Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stories for Sifu's autobiography, "The Way of the Master"

Dear Family and Friends,

I heard from Emiko Sije the very good news that Sifu/Sigung will be completing his autobiography, "The Way of the Master", and I also heard that students are being invited to share their experiences with Sifu in writing here.

I thought about what I could share, and I think the very first experience I have had with Sifu, almost 10 years ago, is one of the fondest and most special memories I can think of. I hope it makes for an enjoyable read

Thank you from my heart to Sifu for everything that he has been sharing - recalling these moments and putting them in writing was a wonderful experience!

With much love and respect,

Hubert.

"Today is going to be the best day of your life!"

There have been many memorable and heart-warming moments shared with Sifu, but the one that immediately springs to mind is the first course that I ever attended. This was the first time I met a master who could transmit skills to his students - not just explaining, or presenting, or teaching, but literally transmitting.

In early 2003, I started to develop some minor pain in the right wrist. Over time, the pain grew and spread over the right arm, and into the right shoulder. No amount of regular (or non-regular) medecine seemed to have much effect. After having tried all sorts of things, I eventually registered at a Tai Chi class nearby, thinking that it would probably be good for the joints. I attended the weekly lessons, and enjoyed learning about Chi Kung and Tai Chi Chuan.

One day, the instructor brought us a print-out of an article he had found on the internet. "It's a very well-written article. You might find it useful," he told us. The article was called, "Getting the Best Benefits from Your Training," by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit. (It is available here: http://www.shaolin.org/general/benefits.html.)

Looking back, I believe that the first transmission I got from Sifu was through his writing. There was the same clarity, practicality, and comprehensive presentation that I later found out was his trademark.

I did more research, and found out that Sifu was giving a course in Scotland the following week. I quickly registered, booked my flight, and one week later, in the morning of February 14, 2004, I was seated in a nice venue in Edinburgh, waiting for Sifu to arrive for the first session of the course.

I remember the moment vividly: the door of the gymnasium swung open, and Sifu entered with a contagiously confident and energetic gait, cheerfully greeting us with a loud, "Good morning everybody!" It was hard not to feel uplifted! He walked to the front of the stage, turned around, smiled warmly, and I will never forget his words: "Today is going to be the best day of your life!"

There was such confidence in these words that something remarkable happened: I believed him. It was only the very beginning of the course, but Sifu had already woken up something inside of me.

Not wasting any time, he proceeded to teach us how to go into a "chi kung state of mind". He gave us clear and simple instructions, and walked among us while we were trying them out. I remember that he walked past me, and stopped for a moment. I had my eyes closed, and I heard him say very gently, "Ah, now you can relax more."

Well, it now rather pains me to confess that my first reaction was to be a bit upset, thinking to myself, "What? But, I am very relaxed!" Sifu silently stayed beside me while I was having my internal drama, and somehow, through his proximity, I ended up not being able to stay "stuck". Whatever was tight became looser, and I was indeed able to let go further. Sifu then walked back to the front of the venue, and said, "Now, don't think how, just smile from the heart."

And I felt joy - not happiness, or pleasure, or a fleeting satisfaction. I felt a spontaneous and effortless whirlpool of joy growing from within, spreading through my whole body. I forgot about pain, sorrow, or worry. Before I knew it my body was moving in various ways, and I knew that everything I had read on Sifu's website was true.

Over the weekend, true to his character, Sifu did not hold back: he not only transmitted to us the imprint of good health and vitality, but also that of righteousness, and goodness of character and spirit. He inspired us to become the best person we could be.

It was of course up to us to sustain and nurture it by continuing to practice regularly on our own, but the transmission was given to us as a gift. We did not work for it, or earn it. It was given freely. This generosity was another aspect of Sifu that I witnessed on numerous occasions.

I finished the course with no pain, and with a sensation of a warm, glowing ball inside my abdomen. Over time, the pain in my wrist occasionally reappeared for a day here and there, but eventually faded. More importantly, I had been given a completely new outlook on life.

I have had many wonderful and important days since then, but Sifu was right: that day, when he offered us the gift of chi flow and smiling from the heart, was the best day of my life.
    Last edited by Hubert; 6 October 2013, 04:33 AM.
    Hubert Razack
    www.shaolinwahnam.fr
    www.sourireducoeur.fr

A wonderful testimonial from a wonderful person.

Thanks Brother

Maxime Citerne, Chinese Medicine, Qigong Healing & Internal Arts

Frankfurt - Paris - Alsace

France: www.institut-anicca.com

Germany: www.anicca-institute.com

Comment

Wonderful thank you.

Best wishes from Ireland
      Mark

Comment

Working...
      X