wanted to post in advance to show you my appreciation for your enthusiasm, so: Thank you very much for starting this thread ! I'm still working on the financial aspect of attending the Valentine's 2014, but I'm positive that things will work out!

There were a few unusual thoughts/insights that have gone through my mind the instant I read about the Yang 108 Pattern set. But I'll talk more about that when I've practiced a bit of the set. Less talk, more action for once !

Shaolin greetings from Switzerland!
      Fabienne

Comment

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for opening this lovely thread on the 108 pattern Yang Style set.

I am really looking forward to hearing everybody's views on it and welcoming so many of our Shaolin Wahnam Family (old and new) to Ireland in February.

It is going to be so much Fun and yet so profound in all aspects.

Smile from the Heart,
        Joan Sifu
        Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
        GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
        ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
        THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Thank you Sifu!

Oh yes, it is going to be very special indeed. As Sigung states above:

Following the inspiration of Zhang San Feng, the set itself contains more than enough material for triple cultivation, i.e. the training of form, energy and mind. In other words, there is no need to borrow any martial techniques, chi kung exercises or meditation methods from outside. The set is self-contained and its accomplishments range from the basic to the supreme.
          WOW!

Hi Fabienne,

Thank you for your post.

I have no doubt we will be seeing you here next February, and you will be so very welcome! When the 'Course-with-Sigung' Chi starts flowing the logistics of making it to the course always seem to fall into place. Having had the privilege of already learning this magnificent set from Sigung I can assure you that Valentine's 2014 will be the stuff of Tai Chi legend!

I look forward to reading your thoughts and insights! I'll be posting about my own experiences of training the set here as well shortly.

Happy training of the set!

All the best,

Kevin

Comment

Dear Kevin Sihing,

Thank you for starting this thread and thank you for your incredible enthusiasm, I look forward to be on this course with you.

It is certainly so so exciting to have the opportunity to learn this set from Sigung next February. It is going to be incredible to receive Sigung’s profound teaching again.

Thank you Sigung and thank you Sifu for this beautiful opportunity to further our development in the beautiful art of Tai Chi Chuan.

Sifu has been teaching us this set for a few weeks now and I am really really enjoying it. I love the flow of this set and how good it feels to practice it.

I feel from practicing this set, my ability to relax has improved and my Chi Flows after have been really beautiful. I have no doubt that there is something very special about this set and I feel I have developed spiritually over the last few weeks. I also feel from practicing this set that my six harmonies have improved and I feel more grounded yet free after a practice session.

Happy training to you Sihing

Shaolin Salute,
            Dominic.

Comment

Dominic! Brother! Great post!

Oh yes, I am very much looking forward to training with you again too. This is going to be one of the classic Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan courses and it will be a pleasure to share the experience with you. You are simply an inspiration.

Very interesting insights about the set! I absolutely agree regarding relaxation - the sheer length and demands of the set require a deepening of many skills and relaxation is certainly one of them.

The excitement grows!

Kevin

Comment

Expanding on the history and philosophy of the set, let us ponder this wonderful insight from Sigung (which was posted here on the forum in advance of last year' Valentine's):

Yang Lu Chan is regarded as the First Patriarch of Yang Style Taijiquan. This gives the impression that Yang Lu Chan used Yang Style Taijiquan in his friendly sparring with masters of various styles during his travels all over China. He always won, winning the prestigious title “Yang the Ever Victorious”.

Many people, including many Yang stylists, do not know that what Yang Lu Chan used in his ever victorious fights was not Yang Style Taijiquan, but Chen Style Taijiquan! Yang Lu Chan did not invent Yang Style Taijiquan. He might not even have seen any Yang Style Taijiquan!

Yang Style Taijiquan was invented by his grandson, Yang Deng Fu. Yang Deng Fu was a great fighter, but he explicitly said that he invented Yang Style Taijiquan for health. This did not mean that Yang Style Taijiquan was not effective for fighting. Yang Deng Fu changed Chen Style to Yang Style by enlarging and rounding the movements of the Taijiquan he learned from his father, Yang Chien Hou, and performing the movements slowly and gracefully.

Then, why is Yang Lu Chan and not Yang Deng Fu regarded as the First Patriarch of Yang Style Taijiquan? There is no definite answer, just as there is no definite answer why many practitioners regard their style as Hoong Ka (Hung Gar) Kungfu instead of Luk Ka Kungfu, and their First Patriarch as Hoong Hei Khoon instead of Luk Ah Choy, though actually Luk Ah Choy was their first patriarch.

It was probably that Yang stylists in particular and people in general honoured Yang Lu Chan for bringing Taijiquan out from the Chen Village where Chen Style Taijiquan was exclusively practiced only by selected Chen family members.

Another interesting fact was that when Chen Style Taijiquan was first brought out of China, people were very surprised because it looked more like Shaolin Kungfu than what they conceptualized Taijiquan to be! At first many people found it hard to believe what they saw was Taijiquan. It was forceful with fast movements – very unlike the slow, graceful and gentle movements they were used to seeing how Taijiquan was performed.

Flowing Water Floating Clouds is an excellent example of Chen Style Taijiquan that Yang Lu Chan practiced. It is almost ridiculous to reflect that although Yang Lu Chan was originally wealthy, he had to work as a servant for many years to “steal” Taijiquan from the Chen Village, whereas our family members can now learn it in just a few days in beautiful Ireland.
                Taken from here: http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/sho...gift-from-Sifu!

Comment

This seven minute picture movie is amazing: it presents Yang Deng Fu (on the right) and his student (on the left) performing the Yang set.

I am unsure but I assume the images are taken from Yang Deng Fu's 'Essence and Applications of Taijiquan' (published 1934).

How does our Wahnam version compare?

Comment

Dear Kevin Sihing,

That is a beautiful video and it is very interesting to watch and see the similarities.

Thank you for sharing

Shaolin Salute,

Dominic.

Comment

Thank you Dominic!

It is indeed a wonderful video - both informative and hugely inspiring!

I did a bit of research and can confirm that the pictures of Yang Deng Fu are taken from his 1934 publication 'Essence and Applications of Taijiquan'.

Wow!!

And here is another interesting video - pencil drawings of the very same pictures set to some fabulous music. Gorgeous!

Comment

Dear Kevin and Wahnam family.

Is there a video of the 108 pattern set that Sifu will teach in February?
                        I tried to find it but couldn't.
                        Can't wait to start practicing! 😊

Nessa
                        Nessa Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland
                        Instructor
                        nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear Nessa,

Here you can find Sifu performing our version of the set: http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-8...8-pattern.html

Have fun learning and practicing it!

Best wishes,

Leo
                          Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Shaolin Treasure House

Shaolin Wahnam Wien & Shaolin Treasure House

Comment

Thank you, Leo.
                            I will.

Best wishes,
                            Nessa
                            Nessa Kahila
                            Shaolin Nordic Finland
                            Instructor
                            nessa@shaolin-nordic.com

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Just embed
                              So wonderful to listen to the birds

Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
                              Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
                              http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
                              http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
                              http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Working...
                              X